GDT: Devils vs Jackets 7:00

RunninWithTheDevil

What bothers me about the goaltending is we had to be forced to give Appleby a start when KK got hurt, and he did pretty well against one of the top teams. Now after starting KK more times in a row than he’s ever done (statistically back by zero research, I’m too lazy to type it into google and find out on my phone) we refuse to go to his now defacto backup who may have struggled on other sh!tty teams, but apparently isn’t worthy of being given a chance here.

i’m not trying to imply that KK is the problem, but it’s decisions like this that have me scratching my head lately. As did the Boyle over Zajac at the end of the Flames game. As have a bunch of other calls.

this team is struggling, floundering, call it whatever you want, but it feels like night after night they’re trying the same thing over and over again and it clearly isn’t working. I had the same feeling during the last skid too when they didn’t adjust the simple offensive zone entry and relied entirely on dump and chace that failed for over a period and a half with no adjustments.

these things I put on the coaches and not the players. Maybe I’m wrong, and last night aside I’ve been watching most games, but our ability to adjust to the game has been lacking.

Edited by jagknife
  • Like 1

Just finished the game, what an overall disaster. Everyone sucked last night. Everyone knows I can't stand watching Kinkaid play anymore but the whole team was definitely to blame last night. Kinkaid is never going to step up his game because he just simply doesn't have what it takes. He is what he is but boy am I tired of watching him. I'd rather see literally anyone else in net then him.

I'm really curious to see how their play since 2018 started affected renewals. People can opt out before Wednesday and the dummys in charge raised the ticket prices in some areas quite a bit depending on where you sit and removed some benefits. Looking at most likely no playoffs for 6 straight fvcking seasons and 7 of the past 8 seasons. I can't believe it's going to be that long. I'm renewing but I definitely don't blame people who aren't. 

This ship is sinking fast and I just don't see us recovering unless Cory comes back soon and gets on a hot streak. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Triumph said:

Because he played fine tonight.  The rest of the team was awful.  The Devils have a 3 game losing streak where they haven't played great in any of the games.  Kinkaid hasn't played well either.

Also, Eddie Lack almost certainly sucks.

Accountability?  This is classic fan bullsh!t.  Unless you want guys put on waivers, there's not a whole lot the Devils can do, especially on a night like tonight where just about everyone was some shade of bad.  The Devils' D have to play better than they did tonight - maybe Butcher was okay, but everyone else was bad.  

I hope Lack plays tomorrow and I hope he does well, but he's barely played this year and he hasn't been very good when he has played.

No they actually held players accountable with things like scratches and benching an entire line in game at MSG early in the season and it made everyone better.  During this cycle of death they keep running out the same lineups again and again.  Mueller got to play a few games when they went 11-7 after the Gibbons injury, played well then got benched for inferior defensemen.  Santini got forcefed first pairing time then got benched and demoted while his replacement gets to play in the role he should have been tried in - third pairing/PK minutes.  Though I don't particularly care for Hayes at least they should start rotating him and Stafford, or played Quenneville for Stafford earlier.  Or bring Lappin up, something to shuffle the deck up front.  Kinkaid's started six straight games with diminishing returns.  Our 2009 season would never have gotten off the ground if Brent Sutter defaulted into playing the backup just because, the way Hynes has, the way Pete did in 2013 when he left in Hedberg to die.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

When this team got off to such a flying start, I was most worried about Schneider either not playing his best or getting hurt, or the kids hitting the wall.  Unfortunately, both have happened, and like you've stated, the Devils have some guys hurt too.  And no one has been able to step up to continue the "from out of nowhere" scoring that first Gibbons and then Boyle provided. 

Agree in that fans pull out the "gutless" card too easily (along with "the coach is an idiot").  Right now the team just isn't good, especially with the goaltending.  I get the screaming for Lack at this point, but the only reason that's happening is because he's not KK.  We've been over it; Lack's numbers over the past three seasons (including this one) are pretty piss poor...and in limited duty this season were even worse.  It's just like a backup QB situation in the NFL...everyone is sick of the starter and screams for the backup, then the backup plays a couple of games and we see why the coaching staff was so hesitant to give him a shot.  I would love it if Lack surprised the sh!t out of all of us and somehow went on a little roll, but nothing suggests that it will happen.  As far the goaltending goes, sadly Hynes' hands are pretty well tied...there just isn't anyone within the organization this season who can fill in capably when Schneider gets hurt.  And with so many kids in effect having "graduated early" to the big club, there isn't anyone at Bingo able to make up for injuries or tired youth. 

