New MSG Devils host

mikemarc1

9 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

While I agree with you, it's pretty obvious at this stage that it's lost on us. We're not the target audience of what they're trying to do with that arm of their social/media engagement unfortunately, because apparently a lot of people like it and it's working very well, so more power to her. Her likes/retweets/views are sky-high, so she's doing something right, even if some of us can't stand it lol.

I'm glad their digital and social media strategy is working and engaging fans (and bringing in new younger fans), and her being a part of that is great, even if it's not my cup of tea. That being said, glad we have a new face on the MSG broadcasts!

For the bolded part, I think it is less the quality and more that she is basically the only beat person the Devils have left to report breaking news.  Chris Ryan is usually hours behind and Abbey couldn't be bothered to be taken away from reporting about the Mets or anything else but the Devils it seems.  Who else is left really?

7 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

If it does, then that demographic is stupid.  I don't know how else to frame it more gentle.  If that demographic feels that they are closer to the team because Amanda likes to talk about what she ate for lunch while waiting at the airport then so be it as stupid as I find it.  However, I would think most fans would want to get closer to the team by knowing the players and their lives.

To her (and the demographic's) defense, that is what she's bringing to the table. The amount of content she churns out on the daily is a ton and plenty good that comes with some of the "annoying" things we're mentioning. That our first instinct (mine included, guilty as charged) is to reference Chere/Gulitti as a benchmark shows that we're out of touch. Their publications/newspapers have been largely decimated since. By contrast, Stein is someone on the Devils' actual payroll to give us those flashes of short (but plentiful) content on Instagram stories, Twitter, etc... Even if it's not my cup of tea at times, I can't deny the value of what she brings to the table; regardless of some of the annoying things we're pointing out, it seems to be working.

Edited by DJ Eco

25 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

For the bolded part, I think it is less the quality and more that she is basically the only beat person the Devils have left to report breaking news.  Chris Ryan is usually hours behind and Abbey couldn't be bothered to be taken away from reporting about the Mets or anything else but the Devils it seems.  Who else is left really?

My guess is even the Devils were surprised at how quickly the media landscape changed in just 3-4 years. They had to fill that void somehow, and where do you start? You don't want to hire some credentialed veteran reporter who simply reports the facts; while some of us would love that, he wouldn't really push the brand in a meaningful way and should probably be on the local media's onus to fit into their payroll. They placed their bets on going a more millennial route with their content, a demographic we weren't doing well trying to engage (other than the 2012 playoff run through sheer success/bandwagon effect), and I guess Stein fit the mold well. I can't argue much with some of the decisions they've made on the marketing front last couple years, or the engagement she personally garners on social media. Sometimes I don't get it (when she's super annoying), but hey, she's giving the people content and keeping fans engaged. However, I've just respectfully unfollowed her on Instagram, as she's not for me.

It's kind of a "don't hate the player, hate the game" scenario. The type of media coverage we'd prefer is unfortunately out of business, a dinosaur. I'll take the Chris/Abbey/Todd situation, some teams aren't lucky enough to even have that level of coverage.

Edited by DJ Eco
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

To her (and the demographic's) defense, that is what she's bringing to the table. The amount of content she churns out on the daily is a ton and plenty good that comes with some of the "annoying" things we're mentioning. That our first instinct (mine included, guilty as charged) is to reference Chere/Gulitti as a benchmark shows that we're out of touch. Their publications/newspapers have been largely decimated since. By contrast, Stein is someone on the Devils' actual payroll to give us those flashes of short (but plentiful) content on Instagram stories, Twitter, etc... Even if it's not my cup of tea at times, I can't deny the value of what she brings to the table; regardless of some of the annoying things we're pointing out, it seems to be working.

This is a quantity over quality debate now.  What sort of content is she bringing.  Just last week her entire IG story one day, which was about 10-20 separate pictures/videos, was of her and a co-worker literally driving up to Buffalo for the prospect challenge.  What does that add?  What insight am I seeing that I wouldn't have already assumed.  I guess it answered the question that the Devils didn't buy them plane tickets and instead made them drive 7 hours up there, but that wasn't exactly a burning question (at least to me, and if it was to others, then I don't know what to say).

Also newspapers/publications have been decimated simply because 1) the quality of the reporting where speculation is mixed in with facts and 2) why pay when there are tons of free outlets to get reporting on the same news.  They were not put out of business because they were not allowing their reporters to express themselves on social media.

