2017-2018 Out of Town Thread

Daniel

42 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

They’re scary. Hope like hell the Devils don’t draw them if they make the playoffs. Bergeron is probably going to win a FIFTH Selke. 

After 5 years without playoffs, I'd take any match up. 

B's are a good team, they seem to be playing over their head, maybe they are peaking too early.

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Boston is very good, but I don't think they'd beat Tampa in a best of seven series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

me either, Tampa is probably the best team in the league, Nashville way up there to. 

I know they choke every year so I really have no idea why but I have a feeling St. Louis is going to go on a playoff run this year. 

me either, Tampa is probably the best team in the league, Nashville way up there to. 
I know they choke every year so I really have no idea why but I have a feeling St. Louis is going to go on a playoff run this year. 

Not like I'm going out on a huge limb here, and I posted this not too long ago, but I think it's gonna be a Tampa-Nashville SCF with Nashville winning.

8 minutes ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

After 5 years without playoffs, I'd take any match up. 

B's are a good team, they seem to be playing over their head, maybe they are peaking too early.

Of course making it would be great no matter what, but I just don’t want to see the Bolts or Bruins in the first round. 

5 hours ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

They won a round last year and went to the conference finals the year before, so I don't know about that. The central has been brutal for years. 

8 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Not like I'm going out on a huge limb here, and I posted this not too long ago, but I think it's gonna be a Tampa-Nashville SCF with Nashville winning.

I would love to see that but it seems way to obvious.  I'm thinking it will be a "darkhorse" like St Louis or Winnipeg coming out of the West.  That's not that bold either since those two are both great teams when healthy.   

On a side note, what's with all the "Big 3" talk out of Toronto?   They have a big 1 (Matthews) and then two other pretty good young players in Nylander and Marner that from the talk out of Toronto you would think are set to dominate the league for years.  There's a lot of razzle dazzle with those two but they're kind of soft perimeter players who turn the puck over constantly IMO.  They talk about having to let a guy like JVR walk this summer because they're going to have to pay the Big 3.  In what world are you giving either of those two anything more than a bridge deal coming of the seasons they are having?  They actually have a lot of good young guys like Kadri, Reilly etc but it always seems to be about Marner and Nylander and I just don't get it.    I've thought those two were probably the most overrated players in the league for a while but it was reinforced last night while watching the Leafs vs Preds game      

Edited by Lateralous

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 9:35 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I've gone into detail about [the Rangers'] extremely favorable schedule a few times...but to sum up, come 12/29, things even out harshly.  After they play their next 6 games, they will have played 24 games at home, and just 13 on the road.  So from 12/29 on, they will play just 17 home games out of their remaining 45.  The stretch from 1/20 - 3/10 is especially tough:  16 out of 23 games will be played on the road.   

If they go on a rampage over these next 6, then you can say they did OK considering how home-heavy their schedule was...but I don't think 16-12-3 is all that impressive for them at this point, even though they did recover from a rotten start.  And Lundqvist has already played in 26 games (on pace for 69), which was obviously not the Rangers' plan going into this season...but the both the Rangers' and Pavelec's slow starts necessitated that.  Pavelec has had two strong games in a row, but he's still highly suspect. 

Basically, the Rangers are in a little trouble here, even if their respectable record doesn't reflect that yet. 

Love love LOVE that all of this is coming to fruition.  Maybe it's just a slump for Lundqvist (.850 save% in his last 6, pulled three times), but it's looking like all of those minutes he played out of necessity to get the Rangers' season back on track is sure biting them in the ass now.  The 1-5-2 start to their season also hurt them a lot too...that killed just about any chance they had to bank away enough points to be able to withstand any extended slumps once the schedule turned, even though they were a pretty good 20-13-4 when the "easy" part of their schedule concluded.  They've really dried up offensively...in 19 games since 12/23 (6-12-2 record), they've scored 40 goals (42 if you want to count phantom SO goals). 

And so far in the bolded "especially tough" stretch, the Rangers have gone 1-7-0 and been outscored 35-16.  And they also have some injury issues.

Can't entirely rule out them recovering, but it seems like with all of the rumors of them looking to dump what they can, it doesn't seem like even the Rangers believe that's possible.  Apparently (according to Larry Brooks), they really don't want to can Vigneault over this.  But man do I love every second of this.   

