2017-2018 Out of Town Thread

Daniel

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I doubt it. These idiots never think outside the box. If he doesn't stay with the Islanders, he'll get stars in his eyes and go to the Rags, Habs, or Leafs. I'd be shocked if anything else happened. But I hope Shero at least picks up the phone, can't hurt to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I say this as someone who doesn't follow players in any way shape or form off the ice but Tavares doesn't strike me as someone who thinks like that.  If he does leave the Islanders, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him sign with an up and coming team like Carolina who has the defense in place and just needs to add a top line C and a goalie to get really good really fast.   The Devils kind of fall in the same boat IMO.   

I also think Poile should reach out prior to signing day and see if he can't flip Ryan Johanssen who is signed for 7 more years for a signed JT.  He's not as good but if the Islanders can salvage a 1C out of this, they should do it,.       

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I doubt it. These idiots never think outside the box. If he doesn't stay with the Islanders, he'll get stars in his eyes and go to the Rags, Habs, or Leafs. I'd be shocked if anything else happened. But I hope Shero at least picks up the phone, can't hurt to try.

Leafs would make sense since he’s from that area. Getting him out of the Metro sounds good to me. 

To follow up, I think Shero will look to get one of Tavares, Carlson or Karlsson.  Doesn’t mean he gets any of them obviously, but I think he’ll be at least in on all three.

I'm hoping for Carlson. Fills a big need and won't cost assets.

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I guess the $1000000 question would be how many big contracts would you want on the books?  JT and Hall (two years left) on big long-term contracts would eat up a big chunk of cap space.  There will be RFAs to pay as well (Nico, Bratt, Butch, etc).  Just food for thought. 

I want to re-sign Nico. If having Tavares long term meant we had to let go of Bratt and/or Butcher, I think I would probably do that. 

27 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Leafs would make sense since he’s from that area. Getting him out of the Metro sounds good to me. 

Pretty sure that's where he's headed if not staying with the Islanders. 

Want no part of Carlson. His numbers are inflated from playing PP1 with Ovechkin and Backstrom. Vatanen and Severson are more than fine on the right side. Now if he was a LD, that's a different story.

Re: Tavares, I think the idea would be to play him apart from Hall. Have two dominant lines that makes it impossible to choose who to match your top guys against:

Hall-Hischier-Bratt

Johansson-Tavares-Palmieri

That top 6 is beautiful

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Having a top 10 pick as a 3C would be something else...

McLeod's in the system too, though not having a great year in the O this season.  Getting way ahead of myself, but if JT somehow surprised the hell out of everyone by signing here, then a guy like McLeod might get moved as part of a package for someone else.

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

If Marty feels that way, then he feels that way...oh well.

I'd still be nervous as hell about signing him...I just think it's going to be a real shock for him when he tries to play for a team that isn't light-years better than all of the others.  And at his age and under these circumstances, I think it's going to be SO easy for him to just walk away by mid-season.  I do think he'll get off to a quick start though (say, 6 goals through 10 GP or something like that). 

• Like 1

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I do think he'll get off to a quick start though (say, 6 goals through 10 GP or something like that). 

I don't think that at all.  If he does come back (which I doubt), I actually think it'll be a hard transition for him, and he'll struggle at first, and either A ) give up and call it quits in the NHL forever and go back home, or B ) keep playing and eventually, maybe 15-20 games into the season, start hitting somewhat of a stride, but never entering that upper echelon of elite players in the league again.

2 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I don't think that at all.  If he does come back (which I doubt), I actually think it'll be a hard transition for him, and he'll struggle at first, and either A ) give up and call it quits in the NHL forever and go back home, or B ) keep playing and eventually, maybe 15-20 games into the season, start hitting somewhat of a stride, but never entering that upper echelon of elite players in the league again.

Guess we'll find out next season.  I think he'll get off to a fast start because the games tend to be a little less intense early on, teams are still kind of figuring themselves out...sometimes guys get off to flying starts (like Bratt), but then if Kovy does start strong, teams will say "OK, guess we gotta pay some attention to him", and then his numbers will drop off.  Basically I see him scoring 10-12 goals through 40-something games, but clearly looking less and less comfortable, and then saying "fvck it, I gave this a try, but I'm done." 

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Guess we'll find out next season.  I think he'll get off to a fast start because the games tend to be a little less intense early on, teams are still kind of figuring themselves out...sometimes guys get off to flying starts (like Bratt), but then if Kovy does start strong, teams will say "OK, guess we gotta pay some attention to him", and then his numbers will drop off.  Basically I see him scoring 10-12 goals through 40-something games, but clearly looking less and less comfortable, and then saying "fvck it, I gave this a try, but I'm done." 

