2017-2018 Out of Town Thread

Daniel

28 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Because they play mostly sh!tbag competition while we have nothing but playoff teams on our schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Devils had literally dozen of opportunities before and after the “9 point super-duper-comfortable cushion” to take care of business whether it was losing to loser teams like Ottawa or at home to teams chasing at the time like Columbus or Philly (in Jan) or never-ending string of one-goal losses “while playing decent” without getting loser points. So, now they really need a 4-2 road trip to stay in contention. I believe CBS Sportsline has the most accurate playoff projections and at this point it’s around 30-something percent and even before with all this playoff-bound excitement it never reached more than 70%

Devils had literally dozen of opportunities before and after the “9 point super-duper-comfortable cushion” to take care of business whether it was losing to loser teams like Ottawa or at home to teams chasing at the time like Columbus or Philly (in Jan) or never-ending string of one-goal losses “while playing decent” without getting loser points. So, now they really need a 4-2 road trip to stay in contention. I believe CBS Sportsline has the most accurate playoff projections and at this point it’s around 30-something percent and even before with all this playoff-bound excitement it never reached more than 70%

You can point to any number of games over the course of a season if you end up missing the playoffs by a handful of points... But the supposedly elite goalie who's getting paid $6 million a year has lost 10 starts in a row and has given up at least three goals in every single one. If we miss, that's what I'm pointing at, that's what a lot of other people will be pointing at, and we'll all be well within our rights for it. That is unspeakably bad for any goalie, let alone Cory Schneider. Of course the lack of consistent scoring from anyone not named Hall is a big issue too... But to not get elite goaltending from a goaltender who is paid like he's elite, and is generally thought of as elite- that's what's gonna torpedo this thing in the end if it he doesn't start stopping pucks right now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

You can point to any number of games over the course of a season if you end up missing the playoffs by a handful of points... But the supposedly elite goalie who's getting paid $6 million a year has lost 10 starts in a row and has given up at least three goals in every single one. If we miss, that's what I'm pointing at, that's what a lot of other people will be pointing at, and we'll all be well within our rights for it. That is unspeakably bad for any goalie, let alone Cory Schneider. Of course the lack of consistent scoring from anyone not named Hall is a big issue too... But to not get elite goaltending from a goaltender who is paid like he's elite, and is generally thought of as elite- that's what's gonna torpedo this thing in the end if it he doesn't start stopping pucks right now.

Schneider has a better save % than Price this season making 6m and price will be making 10.5m for the next 8 years. And his play is already dropping. 

Take a second to appreciate this

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

No argument from me, yes with all mitigating factors such as tough injury and being a real pro going to minors for conditioning and lack of offensive support outside of Hall and terrible defensive breakdowns that result in grade A++ scoring chances gotta stop some of those, get to OT and get extra point or two. Mamin’s goal comes to mind: 1-1 midway through the third just get to freaking OT 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

No, that is THE issue. In each of his last 3 games, he's given up 3 goals. That's obviously not elite, but for fvck's sake, that's NOT supposed to be a back-breaker. 3 GA for 5 games is not supposed to mean a 5-game losing streak. In what world is lack of secondary scoring not the bolded underlined capitalized headline here (with not-elite numbers by Cory being a secondary or tertiary reason we're losing)? It's 3 goals, find a fvcking way to win, please. But in 5 of these games, we had no answer? It's frustrating that the fanbase's collective criticism of this losing streak involves huge angry paragraphs directed at Cory and like a puny "also, we need secondary scoring" thrown in just at the end. That's kind of a big deal.

Edited by DJ Eco

No, that is THE issue. In each of his last 3 games, he's given up 3 goals. That's obviously not elite, but for fvck's sake, that's NOT supposed to be a back-breaker. 3 GA for 5 games is not supposed to mean a 5-game losing streak. In what world is lack of secondary scoring not the bolded underlined capitalized headline here (with not-elite numbers by Cory being a secondary or tertiary reason we're losing)? It's 3 goals, find a fvcking way to win, please. But in 5 of these games, we had no answer? It's frustrating that the fanbase's collective criticism of this losing streak involves huge angry paragraphs directed at Cory and like a puny "also, we need secondary scoring" thrown in just at the end. That's kind of a big deal.

10 losses in a row. 3 goals in EVERY ONE. Can you steal ONE of them?! Make a big save in ONE of them to keep that third goal out?! Isn't that what elite goalies are supposed to do? The forward corps has to score more, no doubt, no debate- but they've been ravaged by injuries at various times, and then you've had the kids hit the rookie wall on top of it. There are legitimate factors why we haven't scored more at times. What's the 'elite' goaltender who makes elite goaltender money's excuse for a sub .900? And this is on top of his sh!tty season last year. Sorry, Cory is gonna get the majority of the blame until he starts stopping more pucks.

