Lou's Future

Daniel

Though I am in the leeway-for-Lou camp still (to a certain extent), this is an excellent post Triumph. As far as what the Devils need to do going forward, this is on the money.

I'm not saying Lou should be fired.  I think the case for him and against him are pretty even right now.  The scales likely will be tipped for me this summer.

I'm not saying Lou should be fired. I think the case for him and against him are pretty even right now. The scales likely will be tipped for me this summer.

As owner, if you feel that way, I think you need to ask Lou what his general game plan is for this offseason. If it involves lots of short term fix ideas then I think you'd have to let him go. If it involves a long term philosophy then you let him keep the reins.

The owners are comfortable waiting in the NBA, and I assume they'll be comfortable waiting in the NHL, so I don't expect trading first round picks for 30+ year old players.

I'm not saying Lou should be fired. I think the case for him and against him are pretty even right now. The scales likely will be tipped for me this summer.

That's how I feel. I don't think it's over-dramatic to say this is the most important offseason in the history of the franchise. It's a turning point for what is going to happen for the next 5-10 years. Lou has to hit home runs, or its gonna be time to go.

To me this summer is super important and will HAVE to be a turning point for the franchise. A new chapter.

So why should we start something new, a new idea, direction or wtv... with someone who could very well not see the end of it? Why not pass the torch to someone younger who could litteraly still be here for the next 10-15 years? 

Im not saying Lou is gonna die in the next 3 years but realistically... at his age it's quite possible that his health could become a problem. That's just life. Statistic and anything you'd look at would agree with this. And it's quite fair to consider (again at his age) that his heart could just give up suddenly.

Well Lou has so much control, has so many roles and do so many things... can you imagine the messe if he's gone from one day to the other? is there even a back up plan for this?

Plus again, even if he stays healthy, how many years does he realistically have left? probably not long enough to see a long term plan from start to finish. So again, why not fresh start with someone who could really carry this new plan long term

The Penguins firing Shero will probably turn out to be one of the dumbest moves ever. 

Shero has set that team up to be 4-5 guys and a lot of nothing.  Rutherford isn't doing the greatest job either, but the Penguins basically have nothing to show for their 2007-2011 drafts.  They've done better lately - Pouliot and Maatta both look like hits - but they have serious depth issues at forward that aren't going away.

We should take a trip down memory lane.

Two main talking points for most of the last decade 

A. Marty is getting old, what are we going to do? - Trades for Cory and he re-signs him before he gets to free agency.

B. Our defense is abysmal, the team can't make an outlet pass to save its life. - Lou skews heavily towards drafting defenseman, and replenishes our cupboard. 

Lou will get us forwards this offseason through the draft and shrewd trades.

We should take a trip down memory lane.

Two main talking points for most of the last decade 

A. Marty is getting old, what are we going to do? - Trades for Cory and he re-signs him before he gets to free agency.

B. Our defense is abysmal, the team can't make an outlet pass to save its life. - Lou skews heavily towards drafting defenseman, and replenishes our cupboard. 

Lou will get us forwards this offseason through the draft and shrewd trades.

I realize you use the word shrewd in there but you still have to have assets to acquire talent.  The Devils have none.  This team is expansion team bad.  They are absolutely horrible.  The best bet would be to trade their 1 asset and be very bad for a couple more years and then make their way back.

First off - great discussion here in this thread. It's nice to see we're all still capable of nice discussion without bickering - this miserable season clearly took its toll on everyone at times.

Anyway, this won't surprise anyone, but I'm in the "time for change" camp.

I respect and admire everything Lou has done for this organization. And he was dealt some sh!tty hands over the past few years, without a doubt. But I do think the game has somewhat passed him by.

Is he still a capable GM? Probably, for a few years yet. But this team is in need of:

1) A new head coach

2) A complete rebuild of the forward corps

3) A new philosophy, both on and off the ice

4) A new approach to the draft

And, again just imo, it makes sense to start this transition with a new GM.

Who that would be? Good question. But even if there isn't necessarily a much better option out there, I think it's still worth exploring if you can find a young, fresh mind that understands what this team needs.

Because if Lou is still convinced this team is remotely competitive, he can do some immemse damage this summer. If he trades the 1st for an overpaid winger, or signs one of the guys some of you have mentioned to a bloated contract he could set the Devils back for years yet.

Time for a change.

Edited by Devilsfan118

I realize you use the word shrewd in there but you still have to have assets to acquire talent.  The Devils have none.  This team is expansion team bad.  They are absolutely horrible.  The best bet would be to trade their 1 asset and be very bad for a couple more years and then make their way back.

Ryane Clowe for Semin with cash retained is a deal we can make.

Merrill, Larsson, Gelinas, or Severson could be traded. 

Phil Kessel is going to get traded for a large discount considering the uncertainty surrounding him. The Devils can certain be players in that whole saga.

Ryane Clowe for Semin with cash retained is a deal we can make.

Merrill, Larsson, Gelinas, or Severson could be traded. 

Phil Kessel is going to get traded for a large discount considering the uncertainty surrounding him. The Devils can certain be players in that whole saga.

