Daniel

2019 Offseason Thread

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

Hall is with Jordan Eberle at game 1 of the NBA Finals.

I like it. 

• Like 3

Wonder what kind of contact Eberle will be looking for? I know Todd Cordell is against the Devils going after him, but he seems like exactly what we need in a top 6 RW. 

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Wonder what kind of contact Eberle will be looking for? I know Todd Cordell is against the Devils going after him, but he seems like exactly what we need in a top 6 RW. 

Plus if it makes Hall happier, even better. I think we need a stud defenseman more, but other than that I don’t really see a downside. 

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I like it. 

I have to think some recruiting could be going on lol.

• Like 2

If you haven’t listened to Rupp’s interview on Spittin Chiclets yet, hurry up and do it.

the highlight of the interview was him on the bus, 22 year old rookie after Game 6 of the cup where Stevens turned Kariya into a mental midget. Rupp says to Scottie “nice hit” and Stevens says “to tell you the truth, I held up right before I hit him.” 

And that, my friends, is why Paul Kariya is still alive today.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I have to think some recruiting could be going on lol.

We can’t just rely on MB3 being available to him, we need to cover all angles, even recruiting his friends lol. 

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Plus if it makes Hall happier, even better. I think we need a stud defenseman more, but other than that I don’t really see a downside. 

Well, you’re probably not getting one of those in FA anyway. At least not without breaking the bank. And other than EK who will even be available? 

Might as well fill out the top 6 though. And hope Severson continues to improve, and Ty Smith is as good as advertised. 

16 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

We can’t just rely on MB3 being available to him, we need to cover all angles, even recruiting his friends lol. 

He can have whatever he wants, wherever he wants, whenever he wants, and whether or not he wants it wait what. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Hall is with Jordan Eberle at game 1 of the NBA Finals.

I wonder if Shero is paying attention?

There have been rumors that Shero has been trying to land Eberle going back to his days in Pittsburgh.

i'm kind of nervous about signing Eberle. Just have a bad feeling about it for wtv reason

You guys don’t want Eberle, you don’t want Skinner...

gotta sign somebody lol

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Nicomo said:

gotta sign somebody lol

Seriously, someone’s gotta play. You can’t just put guys from Binghamton in an NHL lineup and see what happens. 

Oh wait...2018-19 lol. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

He overachieved last year and now he is going to be paid for it. I am with everyone else here but I understand your point-- 7/8M doesn't carry the same weight as when Crosby signed his deal several years ago. The cap has gone up and players at his caliber are getting 11-13m now as opposed to his 8 and change. Skinner is a good player but he is going to get overpaid regardless. Why should we do it when it looks like we are on the right track to build from within? 

All valid points, which I agree with.  To your last question about someone is going to overpay for him and why should we do it, well, not that I ever want to overpay for someone, but in the sense that he could be a player we need if he ends up being productive, that's one reason to do it (in that sense, it's not really looked at as an overpayment if he meets or exceeds expectations), and the other reason to do it is simply because we're at a point where we probably can afford it.  We have a lot of cap space and aren't really carrying much dead weight.  I think it's worth taking the risk (and still of the opinion that it isn't really that much of a "risk" anyway).  

27 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

All valid points, which I agree with.  To your last question about someone is going to overpay for him and why should we do it, well, not that I ever want to overpay for someone, but in the sense that he could be a player we need if he ends up being productive, that's one reason to do it (in that sense, it's not really looked at as an overpayment if he meets or exceeds expectations), and the other reason to do it is simply because we're at a point where we probably can afford it.  We have a lot of cap space and aren't really carrying much dead weight.  I think it's worth taking the risk (and still of the opinion that it isn't really that much of a "risk" anyway).  

I think a Skinner or Eberle fits in well with this team. Are they perfect? No. But 1992 Jagr isn't walking through the door.   

To piggy back off your point about the cap space, we will have even more with Greene coming off next season and Zajac the year after. Neither will make the same money if they even do come back. Schneider will be in the same situation in a few years

• Like 1

11 hours ago, glenwo2 said:

some Zajac love:

Needs 14 points to pass Muller for 3rd all time in Devils history in points
Needs 9 goals to pass Parise for 4th all time in goals and 17 to pass Holik for 3rd
Needs 15 assists to pass Muller for 6th all time and 17 to pass Stevens for 5th
Needs 1 SHG to move into 4th all time

Also 78 GP to reach 1000 GP for his career.  He's reached 80 GP in two out of the last three and in three out of the last six seasons.  Really hope he can stay healthy enough to achieve that during the 2019-20 season. 

Posted (edited)

the way it is sounding, we aren't even going to have a chance to make an offer that skinner will listen to.. plus if what Buffalo is rumored to give him is accurate, I'm not sure we want to get involved for a price that steep anyway. Eberle on the other hand, I think would be a good addition to the right side for us. We could definitely use a 25 goal scoring RW and we are going to have nice talent for him to play with in hischier/hughes. If we can grab Eberle for a reasonable term we have to do it, then try to acquire a Dman in a trade. Going into next season with the additions being Hughes, Eberle, Smith and a top 4 Dman via trade... all of a sudden we have a lot to get excited about.

Edited by 2ELIAS6

7 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

the way it is sounding, we aren't even going to have a chance to make an offer that skinner will listen to.. plus if what Buffalo is rumored to give him is accurate, I'm not sure we want to get involved for a price that steep anyway. Eberle on the other hand, I think would be a good addition to the right side for us. We could definitely use a 25 goal scoring RW and we are going to have nice talent for him to play with in hischier/hughes. If we can grab Eberle for a reasonable term we have to do it, then try to acquire a Dman in a trade. Going into next season with the additions being Hughes, Eberle, Smith and a top 4 Dman via trade... all of a sudden we have a lot to get excited about.

Who you trading to bring back a top 4 D?

11 hours ago, glenwo2 said:

some Zajac love:

Needs 14 points to pass Muller for 3rd all time in Devils history in points
Needs 9 goals to pass Parise for 4th all time in goals and 17 to pass Holik for 3rd
Needs 15 assists to pass Muller for 6th all time and 17 to pass Stevens for 5th
Needs 1 SHG to move into 4th all time

Funny you say that as I got a gamer of his yesterday.

5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Who you trading to bring back a top 4 D?

Im not sure who I would be looking to package (theres a million different scenarios out there already).. but you package something together and use the fact that we have 10 picks in this draft and a ton of cap space to your advantage. Ray has done it before as well all know, he will do it again. 

10 hours ago, Nicomo said:

gotta sign somebody lol

I’d love to sign the Bread man. Not counting on it but wouldn’t rule it out. We offer much better centers for him to play with than the Rags.

15 minutes ago, devlman said:

I’d love to sign the Bread man. Not counting on it but wouldn’t rule it out. We offer much better centers for him to play with than the Rags.

Bright lights brah. Hustle and bustle brah.

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

Bright lights brah. Hustle and bustle brah.

It's fun to make fun of, but it's worked for them consistently for many years. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It's fun to make fun of, but it's worked for them consistently for many years. 

Which makes it even more hilarious that they’ve managed to win only one Cup since the Roosevelt Administration.