Up until last night, I was still very hopeful that the Devils could make the playoffs...I'd have to downgrade that to semi-hopeful.  I just don't see how this team can overcome their goaltending and injury/kids wearing down issues, especially with a rough schedule coming up.  Hopefully Schneider can come back before it's too late.  Or that Shero can somehow pull off a miracle deal where he brings in a goalie better than the rest of the not-Cory crowd...but he's not going to overpay to do it, and as this was never supposed to be a "Cup or Bust" season, I can't blame him on that count.

Mostly agreed. I think most people here couldn't care less if Lack never plays as long as Shero and Hynes figure something out to replace KK if Cory is going to be out for extended time.Yeah there aren't a lot of ways to get a serious upgrade in net, but you know what they say about the definition of insanity...

• Like 2

Just now, Neb00rs said:

Mostly agreed. I think most people here couldn't care less if Lack never plays as long as Shero and Hynes figure something out to replace KK if Cory is going to be out for extended time.Yeah there aren't a lot of ways to get a serious upgrade in net, but you know what they say about the definition of insanity...

If the “Tough team/Tough building” comments start flowing, I may go postal

10 hours ago, Triumph said:

Because he played fine tonight.  The rest of the team was awful.  The Devils have a 3 game losing streak where they haven't played great in any of the games.  Kinkaid hasn't played well either.

Also, Eddie Lack almost certainly sucks.

Okay, so we should look at this game in a vacuum and say, "Well, he let in 6 goals, but not all of them were stoppable or that easy to stop, so let's not talk about him"? Why? The only reason people are talking about him because his crap showing yesterday was the climax of a string of poor play by him; not because of ONLY how he played last night. No one here is defending the way this team has played the last three games. I actually don't really see a single person over exaggerating KK's part in the losing streak. It almost seems like you almost agree with everyone here as to the extent of Keith's responsibility in this mess, but your opinion differs as to what we should be posting about.

1 minute ago, Neb00rs said:

Well, they did announce they would be sellers at the deadline so I'm not too worried. But if they string a few together and we (and others) lose a few more, I'd hate to see them change their minds. 

but again you need to be realistic, there's no point making the playoffs "just to make the playoffs" if you're on the way down with no chance of winning the cup with your group and sacrificing the future letting your assets getting old. Lou did exactly that and we know where it led us. 

So for their own good they really need to rebuild

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

but again you need to be realistic, there's no point making the playoffs "just to make the playoffs" if you're on the way down with no chance of winning the cup with your group and sacrificing the future letting your assets getting old. Lou did exactly that and we know where it led us. 

So for their own good they really need to rebuild

I mean, like I said, I'm not to worried. They seem set on rebuilding. When you write a letter to the fans, it's probably THAT serious.

28 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

No they actually held players accountable with things like scratches and benching an entire line in game at MSG early in the season and it made everyone better.  During this cycle of death they keep running out the same lineups again and again.  Mueller got to play a few games when they went 11-7 after the Gibbons injury, played well then got benched for inferior defensemen.  Santini got forcefed first pairing time then got benched and demoted while his replacement gets to play in the role he should have been tried in - third pairing/PK minutes.  Though I don't particularly care for Hayes at least they should start rotating him and Stafford, or played Quenneville for Stafford earlier.  Or bring Lappin up, something to shuffle the deck up front.  Kinkaid's started six straight games with diminishing returns.  Our 2009 season would never have gotten off the ground if Brent Sutter defaulted into playing the backup just because, the way Hynes has, the way Pete did in 2013 when he left in Hedberg to die.

I don't think Mueller played well, but we disagree.  I certainly don't think Mueller on the right side is better than Lovejoy.  Santini was tried in the role that Lovejoy presently has, albeit briefly, and it didn't go well either.  Hayes is bad.  Quenneville is not a right wing.  If they want to bring Lappin up, which is actually a move I agree with, they have to waive one of Hayes or Stafford.  Switching Lappin for Stafford is a deck-chair re-arrangement - how many more wins do you think the Devils have with a different 4th line RW?  I'd like to see it, but am not surprised I haven't.

