New Jersey Devils' Lineup/Roster Thread 2015-16

Triumph

If Hynes trusts this Gragnini fellow to play and man the point for the PP over a heathy Gelinas, I may have to move up my prediction to 2 years until Eric is out of the league. 

Mike Brown, you have to imagine that management and coaches who see him every day know that Gelinas problems are much more than a simple lack of playing time.  The dude just isn't an NHLer IMO.    

9 minutes ago, Mike Brown said:

Haha, are you seriously comparing the two?   One guy at his low was clearly still showing flashes which had the fan base calling for more playing time. DeBoer also had a history of not handling young guys, minus Merrill, well.   Gelinas looks like a mess every time he's on the ice and 2 GMs + 3-5 head/co-head coaches have shared that opinion.   Do you really think it's just a lack of playing time?

Edit: Furthermore, Larsson's biggest problem IMO was that for a while he never showed that he was good enough at any one thing at an NHL level to justify the high pick.  Gelinas is more like the terrible 7'-0" center in college basketball who keeps getting a chance because he's a 7 footer but in reality just sucks 

Edited by Lateralous

Gelinas has shown plenty of flashes.  And the analytics are on his side too.

And I never said anything about lack of playing time.  I said he hasn't gotten consistent playing time.  That's the key.  He's still very young who's shown tons of upside, but without consistent playing time, he'll never become seasoned.  When he was paired with Larsson two seasons ago, he was great.  Then Larsson got hurt, and he got paired with Merrill, and since then his game fell off a little bit.  But he has shown plenty of flashes like the game against the Bruins, and has shown far more positives than negatives.

Also, I don't blame the coaches.  Moore and Schlemko have been too good to take out of the lineup.  The only odd man out was Merrill.  Merrill has literally brought nothing to the team.  Gelinas actually brings something positive, while Merrill doesn't.

I think I'm with Mike Brown here. Gelinas has certainly shown "flashes", especially in his first season. The word Calder was thrown around next to his name when he first came up on this board. Everyone has been quick to defend Severson and even Merrill when they've stumbled for various bits of time, pointing to the fact that defensemen can take longer to develop than forwards and often go through periods of poor play and inconsistency. It wasn't long ago i was watching Larsson with the A Devils in Atlantic City and people were calling for him to be traded for a guy like Kerby Rychel. I don't think Gelinas is definitely going to be a serviceable NHLer, but it's still too soon to say he never will be or that he has no trade value.

1 hour ago, thecoffeecake said:

I think I'm with Mike Brown here. Gelinas has certainly shown "flashes", especially in his first season. The word Calder was thrown around next to his name when he first came up on this board. Everyone has been quick to defend Severson and even Merrill when they've stumbled for various bits of time, pointing to the fact that defensemen can take longer to develop than forwards and often go through periods of poor play and inconsistency. It wasn't long ago i was watching Larsson with the A Devils in Atlantic City and people were calling for him to be traded for a guy like Kerby Rychel. I don't think Gelinas is definitely going to be a serviceable NHLer, but it's still too soon to say he never will be or that he has no trade value.

But that's exactly it. The flashes were in his first season, and he hasn't shown much since. And it's not just that he isn't showing flashes, he's regressing. Larsson and he are different cases.

1 hour ago, Patty4HOF said:

But that's exactly it. The flashes were in his first season, and he hasn't shown much since. And it's not just that he isn't showing flashes, he's regressing. Larsson and he are different cases.

I understand there are different cases, but the parallels are that Larsson was getting the same treatment from this fan base not long ago. I'm not saying Gelinas won't end up short of a regular NHLer, but I don't think it's a shut case on him quite yet.

Seemed like it was only a matter of time before Boucher was going to get another chance.  Glad he is...it's getting to be time where he needs to show something at the NHL level. 

On 1/16/2016 at 7:30 PM, titans04 said:

Calder was thrown around for Gelinas? Must of been some serious partying going on at that time.

You must not remember the strong start he had when he first came up. It wasn't ever really possible that he'd be a Calder finalist, but he was playing well enough that the word was thrown around. "If he keeps it up", "he'll be in the conversation", "he's not far behind" etc.

Moore back to IR yesterday, Helgeson was called up and is playing with Severson tonight. Hynes said Moore aggravated his injury the other night. Farnham back tonight as well, playing on the third line with Boucher and Josefson. Kalinin out tonight too, he's ill per TG.

The scary thing about that pic is that I could see something along the lines of that crest eventually replacing the standard NJ logo.  I think we're getting a jersey re-design within the next few years...and though I'm not outright opposed to change (as much I like our current jerseys and logo, I don't think either one of them are necessarily sacred), I think whatever comes out will be almost as upsetting as the Fishsticks and Buffa-slug jerseys.  I hope I'm dead-wrong about that.  Of course, if that does happen and the fans throw enough of a sh!t-fit, we would likely get the old design back (if slightly modified/updated).

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

29 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The scary thing about that pic is that I could see something along the lines of that crest eventually replacing the standard NJ logo.  I think we're getting a jersey re-design within the next few years...and though I'm not outright opposed to change (as much I like our current jerseys and logo, I don't think either one of them are necessarily sacred), I think whatever comes out will be almost as upsetting as the Fishsticks and Buffa-slug jerseys.  I hope I'm dead-wrong about that.  Of course, if that does happen and the fans throw enough of a sh!t-fit, we would likely get the old design back (if slightly modified/updated).

Yeah, I agree. You can do so many things with the name "Devils" that the possibility of a major screw up is realistic. Some of the designs I've seen are cringe worthy

If they want to do a third jersey that changes the logo but that is only used occasionally, I suppose I could live with it.  And I've generally tolerated a lot of the stupid things the marketing group has done over the past few decades like that douchey and embarrassing "professional fan."  But a complete change of the jersey would  just be a money grab (that would be ineffective in the long run anyway) and, even worse, a sign that the Weber and company have gone full cargo cult in thinking that jersey changes are what generate fan interest.

My guess though is that there won't be anything like that. 

You don't think the only logo this team has ever had and the jerseys we won three Stanley Cups in are sacred? They're sacred. They're as sacred as it gets to me. And so help me God, if they touch the logo or the jerseys, I will be at the front of the fvcking line raising hell. We've built a tradition with this logo and these jerseys. A winning tradition. They fvck with that, they'll find out real quick it 'ain't gonna fly.

I don't think there will be any major jersey design change. Our jerseys are generally regarded as well designed, and one of the top 10 in the league.  A third jersey is inevitable because sports are a major money grab, but if they redesign the crest and go with something as hokey as this as part of the primary jersey, then I, along with a lot of other people, am going to have a major problem with it.  It will end up making the goal song debacle look tame.  I just don't see that happening though. 

MD2020...to be clear, if this franchise decides to modify the jerseys, I'd prefer at most a mild tweaking/updating of the jersey and/or the logo...something extremely subtle, yet noticeable.  I'd much rather 90% or so of what the jersey is remain relatively untouched, and if the jerseys are never changed, I'd be fine with that too. 

I am open-minded to something different though, and it's not unheard of for logos to change (I guess in a way I'm mentally preparing myself for this, in case what seems like the unthinkable actually happened).  Doesn't mean I'll like the final result, and like I said, I get the feeling that I'm going to hate whatever potential redesign gets put out there.  I can't honestly think of anything I'd rather see than what we've already been watching since 1982.  Though I'll always have the warm and fuzzies for the Christmas classics (especially since those colors were chosen for a reason), I thought going to the red and black was a serious improvement.  And if there's never another one beyond that, I'll be plenty happy. 

Ideally, this never goes past a bunch of fans debating this on a message board.    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976