45 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

10 losses in a row. 3 goals in EVERY ONE. Can you steal ONE of them?! Make a big save in ONE of them to keep that third goal out?! Isn't that what elite goalies are supposed to do? The forward corps has to score more, no doubt, no debate- but they've been ravaged by injuries at various times, and then you've had the kids hit the rookie wall on top of it. There are legitimate factors why we haven't scored more at times. What's the 'elite' goaltender who makes elite goaltender money's excuse for a sub .900? And this is on top of his sh!tty season last year. Sorry, Cory is gonna get the majority of the blame until he starts stopping more pucks.

This is all being overblown. If anyone outside of Taylor Hall could show some desire, some competence, the ammo for that cheap headline "10 losses in a row!!!!" talking point is gone. Okay, early January, he was truly bad (the first 5 of that 10 game streak), letting in 4-5 goals; that stretch was as painful and at times extremely unlucky at all parts of the ice as I've ever seen. That's the reason I bring up the the last 5, because he let in 3 in those games. We couldn't win a SINGLE ONE of these game where we let up 3 goals? Even THAT is misleading. Let's look at these games, let's talk about the chances Cory gave us to get into these games:

Jets-Devils: 3-2

Early demoralizing goal, but Cory keeps it to 1-0 until 13:26 in the 2nd when Jets score again.

Palmieri scores shortly after and Cory kept it 2-1 until 9:55 in the 3rd.

We lose 3-2, too little too late with Nico's goal shortly after. We went 0 for 4 on power plays.

Golden Knights-Devils: 3-2

Cory keeps it scoreless until 4:39 in the 2nd. 

We have a quick answer but go down 3-1 before Taylor Hall gets it back to 3-2.

No answer in the 3rd.

Panthers-Devils: 3-2

Early goal, but then Cory keeps it scoreless til the midpoint of the 3rd.

We let 2 goals in the 3rd and Jesper Bratt's first goal since god knows when in the last 2 minutes is not enough to save us.

Bruins-Devils: 3-2

Cory keeps it scoreless in the 1st, lets in a goal midpoint of the 2nd. We claw back to make it 2-1.

Admittedly, he has a poor ending to the 2nd letting in 2 more goals, but this is when he left injured.

We had no answer in the 3rd despite Kinkaid keeping it scoreless. We went 0 for 4 on power plays.

Red Wings-Devils: 3-0

Early goal, but then Cory keeps it tight until the last minute of the 2nd. 

Red Wings don't score again til the second half of the 3rd.

Devils have no answer, they get shut out. We had 5 power plays.

I mean, C'MON, is any other team in the league this powerless in the face of at the very most 1-2 GA in the span of 40-50 minutes of play? How do you not figure a way out of one of these 5 games? It's not like we're down 2-0 or 3-0 in the first 10 minutes of play in these games, these score lines aren't a death sentence. I mean, win one of these, for god damn's sakes. Of course Cory can be better, no one's saying he shouldn't or can't be, but turn on NHL Network at any point this season, no team is winning games without scoring 3-4-5 goals. It's cheap and easy to say "CORY'S LOST 10 GAMES IN A ROW!!!! HE SUCKS!!!". But our secondary offense is obviously more to blame. We have no business even thinking about the playoffs if we can't find a way to gain leads in games where our goalies are limiting the scoreline to 1-2 GA most of the time through the middle of the 3rd period and we can't find a way to score (outside of the daily "Taylor Hall pulls one out of his ass" file).

Edited by DJ Eco

6 minutes ago, CarterforPresident said:

Cory can't get it done. Plain and simple. There are other factors by us of course but he's the biggest. 

Yeah, I truly wish he would score that much needed goal when we're only down 1-0 through 30-40 minutes of play. Really wish he would do something on the power play instead of us going 0 for 4 or 0 for 5 every other game the last 2 months.

I can't understand anyone who thinks he's the BIGGEST factor, it's baffling to me.

Edited by DJ Eco
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

Yeah, I truly wish he would score that much needed goal when we're only down 1-0 through 30-40 minutes of play. Really wish he would do something on the power play instead of us going 0 for 4 or 0 for 5 every other game the last 2 months.

I can't understand anyone who thinks he's the BIGGEST factor, it's baffling to me.

As stated there are other factors. But he is being paid to play elite. Something he is not giving us. Instead letting in bad goals. The team seems to score more KK in net. Why? Idk. KK plays alittle worse but gets better support. 

Edited by CarterforPresident

7 minutes ago, CarterforPresident said:

As stated there are other factors. But he is being paid to play elite. Something he is not giving us. Instead letting in bad goals. The team seems to score more KK in net. Why? Idk. KK plays alittle worse but gets better support. 

Agreed and can't put my finger on it. Kinkaid would let in 1-2 goals in the first 10-15 minutes but the team somehow found ways to keep pushing and claw back. Hell, they scored 6 on Montreal the other night! He proceeded to let 4 in but it was a non-issue. It is puzzling and discouraging, reminds me of when he was sharing the net with Brodeur and would post stretches of .950+ sv. % games that we'd lose 1-0 or 2-1 while Brodeur would post .880 sv. % we'd win 7-6 days later. That's not to take anything away from the fact that Schneider needs to play better, but still head-scratching at times.