That's true.  I mean from a purely skill standpoint, he clearly has the talent to excel and perhaps quicker than most players would, but I just think that with the international game being a bit different than the NHL, and like you said him not being on as stacked of a team with as easy as he has it in the KHL right now, that he it would take a bit of an adjustment period before he really gets going.  You're right though, I guess we will see next year, maybe.

7 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Why does anyone think Bratt will somehow command money we can't afford?  

No one thinks that...but if he develops at a decent pace, he'll obviously get a nice raise when he goes RFA after his ELC expires.  As will Nico.  Not saying that the Devils wouldn't be able to afford him, just that there could be some cap issues to deal with in a couple of years (assuming the Devils bring in a big contract or two via UFA in the near future). 

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

No one thinks that...but if he develops at a decent pace, he'll obviously get a nice raise when he goes RFA after his ELC expires.  As will Nico.  Not saying that the Devils wouldn't be able to afford him, just that there could be some cap issues to deal with in a couple of years (assuming the Devils bring in a big contract or two via UFA in the near future). 

Which, of course, would be an amazing problem to have if the big contracts are being paid to players who are still playing at the level to warrant that salary. 

If we had "cap problems" right now, we'd likely have 1 or 2 additional highly paid stud players on our roster, and we likely wouldn't be worrying every day if we were in or out of the playoffs. Just saying, a little bit of "cap issues" might not be such a bad problem to have. 

8 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Which, of course, would be an amazing problem to have if the big contracts are being paid to players who are still playing at the level to warrant that salary. 

If we had "cap problems" right now, we'd likely have 1 or 2 additional highly paid stud players on our roster, and we likely wouldn't be worrying every day if we were in or out of the playoffs. Just saying, a little bit of "cap issues" might not be such a bad problem to have. 

A lot of times, that will come with the territory if you've been good for a while...I'm not implying cap issues down the line will have happened due to managerial screw-ups or poor decisions (or that having some cap issues in itself will be some horrible thing).  Unless you have a steady stream of cheap kids coming through the system, you gotta pay up to keep your top players (I'm sure Shero is going to try like hell to keep Hall, and yeah, it's going to cost him).  Will be interesting to see what the current kids get on their first RFA deals.

23 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah that's true I suppose.  Honestly, I kind of liken this to the situation the Lightning are in/have been in - granted they haven't really brought in someone from the outside that they paid a lot of money too, but in the same respect as Bratt, Nico, and some others will soon be due some money, the Bolts have had the same type of scenario for the better part of the past 5 years or so...signing guys like Tyler Johnson, Killorn, Kucherov, Hedman, Palat, etc.  Somehow Stevie Y continues to fit guys in and get it done without losing anyone.  I hope and believe Shero will be able to do the same.

• Like 1

Just now, NJDfan1711 said:

Yeah that's true I suppose.  Honestly, I kind of liken this to the situation the Lightning are in/have been in - granted they haven't really brought in someone from the outside that they paid a lot of money too, but in the same respect as Bratt, Nico, and some others will soon be due some money, the Bolts have had the same type of scenario for the better part of the past 5 years or so...signing guys like Tyler Johnson, Killorn, Kucherov, Hedman, Palat, etc.  Somehow Stevie Y continues to fit guys in and get it done without losing anyone.  I hope and believe Shero will be able to do the same.

Hell, Shero cashed in on teams that had cap issues, that couldn't afford to take contracts back:  Palms from the Ducks, MoJo from the Caps (unfortunate that that one didn't work out, but it made plenty of sense).  Yeah, if/when the Devils ever get into cap trouble, Shero will find some creative ways to try to manage it...but you can only do it for so long.  That's all a ways off though.

10 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Tampa Bay's cap problem (under a million in space according to Cap Friendly) has them first in the East and three points away from the President's Trophy at the moment. That is exactly the problem I would like to have, please. 

Interesting that the only teams in the league that have significantly more cap room than us are Carolina and Arizona, who have roughly double the cap room. Colorado and Edmonton have more room than us, but its within $500K-$1,000,000. 

Edited by mfitz804

4 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Of course he does...Kovalchuk's issues were never with his teammates (Elias aside), they were with the fans and his bosses.  He had one coach in his whole career he respected and no GM in the end since he shat all over Lou more than once.

Edited by NJDevs4978