Around the League: 2016-17 edition

MadDog2020

On 4/20/2017 at 4:30 PM, Jersey Sure said:

One thing about Tim Murray that always sort of stuck with me was his reaction when losing out on McDavid.  I wonder how Eichel felt when his future boss acted like he was some sort of consolation prize.

These let's "be bad to get good" rebuilds in the Cap Era are no sure thing.  

Yeah, this one always stood out to me.  Nevermind pissing off the player but they had just spent a year literally putting the crappiest product on the ice possible with the sales pitch being that they needed to finish last to get one of the two sure fire franchise centers available in the draft.  they traded every goalie that strung together a few good games and the fan base still kept buying tickets.    In the end. they got the player that they always knew they had an 80% chance of ending up with if they finished last so how does this PR flop happen?  That dude was just bizarre.      

• Like 1

Yeah, this one always stood out to me.  Nevermind pissing off the player but they had just spent a year literally putting the crappiest product on the ice possible with the sales pitch being that they needed to finish last to get one of the two sure fire franchise centers available in the draft.  they traded every goalie that strung together a few good games and the fan base still kept buying tickets.    In the end. they got the player that they always knew they had an 80% chance of ending up with if they finished last so how does this PR flop happen?  That dude was just bizarre.        

Tim Murray= Dwight Schrute. I swear, if Dwight Schrute was a real person, Tim Murray would be his long lost Canadian brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Another thing that seems to have gone largely unnoticed, but Vancouver has hired Travis Green as their new head coach- he was coaching their AHL affiliate, so it makes sense. Green has been knocking on the door for an NHL job for a couple of years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, LittleBallofHate said:

From NHL.com - seems like a lot to give up for the chance to sign Darling, no?  

The Carolina Hurricanes acquired goalie Scott Darling from the Chicago Blackhawks on Friday in a trade for a third-round pick in the 2017 NHL Draft.

Darling can become an unrestricted free agent July 1.

yes, for a guy who has never started. At that price it should be a sign and trade. If they didn't talk to him, or atleast through back channels, it would be a stupid deal.

My initial reaction was that it doesn't matter if Ryan Clowe is exempt since we don't have 7 forwards worth protecting but maybe this gives Shero the opportunity to add 2 D-men from other teams and protect 4 and 4.   Other than Henrique, Hall, Palmieri and Zajac, is there anyone else eligible for the expansion draft worth protecting?     

16 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

My initial reaction was that it doesn't matter if Ryan Clowe is exempt since we don't have 7 forwards worth protecting but maybe this gives Shero the opportunity to add 2 D-men from other teams and protect 4 and 4.   Other than Henrique, Hall, Palmieri and Zajac, is there anyone else eligible for the expansion draft worth protecting?     

Forwards? Nope. 

For those that were interested in Kovy's teammate, Shipachyov, Vegas nabbed him - from Puckdaddy: 

" When George McPhee landed KHL standout Vadim Shipachyov as the second-ever Vegas Golden Knights player this week, his primary motivation was to bring in the kind of highly skilled center that would difficult to find in the expansion draft and to lure in NHL free agency.

“They are very, very hard to find. There were other NHL teams involved. We made our pitch,” he said on Friday, one day after inking the SKA Saint Petersburg center to a two-year contract worth an average annual salary of $4.5 million.

Shipachyov, 30, has played in the KHL since 2008. He won back-to-back titles with sKA, notching 76 points in 50 games last season... "

Per Puckdaddy, Darling has been signed by Carolina (they gave up a 3rd to talk with him early & it seemed to work): 

" The Carolina Hurricanes didn’t waste any time in locking up goalie Scott Darling.

After acquiring him from the Chicago Blackhawks on April 29, the Hurricanes signed Darling to a four-year deal on Friday. It’s a $16.6 million contract, with an average cap hit of $4.15 million. "

Edited by LittleBallofHate

On ‎2017‎-‎05‎-‎02 at 11:00 AM, MadDog2020 said:

I don't watch the Leafs a lot and when I do I never notice him, really in a good or bad way. I guess they are sold on him.

48 minutes ago, sokar said:

Wonder what Dallas does with the other goalies they have

Bishop's Cap hit is almost $6 million. The Stars already have a cap hit of $10.5 million between Lenthonen and Neimi.

Jim Nill has to unload those 2 has-beens if they want to sign anyone else. I don't see any team wanting those 2 goalies. Maybe more dealings in the near future?

Dallas has until July 1 to reach an agreement with Bishop, before he’ll be able to negotiate with all 30 other teams as a free agent.

Suck for the Devs, would of loved a package deal of Cory and Greene and picking up the Stars goaltender problems for that 3rd OA pick... bummer.

Edited by HOLLYWOOD

On 05/09/2017 at 9:27 PM, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Wow Rangers and Sabres .... What a classic matchup

Yea this could be the worst one yet, I bet it'll be not very close to capacity. Between the Devils Isles and Rags, they couldn't fill Yankee Stadium. They should've had it in Buffalo where people would've shown up, and they could've planned it around the World Junior Championship game between the US and Canada that they're playing outside, and I would imagine like on most years will be on New Years Eve. Maybe they didn't want to detract from either event, but if that was the case, they wouldn't have scheduled Buffalo at all.

The more I think about it, the more furious I am that they did schedule Buffalo. They're gonna pull tons of fans away from that event who would mostly be supporting Team USA. The NHL couldn't let USA Hockey showcase the sport in this country on a global stage without trying to fvck it up.

2 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

Yea this could be the worst one yet, I bet it'll be not very close to capacity. Between the Devils Isles and Rags, they couldn't fill Yankee Stadium. They should've had it in Buffalo where people would've shown up, and they could've planned it around the World Junior Championship game between the US and Canada that they're playing outside, and I would imagine like on most years will be on New Years Eve. Maybe they didn't want to detract from either event, but if that was the case, they wouldn't have scheduled Buffalo at all.

The more I think about it, the more furious I am that they did schedule Buffalo. They're gonna pull tons of fans away from that event who would mostly be supporting Team USA. The NHL couldn't let USA Hockey showcase the sport in this country on a global stage without trying to fvck it up.

The epitome of Gary Bettman's tenure as commissioner. yet they keep fvcking electing him for longer terms.

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

The epitome of Gary Bettman's tenure as commissioner. yet they keep fvcking electing him for longer terms.

Because, like Goodell, he makes the owners a lot of money.   He's also pretty much the reason that salaries are controlled, such that the best player in the sport today has a lower average annual value than Bobby Holik's contract 15 years ago.

Fiddler did everything asked of him by the Devils, have nothing but the best wishes for him.  Hope he manages to pull off something special with Nashville.

Also, I think it was kinda cool of Shero to get Fiddler's blessing on the trade to Nashville before pulling the trigger.  IIRC he didn't have a NTC or NMC.