2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

That won’t be a cheap endeavor, either in the contract you’d have to give him, or what you’d have to give up for him.

Yeah I guess you're right but out of curiousity, It would be interesting to know what it would take, regardless....

• Like 1

Did Shero fall asleep at the wheel here or is he not impressed at all by this kid?

I did hear he was battling injuries but still... he wore a bow tie to the draft, that’s the kind of character you can’t pass on.  ;)

That was yesterday so I guess he did go unsigned which is odd to say the least.

I wonder if he gets drafted again?  

Edited by glenwo2

49 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

I wonder how much it would take to get Laine?  

At least 3 names to would not want to give.

He’s a stud RW, young, and an RFA. 

Who’s in the mood for a controversial blockbuster suggestion, assuming the $$ can be worked out:

Hall, Zacha, Vatanen, a 2nd and another pick for Trouba and Laine. 

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Who’s in the mood for a controversial blockbuster suggestion, assuming the $$ can be worked out:

YIKES!    Sad thing is that THAT is what it would take, too.  

HARD PASS for me.

55 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Hall is better than Laine even when you take Laine’s age into account.

5 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Hall is better than Laine even when you take Laine’s age into account.

Says who??

In addition to being younger, he’s still under team control since he’s an RFA. You don’t even know if Hall plans to re-sign here. 

Laine doesn’t have injury issues, and has never not been a 30 goal scorer in his three years. And he’s a right wing. And has size. 

If I offered you Laine for Hall straight up, not knowing if Hall would re-sign here, you wouldn’t take him??

What if July 1 comes and goes, and we go into the season with Hall on a walk year with no extension, still no?

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Says who??

In addition to being younger, he’s still under team control since he’s an RFA. You don’t even know if Hall plans to re-sign here. 

Laine doesn’t have injury issues, and has never not been a 30 goal scorer in his three years. And he’s a right wing. And has size. 

If I offered you Laine for Hall straight up, not knowing if Hall would re-sign here, you wouldn’t take him??

What if July 1 comes and goes, and we go into the season with Hall on a walk year with no extension, still no?

Hall is not ancient and there are relatively little miles on him for how many years he’s played.  Hall is faster, probably stronger and has a more complete game.  Laine can score a lot of goals, but he’s not on the level of Ovechkin, so when he goes on a cold streak it can get pretty ugly.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Hall is not ancient and there are relatively little miles on him for how many years he’s played.  Hall is faster, probably stronger and has a more complete game.  Laine can score a lot of goals, but he’s not on the level of Ovechkin, so when he goes on a cold streak it can get pretty ugly.

I’m not advocating dumping him, but if, as I suggested, he’s not being re-signed anyway, you have to trade him. In that circumstance, you could do a lot worse than Laine. 

• Like 1

Just now, mfitz804 said:

I’m not advocating dumping him, but if, as I suggested, he’s not being re-signed anyway, you have to trade him. In that circumstance, you could do a lot worse than Laine. 

I mean, yeah if Hall says that there is no way he’s staying, getting a return that includes Laine would be amazing.  I don’t think that happens though. 

• Like 2

I don’t think so either. I don’t thing the Jets make that deal either, unless Hall agrees to an extension with them. They aren’t trading Laine for a year of Hall. 

And if Hall signs an 8 year extension, I wouldn’t include him.

I think we’re on the same page. 

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

uh, no thanks. everyones getting crazy with this hall re signing thing. Again, he said he wanted to see what shero did in the off season to improve the team. Guy doesn't want to be a loser anymore and you can't blame him. Let shero do what we imagine he is going to try doing and then give hall some time. Don't expect him to sign the first day he can, however acquiring Hughes now was obviously and in halls eyes a massive step in the right direction so we already have that going

11 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

uh, no thanks. everyones getting crazy with this hall re signing thing. Again, he said he wanted to see what shero did in the off season to improve the team. Guy doesn't want to be a loser anymore and you can't blame him. Let shero do what we imagine he is going to try doing and then give hall some time. Don't expect him to sign the first day he can, however acquiring Hughes now was obviously and in halls eyes a massive step in the right direction so we already have that going

Last year I hoped Shero could do something to make the team better, but knew opportunity was limited. This year I hope the same but there is an abundance of opportunity. I can't imagine Shero not making the most of it regardless of what we see from the outside looking in. I always enjoyed the "In Lou we trust" thing but to be honest I trust Shero's judgement so much more than I trusted Lou's over the last 10 years.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Last year I hoped Shero could do something to make the team better, but knew opportunity was limited. This year I hope the same but there is an abundance of opportunity. I can't imagine Shero not making the most of it regardless of what we see from the outside looking in. I always enjoyed the "In Lou we trust" thing but to be honest I trust Shero's judgement so much more than I trusted Lou's over the last 10 years.

