New Jersey Devils' Lineup/Roster Thread 2015-16

Triumph

Would it be worth looking into Parenteau? Maybe he can come relatively cheap and hes always been a pretty productive RW in this league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We also still have holes at RW for the next few years, if we can re-sign him he could be a good stop gap until we acquire some young forwards.

46 minutes ago, Zubie#8 said:

Would it be worth looking into Parenteau? Maybe he can come relatively cheap and hes always been a pretty productive RW in this league.

We also still have holes at RW for the next few years, if we can re-sign him he could be a good stop gap until we acquire some young forwards.

What would the deal be though?

8 hours ago, Zubie#8 said:

Under no circumstance should the Devils give up assets to acquire a guy who will soon turn 33. There'll be PAP-esque players to be had in free agency.

13 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

This. I'm usually not one to wax fantastic about our playoff hopes, but in 2012 I don't think anyone thought we would hit the finals. Granted we had a Kovy and a Parise, but our most productive line was our 4th line. ZP and Kovy were virtually invisible for a majority of the playoffs. 

It was nice getting to face an iffy Florida team in the first round, then a Philly team with incredibly shaky goaltending (not taking a thing away from the Devils...they did just enough to beat Florida in what wound up being a tough series, and outplayed Philly from Game 2 on).  The series against the Rangers was the awesome one, as far as winning it went...that was a team that had its eyes on the big prize, and seeing Marty outplay Lundqvist was as good as it gets and then some. 

The Devils as currently built clearly need another piece or two to sustain what they've done to date (one can make the argument that Cammalleri could be that kind of piece if he can stay healthy the rest of the season).  But this doesn't feel like the time to start mortgaging future assets for rentals or vets. 

I like the idea of trading Severson for Drouin, and I think it's something that Yzerman would agree to.  I think the defense could live without him, and while the Devils would be giving up someone with a bright future, I don't get the sense that he'll be as good as someone like Drew Doughty.  Believe it or not, the Devils survived and were a consistent 95 to 100+ point team even though they lost two defenseman who were better than Severson most likely will ever be, and probably a remaining defense group that was worse than what the Devils would have without Severson.  They did it by having a few great forwards that were in the prime of their career as well as great goaltending.

A Devils team that had Drouin and Zacha turn into what they're supposed to be, a Blandisi that continues to develop, and that manages to have one or two of their other prospects exceed expectations could be something to be reckoned with.  And that doesn't account for a good free agent signing or two that is completely plausible as well.

10 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I like the idea of trading Severson for Drouin, and I think it's something that Yzerman would agree to.  I think the defense could live without him, and while the Devils would be giving up someone with a bright future, I don't get the sense that he'll be as good as someone like Drew Doughty.  Believe it or not, the Devils survived and were a consistent 95 to 100+ point team even though they lost two defenseman who were better than Severson most likely will ever be, and probably a remaining defense group that was worse than what the Devils would have without Severson.  They did it by having a few great forwards that were in the prime of their career as well as great goaltending.

A Devils team that had Drouin and Zacha turn into what they're supposed to be, a Blandisi that continues to develop, and that manages to have one or two of their other prospects exceed expectations could be something to be reckoned with.  And that doesn't account for a good free agent signing or two that is completely plausible as well.

I don't think you want to go down that road of looking at the Devils' past.  The Devils don't have anything like Severson around in their system.  Guys like that normally take a long time to make the NHL and then a longer time to excel in it - Severson himself is nowhere close to his peak and he's already 3+ years out of having been drafted.  I don't think he'll be a better player than Drouin, but he's a safer bet, and he's more likely to take less money.

Meanwhile Drouin has been sitting on his ass for a month.  Who says he's even in hockey shape right now?   

4 minutes ago, Triumph said:

I don't think you want to go down that road of looking at the Devils' past.  The Devils don't have anything like Severson around in their system.  Guys like that normally take a long time to make the NHL and then a longer time to excel in it - Severson himself is nowhere close to his peak and he's already 3+ years out of having been drafted.  I don't think he'll be a better player than Drouin, but he's a safer bet, and he's more likely to take less money.

Meanwhile Drouin has been sitting on his ass for a month.  Who says he's even in hockey shape right now?   

It ultimately comes down to whether the Devils hockey people believe that Drouin will be a legit first line forward.  If that's the case, those players are really hard to find, especially when they're that young.  It's even more attractive considering that the Devils will never be bad enough to have a likely shot at drafting a player like that themselves.

And while the Devils don't have anyone as good as Severson in the system, they have good young defensemen that are on the roster right now, and there is a good shot that enough of the defensemen in the system should at least be solid NHLers.  There is also free agency.  

Lastly, I agree that there's a decent possibility that he's not in good shape.  I would expect that he would spend some time in Albany, perhaps the remainder of the regular season.

Greene turns 34 this year, there's absolutely no guarantee he can keep up his current level of play.  Already the Devils look very weak down the left side of their D in the future with Gelinas flaming out and Merrill not quite getting to where we expected - John Moore's turned into a minor disaster - behind those guys it's Colton White, basically, and he's years and years away.

1 hour ago, Triumph said:

Greene turns 34 this year, there's absolutely no guarantee he can keep up his current level of play.  Already the Devils look very weak down the left side of their D in the future with Gelinas flaming out and Merrill not quite getting to where we expected - John Moore's turned into a minor disaster - behind those guys it's Colton White, basically, and he's years and years away.

