2017-2018 Prospects Thread

Derlique

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still no Feisty so, in case anyone is interested, I'm going to put up links to last week's Prospects update (from AATJ): 

https://www.allaboutthejersey.com/2017/10/17/16486620/new-jersey-devils-prospect-update-10-17-17

And this week's update: 

https://www.allaboutthejersey.com/2017/10/24/16528040/new-jersey-devils-prospect-update-10-24-17

ETA: Ian's update adds a few interesting tidbits, if anyone feels like reading this one too: 

https://www.reddit.com/r/devils/comments/78gq86/devils_prospects_update_1024/

Snippet: 

-Nikita Popugaev is struggling...was demoted to the 4th line this week for Prince George. It's a strange situation...as he still hasn't found his game since being traded from Moose Jaw. I don't know what to say without saying like an absolute homer...he has the pure skill and the physical stature to be a dominant player in the WHL, possibly even the NHL, however at the risk of beating a dead horse...he really needs to get his defensive game together.

-Update on Jesper Boqvist: there's an article that says he's not back on the ice yet, but doing lots of lower-body drills (the injury was a broken wrist just FYI), and is also seeing experts once a week for his wrist. He doesn't want to set a deadline for his return, but everything is going well with the recovery process...training twice a day with a physical trainer doing sled pulls and whatnot. He says he wants to improve on his explosiveness, speed, and power. 

-This is just speculation, but Aarne Talvitie didn't play a game this week for Espoo Blues U20. There isn't an injury, but rather there's an upcoming U20 tournament in Russia from November 8th-10th. The only roster that's been released has been Sweden's: Fabian Zetterlund was named to that team. The teams in the tournament are Sweden, Finland, Russia, and Czech Republic. My guess would be that Talvitie is on that Finnish team.

-A note about defensive pairings: Jeremy Davies reclaimed the top-pairing LD spot for Northeastern and Matthew Hellickson saw himself upgraded to the 2nd pairing LD spot for Notre Dame.

-Fun fact, the average age of the Binghamton Devils roster is 23.4 years old. That's the youngest average age of a New Jersey Devils AHL affiliate team since the 1992-1993 Utica Devils.

Edited by LittleBallofHate
  • Like 4

https://www.myprincegeorgenow.com/60286/russian-sniper-leaves-pg-cougars/

RUSSIAN SNIPER LEAVES THE PG COUGARS

The Prince George Cougars issued a statement this afternoon that forward Nikita Popugaev has returned home to Moscow for personal reasons.

In a news release, the Cougars stated they had opportunities to move Popugaev to another WHL team,  but after consulting with he and his family, Popugaev decided it was in his best interests to return to Russia.

The Cougars acquired the sniper, who turns 19 next month, from the Moose Jaw Warriors on January 5th of this year in return for forwards Justin Almeida, Yan Khomenko, a second round pick in the 2018 WHL Bantam Draft and a fifth round pick in the 2017 Draft.

Popugaev, a fourth round, 98th overall 2017 draft pick of the New Jersey Devils, has two goals and five assists in 13 games this season, and 25 points in 44 games since he joined the team.

Sounds like the kid is having an especially rough time this season (he was a -13 in those 13 games...no one else on his team was worse than a -6).  Kind of makes you wonder if the kid has the makeup to make it to the NHL one day, but he's just that...basically a kid.  Was kind of a swing-for-the-fence pick anyway, which is fine for a 4th-rounder.  Hopefully he can pull himself together. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

So he's going back to Russia... To do what? Will he be joining a KHL team? What's the plan here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heard he's talking to CSKA Moscow, so he'll likely find himself signed on with a KHL team. Whether he plays in the KHL or if he gets sent down to the VHL or MHL is to be determined, though.

• Like 1

I don't watch games from Devils' prospects often but I do check to see how they're producing every now and then. Here are some things I've noticed. Keep in mind I know nothing about the minutes these players play or their linemates, PP time, PK time, etc. So this is all quite superficial.

Jocktan Chainey (7th round, 2017) is leading Halifax defenseman in points with 10 (1g, 9a) in 15 games. This is better production than teammate Jared McIsaac, who is projected to go early-mid first round in the 2018 draft.

Jeremy Davies (7th round, 2016) is off to a hot start at Northeastern University with 9 assists in 7 games (no goals yet) after an impressive season (23 points, 8g, 15a in 38 games) last year in his first college season. He is currently 3rd on his team in points. Jeremy is turning 21 in December, so he's a bit old for being in his sophomore year. He has been impressive nonetheless.

Marian Studenic (5th round, 2017) has 6 points in 13 games for Hamilton, which does not look great, but I checked and there are only 2 players on the team with more than 6 points. Still, you'd like to see a guy with his skill set producing a bit more in his draft +1 season.

Colby Sissons is leading the Swift Current Broncos defensemen with 17 points (4g, 13a) in 13 games. I haven't been too impressed with what I've seen of him, but it looks like he is improving his game.

Joey Anderson is having a slow start with 3 points in 8 games with U Minnesota-Duluth. He should pick up his production soon though. He has looked good in a few clips I've seen.

• Like 3

On 10/28/2017 at 11:30 AM, MadDog2020 said:

Lucky shot.  He wasn't even looking.

If Mark Seidel is in the know, sounds like Mikey is going back to the OHL this week... 

NA Central Scouting‏ @MarkSeidel 

Replying to @darenmillard @OHLSteelheads @FlaPanthers

Steelhead fans should expect to Mike McLeod by the end of the week, if everything goes as it is planned.

Daren Millard‏ Verified account @darenmillard

Looks like @OHLSteelheads will get Owen Tippett back this week from @FlaPanthers Should play on Friday.