How much are we paying for Semin then?  How much better does he make the team?  I could see one of the young d going but they aren't going to bring back much.  Kessel might go for below value but he's not going for nothing.  I'd rather trade off the assets we have and build through the draft and resemble Ottawa more than the lat 90s Rangers' teams.  

Or maybe the Penguins are feeling the affects of a mediocre job he's done for a decade. The Penguins drafted 1, 2, 1, 3, with 2nd and 3rd picks being generational talents. The fact that they are barely going to make the playoffs 10 months from his firing won't make it the dumbest move ever.

Now the hiring of Rutherford...

I guess it was the Rutherford as replacement that I was getting at. Not that Shero is the lord's gift, but I find that firing a GM based on playoff performance is one of the worst ways to run a team. And drafting players like Matta and Pouliot were very shrewd moves for a very top heavy team.

Anyway it's a thread about Lou, so I'll leave it at that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really? i've been over this like 20, 000 times already and no one want to hear it again lol but wtv...

He basically gave them all an ultimatum to make sure he was not losing them for nothing and made sure to be getting a return for them if he couldnt keep them, they approached the player at the right time too. Same with Shero with Letang and Staal.

I mean it's really not as if i never mentioned this lol but even though we don't like them, those 2 GM proved that you need to make those moves. They kept control of their assets all along. Lou tends to run things the ground and give full control to the players to walk or not, not protecting his assets at all, if they want to re-sign already well its no problem. But if they are on the fence, its guarantee they'll test the market or walk. Other GMs are not letting this happen.

Lou is and NJ is the team who have let the most talent walk for nothing in the last 10 years and by far. And it's mostly because of that. Its not cause Lou is dumb or doesnt know what he's doing, he's just sticking to an approach that doesnt work anymore that loyalty is mostly gone.

Your Lou rant on FA always overlooks the business side. JVB needed cash. He needed to have as much perceived value as he could. This moves support that desire, end of story. In a healthy franchise your argument makes sense.

I think the thing with Lou, and this kind of plays in to what Triumph was saying about long-term vs. short-term earlier, is that he has always operated to maximize results of the team he has in front of him. He seems to rather get as much wins as the team can in every season, rather then take a step back and avoid 'chance' contracts to aging veterans, for the result of having a stronger future. I don't know if he can be the latter type of manager, but we are off to a good start with the draft picks we have this year.

Sure it will be slightly tougher to watch this team get 33-35 wins next year, than sign a few vets and win 38-40. games. However, it will be even tougher when in no time at all 2017 is staring us in the face, and we are still seeing the same story over and over again: Ryder-type signings, Salvador-type re-signings, and rehashing past Devils to reclaim 1/4 of their former glory.

Edited by Neb00rs

I realize you use the word shrewd in there but you still have to have assets to acquire talent. The Devils have none. This team is expansion team bad. They are absolutely horrible. The best bet would be to trade their 1 asset and be very bad for a couple more years and then make their way back.

See oilers.

I have not posted here in a while but it's shocking how many Devils fans are down on Lou and doubting his abilities. The man is solely responsible for this franchise's successes, modeled by other good GM's around the league but all the spoiled brats want to chase him out of NJ with torch and pitchfork in hand. Lou can never do enough for some of you people. And to those I heartedly say, go join the Islanders bandwagon or some other "sexy" team and after they sink into oblivion, perhaps then you'll learn to appreciate a classy franchise like the NJ Devils and appreciate a legendary GM like Lou Lamoriello. Because I am fully confident he will turn it around this year and make the team successful. He'll find a way. He always does.

Edited by maniacdevsdude

I have not posted here in a while but it's shocking how many Devils fans are down on Lou and doubting his abilities. The man is the closest thing to a hockey genius this league has ever seen, modeled by other good GM's around the league but all the spoiled brats want to chase him out of NJ with torch and pitchfork in hand. Lou can never do enough for some of you people. And to those I heartedly say, go join the Islanders bandwagon or some other "sexy" team and after they sink into oblivion, perhaps then you'll learn to appreciate a classy franchise like the NJ Devils and appreciate a legendary GM like Lou Lamoriello.

I think part of the idea for some is that he's not going to be around much longer anyway....  For others he has made a lot of mistakes.  The Brodeur era is long past over and the Devils have a horrible roster that Lou is responsible for.  You're right, Lou is a smart guy and has had a ton of success.  But, he has to prove that he isn't going to bandaid fix this team because that doesn't work.

I started watching this team right around when Lou came to NJ and I'll still be watching when he's gone. As much as I appreciate what Lou has done for this team I'm a fan of the team before any individual (logo on the front of the jersey). And I always will be. If I feel that someone can do a better job than Lou at this stage in his career then I'm going to express my opinion. There will still be NJ Devils hockey after Lou Lamorillo.

Lou is still the master builder. I blame a lot of this mess on Conte not being able to deliver on our top picks (aside from Parise and Larsson). You build winning teams from the goal out. He is doing the right things but just not getting the right young parts upfront. Next year is promising.

• Like 1