Are there numbers that better flesh out the bolded?  With so many shots being stopped by Schneider, various players are probably looking better than they've actually been...hence, the request for numbers. 

1 hour ago, Triumph said:

I agree with your sentiment that we're not really as deep on the left on defense as we thought.  The thought that Merrill and Moore have made no progress this season would seem to be a stretch of an argument though.  Explain the numbers of New Jersey being one of the better defensive teams in the league(in terms of GAA).  I understand that the easy factor to point to Cory Schneider, so I would say that Hynes system and the play of the defense would have to earn some credit in that area.  

11 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Are there numbers that better flesh out the bolded?  With so many shots being stopped by Schneider, various players are probably looking better than they've actually been...hence, the request for numbers. 

Devils break even in scoring chances with him on the bench and get 44% with him on the ice. Everyone does poorly with him and quite a bit better, close to alright, without him. 

I think the expectation was that he'd be solid, an OK middle pairing dman, but he hasn't been close to that. 

19 hours ago, Triumph said:

Merrill is a pivot point, he absolutely needs to turn into a  top 4 game in game out, he's an excellent skater with the puck. hopefully his frame matures.  greene has to give us 2 more good years. 

Yeah, let's be serious here. Embellishments happen all the time out of fear of a no-call on an actual foul. It's up the the players to eradicate this practice by continuously working hard. My coaches growing up always told me that you play through the fouls the same way you might play through an injury.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

Apparently, and I'm only going off of what other posters on HF have said, he is known for embellishing. Hopefully someone breaks him of that habit.

Looks like Hynes talked to him already. Let's just hope he forgets that part of his game.

“It was mistake on my part and it's unacceptable and it leaves a bad image on not only myself but the team and organization as well,” Blandisi said. “I think it's safe to say I learned my lesson and it's not going to happen again.”

Blandisi sounded down on himself after Tuesday night's game and Devils coach John Hynes said the 21-year-old left wing/center immediately recognized the  mistake he made. Hynes made sure to address it with Blandisi anyway, though, to make sure he understood.

“We talked to him and we had some of our leadership group on the team talk to him,” Hynes said. “He's a young guy and I think he learned a lesson there and that's part of growing, but we did talk to him and I think it's behind us and behind him and we'll make sure he's ready to roll tomorrow.”

http://fireandice.northjersey.com/fire-ice-1.174987/blandisi-i-learned-my-lesson-from-embellishment-schneider-to-auction-off-all-star-pads-1.1514280

Edited by Jerzey

Thoughts on dangling this year's 1st round pick out there on deadline day?

In my dream world, we trade it and a prospect (or Gelinas if they'll take him) to Tampa for Drouin.  I don't think the kid's a total headcase, and the Devils are an organization prepared to make this kid buy into the team mentality, imo.

If Stamkos leaves, Tampa is going to have to find a lot of other scoring (although less than I think people think they'll need).  They can't be giving up Drouin for futures - they need help for right now.  I also can't see a Drouin trade happening now that he's been sitting out for a month, but who knows.

14 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Thoughts on dangling this year's 1st round pick out there on deadline day?

In my dream world, we trade it and a prospect (or Gelinas if they'll take him) to Tampa for Drouin.  I don't think the kid's a total headcase, and the Devils are an organization prepared to make this kid buy into the team mentality, imo.

Unless the Devils somehow make it to the conference finals they should not be giving up that first round pick even for a player like Drouin, and Shero has basically said he isn't trading it. 

12 hours ago, Triumph said:

If Stamkos leaves, Tampa is going to have to find a lot of other scoring (although less than I think people think they'll need).  They can't be giving up Drouin for futures - they need help for right now.  I also can't see a Drouin trade happening now that he's been sitting out for a month, but who knows.

Unless Yzerman and Drouin kiss and make up, Yzerman is either going to have to accept not getting equivalent value for him or he'll have to hold on to him just for spite.  The information that's been coming out from the more credible sources is that Yzerman has basically been turned down on every offer he's made for players like Dumba, Ceci and Fabbri.  Drouin's value is only decreasing at this point.  There's always the possibility that a team like Montreal gets desperate, but I think that's a long shot.  Like I said though, Severson straight up would probably get it done. 

On 2/15/2016 at 6:40 PM, RunninWithTheDevil said:

This. I'm usually not one to wax fantastic about our playoff hopes, but in 2012 I don't think anyone thought we would hit the finals. Granted we had a Kovy and a Parise, but our most productive line was our 4th line. ZP and Kovy were virtually invisible for a majority of the playoffs. 

Not to take anything away from CBGB that year, but let's not rewrite history. Kovalchuk was our MVP that playoffs. 19 points in 23 games, all within the confines of tight playoff hockey and being double-marked by opposing teams every game. He was killing penalties, playing both power play lines, was our emotional leader putting up 23+ minutes a game with an injured back and made it look easy. By contrast, our captain Parise was invisible for large stretches of each series, and then would have an awesome game with 3-4 points before disappearing again for another couple games.

52 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

Not to take anything away from CBGB that year, but let's not rewrite history. Kovalchuk was our MVP that playoffs. 19 points in 23 games, all within the confines of tight playoff hockey and being double-marked by opposing teams every game. He was killing penalties, playing both power play lines, was our emotional leader putting up 23+ minutes a game with an injured back and made it look easy. By contrast, our captain Parise was invisible for large stretches of each series, and then would have an awesome game with 3-4 points before disappearing again for another couple games.

I always wonder how the finals might be different if his back wasn't pretty much destroyed by that round.