Edited by DJ Eco
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

Agreed and can't put my finger on it. Kinkaid would let in 1-2 goals in the first 10-15 minutes but the team somehow found ways to keep pushing and claw back. Hell, they scored 6 on Montreal the other night! He proceeded to let 4 in but it was a non-issue. It is puzzling and discouraging, reminds me of when he was sharing the net with Brodeur and would post stretches of .950+ sv. % games that we'd lose 1-0 or 2-1 while Brodeur would post .880 sv. % we'd win 7-6 days later.

It's baffling to me as well.

25 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

This is all being overblown. If anyone outside of Taylor Hall could show some desire, some competence, the ammo for that cheap headline "10 losses in a row!!!!" talking point is gone. Okay, early January, he was truly bad (the first 5 of that 10 game streak), letting in 4-5 goals; that stretch was as painful and at times extremely unlucky at all parts of the ice as I've ever seen. That's the reason I bring up the the last 5, because he let in 3 in those games. We couldn't win a SINGLE ONE of these game where we let up 3 goals? Even THAT is misleading. Let's look at these games, let's talk about the chances Cory gave us to get into these games:

Jets-Devils: 3-2

Early demoralizing goal, but Cory keeps it to 1-0 until 13:26 in the 2nd when Jets score again.

Palmieri scores shortly after and Cory kept it 2-1 until 9:55 in the 3rd.

We lose 3-2, too little too late with Nico's goal shortly after. We went 0 for 4 on power plays.

Golden Knights-Devils: 3-2

Cory keeps it scoreless until 4:39 in the 2nd. 

We have a quick answer but go down 3-1 before Taylor Hall gets it back to 3-2.

No answer in the 3rd.

Panthers-Devils: 3-2

Early goal, but then Cory keeps it scoreless til the midpoint of the 3rd.

We let 2 goals in the 3rd and Jesper Bratt's first goal since god knows when in the last 2 minutes is not enough to save us.

Bruins-Devils: 3-2

Cory keeps it scoreless in the 1st, lets in a goal midpoint of the 2nd. We claw back to make it 2-1.

Admittedly, he has a poor ending to the 2nd letting in 2 more goals, but this is when he left injured.

We had no answer in the 3rd despite Kinkaid keeping it scoreless. We went 0 for 4 on power plays.

Red Wings-Devils: 3-0

Early goal, but then Cory keeps it tight until the last minute of the 2nd. 

Red Wings don't score again til the second half of the 3rd.

Devils have no answer, they get shut out. We had 5 power plays.

I mean, C'MON, is any other team in the league this powerless in the face of at the very most 1-2 GA in the span of 40-50 minutes of play? How do you not figure a way out of one of these 5 games? It's not like we're down 2-0 or 3-0 in the first 10 minutes of play in these games, these score lines aren't a death sentence. I mean, win one of these, for god damn's sakes. Of course Cory can be better, no one's saying he shouldn't or can't be, but turn on NHL Network at any point this season, no team is winning games without scoring 3-4-5 goals. It's cheap and easy to say "CORY'S LOST 10 GAMES IN A ROW!!!! HE SUCKS!!!". But our secondary offense is obviously more to blame. We have no business even thinking about the playoffs if we can't find a way to gain leads in games where our goalies are limiting the scoreline to 1-2 GA most of the time through the middle of the 3rd period and we can't find a way to score (outside of the daily "Taylor Hall pulls one out of his ass" file).

Not all recent 3-2 losses are the same. Florida game when you have a big cushion in the standings on the team you’re playing against just bad and demoralizing goal midway through the third. Winnipeg game cant be blamed on any goalie - you can’t leave freaking Laine of all people completely and utterly alone 2 feet in front and expect your goalie to make a save or whatever combination of luck and completely open ehlers on the third and in between just a great shot by a random forward who never scored more than 7 goals a season

• Like 2

16 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Because they play mostly sh!tbag competition while we have nothing but playoff teams on our schedule.

That's not necessarily true. We typically do pretty well against better teams and sh!t the bed with weaker teams. The reason FLA and CBJ are looking invincible is because they both have better defense and goaltending so they're more complex to win against. With the Devils all you have to do is stop their offense since the team's goaltending and defense is sh!t. That's why you see all these 3-2 wins against us. The teams basically go with the plan of scoring early and often then tightening up later in the game. If we tie it up then, oh well, that's not scary to the opponent because they know they have a good shot of getting the GWG against us. The only way we typically win is if we get a lead of at least 3 goals or more early on since it's inevitable that the opponent will come withing 1 or 2 goals of tying it up. You can't win with that strategy since it involves too many variable to make it just right. I totally believe that's why we did well early on in the season. Teams eventually came to the realization that our d and goaltending is far below decent: Just keep shooting no matter how many the Devils score because they're bound to let us back in.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CarterforPresident said:

The team seems to score more KK in net. Why? Idk. KK plays alittle worse but gets better support. 

I haven't checked but I bet it has something to do with strength of opponent. Schneider faces, on average, more dangerous shots.