It's funny, I actually love to see the Rangers fall apart just like anyone else, but because it's been a while for us since we've enjoyed some playoff success, hell, any playoff hockey at all, I really am just focused on our season more than anything.  I feel like it was so much easier and more fun to root for and enjoy the Rangers sucking, back in the day when we were consistently awesome and they were terrible (i.e. late 90s early 2000s).  

5 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

It's funny, I actually love to see the Rangers fall apart just like anyone else, but because it's been a while for us since we've enjoyed some playoff success, hell, any playoff hockey at all, I really am just focused on our season more than anything.  I feel like it was so much easier and more fun to root for and enjoy the Rangers sucking, back in the day when we were consistently awesome and they were terrible (i.e. late 90s early 2000s).  

Oh I'm with you, I'm far more focused on the Devils being in the playoff hunt and being in very good shape, but even though I thought that the Rangers were in trouble and that 20-13-4 wasn't really good enough given that 24 out of their first 37 games were played in their own building, to see them fall off THAT much, it's...well...pretty friggin' hilarious to see. 

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Oh I'm with you, I'm far more focused on the Devils being in the playoff hunt and being in very good shape, but even though I thought that the Rangers were in trouble and that 20-13-4 wasn't really good enough given that 24 out of their first 37 games were played in their own building, to see them fall off THAT much, it's...well...pretty friggin' hilarious to see. 

Yup, completely agree.  I usually only watch highlights in the morning if I was unable to see part or all of one of our games the previous night, but because the B's put up 6 on the Rags and Lundqvist got chased, I have to admit I did just watch the highlights a half hour ago, and it did bring a smile to me face :)

13 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Of course making it would be great no matter what, but I just don’t want to see the Bolts or Bruins in the first round. 

There's a lot of young kids playing more games against tougher opponents than they are used to. This year, including playoffs is all about experience in my mind. I just want these guys getting a taste of the playoffs. 

I mean hell.... Playing a team like Boston or Tampa might be what opens their eyes to the level they need to be at. 

I'm just glad that (hoping this is safe to say) we made it through the Rags revival period and didn't have to live through a Stanley Cup

Few times it looked like it may happen. Was bracing myself for it. But they always dragged that series out to 7 which wore them down, they had that big OT loss, they had the speed but never the elite finish. Lots of times it looks like the stars were going to align but they never did.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, '7' said:

I'm just glad that (hoping this is safe to say) we made it through the Rags revival period and didn't have to live through a Stanley Cup

Few times it looked like it may happen. Was bracing myself for it. But they always dragged that series out to 7 which wore them down, they had that big OT loss, they had the speed but never the elite finish. Lots of times it looks like the stars were going to align but they never did.

From the 2011-12 season through the 2014-15 (when they played a total of 12 playoff series), out of the 8 playoff series that they won, six of them went seven games.  In those 8 series, they lost a total of 21 games...just three below the max number of losses (24) you could have while still winning all 8 series. 

Their record by season:

2011-12 (reached ECF):  10-10

2012-13 (reached 2nd round):  5-7

2013-14 (reached SCF):  13-12

2014-15 (reached ECF):  11-8

That team just didn't make anything easy on themselves.  And now it looks like their window is closed. 

• Like 3

Honestly 2015 was the only year I was truly worried about them winning it all even if I was annoyed no one could knock them out in 2014 and if they got Nash in 2012 I had worries thinking he would score for them. For the longest time they were what the Devils were just after the lockout  with a little bit more luck/matchup success. Great goaltending, good team that over succeeds in the regular season due to out working their opponent. The problem is you can't go 100 percent in the playoffs and win on your work ethic cause most other teams try hard in the playoffs too.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

From the 2011-12 season through the 2014-15 (when they played a total of 12 playoff series), out of the 8 playoff series that they won, six of them went seven games.  In those 8 series, they lost a total of 21 games...just three below the max number of losses (24) you could have while still winning all 8 series. 

Their record by season:

2011-12 (reached ECF):  10-10

2012-13 (reached 2nd round):  5-7

2013-14 (reached SCF):  13-12

2014-15 (reached ECF):  11-8

That team just didn't make anything easy on themselves.  And now it looks like their window is closed. 

Those teams kinda covered both sides of the coin – they could never close out a quick series, but they also refused to die, which led to a lot of elongated 6 or 7 game series. Hard to win a Cup playing that many games before the Final.

