2019 NHL Draft Thread

CommonDreads

4 hours ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

We are still so far away from the amount of,  and quality of, picks Ottawa has in their cupboard

Well yeah but we also didn’t just trade away the equivalant of Taylor Hall, Palmieri and Scott Niedermayer for futures.  

BTW, great username.   Didn’t realize what it was until I saw a street of the same name near Stockton university a while back and looked it up since I assumed they weren’t naming streets after njdevs.com users 

Edited by Lateralous

13 hours ago, NLinfante said:

According to Masisak of the athletic, if Boston loses to CBJ, the Devils would have picks #1, #34, #54 and #55. Options range from:

1. Taking 4 of the top 55 prospects in one draft class

2. Trading one or two picks for a current NHl'er

3. Trading two picks to move up into the mid-late first round after picking at #1

Not too shabby.

Also, maybe Ray is thinking of offer sheeting someone in which case it would be good to just use all four picks and load up before we go without a first for a few years 

FWIW, Julie doesn't think Ray's going to do any offer sheeting. Her AMA was a decent read so I'm going to put it here in case anyone feels like checking it out (it's short): 

https://www.reddit.com/r/devils/comments/bgzqct/ama_with_julie_robenhymer_thursday_at_1pm/?sort=qa

I don't see Shero signing an offer sheet any time soon. He pounces on value-adding opportunities. Consider all the veteran PTOs that gets signed during camp or quality players claimed off waivers mid-season or ridiculously smart trades. Plus, he values building a team through the drafting quality prospects far too much to give them away for someone he will likely be overpaying to sign. It just doesn't fit his MO.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Lateralous said:

Well yeah but we also didn’t just trade away the equivalant of Taylor Hall, Palmieri and Scott Niedermayer for futures.  

BTW, great username.   Didn’t realize what it was until I saw a street of the same name near Stockton university a while back and looked it up since I assumed they weren’t naming streets after njdevs.com users 

That is true, just pointing on volume of picks and lots of 1 and 2's

And thanks, my college but way back when it was just a college.  I also spelled Jimmie wrong, lol.  Never got around to changing it. 

Go Ospreys

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

That is great to hear.  I meant amount and where. Lots of 1st's and 2nd's

I mean, in even a typical draft year, the number one pick is worth more than another team's entire draft if the first you're getting is below 15 and there are less than two second rounders. 

In theory, the Devils could trade number one for Colorado's entire draft, which includes four overall another first that might be around 20 and two third round picks and you would say it's even value, or close to it.

6 hours ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

That is true, just pointing on volume of picks and lots of 1 and 2's

And thanks, my college but way back when it was just a college.  I also spelled Jimmie wrong, lol.  Never got around to changing it. 

Go Ospreys

That’s alright, my username is a tool album which I also misspelled.  It’s doubly bad since they have a song and an album with the same name but spelled differently and I didn’t hit either one.   

Edited by Lateralous
  • Haha 3

On 4/26/2019 at 5:04 PM, Daniel said:

I mean, in even a typical draft year, the number one pick is worth more than another team's entire draft if the first you're getting is below 15 and there are less than two second rounders. 

In theory, the Devils could trade number one for Colorado's entire draft, which includes four overall another first that might be around 20 and two third round picks and you would say it's even value, or close to it.

Very possible. 

I know there's a lot of interest in trading up for Caufield, but if there's one guy I would look at trading up to the mid first round for, it would be Zegras. This kid makes so many sneaky plays, and has incredible vision. When I was watching some of those World Juniors games, I kept asking myself who #11 was because there were so many NHL quality plays he was making.  Players like Turcotte, Cozens, and Dach seem to have passed him in many of the rankings. He'll be a steal, IMO.

As far as the Devils' first pick in the second round (or maybe one of the other 2nd rounders), I think Lassi Thomson could be a good target if he's available. Seems like an all around defenseman with some serious offensive upside.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, nessus said:

I know there's a lot of interest in trading up for Caufield, but if there's one guy I would look at trading up to the mid first round for, it would be Zegras. This kid makes so many sneaky plays, and has incredible vision. When I was watching some of those World Juniors games, I kept asking myself who #11 was because there were so many NHL quality plays he was making.  Players like Turcotte, Cozens, and Dach seem to have passed him in many of the rankings. He'll be a steal, IMO.

As far as the Devils' first pick in the second round (or maybe one of the other 2nd rounders), I think Lassi Thomson could be a good target if he's available. Seems like an all around defenseman with some serious offensive upside.

I'd be shocked if Zegras isn't gone my #10, apparently there's some legitimate talk he could be a target for the Hawks at 3rd. Kid reminds me a lot of Elias with how smart of a player and playmaker he is.

2nd Round I'm not getting married to a lot of players just yet because the late 1st/early 2nd range seems very in flux, but I really have my eye on Jamieson Rees after the U18 he had. Love me some Patrik Puistola as well, both of those guys are forwards though. I'm not a big fan of this year's defense crop, but at 34 you could talk me into Mikko Kokkonen or Anttoni Honka.

Edited by CommonDreads
  • Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

Besides the obvious excitement with what NJ is doing this draft, it is also going to be interesting to see where Podkolzin lands given his situation. I wonder who is going to roll the dice. He is obviously top 10, maybe top 5, but sh!t what a gamble and this draft is deep. 

Caufield has also pushed himself into the conversion as a potential top 10 and is prob out of reach now along with Zegras. Really cool to see so many US kids in the top 10 this year.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Released my annual Draft Guide today, as usual, Top 250 rankings with scouting reports, mock drafts, class superlatives, etc:

https://ridingpinehockey.com/2019/06/13/riding-pines-2019-nhl-draft-guide/

Check it out if you're so inclined, I'll likely be releasing some stand alone articles as well that break down some of what's already in the book. Hoping to have the book available on iTunes by tomorrow as well :cheers:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CommonDreads said:

Released my annual Draft Guide today, as usual, Top 250 rankings with scouting reports, mock drafts, class superlatives, etc:

Check it out if you're so inclined, I'll likely be releasing some stand alone articles as well that break down some of what's already in the book. Hoping to have the book available on iTunes by tomorrow as well :cheers:

Thanks for sharing! I was hoping for Hoglander to the Devils at 34, but after reading your assessment, that seems like wishful thinking. There will be some good players available there, regardless.

Just now, nessus said:

Thanks for sharing! I was hoping for Hoglander to the Devils at 34, but after reading your assessment, that seems like wishful thinking. There will be some good players available there, regardless.

Hoglander is my pipe dream for the Devils at 34 (along with Tomasino, who at this point is an even deeper long shot), I think he'll likely be there in the 20's if the Devils are interested in a trade up but I'm a little doubtful he'll make it to the 2nd round. Wouldn't call it impossible though, crazier things have happened, I would have said the same thing about Bode Wilde last year.

1 hour ago, CommonDreads said:

Very well done!

47 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Hoglander is my pipe dream for the Devils at 34 (along with Tomasino, who at this point is an even deeper long shot), I think he'll likely be there in the 20's if the Devils are interested in a trade up but I'm a little doubtful he'll make it to the 2nd round. Wouldn't call it impossible though, crazier things have happened, I would have said the same thing about Bode Wilde last year.

I thought Boqvist was going in the mid-late 20's in 2017, so it certainly could happen!

Also, I really do not want the Rangers taking Seider with their second pick in the first round.