GDT: Colorado @ Devils 2:00 PM-Opening Day at the Rock

MadDog2020

1 minute ago, Triumph said:

If hits are way up then I'll agree they got a new person, but I thought Zacha had a shot that wasn't recorded.

He did, it was on a mini 2 on 1.

Early in the game, I had NJ up on shots 6-2, but the scoreboard read 2-0 NJ. A second later, it was 9-4. You'd think pressing a button would be simple.

10 minutes ago, SMantzas said:

He did, it was on a mini 2 on 1.

Early in the game, I had NJ up on shots 6-2, but the scoreboard read 2-0 NJ. A second later, it was 9-4. You'd think pressing a button would be simple.

I thought I noticed something like that too.  

2 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

What a fun atmosphere at the game today, I'd love to see that continue this year. The crowd even broke out the wave! Lol they were having a blast and it really showed. Nico looks awesome. I just hope Palmieri is ok, we will definitely need him this year. I'm on my way to the Red Bulls game now, I need another win to make it a perfect day! 

That wave went on forever. It was awesome. Kid who started said it was his birthday. Happy birthday wave starting kid lol. Great game and atmosphere tonight!!

• Like 3

Might be tough to send Bratt to London after 9 games.

Some observations from this game, beyond what has been mentioned about Bratt, Hischier, and Butcher:

The first line, if it stays intact, will be very good IMO. They'll need a bit of time to build chemistry, but you can tell that they compliment each other well. While they sometimes seemed to be playing the game at different speeds, I thought each player was reading the plays well and was working nicely with each other. It'll be cool because there isn't a dedicated playmaker and finisher (e.g. Kuznetsov/Backstrom and Ovechkin), but each player can assume a different role, depending on the situation. I think Hall and Zacha are both underrated playmakers.

I thought Santini played a great game. He's just so strong defensively, and he's starting to pitch in on offense, too. He has taken some steps forward since last season.

Hoping to see more out of Johansson in the next few games. He had some nice flashes, but I found that Nico was by far the best part of that line today.

I really liked the energy of the fourth line. They weren't generating a ton of quality chances, but they were tough to play against, and were winning some battles. It reminded me a bit of CBGB. Gone are the days of having an aging, slow 4th line.

Mueller had a couple of tough moments, but I expect there will be some growing pains for him this season. I still have pretty high hopes.

As a whole, it's always nice when talented players like MacKinnon and Duchene can't seem to get much going. 

I had no idea who anyone on the ice was today. 

Other than that, as others have mentioned Bratt looked great, Nico looked like the player we expect him to be, Hayes caused all sorts of havoc up front, and Butcher looked great on the PP as well.

Wasn't very impressed with Zacha. We also allowed a lot of shots and some quality chances. Though, the speed of our team keeps me hopeful for this season.

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

What a great day! 4-1 Devils win and Red Bulls won 3-0 and clinched a playoff spot! I only missed 7 mins of the Red Bulls game, awesome day! 

Same here. What a fun Devils game that was. Thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere, the overall play, the scoreboard, in game entertainment seems improved. Nico, Zacha, Butcher, and Bratt all looked superb. So excited for this team.

...and gibbons and Coleman were fantastic on the pk

Edited by devlman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, devlman said:

Same here. What a fun Devils game that was. Thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere, the overall play, the scoreboard, in game entertainment seems improved. Nico, Zacha, Butcher, and Bratt all looked superb. So excited for this team.

...and gibbons and Coleman were fantastic on the pk

I can actually say the Devils atmosphere was better today than the Red Bulls game and that makes me beyond happy. I know not every game is going to be like this but I really hope our fans try to maintain this atmosphere. It makes such a difference. I'm already excited to see how Friday is going to be and if he hasn't scored by then Nico will be scoring on Friday the 13th! Lol

So my daughter wound up sitting next to an Avalanche fan, who was there with his three Devils fan buddies. She was shooting him dirty looks the whole game, but she’s a 10 year old girl and he didn’t notice. 

Until, that is, Erik Johnson tripped over his own feet and she started laughing hysterically, which he did not enjoy but his buddies started high fiving her and also laughing at their friend, who they had already been razzing because of the score. 

Good times!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I can actually say the Devils atmosphere was better today than the Red Bulls game and that makes me beyond happy. I know not every game is going to be like this but I really hope our fans try to maintain this atmosphere. It makes such a difference. I'm already excited to see how Friday is going to be and if he hasn't scored by then Nico will be scoring on Friday the 13th! Lol

The devs atmosphere was way better than the Red Bulls', and you're right - it makes a huge difference. It's so great seeing the stands full and a good product on the ice. Friday can't come soon enough!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jerzey said:

Someone on hf posted that during the intermission of the Leafs/Rags game they said Palms is getting an MRI but it’s most likely a bruised bone. I didn’t personally see it so I can’t confirm.

What's HF?

6 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

So my daughter wound up sitting next to an Avalanche fan, who was there with his three Devils fan buddies. She was shooting him dirty looks the whole game, but she’s a 10 year old girl and he didn’t notice. 

