GDT: Devils @ Washington - 7:00 PM

CommonDreads

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Winnable game - I couldn't really catch much of the third, seems like it fell apart there, but a way better effort than game 1.  I'm really liking Tlusty and Kalinin's making the right small plays too.  

he's who Im most impressed with, good hands and strong sense. so far he's always in the right spot making the right play. unfortunately theres not much else..wonder when the line tinkering will start

edit: actually Im liking Larsson and Merrill somewhat, we need to rely on them to bring the puck up with some determination, which both are capable of

Edited by EdgeControl

Tlusty has looked really solid up the wing along the boards and in the offensive zone. It's early but he looks like a potential bright spot and if he holds up I hope Shero and Co. look at keeping him for a few years further.

Tlusty has looked really solid up the wing along the boards and in the offensive zone. It's early but he looks like a potential bright spot and if he holds up I hope Shero and Co. look at keeping him for a few years further.

I'd almost rather them do that than ship him off for potential pieces at the deadline

told myself this year that i'd stop ditching my buddies on game night just to watch a game by myself at my place and end up regretting not doing something else instead lol

so this is how it went... chilling with my buddies watching another game... checked my phone at some point... 2-1 caps.. telling myself... oh sweet at least we scored... then checked again after a bit.... 2-2.... then got sucked in and asked my buddies to put the Devils game for a bit... just to see the Caps score twice.

Lesson learned. 

I didn't like Hynes pulling Kinkaid shorthanded. There was a little time left, and there's no reason he couldn't have let that penalty get killed and immediately bring him out. I wonder if you stats guys could pull up probabilities of a shot being put on goal 5 on 5 against us in the amount of time we had left to kill that penalty.

I didn't like Hynes pulling Kinkaid shorthanded. There was a little time left, and there's no reason he couldn't have let that penalty get killed and immediately bring him out. I wonder if you stats guys could pull up probabilities of a shot being put on goal 5 on 5 against us in the amount of time we had left to kill that penalty.

TG actually posted comments from Hynes on Fire&Ice that they have been working on that play due to the staff looking at the analytics and the success that some teams had last year. Found that interesting.

If anyone is interested, I tracked some zone stats for this game: https://twitter.com/numerartovertag/status/653260860668952576

I was screaming at the TV on one of Gelinas's dump ins - he had 3 forwards bunched up and surely could've gotten a zone entry but didn't.  I'm terrified that this is the coaching staff's direction.  This dump in sh!t is not going to work, not with this group.

In defense of the dump-ins, Caps really clogged the NZ and didn't run a very aggressive forecheck which helped the Devils with their exits but forced a lot of dump-ins. 

That being said, there were probably ~10 cases of guys just dumping it in when they had a good low-risk opportunity to carry the puck in. Also seem to be no plan to it - you'd want the puck carrier putting it in the opposite corner and have a guy drive there hard but many times they just threw it straight in with no-one really going after it.

Maybe I was watching a different game but I felt like Gelinas had one of his best games in a long long time. 

the kid has a really nice skill set, and it looks like he worked on his backwards step out, keeping his feet moving and hasn't been turnstiled yet lol

a nimble skater for his size , but he makes dumb decisions when carrying the puck up

I'd usually agree with Gelinas lacking several crucial facets of the game, but damn, I thought he played really well outside of a giveaway here and there. John Moore had a lot of Gelinas-like mistakes, while Gelinas looked like 2014-2015 Severson on Saturday. Hope he builds on it. Gelly threw in some nice hits too, which is good. He's a BIG guy and I hope he can add some snarl to his game. He won't be as big as Byfuglien, but I hope he can turn into that *type* of player for us. Big, physical, goal-scoring d-man; even if he's 3/4 the player Buff is, that's a good ceiling.

Edited by DJ Eco

Gelinas had a good game, but he was not good on the Tootoo 'goal' (classic Gelinas there, gets neither man nor puck, no idea where to put his stick - it's just unlucky for him that the puck ended up in the net).  I was only singling out Gelinas because it was such an obvious play.  Moore and Merrill are also guilty of this.