GDT: Colorado @ Devils 2:00 PM-Opening Day at the Rock

MadDog2020

2 minutes ago, jagknife said:

What an awesome time yesterday.

Nico... man is he going to be fun to watch... absolutely loved the toe drag coming back into the defensive zone to bide time for the line change, made the clean pass to get himself the change. Loved that he was the first one to go after fvckboi Johnson.

Really, I had so few things to bitch about last night, even the freaking You Suck chant didn't annoy me like it used to. Hmmmm, weird how winning changes things. I will say, will someone push Lord Stabley off the upper deck, please... as much as I was glad he tried to get energy going when we sucked, he'll never be Bauman 2.0.

Gonna miss being at the rock this Renaissance season of this team and I hope to hear the fans coming out huge for them in games other than the opener and the Rags.

Let's go Devils!!!

If Nico would've thrown down with Johnson people would've lost their sh!t. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Why did the rookies (and only the rookies) come out without their helmets for warmups? Did the vets hide them?

Awesome game - so much FUN!! That's what we like to see - more of that please :D

Butcher, Bratt and Nico Hischier all skated without helmets during pregame warmups, and it appears to be part of a collective effort by the rest of the team to introduce the rookies to the NHL. Bratt said he didn't know who was behind it, and Hischier said when they walked into the locker room, their helmets were gone from their stalls.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2017/10/devils_beat_avs_observations_cory_schneiders_start.html

• Like 2

Some observations from 208. Yes, I am fully aware it was (only) Colorado:

1) We got to our seats about 15 minutes prior to player introductions. The new scoreboard obviously stuck out (in a fantastic way) but being that high up, I did wonder if it would be distracting during game play. I was happy to learn that it did not. It's such a massive upgrade over the small one that we had since the Rock opened in 07. I'm sure some people will still complain about ownership.

2) I didn't mind the jerseys when they first revealed them back in June but thought they were a clear downgrade. However, watching the Devils play in them live, they look gorgeous. Much sleeker than the previous design. Not going to say they are better but they are pleasing to eye.

3) There was a ton to cheer about, but from the onset, the crowd was into it. Lots of LGD chants throughout, every chance and save was reacted to and the place went bonkers for every goal. I was even happy to hear everyone booing Johnson every time he touched the puck after the Palmieri knee. Well done, Devils fans. 

4) I will say I was pleasantly surprised that Hynes scratched LJ. Remember, he was second in toi last season, behind Greene and ahead of Severson. He was absolutely brutal last season and he picked up where he left off in the preseason. I'm sure he'll see a lot of games but at least Hynes is paying attention.

5) Onto player observations- I'll start with the meh. I didn't think Zacha looked as assertive as he did in the preseason. I recall a 2 on 1 with Hall where Taylor gave him a feed in the slot and he tried to get it back to Hall, rather than rip a shot. You saw his skill on display at times, but he can be better and I suspect he will. Johansson didn't look in sync with his linemates but you can see he is going to give dmen fits with his speed. So lucky that Shero was able to pluck him from the Caps. Moore was Moore. Brutal defensive reads and decisions with the puck on one end- superb offensive instincts and shot on the other. 

6) Nico was better than expected. He was everywhere, exhibiting his skill, speed and even toughness(!). It's insane that he didn't even register a point but it's pretty safe to say we have a star on our hands. His game is so mature on the defensive side. The only drawback to his game is that he needs to add strength but he's 18 and has plenty of time. For those who haven't seen this, check out this video on Nico's stickhandling. Getting off 6 shots on 10 attempts shows how dangerous he was. 

7) Jesper ******* Bratt, ladies and gentlemen. The "other" rookie forward had an absolute snipe on the PP and displayed sick vision on the Moore goal. His anticipation and stick work on the PK will play in this league for sure. There was play on the PK just before Moore's goal that he was on the rush on the PK, twirled back towards our zone to kill more time. He tried to backhand it into their zone but whiffed and the Avs got a chance. I was thinking that Hynes was going to take him off the PK but he didn't. Next shift, Bratt set up Moore for the goal. 