Also early in the season they scratched Severson and Zacha for garbage players like Santini and Hayes.  While those guys had a bad night last night, they've been some of the Devils' best players recently.  It's a lot easier to scratch one guy if he's the guy sticking out.  I wouldn't mind Moore sitting for Mueller though.

Weekes and Clemmensen ended 2008-09 with the same save percentage.  Actually, Weekes's was slightly higher.  So this is a narrative that's being pushed, that Clemmensen saved the Devils season, but Weekes was fine and Clemmer was fine.

17 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Okay, so we should look at this game in a vacuum and say, "Well, he let in 6 goals, but not all of them were stoppable or that easy to stop, so let's not talk about him"? Why? The only reason people are talking about him because his crap showing yesterday was the climax of a string of poor play by him; not because of ONLY how he played last night. No one here is defending the way this team has played the last three games. I actually don't really see a single person over exaggerating KK's part in the losing streak. It almost seems like you almost agree with everyone here as to the extent of Keith's responsibility in this mess, but your opinion differs as to what we should be posting about.

It's just the same old bullsh!t.  Kinkaid's not playing well AND the team isn't playing well, but most of the hate I see directed towards Kinkaid.  Should he have stopped Duchene's backhand?  Yes.  Should Duchene have been left alone by Moore?  No.  Should he have played Gaudreau's backhand better?  Yes.  Should Gaudreau have been walking in alone on him?  No.  

3 minutes ago, Triumph said:

It's just the same old bullsh!t.  Kinkaid's not playing well AND the team isn't playing well, but most of the hate I see directed towards Kinkaid.  Should he have stopped Duchene's backhand?  Yes.  Should Duchene have been left alone by Moore?  No.  Should he have played Gaudreau's backhand better?  Yes.  Should Gaudreau have been walking in alone on him?  No.  

I mean we're [all] on the same page but c'mon you know it's a lot harder to point the finger to a single player over the goaltender. I'd feel worse for Kinkaid if he didn't have a bottom of the league save percentage. Yes he's the focus of everyone's animosity right now, and it's hard to defend him. It's not that he has let in beach balls for the most part (though he has), it's that he has GOT to step up, make a save, and keep us in it sometimes...I'm sorry, but that's what you expect of your goaltender back up or not. Of course, a lot of our players not named Taylor Hall need to be called out. If we had ready and able players waiting in the minors or on the bench, I'd probably be calling for some heads there too, but we just don't. For awhile Andy Greene was the focal point of everyone's hate, for another, it was Travis Zajac. Now it's KK's turn when the context of recent play has found the time most appropriate.

5 hours ago, Aitchmack said:

Totally agree with what Munich & CR76 have said. The offence outperformed at the beginning of the season and the kids are struggling now and injuries have taken their toll. I think Hynes needs to split Bratt & Nico up for moment. Both for their and the teams sakes. 

Defensively they got away with so much at the beginning of the season. There were plenty of turnovers in front of the net and plenty of passes from behind the net through the slot that the opposition never capitalized on. The D aren't making those mistakes nearly as much now but the puck isn't spending anywhere near as much time in the offensive zone as it was so the shot totals just seem to be getting higher. I know I'll probably get crucified for saying this, but I think Severson, Moore and yes even Lovejoy are playing ok. Vatanen is playing well most of the time (he was awful last night though) and Greene has continued to slump.

Goal tending has been a real lottery this season. You never know which Schneider is going to turn up and KK has just proved himself to be what he is. A backup that's ok for relief and occasional starts to give your #1 a rest. Lack will show himself to be the same I suspect. When the team is primed to take a real tilt at the cup you'd expect us to upgrade the backup position. 

I also think that other teams didn't have a clue about Nico or Bratt so were pretty unprepared for them. By now every team has played against them, they've watched video of them, they've got scouting reports on them and they've got game plan for them. I've noticed that Nico gets roughed up at every opportunity now so teams must think that's putting him off his game. Haynes & co need to come up with an answer for that.

Probably true for Bratt early on, but Nico wasn’t catching anyone by surprise after being drafted 1OA. Sure, they have more tape on him now, but teams were game planning around #13 from the start.