Until, that is, Erik Johnson tripped over his own feet and she started laughing hysterically, which he did not enjoy but his buddies started high fiving her and also laughing at their friend, who they had already been razzing because of the score. 

Good times!!

Went with my wife and daughter (she turned 9 in August), and the only downer was that, for some reason, from about the middle of the second period on, my daughter kind of crashed hard...was kinda weird because she didn't eat a lot of sugary stuff or any crap prior (we don't let her eat too much of that stuff anyway, especially since daddy's a Type 2 diabetic)...I asked her if she was feeling sick, but she said no, just very tired.  Finally she said that being at the hockey game without being able to see the sun (while in her seat) made it feel like nighttime to her, as that's when she's usually watching the Devils.  I'm taking her again on 10/28...hoping she's feeling a bit more energetic for that one.  She does enjoy going quite a bit (and watching them on TV...she doesn't like baseball or football, but has definitely taken to Devils hockey).  

My wife (who likes going to sporting events but doesn't enjoy watching otherwise) got a huge kick out of how young both Hischier and Bratt looked.  She said "OMG, how is that kid going to play with all of those men?!"  Even her untrained eye saw how talented Nico is...she was very impressed with him.  

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Went with my wife and daughter (she turned 9 in August), and the only downer was that, for some reason, from about the middle of the second period on, my daughter kind of crashed hard...was kinda weird because she didn't eat a lot of sugary stuff or any crap prior (we don't let her eat too much of that stuff anyway, especially since daddy's a Type 2 diabetic)...I asked her if she was feeling sick, but she said no, just very tired.  Finally she said that being at the hockey game without being able to see the sun (while in her seat) made it feel like nighttime to her, as that's when she's usually watching the Devils.  I'm taking her again on 10/28...hoping she's feeling a bit more energetic for that one.  She does enjoy going quite a bit (and watching them on TV...she doesn't like baseball or football, but has definitely taken to Devils hockey).  

My wife (who likes going to sporting events but doesn't enjoy watching otherwise) got a huge kick out of how young both Hischier and Bratt looked.  She said "OMG, how is that kid going to play with all of those men?!"  Even her untrained eye saw how talented Nico is...she was very impressed with him.  

Not to be a fvcking creep but one of the things I was thinking of hearing this on the radio in the car was "damn I hope CR is there with his family after all the sh!tty games his daughter had to see so far." Weird how random nameless, faceless message board strangers poo into your head. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

Not to be a fvcking creep but one of the things I was thinking of hearing this on the radio in the car was "damn I hope CR is there with his family after all the sh!tty games his daughter had to see so far." Weird how random nameless, faceless message board strangers poo into your head. 

She saw the Devils beat the Pens 4-0 once, and when she was still a toddler (during the 2010-11 season), she witnessed a 2-1 OT win over Calgary (she was too young to remember it now)...and I think those are the only in-person wins she's seen. 

Once she got to be old enough to really start comprehending what she's watching, for the most part I've had to explain to her that the team isn't very good at the moment, and that the franchise is working on putting a better product on the ice, but that it will take some time for that to happen.  Last year she asked me quite often as the season wound down with the losses piling up "Daddy, how much longer before they're good?"  I told her that I had no stinkin' idea, but that we would have to be patient.

It's only been preseason and one regular season game, and there's still weak spots in the lineup, but for the first time in her Devils fandom, she's actually seeing what ENTERTAINING Devils hockey can look like.  They're making it a lot easier for me to sell her on watching and going to more games...she's been a willing participant to date, but when they've played so much fugly hockey in recent seasons, it's not hard to see why it's not easy for her to sit through that crap...hell, it was brutal for all of us.  I'm sure the owners took one look at the game and the crowd and thought "Wow, this is just fvcking beautiful!"  And it was.  And I hope this team can continue to be so much fun to watch as my daughter is entering a more "aware" phase of her life...where the concept of a competitive and exciting Devils team isn't something she hears about through stories about Devils teams that mostly did their thing well before she was born. 

And on another note, could've done without the "Rangers suck Flyers swallow!" crap right behind me (only a matter of time before she asks what that means), but like I've said, the world is what it is and I don't expect it to change or sanitize itself because my daughter happens to be around.  Didn't take away from what was otherwise a great experience.

• Like 1

What an awesome time yesterday.

Nico... man is he going to be fun to watch... absolutely loved the toe drag coming back into the defensive zone to bide time for the line change, made the clean pass to get himself the change. Loved that he was the first one to go after fvckboi Johnson.

Really, I had so few things to bitch about last night, even the freaking You Suck chant didn't annoy me like it used to. Hmmmm, weird how winning changes things. I will say, will someone push Lord Stabley off the upper deck, please... as much as I was glad he tried to get energy going when we sucked, he'll never be Bauman 2.0.

Gonna miss being at the rock this Renaissance season of this team and I hope to hear the fans coming out huge for them in games other than the opener and the Rags.

Let's go Devils!!!

• Like 3