8) I really liked what I saw from the D all game. Butcher was an ace on the PP with this 3 points. I thought he was average 5 on 5, but if that's the case, he will be a net positive player due to his PP prowess. I thought Mueller was solid. Severson was his usual stud-like self; breaking up lots of zone entries and showing good offensive instincts. Man, was it ever good to see Greene back to start the third. This team cannot afford an injury to #6 or #28, especially with the rest of the D being a major ???. They did give up a ton of shots, but they were faced with a lot of PKs and were winning for 95% of the game. Colorado has a lot of dangerous forwards like Mackinnon, Duchene, Rantanen and Landeskog. I'm not so confident against teams with a lot of firepower.

9) If the Devils are going to do anything this year, Schneider has to be our best player. I still think the shot counter was trigger happy last night but you can't discount how solid positionally he was all game. A bounceback season from Cory could sneak us into the playoffs.

10) Speed, speed, speed. The Devils are going to be fun to watch this year. They probably won't make the playoffs, or maybe even be any good until they fix the defense. I think their speed can give most team fits. A group of Hall, Johansson, Palmieri, Hischier, Zacha and Bratt will be tough to contain, especially for teams with slow defenses. Cool to see Shero's vision coming to fruition.

11) Overall a great start to the season. The Devils absolutely can't afford losing Palmieri for a lengthy amount of time and probably not even Stafford with our horrid rw depth. Hopefully, they're ok. Just gonna drop our top performers possession-wise from yesterday:

1) Hischier- 58.6%

2) Bratt- 57%

3) Butcher- 57%

4) Mojo- 56%

5) Severson- 54%

6) Moore- 53%

7) Zacha- 53%

DAT FUTURE!

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Awesome game - so much FUN!! That's what we like to see - more of that please :D

Butcher, Bratt and Nico Hischier all skated without helmets during pregame warmups, and it appears to be part of a collective effort by the rest of the team to introduce the rookies to the NHL. Bratt said he didn't know who was behind it, and Hischier said when they walked into the locker room, their helmets were gone from their stalls.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2017/10/devils_beat_avs_observations_cory_schneiders_start.html

Surprised they went that way for initiation, considering Franken-Hall is on the team and all

38 minutes ago, SMantzas said:

Some observations from 208. Yes, I am fully aware it was (only) Colorado:

1) We got to our seats about 15 minutes prior to player introductions. The new scoreboard obviously stuck out (in a fantastic way) but being that high up, I did wonder if it would be distracting during game play. I was happy to learn that it did not. It's such a massive upgrade over the small one that we had since the Rock opened in 07. I'm sure some people will still complain about ownership.

2) I didn't mind the jerseys when they first revealed them back in June but thought they were a clear downgrade. However, watching the Devils play in them live, they look gorgeous. Much sleeker than the previous design. Not going to say they are better but they are pleasing to eye.

3) There was a ton to cheer about, but from the onset, the crowd was into it. Lots of LGD chants throughout, every chance and save was reacted to and the place went bonkers for every goal. I was even happy to hear everyone booing Johnson every time he touched the puck after the Palmieri knee. Well done, Devils fans. 

4) I will say I was pleasantly surprised that Hynes scratched LJ. Remember, he was second in toi last season, behind Greene and ahead of Severson. He was absolutely brutal last season and he picked up where he left off in the preseason. I'm sure he'll see a lot of games but at least Hynes is paying attention.

5) Onto player observations- I'll start with the meh. I didn't think Zacha looked as assertive as he did in the preseason. I recall a 2 on 1 with Hall where Taylor gave him a feed in the slot and he tried to get it back to Hall, rather than rip a shot. You saw his skill on display at times, but he can be better and I suspect he will. Johansson didn't look in sync with his linemates but you can see he is going to give dmen fits with his speed. So lucky that Shero was able to pluck him from the Caps. Moore was Moore. Brutal defensive reads and decisions with the puck on one end- superb offensive instincts and shot on the other. 