I believe Shero will obviously do everything he can with in reason to improve this team where it needs improving. However the reason we all trust him is because it seems like he obviously has a good handle on things and is not going to just make some off the wall move where he mortgages futures to make improvements for today. Whatever he does it will be done with in reason and in good taste. At the same time, we need to remember that to get you need to give so for those of us hoping to make a decent trade for improvement we should be prepared to be shipping something of worth out the door as well.

• Like 1

That's all very fair and it's good to recognize that last year there was really not that many "good" options to upgrade our team. It can obviously be debated in hindsight. De Haan played on the bottom pairing in Carolina and he's not out for 4-6 months after another surgery on the shoulder (which was a worry before he signed with anyone last summer). The only move i regret Shero didnt do is trade for Skinner. But thats obviously in hindsight

6 hours ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

I believe Shero will obviously do everything he can with in reason to improve this team where it needs improving. However the reason we all trust him is because it seems like he obviously has a good handle on things and is not going to just make some off the wall move where he mortgages futures to make improvements for today. Whatever he does it will be done with in reason and in good taste. At the same time, we need to remember that to get you need to give so for those of us hoping to make a decent trade for improvement we should be prepared to be shipping something of worth out the door as well.

Exactly this. Many fans were mad because he didn't do anything but there was just not much that was worth doing or that he could do. Also when you have a long term plan you gotta stick to it. The reasons fans wanted him to do something absolutely is more selfish than anything else. I mean its understandable but you don't build a championship team by throwing sh!t against the wall and see what sticks, you need to build the team with the right guys. And im very very pleased to see that Shero is keeping an eye on the long term rather than making dumb decisions in the moment. 

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 3

All I wanted was one decent defenseman last summer. I knew our playoff run was suspect and our defense atrocious.

Sure enough, we get eliminated this season  early due to awful defense and atrocious goaltending

Really boggles my mind how Shero did nothing.

This summer, I expect far better.

• Angry 1

12 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

All I wanted was one decent defenseman last summer. I knew our playoff run was suspect and our defense atrocious.

Sure enough, we get eliminated this season  early due to awful defense and atrocious goaltending

Really boggles my mind how Shero did nothing.

This summer, I expect far better.

do you really think De Haan would have put us in the playoffs? he was the only option

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

And he said he wanted to live in Carolina because he and his wife liked the state. He didn't want to stay in this area.

yeah it truly blows my mind when fans go "he did NOTHING" talking about their GM lol like he just sat home playing PS4 with his phone turned off for weeks and didn't look into making any moves. If nothing much happened it's cause nothing could happen or nothing worth happening came up.

7 hours ago, Nicomo said:

We were fvcked the moment Hall went down. 

Yup. We wouldn’t have come close to the playoffs without him the previous season, either. It took a career best, MVP year from Hall to make the playoffs by one point. We didn’t exactly stroll right into the bracket. 

That said, it was (and still is) clear we need some upgrades to compete. 

7 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

yeah it truly blows my mind when fans go "he did NOTHING" talking about their GM lol like he just sat home playing PS4 with his phone turned off for weeks and didn't look into making any moves. If nothing much happened it's cause nothing could happen or nothing worth happening came up.

We’ll never know who he was in on and who he wasn’t. But the only thing I’m 100% sure of is that he didn’t “do nothing”. 

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 1:01 AM, SterioDesign said:

Dave Pagnotta was on NHL Network Radio, just dropping bombs. 

Talk of Patrik Laine not wanting to be in Winnipeg and will explore all options, including any potential offer sheets. 

Mitch Marner wants Auston Matthews money, no less than $10 million. Feels they will settle on a 3-year, $30 million contract.

Doesn’t feel Patrick Marleau is a fit for the Los Angeles Kings, but the Kings still think they are contenders and won’t commit to a rebuild.

The Vancouver Canucks are looking for a big named defenceman not named PK Subban. They feel like Subban has attitude issues.

The Dallas Stars, New York Rangers and New York Islanders will all be in on Erik Karlsson this summer.

The New York Islanders and Los Angeles Kings will be in on Artemi Panarin this summer.

If the Canucks want a defenseman not named Subban, have to think they're considering Karlsson.  To that point, I can't see the Islanders being in on him at all - defense (and goaltending) wasn't the problem for them this post-season.

That's baloney to say that there were no depth defensemen available last summer besides DeHaan.

I'm talking about depth guys here, not a starting top 4 guy.  Anyway, the past is the past and I expect better this summer.

Edit:
I was very happy we didn't sign John Moore to the crazy money that Boston did, and so it plays out that Moore is a healthy scratch for the Bruins this playoffs.

Edited by Rob_Ottawa

He was definitely looking at Carlson and JVR and wanted to extend Maroon.  It’s likely he was in talks with Tampa to take on Callahan and I believe the rumors that he was trying to trade for Karlsson.

But people are right that there’s no A for effort this offseason.   It’s a pretty unique one in which there could be several impact UFAs available, elite players who are explicitly going to test the possibility of an offer sheet and at least two legit top pairing D available at discounts in trades. 

• Like 1