Taylor Hall Questions

EdgeControl

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 5:15 PM, Marshall said:

I'm all for being fiscally conservative with the cap and all, but....If you don't go 8 for these guys, they're not staying. If they're not staying you're never winning anything. And no guy you want in free agency is coming here if you offer 6, max. So you're gonna end up a franchise that's half-assing it and never seeing the competitive window open. Either be all in or all out, no half measures. 

True.  To be clear, I realize the trend nowadays is the longer contracts, 7-8 years or more to get guys to stay.  I understand that they want to be locked up for long term and ensure themselves a nice steady paycheck.  I kinda meant more in general that the league as a NHL needs to try to find a shift back towards some average-length contracts.  But yeah, since the current market for players seems to be favoring longer term deals, I do agree that the Devils will probably have to offer him that in order to stay competitive and have a shot at re-signing him.

On 12/11/2017 at 5:15 PM, Marshall said:

I'm all for being fiscally conservative with the cap and all, but....If you don't go 8 for these guys, they're not staying. If they're not staying you're never winning anything. And no guy you want in free agency is coming here if you offer 6, max. So you're gonna end up a franchise that's half-assing it and never seeing the competitive window open. Either be all in or all out, no half measures. 

Have to agree with this. If he wants to be here, then Taylor Hall should be a Devil for the rest of his career as far as I'm concerned. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mikepeluso8 said:

It's a contusion! Thank you sweet Baby Jesus Dear Lord in Heaven

Didn't you "guarantee it was bad"?

1 hour ago, moustic said:

Taylor just got a contusion... We are good.

He is day to day... but nothing "too serious"

He missed like 8 games after a knee surgery...my man is harcore, if its just a contusion he'll be back at it next week. 

2 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I believe he also threw himself down the steps as well.

That'd be awful...think of the damage that could do to the stairs.

Was just listening to the All Access Podcast. Sarah Baicker filled in for a (sick) Amanda. She said Hall had some interesting things to say about why he's having a career year. It begins at 5.32 and ends a minute or so later.

Teammates said that last year he was a guy playing in NJ but this year he is a NJ Devil. 

Sarah asked him about it and he said he finally feels like he belongs here & he couldn't imagine playing anywhere else - this is home I'm pretty sure she was paraphrasing but it's nice to hear anyway... :koolaid:

• Like 5

12 hours ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Was just listening to the All Access Podcast. Sarah Baicker filled in for a (sick) Amanda. She said Hall had some interesting things to say about why he's having a career year. It begins at 5.32 and ends a minute or so later.

Teammates said that last year he was a guy playing in NJ but this year he is a NJ Devil. 

Sarah asked him about it and he said he finally feels like he belongs here & he couldn't imagine playing anywhere else - this is home I'm pretty sure she was paraphrasing but it's nice to hear anyway... :koolaid:

I don't buy that to the letter but he's having a great season so far and he's on a team that's not out of it by Xmas so I'm not surprised he's really enjoying it...so far. 

Really glad the Devils are competitive, for Hall and Schneider's sake.  Those two needed this.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Good Hall read from THN: http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/new-jersey-state-of-mind-hall-down-with-the-devils

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many good things in that article but I appreciate that Taylor wants to settle in and get comfortable - hopefully that means he'll want to settle in long term when his contract is up... 

What they didn’t know, however, and what Shero gleaned most from the conversation, is that Hall is a creature of comfort. Some players thrive amid uncertainty and chaos, but Hall isn’t one of them. He’s truly at his best as a player and person when he feels comfortable and secure in his surroundings.

Hall has learned to embrace all of it. “Anything different from New Jersey would feel weird now,” Hall said. “And that’s a good thing.”

Edited by LittleBallofHate
typo
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

Bumping up to add this nice little article from Andrew Gross: https://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/nhl/devils/2018/02/20/new-jersey-nj-devils-taylor-hall-john-hynes-nhl-edmonton-oilers-trade/355885002/

Snippets: 

Credit goes to Hall for the Hart Trophy-worthy way he’s played and for the way he prepared for this season, determined seven NHL seasons without a playoff appearance was enough. And credit goes to coach John Hynes for the relationship he’s forged with his star player.

“Since coming here, John Hynes, he’s probably given me the most accountability than any coach I had in Edmonton,” Hall added on Tuesday. “That’s been really good for me personally. In Edmonton, I didn’t really want to talk to coaches. I didn’t want to go and have dialogue with coaches. I just wanted to play and a lot of guys are like that. I think, here, Hynsie, we talk about a lot of stuff. He listens to what I say. He’s been a good sounding board on a lot of things. I think he’s been a big reason why I’ve been able to have some success.”

Hall said he was not a bad defensive player with the Oilers but has learned better positioning in the defensive zone and when it’s OK for him to cheat a bit for an offensive advantage and “all that comes down to having a good relationship with the coach.”

“Since becoming a Devil, I think I’ve grown a lot as a player, both offensively and defensively,” Hall said. “I’m happy I’m elevating my game at this time of the year but there’s still a lot of games left and I want to make sure I finish strong.

And snippets from Chris Ryan's similar article: http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2018/02/why_taylor_hall_feels_held_more_accountable_with_d.html

"You don't know when it's going to come again. You don't know if injuries are going to plague us next year and we're not going to be able to get back to this spot in a playoff race. So you want to take advantage of it, and I'm trying to do that. I'm trying to have fun, but at the same time, really value how important each shift in these games are."

Further communication helped push Hall to another level on and off the ice to start the 2017-18 season, and Hynes continues to see the same motivated player that showed up for training camp.

"He's a young guy and hopefully help him work on his leadership skills, what it means to be a culture driver, areas on the ice that he needs to get better," Hynes said. "He's a very smart, observant individual. When you have discussions with him, his input and his feedback make a lot of sense. It's concrete. It's not just off-the-cuff ideas.

"So I think he's a really smart, personable kid. He cares a lot. He challenges you as a coach, but he's also always willing to listen and learn. If you give him some things he values too, he's willing to make changes as well."

• Like 2

On 12/13/2017 at 7:24 PM, Daniel said:

I’m guessing 8 years $70 million.   

That seems about right. Could even see 72 mil for 8 years. Anyway, there is no doubt in my mind Hall stays here. He's still young, plays a finesse game, and hasn't been worn off by the playoffs. His game could be effective for a long time. And he seems to love it here. Shero will give him the money he deserves and he'll be the captain.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I think 8/80 is fair by the time he signs his contract. And I would do that in a heartbeat.

No doubt. I think we are used to having sh!t players and some fans are anxious about opening the wallets. Sorry, but it has to be done, it’s very rare (but not impossible) to win championships on a shoestring budget. 

That being said, that’s what Hall is going to get,  they should basically hand him a blank check and let him write his own number.