6) Nico was better than expected. He was everywhere, exhibiting his skill, speed and even toughness(!). It's insane that he didn't even register a point but it's pretty safe to say we have a star on our hands. His game is so mature on the defensive side. The only drawback to his game is that he needs to add strength but he's 18 and has plenty of time. For those who haven't seen this, check out this video on Nico's stickhandling. Getting off 6 shots on 10 attempts shows how dangerous he was. 

7) Jesper ******* Bratt, ladies and gentlemen. The "other" rookie forward had an absolute snipe on the PP and displayed sick vision on the Moore goal. His anticipation and stick work on the PK will play in this league for sure. There was play on the PK just before Moore's goal that he was on the rush on the PK, twirled back towards our zone to kill more time. He tried to backhand it into their zone but whiffed and the Avs got a chance. I was thinking that Hynes was going to take him off the PK but he didn't. Next shift, Bratt set up Moore for the goal. 

8) I really liked what I saw from the D all game. Butcher was an ace on the PP with this 3 points. I thought he was average 5 on 5, but if that's the case, he will be a net positive player due to his PP prowess. I thought Mueller was solid. Severson was his usual stud-like self; breaking up lots of zone entries and showing good offensive instincts. Man, was it ever good to see Greene back to start the third. This team cannot afford an injury to #6 or #28, especially with the rest of the D being a major ???. They did give up a ton of shots, but they were faced with a lot of PKs and were winning for 95% of the game. Colorado has a lot of dangerous forwards like Mackinnon, Duchene, Rantanen and Landeskog. I'm not so confident against teams with a lot of firepower.

9) If the Devils are going to do anything this year, Schneider has to be our best player. I still think the shot counter was trigger happy last night but you can't discount how solid positionally he was all game. A bounceback season from Cory could sneak us into the playoffs.

10) Speed, speed, speed. The Devils are going to be fun to watch this year. They probably won't make the playoffs, or maybe even be any good until they fix the defense. I think their speed can give most team fits. A group of Hall, Johansson, Palmieri, Hischier, Zacha and Bratt will be tough to contain, especially for teams with slow defenses. Cool to see Shero's vision coming to fruition.

11) Overall a great start to the season. The Devils absolutely can't afford losing Palmieri for a lengthy amount of time and probably not even Stafford with our horrid rw depth.

I was in 227.

1) Scoreboard is awesome and was almost overwhelming at first...it's fvcking HUGE!  It somehow makes all elements of the game feels a little smaller initially (sitting where I did I had the same concerns that you expressed)...but you quickly get used to the new scale.  An amazing addition.

2) I still prefer the old jerseys, but the new ones have grown on me more than I would've thought.  If they ever modify the stripe ratios (the size of the white stripes on the red jerseys still don't feel quite right), I could live with the rest of the design.  I don't know if I would think of them as "sleek"...the word "lean" comes to mind for me.

3) Yeah, like Henrique said, almost felt like a playoff game.  One of the most enthusiastic Devils crowds that I've been in.  Both my wife and my daughter noticed the difference from previous games that they've attended.

4) Lovejoy in a suit and being a healthy scratch is the best I've seen him look as a Devil.  Agree that he'll play for sure, but clearly after last season he needed to prove some things in preseason.  He didn't.  Glad to see that he wasn't just gifted a spot in the lineup regardless...his contract alone could've ensured some games right off the bat.  It's also not a bad message to send to everyone else on the team.

5) Not going to get on anyone too much after one game, but Johansson had a pretty rough day.  Not worried about him in the slightest, just an observation.  Defense is going to have some issues, but at least there's guys with upside...as long as Lovejoy doesn't become a regular (or at the very least get the same amount of minutes as last season), the unit should be better than last season's.  Hopefully Schneider has a bounceback year too.

6) Loved when Nico went after Johnson.  Talk about scoring serious points with everyone right off the bat (especially his teammates).  Guy had a hell of a debut, points or no points.

7) Nice debut for Bratt...almost feels like he's too good to be true, considering where he was drafted.  Will be a great story if he somehow sticks with the big club...can't say I'm expecting it.

8) See #5...I'm just looking for overall improvement.  Based on the personnel, hard to think they shouldn't be better.

