Breaking: Pete Deboer Fired

devilsrule33

No "shame" in any of this. PDB was not a good coach and his track record proved that. Sure the talent was lacking, and perhaps that's why he got so much rope, but the team had too many no show efforts, too many late game collapses, and too many frustrating moronic lineup and shootout decisions. It was time to go.

I wonder if DeBoer keeps his job if we go anything less than .500 in the next few weeks before Christmas. It's home-heavy and features opponents like the Hurricanes (twice), Senators, Lightning (tough team that we usually beat), the lowly Flyers, Capitals and Stars. 

I think anything less than .500, with so many of them being at home, could lead to a major shakeup ahead of a pivotal December 27th game at MSG. 

I called this a few weeks ago lol http://njdevs.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=134167&page=16#entry1293830

I expect Deboer to be a head coach next year in the league. No one around the league talks about Deboer or the Devils because no one is shocked by this roster's record. He was never on any perceived hot seat because most insiders or hockey people think this collection of players is atrocious.

I wish there was something exciting that could change with a new team, but the only thing that could be done is Larsson getting 20 minutes a night if he shows he deserves it instead of Harrold. That's the only thing that a new coach can change personnel wise. Everything else is re-arranging deck chairs.

Edited by devilsrule33

Lou can't fire himself. This was the only option.

3.5 years is a eternity for Lou.

Yes.  Which adds intrigue to what he does with the roster the rest of this year and if there is any changes in the offing in the front office.  I don't want to engender speculation, but I've heard from a few people there may be at the very least some changes in the front office this offseason (even if Lou stays).

This is a shame, I'm surprised to hear this. I really did think he was a solid coach. News like this makes me concerned though because I hope Lou doesn't really think that the squad he put together is worth much. They aren't gonna flourish under a new coach

With that being said, I will say that the blown leads with this team over the last two seasons was unaunacceptable,and I have no problem putting a lot of that on PDB.

Edited by Onddeck

I expect Deboer to be a head coach next year in the league. No one around the league talks about Deboer or the Devils because no one is shocked by this roster's record. He was never on any perceived hot seat because most insiders or hockey people think this collection of players is atrocious.

I wish there was something exciting that could change with a new team, but the only thing that could be done is Larsson getting 20 minutes a night if he shows he deserves it instead of Harrold. That's the only thing that a new coach can change personnel wise. Everything else is re-arranging deck chairs.

....on the Titanic.