Edited by CommonDreads

Just now, CommonDreads said:

Those teams kinda covered both sides of the coin – they could never close out a quick series, but they also refused to die, which led to a lot of elongated 6 or 7 game series. Hard to win a Cup playing that many games before the Final.

And there was the problem...also it seemed like they rarely had an easy game come playoff time.  They really had to ride Lundqvist and scratch out a lot of wins.  Messier used to say how important it was to try to get the earlier series done with quickly...in the stretch I just brought up, in the combined seven first and second round series that the Rangers won, six of them went to seven games.  They always had to expend so much energy to get as far as they did.

And hopefully they never do, and 75 years from now, it'll be 1 in 152.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Lundqvist wants to be part of the rebuild. I guess being a Ranger for his entire career is more important than a Cup. 

Something to be said for that. I am not sure what that something is, but there's something to be said. 

I respect both types - the faithfuls and those who stop at nothing to win.

• Like 1

Lundqvist wants to be part of the rebuild. I guess being a Ranger for his entire career is more important than a Cup. 
Something to be said for that. I am not sure what that something is, but there's something to be said. 

I don't think he has much of a choice- it's not like he has a contract that would be easy to move. And his cap number is over $8 million, so as much as I'm sure plenty of teams would love to add Lundqvist, how many teams a goalie away could afford that cap number?

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

I don't think he has much of a choice- it's not like he has a contract that would be easy to move. And his cap number is over $8 million, so as much as I'm sure plenty of teams would love to add Lundqvist, how many teams a goalie away could afford that cap number?

They could probably make a deal work.  The problem is that they wouldn't be getting anything close to even value.

• Like 1

They could probably make a deal work.  The problem is that they wouldn't be getting anything close to even value.

That's true... I guess if he really wanted to try and win a Cup somewhere else, he and the Rags could do something with a team like St. Louis, but Lundqvist, Mr. NYC, probably wouldn't like it in a one horse, midwestern town like that.

It is admirable that Lundqvist wants to sit this through with the Rangers, always admired Doan for his loyalty to the Coyotes in a similar situation.

In that vein however, if he wants to see this through with the Rangers rebuild, I think he needs to change his tune with how he interacts with some of his defensemen. I know his thing is pushing his teammates to be better when they make a mistake on the ice, but I noticed in the highlight package last night him just blatantly yelling at Anthony DeAngelo after a couple goals, which can be damaging to a young defenseman's confidence. They gotta build those kids up, not tear em down when they make a mistake, so I wonder if the Rangers slide back into a rebuild over the next couple years if Lundqvist kind of tempers back some of that fire after a frustrating goal against, those mistakes are gonna happen often when you're dealing with young defensemen.

Just now, CommonDreads said:

It is admirable that Lundqvist wants to sit this through with the Rangers, always admired Doan for his loyalty to the Coyotes in a similar situation.

In that vein however, if he wants to see this through with the Rangers rebuild, I think he needs to change his tune with how he interacts with some of his defensemen. I know his thing is pushing his teammates to be better when they make a mistake on the ice, but I noticed in the highlight package last night him just blatantly yelling at Anthony DeAngelo after a couple goals, which can be damaging to a young defenseman's confidence. They gotta build those kids up, not tear em down when they make a mistake, so I wonder if the Rangers slide back into a rebuild over the next couple years if Lundqvist kind of tempers back some of that fire after a frustrating goal against, those mistakes are gonna happen often when you're dealing with young defensemen.

I never got that impression that Lunqvist has been hard on his teammates, but I don't watch a ton of Ranger games.  I think DeAngelo is a special case.  He's a guy that has legit attitude and arrogance issues, so I can imagine there's a lot about him that could rub even the most mild mannered veterans the wrong way. 

9 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

That's true... I guess if he really wanted to try and win a Cup somewhere else, he and the Rags could do something with a team like St. Louis, but Lundqvist, Mr. NYC, probably wouldn't like it in a one horse, midwestern town like that.

What I mean is that he could be the best goalie in hockey, but his cap hit makes it very difficult to trade him except maybe in the last year or two of his deal.  It's close to the same thing at play that resulted in Giancarlo Stanton getting traded for virtually nothing.  I imagine the Canadians are having the same issues trying to trade Price.  There's a reason why the last goalie to get traded for a substantial return currently plays for us.

• Like 1