9) Agree, Schneider at the top of his game (along with a number of other factors) gives the Devils a shot at a playoff berth...last year's Schneider will make it almost impossible.  This D will need some bailing out at times.

10) Yes, yes, yes to speed, speed, speed.  They have more of it than they've had in years.  Even the still-competitive post-Cup teams seemed to be so predicated on near-perfect execution and minimal margin for error...this roster is still being constructed, but the foundation is one that should have a lot more leeway and much more of a chance to win when things are more ragged.  Agree that this is Shero's vision...not every move he's made has worked out (as is this case with all GMs, really), and he got a big break with the Devils being in the position to select Hischier (though even then he showed some balls in not taking Patrick, who was probably the more "obvious" pick...of course we won't know for years if there's a "winner" with that one), but he came in with a pretty clear plan as to what he wanted to build, and he's done so quickly and quite creativity.  I'm guessing most of the posts from when he was first hired had us wondering how the hell ANYONE could turn this around as Shero has.  The man has really done a hell of a job, and I'm glad he's here.

11) Sadly, yes, losing Palms long-term will sting.  I feel like he could be Captain material someday...in some ways he reminds me of Johnny Mac (the player).  He'd be sorely missed.  Pretty sure my fingers can't be crossed any more tightly than they already are. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And on another note, could've done without the "Rangers suck Flyers swallow!" crap right behind me (only a matter of time before she asks what that means), but like I've said, the world is what it is and I don't expect it to change or sanitize itself because my daughter happens to be around.  Didn't take away from what was otherwise a great experience.

The Rangers part doesn’t bother me. Even though we know where the “suck” comes from, yelling that the other team sucks at a sporting event is not talking about that, it’s just a general disapproval term and my daughter gets that.

The Flyers part isn’t witty at all, and also, I don’t even think about the Flyers as being a rival on the same level of the Rangers. 

I have her to the point that after the “Rangers Suck” part, she just starts screaming and cheering, obscuring the second part. I don’t think she knows what they are saying. 

1 hour ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Yup, that’s what I assumed. I like it. As long as nobody was hurt. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

The Rangers part doesn’t bother me. Even though we know where the “suck” comes from, yelling that the other team sucks at a sporting event is not talking about that, it’s just a general disapproval term and my daughter gets that.

The Flyers part isn’t witty at all, and also, I don’t even think about the Flyers as being a rival on the same level of the Rangers. 

I have her to the point that after the “Rangers Suck” part, she just starts screaming and cheering, obscuring the second part. I don’t think she knows what they are saying. 

My kid gets the "suck" part as meaning general disapproval...she doesn't know about "swallow" though (and has yet to ask).  I don't partake in any Rangers suck chants but am pretty much neutral to their presence.  I really wish the lame-ass FS second part would just die out already, but it seems like it won't ever go away completely. 

9 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

My kid gets the "suck" part as meaning general disapproval...she doesn't know about "swallow" though (and has yet to ask).  I don't partake in any Rangers suck chants but am pretty much neutral to their presence.  I really wish the lame-ass FS second part would just die out already, but it seems like it won't ever go away completely. 

Yup, agree totally. 

They were right next to us, incidentally...what section were you in?

I have nothing specific to add that others haven't already covered, but just have to say that was the most fun I've had at a Devils game since 2012.

Crowd was alive, the team was entertaining as hell.  The future seems bright guys.

Oh, and how about that new intro video with Dano?  That got me HYPED, crowd was buzzing.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yup, agree totally. 

They were right next to us, incidentally...what section were you in?

I was in 227, Row 5, Seats 1-3.  The loudest RS-FS peeps in our section were directly behind us.  They weren't disruptive or obnoxious in any way though.  Saw a couple of VERY loaded Devils fans though, heh heh...one guy in the bathroom looked like he was going to lose his balance any second, and the guy two seats down from me was trashed...nice enough guy and I chatted with him for a bit (he thought it was very funny that he was only five years old when the Devils won the Cup in 2000, while I was soon to be 30), but I doubt he remembered any of the conversation this morning.  Hope he didn't drive home.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

1 minute ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I have nothing specific to add that others haven't already covered, but just have to say that was the most fun I've had at a Devils game since 2012.