12 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

My guess is even the Devils were surprised at how quickly the media landscape changed in just 3-4 years. They had to fill that void somehow, and where do you start? You don't want to hire some credentialed veteran reporter who simply reports the facts; while some of us would love that, he wouldn't really push the brand in a meaningful way and should probably be on the local media's onus to fit into their payroll. They placed their bets on going a more millennial route with their content, a demographic we weren't doing well trying to engage (other than the 2012 playoff run through sheer success/bandwagon effect), and I guess Stein fit the mold well. I can't argue much with some of the decisions they've made on the marketing front last couple years, or the engagement she personally garners on social media. Sometimes I don't get it (when she's super annoying), but hey, she's giving the people content and keeping fans engaged. However, I've just respectfully unfollowed her on Instagram, as she's not for me.

It's kind of a "don't hate the player, hate the game" scenario. The type of media coverage we'd prefer is unfortunately out of business, a dinosaur. I'll take the Chris/Abbey/Todd situation, some teams aren't lucky enough to even have that level of coverage.

I am 34 and I consider myself to be closer to Generation X in terms of my views rather than Millennial which is what I am told I belong in due to my birth year.  Is the bolded really what millennials are looking for in reporting?  They want to see road trips, shoe shopping and complaints against men rather than reporting about the players, even the players personal lives?

If that is the case, then I guess I am a dinosaur.  Excuse me while I yell at a cloud.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Personally I don't feel like it's an age thing, more of a time thing for me but I simply feel like I don't need more content, between attending every home game and watching the pre and post show stuff and listening to the post radio show on the way home and then watching everything for away games on TV and then reading stuff on here and hf I don't really want nor need more content. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

45 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I am 34 and I consider myself to be closer to Generation X in terms of my views rather than Millennial which is what I am told I belong in due to my birth year.  Is the bolded really what millennials are looking for in reporting?  They want to see road trips, shoe shopping and complaints against men rather than reporting about the players, even the players personal lives?

If that is the case, then I guess I am a dinosaur.  Excuse me while I yell at a cloud.

It's not rather than, it's in addition to.  I think that's part of the shtick.

I’ve said it before...Amanda’s Social media accounts are just that...they are HER social media accounts. They aren’t run by the Devils. It’s not even like it’s her “work account”. Like most of you young people, she talks about her personal sh!t on there. She makes no secret of that.

Whether or not anyone else likes it is irrelevant. It’s not like you’re picking up a newspaper, you’re looking at a young girl’s Twitter. Comparing her with someone who covered the team with the Bergen Record or New York Post is like comparing apples and oranges. It’s not the same thing and it will never be the same. 

Is it “unprofessional”? No, not in today’s world. It’s likely that she was hired in part because she can relate to the younger audience via social media. And lots of people love seeing into other people’s lives, duh, that’s what social media is based on. 

If you don’t like it, frankly there’s plenty of other places to look.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’ve said it before...Amanda’s Social media accounts are just that...they are HER social media accounts. They aren’t run by the Devils. It’s not even like it’s her “work account”. Like most of you young people, she talks about her personal sh!t on there. She makes no secret of that.

Whether or not anyone else likes it is irrelevant. It’s not like you’re picking up a newspaper, you’re looking at a young girl’s Twitter. Comparing her with someone who covered the team with the Bergen Record or New York Post is like comparing apples and oranges. It’s not the same thing and it will never be the same. 

Is it “unprofessional”? No, not in today’s world. It’s likely that she was hired in part because she can relate to the younger audience via social media. And lots of people love seeing into other people’s lives, duh, that’s what social media is based on. 

If you don’t like it, frankly there’s plenty of other places to look.

I think part of the problem is there are plenty of people out there who have two accounts: one for personal posts, the other for the professional aspects. IMO, her being a Devils’ employee and also using her social media as her personal one as well is what’s drawing ire and negative feedback.

yes you can easily go follow someone else or block her, but when you’re hired as the Devils social media whatever, I think some people expected that to be the primary coverage, not the personal aspect of it.

My issue with Amanda is more the white knights she draws out, and seems to hold in a higher regard. She has her bickering moments with trolls, as did TG which drove me insane about him, too. I completely unfollowed Sarah, even forgot she was a part of the Devils. Abby I dropped when she did nothing but Mets during the end of June/early July, especially since I was outside the US and needed any and all sports info I couldn’t get otherwise.

literally my 2-cents

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I think part of the problem is there are plenty of people out there who have two accounts: one for personal posts, the other for the professional aspects. IMO, her being a Devils’ employee and also using her social media as her personal one as well is what’s drawing ire and negative feedback.

yes you can easily go follow someone else or block her, but when you’re hired as the Devils social media whatever, I think some people expected that to be the primary coverage, not the personal aspect of it.

