John Hynes of Pens AHL team expected to be Next coach.

RunninWithTheDevil

Our options are dwindling.  I really think we go the AHL route.  With the exception of a few guys, traditionally this team has hired guys with some, and in most cases a LOT, of coaching and/or playing experience at the NHL level, so it would be quite different to go that route, but we also tend to hire within, and bringing in an AHL coach would be doing just that. It would be someone who "knows the organization" at least on some level, and a guy who is probably young enough that he will be the coach for years to come. 

Our options are dwindling.  I really think we go the AHL route.  With the exception of a few guys, traditionally this team has hired guys with some, and in most cases a LOT, of coaching and/or playing experience at the NHL level, so it would be quite different to go that route, but we also tend to hire within, and bringing in an AHL coach would be doing just that. It would be someone who "knows the organization" at least on some level, and a guy who is probably young enough that he will be the coach for years to come. 

Are you hinting at Kowalsky? I don't see it, great guy for sure.  He's a solid company guy that has gotten marginally talented at best rosters  in Albany (some years not as bad as others) and hasn't had much success to speak about.  Great company guy that just rolls with the punches, Shero has zero ties/loyalty to the guy and I would seriously question Shero's autonomy if it ended up being Rick. No way imo.

If not Rick who were you thinking about in the AHL?

Are you hinting at Kowalsky? I don't see it, great guy for sure. He's a solid company guy that has gotten marginally talented at best rosters in Albany (some years not as bad as others) and hasn't had much success to speak about. Great company guy that just rolls with the punches, Shero has zero ties/loyalty to the guy and I would seriously question Shero's autonomy if it ended up being Rick. No way imo.

I've mentioned the fact that I like Kowalsky a number of times since DeBoer got fired. I think I was just ignored every time.

I think the guy from WB/Scranton will end up getting the job. I don't think they want a guy like Paul Mac right now. That NHL.com article mentioned those two and a Washington assistant, but they were citing "speculation".

I could see Hynes based on the tie to Shero if they go the guy with no NHL coaching experience route.  For Kowalsky I think the odds of him getting let go are better than him ever getting the job. Not saying it's fair by any stretch. 

Are you hinting at Kowalsky? I don't see it, great guy for sure. He's a solid company guy that has gotten marginally talented at best rosters in Albany (some years not as bad as others) and hasn't had much success to speak about. Great company guy that just rolls with the punches, Shero has zero ties/loyalty to the guy and I would seriously question Shero's autonomy if it ended up being Rick. No way imo.

Yeah, from an inside perspective he is one I think is a possibility, and I wouldn't necessarily be thrilled about it, but at the same time I'm willing to try it.

And if not for him, then I could see us trying to pick the pocket of another team and nab an AHL coach elsewhere that has had more success. No names off the top of my head, but I know there's guys who have had good tracker records. Cooper in Tampa I'd the best proven and most recent exampke I can think of.

This move also makes the most sense because a lot of current/ex NHL coaches and/or guys with NHL experience may not want to come here because it doesn't sound promising or exciting based on the current roster and circumstances, but an AHL coach on the other hand woukd likely be happy just to have the opportunity.

Looks/sounds like we're going to bring in a fresh new face (a guy with limited NHL experience) to rebuild the franchise.

Which I'm okay with, I guess.. because it worked out so well the last time we tried that, right?

Having another John MacLean season would be pretty great for the Devils considering the position they are in.  Although in fairness they basically had a John MacLean half-season once Lou took over coaching and Schneider saved the team.

saw that (Houseley) on twitter.  The Devils are in "rebuild" mode, hopefully if he's the guy, he can work with younger players. Anyway, he's always been an offensive guy. Also, he has a young mobile defense.

I don't like how coaches and execs that are getting promoting can still be subject to compensation.  There is at least an argument that it was a lateral move but who would want not only take on a novice head coach, pay them, and then also give up a pick for them?  If Housley is an assistant getting his first head coaching job, there shouldn't be compensation attached to it.

I don't like how coaches and execs that are getting promoting can still be subject to compensation.  There is at least an argument that it was a lateral move but who would want not only take on a novice head coach, pay them, and then also give up a pick for them?  If Housley is an assistant getting his first head coaching job, there shouldn't be compensation attached to it.

I dont see it as a bad thing if the guy is currently employed somewhere. Its another like with the case of Shero/Bylsma where the guy has been canned already and is still just under contract. If the guy is canned, compensation should not be necessary. 

That said, I don't want the Devils to hire anyone that requires compensation to acquire considering where/how we're currently situated. 3rd round picks are assets which we desperately need.

One thing to consider is that someone like Housley may have an out in his current contract that would allow him to take a head coaching job elsewhere without compensation since its a promotion rather than a lateral head coach to head coach type of move. I can't say I'm for or against Housley at this point. I like his pedigree and I like that he's been with Nashville two years and we've seen what he's done with guys like Seth Jones and his national team work speaks for itself. But, Scott Stevens has been pretty good with Adam Larsson and Severson so far. I'd rather give Stevens a crack at this point than Housley. Housley could be what Gelinas needs. I think there's pros and cons to both Housley/Stevens. 

Edited by ghdi