Crowd was alive, the team was entertaining as hell.  The future seems bright guys.

Oh, and how about that new intro video with Dano?  That got me HYPED, crowd was buzzing.

I do hope we get a solid music video to go with it as the season goes on

5 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I missed most of the 2nd and 3rd period to watch my Canes beat Florida State for the first time in 8 years. My erection has lasted way longer than the allotted 4 hours.

that being said, crushed to hear about Palms and Stafford. I know there’s nothing official yet, but any guesses as to the severity?

Saw somewhere that Palms' injury might be nothing more than a bone bruise, but nothing official yet.  Looked pretty bad when it happened...I'd consider a bone bruise to be a best-case scenario.   

Not sure what happened with Stafford...I don't remember seeing anything that suggested an injury.

17 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I was in 227, Row 5, Seats 1-3.  The loudest RS-FS peeps in our section were directly behind us.  They weren't disruptive or obnoxious in any way though.  Saw a couple of VERY loaded Devils fans though, heh heh...one guy in the bathroom looked like he was going to lose his balance any second, and the guy two seats down from me was trashed...nice enough guy and I chatted with him for a bit (he thought it was very funny that he was only five years old when the Devils won the Cup in 2000, while I was soon to be 30), but I doubt he remembered any of the conversation this morning.  Hope he didn't drive home.

I was in 122, the folks in 123 were very into it. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I was in 122, the folks in 123 were very into it. 

And SO much red in the crowd...almost made me feel guilty for wearing my white game-issued McMullen night Auvitu.  Might go to the 10/13 game, just have to find someone to go with.  Already going on 10/20 and 10/28.  Fun to be excited about going to games again.  Much better feeling.

32 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And SO much red in the crowd...almost made me feel guilty for wearing my white game-issued McMullen night Auvitu.  Might go to the 10/13 game, just have to find someone to go with.  Already going on 10/20 and 10/28.  Fun to be excited about going to games again.  Much better feeling.

A ton of red, much more than a typical game last season. Didn’t see many people in white jerseys, those who were werealmost exclusively pre Reebok.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Hey I'm looking to buy some tickets in the 200s for when my buddy comes in from Montana.  I haven't sat up there (specifically the more center ice sections) in a long time, but I vaguely remember the railing and glass being in the way when seated in the front few rows.  Is this just seating near the aisle?  If I'm in row 2 (front row), am I looking through glass the whole time? Is row 3 the way to go?

Insight from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

ALOT of fun to be there yesterday, literally have not had that much fun at a devils game since 2012. it was a playoff atmosphere for sure. hoping that palms is alright and its sounding like he will be, if we lost him that would be a huge set back to our season. with that being said I didn't see Stafford go out, what happened to him?

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

A ton of red, much more than a typical game last season. Didn’t see many people in white jerseys, those who were werealmost exclusively pre Reebok.

Was there many people wearing the Adidas? And if so how'd they look on your average fans? 

9 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Was there many people wearing the Adidas? And if so how'd they look on your average fans? 

There were a number of Adidas, mostly Hischier. I think they look good, the way they are cut they definitely look less good the more out of shape you are, it accentuates the fact that the crest is lower toward the belly rather than up on the chest. But overall, not that bad and you’d have to be looking to find them. It was still 99% the old style. 

I really love the way the full uniform looks. They don't necessarily look better on fans though. To be honest, I'd buy one this season if not for the price... it's like a full $70 more than the reeboks were, plus I usually purchase jerseys in the summer during icejersey's $10 customization sale so it's even more than that.

1 hour ago, Steven M. said:

I really love the way the full uniform looks. They don't necessarily look better on fans though. To be honest, I'd buy one this season if not for the price... it's like a full $70 more than the reeboks were, plus I usually purchase jerseys in the summer during icejersey's $10 customization sale so it's even more than that.

Gotta agree, the jersey looks terrible on the fans. On the players, once the game got going, didn't really notice anymore. But I wont be buying one of them