My issue with Amanda is more the white knights she draws out, and seems to hold in a higher regard. She has her bickering moments with trolls, as did TG which drove me insane about him, too. I completely unfollowed Sarah, even forgot she was a part of the Devils. Abby I dropped when she did nothing but Mets during the end of June/early July, especially since I was outside the US and needed any and all sports info I couldn’t get otherwise.

literally my 2-cents

Her job title is “All Access Host and Beat Reporter” for the Devils. It doesn’t say anything about social media. 

And in fact, she had her Twitter account, the very same Twitter account, at her previous job. 

People may want her account to be the source of “primary coverage”, but at the end of the day, it’s some girl’s Twitter. 

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Her job title is “All Access Host and Beat Reporter” for the Devils. It doesn’t say anything about social media. 

And in fact, she had her Twitter account, the very same Twitter account, at her previous job. 

People may want her account to be the source of “primary coverage”, but at the end of the day, it’s some girl’s Twitter. 

Hey fair enough, it’s just part of the disconnect between what “acceptable” social media is to some and what isn’t. With social media essentially becoming the new newspaper/radio, it’s still an evolving medium that everyone needs to adapt to

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Crisis said:

It's not rather than, it's in addition to.  I think that's part of the shtick.

I mean all you really have to do is scroll past her shoe/personal life/soapbox Tweets and ignore them, it's not a big deal and takes two seconds.  That kind of stuff isn't my cup of tea when it comes to following someone for sports news either but it doesn't bother or offend me the way it does a lot of people here and on HF.  For years people complained that we were in the dark when it came to the players off-ice, now we finally get the curtain pulled back somewhat and people complain on the person involved with doing it.

As far as the new host it's ironic they hired a blond Jersey native that wasn't Julie lol, but I don't know how prestigous a studio job is these days.  So long as she can do basic things she'll be fine.

Edited by NJDevs4978

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I mean all you really have to do is scroll past her shoe/personal life/soapbox Tweets and ignore them, it's not a big deal and takes two seconds. 

Just like a normal person’s Twitter...I mean doesn’t everyone have that friend who posts their plate of food when they go out to eat? B*tch I don’t care about your pasta...

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

So long as she can do basic things she'll be fine.

She looks like she’d wear a puffy vest and enjoy a pumpkin spice latte, you don’t get more basic than that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Just like a normal person’s Twitter...I mean doesn’t everyone have that friend who posts their plate of food when they go out to eat? B*tch I don’t care about your pasta...

She looks like she’d wear a puffy vest and enjoy a pumpkin spice latte, you don’t get more basic than that.

26D7520D-DB70-4CF3-8957-DB9336CDB51F.jpeg

• Haha 7

Just to weigh-in.. I definitely align less with millennials than most 28 year olds.  I'm with the "keep it Devils-related" crowd.  I don't care about Amanda's personal life - not trying to sound mean, but if Amanda didn't work for the Devils I wouldn't pay attention to her tweets.

That said, I totally get why the Devils went this route.  People my age and younger eat this sh!t up for some reason - I don't get it.  But if it works towards the greater good (i.e. increases the Devils fan base and popularity) then so be it.

• Like 3

On 9/15/2018 at 6:25 PM, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I unfollowed her earlier in the season, but now Amanda is RTing Mastracco. Has to be the worst we have had in my opinion. Still following both TG and AG, makes me realise how lucky we were. 

Screenshot_20180915-231952.png

I unfollowed her around the time of the draft.  Abbey is just flat out awful.  How the Record doesn't see that she couldn't care less about the Devils is beyond me.  Hell, IIRC, there was a tweet she sent out late last season where she was annoyed that the Devils games were taking her away from the Mets.  I know at least one other person who remembers the same thing.  If we are remembering correctly, then that is awful.

• Like 2

On 9/15/2018 at 6:25 PM, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I unfollowed her earlier in the season, but now Amanda is RTing Mastracco. Has to be the worst we have had in my opinion. Still following both TG and AG, makes me realise how lucky we were. 

Screenshot_20180915-231952.png

Yeah that's kind of grating, antagonistic, and unprofessional. I don't know why this is the new normal... Laying "ground rules" for your coverage of a team this year? Get over yourself (and I haven't had an issue with Abbey the way some others have, I think she's okay).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

Yeah that's kind of grating, antagonistic, and unprofessional. I don't know why this is the new normal... Laying "ground rules" for your coverage of a team this year? Get over yourself (and I haven't had an issue with Abbey the way some others have, I think she's okay).

Yeah this one is so cringey.  Sounds like she has a hard time dealing with the douches.

Email the record, tweet at them as well that you want better coverage of the team. If enough people actually contact them about and do it respectfully they might actually acknowledge it. 

Personally I don't care about any of the Twitter coverage and I don't follow either of them but from what I see everyone post here both Abbey and Amanda seem ridiculously annoying.