GDT: Carolina @ Devils 7:00 PM

MadDog2020

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

Well i know all of that and agree with you. And for the record i don't hate stats, they can be really useful. I hate how some people are using them, it's quite different. 

Most people know that stats are flawed as every single metric in them is different than the other and that the eye test can be flawed cause you get emotionally invested and you can miss things by not paying attention 100%. You kind of got to mix both to get the real picture.

But when i see Tri coming in telling someone that what he saw during the game was wrong because "these stats say so". That's putting 100% stats above the eye test. There's no mix there. Plus it's a very small sample and we know those stats are usually.

And also with stats you always got to nitpick which one you want.

Like again Tri saying that Kovalchuk wasn't even a good player for us "cause he was not driving the play based on these stats" Yet he's top 3 in points per game as a Devils player. And i mean lol We ALL SAW Kovy taking over games completely, carrying the team on his back during that insane run and many people had him getting the Conn Smyth if we would have won the cup. He was also doing a lot that was not always showing on the stats sheets. But yeah, he wasn't good at all, he wasn't driving the play. lol Again, that's letting the stats 100% infect your views.

I cited zero stats when I said the Devils didn't dominate this game.  By my eyes, the Devils did not dominate this game.  The stats back me up on that, which is nice to see.  Basically everyone else who replied in the thread has also said that they didn't think the Devils dominated.  The Canes mostly packed it in once the score got to 5-2, but the game was very closely played until that point, it's just that Darling didn't make a stop.

If all you have to go on is the eyes, you're just talking past each other.  Marty says the Devils dominated.  I say they didn't.  Welp, guess we just disagree.  And Marshall is also correct that single games aren't really the way to judge this.

re: the Nico shot... great shot and I'm glad he scored, but it wasn't as beautiful a goal as he sniped past Neuvirth on Tuesday... it was essentially identical to the Konecny goal on Kinkaid that we all flipped out over and that Kinkaid himself admitted he fvcked up on. Pretty sure Darling would want that one back. However, sometimes that's how it goes when you have an elite talent bearing down on you and they let it loose. May have fooled him a bit. 

in the end, Nico is the GOAT so IDGAF how it went in. 

Seriously though, on what planet did they get off thinking they could get away with starting Darling in this game? He's been ass all year, the only reason they're sticking around in this is Ward, and then they put Darling against us.

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I hate almost everything MB says.  I thought that was a nice shot by Nico there...he didn't really tip his hand as to what he was going to do (pass or shoot), and sometimes guys just do enough to keep the goalie guessing.  Nico isn't going to score in that situation 100% of the time, but the MBs of the world don't seem to realize that NHL goalies aren't necessarily going to stop "stoppable" shots 100% of the time either.  EVERY goalie gives up some questionable goals throughout the course of the season.  Not every goal comes on some killer tic-tac-toe kind of play or off a rocket.  But Nico's goal wasn't some friggin' softie, that's for sure. 

??????  Isn't that what MB is saying also?

1 minute ago, Steven M. said:

re: the Nico shot... great shot and I'm glad he scored, but it wasn't as beautiful a goal as he sniped past Neuvirth on Tuesday... it was essentially identical to the Konecny goal on Kinkaid that we all flipped out over and that Kinkaid himself admitted he fvcked up on. Pretty sure Darling would want that one back. However, sometimes that's how it goes when you have an elite talent bearing down on you and they let it loose. May have fooled him a bit. 

Seriously though, on what planet did they get off thinking they could get away with starting Darling in this game? He's been ass all year, the only reason they're sticking around in this is Ward, and then they put Darling against us.

they simply looked at the last 25 games where a backup goalie played against us!!!!:P

Edited by EdgeControl

11 minutes ago, Steven M. said:

They play the Islanders tonight, and apparently Ward has a great record against the Islanders, or so said Cangelosi last night.  Can't start Ward all 82 games.

4 minutes ago, Triumph said:

They play the Islanders tonight, and apparently Ward has a great record against the Islanders, or so said Cangelosi last night.  Can't start Ward all 82 games.

I suppose they're more worried about the Isles dumping 5 on them than the Devils but you'd think the game with the team 1 point ahead of you would be priority. 

I suppose they're more worried about the Isles dumping 5 on them than the Devils but you'd think the game with the team 1 point ahead of you would be priority. 

Sadly, I highly doubt they make the same mistake for next game.... No way they don't play Ward on Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

Sadly, I highly doubt they make the same mistake for next game.... No way they don't play Ward on Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not worried about that. I'm more worried about our defense and goaltending being able to hold up than I am about scoring goals on teams. 

• Like 1

Great game and although Kinky makes me nervous he played well, But OMG was the 4th line bad!! Having Hayes and Stafford on the same line is not what I call a good match, I felt sorry for Coleman he deserves better line mates!!!

Hopefully at least Boyle is ready for Saturday, and can we please finally give up on this experiment Hayes he is not worth even riding the bench! 

1 hour ago, EdgeControl said:

??????  Isn't that what MB is saying also?

they simply looked at the last 25 games where a backup goalie played against us!!!!:P

MB = Mike Brown, not Marty is the Best

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Steven M. said:

RZI1foqehDSq3Vz_LPaEV_hqt7nHHnd9HdFKwb7T

For those of you who don't use reddit. A fan sitting behind the Carolina bench snapped a pic of their notes. "They're sailing through us in the NZ" :lol:

That's hilarious.  So is the Kinkaid Pesce buddies thing.

And is that Stempniak who he's behind?  Also funny. 

12 hours ago, Mike Brown said:

A couple of things here.  Scott Darling let in two bad goals.  Severson's and Nico's goals were both shots an NHL goalie should stop.  Also, the Devils did in fact outplay the Canes in the first 2 periods.  However, in the 3rd due to the fact the Canes were trailing going into the 3rd, they had no choice but to really pick up their play and be aggressive on the puck.  So your eyes didn't deceive you.

POSSESSION THROUGH 2 PERIODS

• ES CF: 30 to 22
  • ES FF: 24 to 17
  • ES SF: 18 to 13
  • ES SCF: 12 to 6
  • ES HDCF: 7 to 2
  • All CF: 30 to 32
  • All FF: 24 to 22
  • All SF: 18 to 17
  • All SCF: 12 to 10
  • All HDCF: 7 to 3

Also don't understand why you don't post the score adjusted numbers.

1 hour ago, Marshall said:

Also don't understand why you don't post the score adjusted numbers.

3 minutes ago, Mike Brown said:

Because they're overrated.

You know what stat is accurate? 5-2 final score. We win, motherfvckers. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

MB = Mike Brown, not Marty is the Best

in what kind of sick and twisted world do we live in that MB stands for Mike Brown and not Martin Brodeur on a New Jersey Devils forum haha

initials should be numbers... some should be retired and not allowed to use anymore :P

I'm way late to this, looks like I missed a fun win. Maybe he made some nice saves but from the highlights it looks like Darling had a pretty bad night as there were some questionable ones going in, poor angles playing the shooter leaving net far post on Severson and Nico goal, botching a coverup and Palms goal went through him. Hopefully they keep this rolling this weekend.