New Jersey Devils' Lineup/Roster Thread 2015-16

Triumph

58 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

Not to take anything away from CBGB that year, but let's not rewrite history. Kovalchuk was our MVP that playoffs. 19 points in 23 games, all within the confines of tight playoff hockey and being double-marked by opposing teams every game. He was killing penalties, playing both power play lines, was our emotional leader putting up 23+ minutes a game with an injured back and made it look easy. By contrast, our captain Parise was invisible for large stretches of each series, and then would have an awesome game with 3-4 points before disappearing again for another couple games.

I should've clarified better, you're correct, but he was shredded by the finals and neither of them showed up to it. Can't blame Kovy for an injury, but he still only finished with 4 more points than ZP, that was my mentality in posting that

Not to take anything away from CBGB that year, but let's not rewrite history. Kovalchuk was our MVP that playoffs. 19 points in 23 games, all within the confines of tight playoff hockey and being double-marked by opposing teams every game. He was killing penalties, playing both power play lines, was our emotional leader putting up 23+ minutes a game with an injured back and made it look easy. By contrast, our captain Parise was invisible for large stretches of each series, and then would have an awesome game with 3-4 points before disappearing again for another couple games.

I always wonder how the finals might be different if his back wasn't pretty much destroyed by that round.

We'd have a 4th championship. Healthy Kovalchuk was unstoppable.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I remember him ripping apart the Flyers and Rangers in rounds 2 & 3 and then he seemed to disappear in the finals.  He had a herniated disc right?  Do we even know when and how that injury happened?

Even though we didn't win it all that post-season, that was a great run.  Destroying both of our two biggest rivals one after another was the best feeling in the world.  I remember seeing game 1 of round 2 at Buffalo Wild Wings and after the game ended all the Flyers fans in there were talking sh!t about how they will win in 4 or 5 games.  Wish I could have gone back there for game 5 to use the salt from their tears to flavor my wings.

• Like 1

Makes no sense to trade Severson.  Also makes no sense to use Merrill on his opposite side where he's been nothing but bad.  It's fine to sit Severson if they think there's stuff he needs to be doing that he isn't, but the coaching staff has to stop using people on their opposite sides unless it's absolutely necessary.  Moore's been a total disaster on his opposite side and Merrill mostly has been too.

14 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I remember him ripping apart the Flyers and Rangers in rounds 2 & 3 and then he seemed to disappear in the finals.  He had a herniated disc right?  Do we even know when and how that injury happened?

Even though we didn't win it all that post-season, that was a great run.  Destroying both of our two biggest rivals one after another was the best feeling in the world.  I remember seeing game 1 of round 2 at Buffalo Wild Wings and after the game ended all the Flyers fans in there were talking sh!t about how they will win in 4 or 5 games.  Wish I could have gone back there for game 5 to use the salt from their tears to flavor my wings.

I heard that it was his siatic nerve that was acting up, which needed to be numbed during the Flyers series and again in the finals. 

Can't believe the trade deadline is 10 days away. Trade Stempniak or Schlemko? Keep it together and try to fight for the 8 seed? Does not feel like a time to buy and fight for an 8 seed, but keeping it together might make some sense. It would just be a shame to just stand pat and not get a few more draft picks off a non-playoff roster. Especially when we would be trading high on Stempniak and Schlemko

I'm hoping Shero can move some of the veterans for on the cusp NHL players that can be put in the lineup. The other teams gets a veteran to count on and the Devils get potential upside.  Then let's roll the dice and hope to get lucky; Devils probably need luck either way. 

Re-sign Stempniak and Schlemko to 3 year deals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No way. No more old guys with long contracts on this team, please

Ha. Schlemko is only 28 and is having an incredible year and he won't cost much. Stempniak isnt THAT old and is solid and won't cost much. we need help at RW for the next few years.

11 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Well well what are you saying there? That Kovy was a good player? Cmon now. We've been informed by our very own advance stats department who never played hockey that Kovalchuk was not a very good player for the devils. 

Forget what we've seen with our eyes and his results. The truth reside in numbers based on shots saying he wasnt driving the play apparently which made him a not very good player lol that sounds very stoppable... 

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Zubie#8 said:

Re-sign Stempniak and Schlemko to 3 year deals.

I say it's officially time to at least see what these guys might bring back before or at the deadline...for that matter, just about everyone not named Schneider on the roster.  Not saying to move guys just for the sake of moving them of course, and this is Captain Obvious-type stuff, but I'm fine with anything that looks like it could help in the future.  If Shero makes a few moves that suck the remaining life out of 2015-16 Devils, oh well.

11 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I say it's officially time to at least see what these guys might bring back before or at the deadline...for that matter, just about everyone not named Schneider on the roster.  Not saying to move guys just for the sake of moving them of course, and this is Captain Obvious-type stuff, but I'm fine with anything that looks like it could help in the future.  If Shero makes a few moves that suck the remaining life out of 2015-16 Devils, oh well.

I'm all for a youth movement. shero and hynes need not make the POs this or next year. they're still on their honeymoon. and I thought we moved the "playoffs at all cost" people from the organization

On 2/20/2016 at 10:52 PM, SterioDesign said:

Well well what are you saying there? That Kovy was a good player? Cmon now. We've been informed by our very own advance stats department who never played hockey that Kovalchuk was not a very good player for the devils. 

Forget what we've seen with our eyes and his results. The truth reside in numbers based on shots saying he wasnt driving the play apparently which made him a not very good player lol that sounds very stoppable... 

All I know is, you could see he put the fear of God into every Flyers and Rangers player out there when he stepped out on the ice in the 2012 playoffs.  We haven't had that since he left.

On 2/20/2016 at 11:46 PM, Triumph said:

I can start a Devils' Lineup/Roster Thread 2011-12 for you guys if you want.

Alright this made me chuckle.

14 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

3 more years of this, and it's probably only going to get worse.  I remember when we signed him that people were saying he's probably only good for 55-60 games a year.  Last year he gave me hope when he hit 68 games, which was the most he had played in 5 years (one year being the lockout of course, but still) but now I'm starting to realize the Devils can't count on him being "the guy".  He's missing a CRITICAL part of the schedule..It'll be a month in a couple days.

23 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The good thing is that the Devils didn't give up anything to get him and we're not a cap team, such that the money he's getting paid will prevent the Devils from doing something they otherwise would want to. 

Also don't know the nature of the injury.  If they're the Josefson, Nordberg types, then it isn't the end of the world, and might be a pretty good for the long run in that he'll have played fewer games towards the end of the deal. 

58 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I posted on Cam in the Devs-Caps GDT...to sum up, one big problem is that he's had a consistent history of missing a fair amount of games every season since 2009-10.  The track record was there to suggest this would continue with the Devils, which it has. 

The other thing that I touched on was that I think it's dangerous/unfair to start assuming an injury-prone player is dogging it or not trying to get back into the lineup.  The team was in contention there for a while (some would say they still are, though at this point the only team they have any shot of catching is Detroit, and that still feels like a longshot to me)...I truly feel Cam would've liked to have been a part of that.  I do believe that most players want to be contributing, and I don't think Cam is saying "Screw this and screw them, I get back when I get back, I get paid regardless."  That's really a harsh indictment on Cam's character.

Doesn't mean it's not annoying as hell that he seems to be as fragile as they come, and can't be counted on at all.  But again, not like we didn't know what were getting.