Daniel

2019 Offseason Thread

13 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I couldn’t care less about the cap going up. Jeff Skinner isn’t worth that kind of money or term. Better Buffalo than us.

I can see that lol, but it you can't ignore.  It's facts.  If Skinner is an average player in your eyes, then he's going to get an average contract.  8.5M, as it stands today, is close to average.  Crazy as it sounds, but it's true.  We're still a far ways away from baseball and football, but hockey is starting to get a bit high in terms of salaries.  

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I can see that lol, but it you can't ignore.  It's facts.  If Skinner is an average player in your eyes, then he's going to get an average contract.  8.5M, as it stands today, is close to average.  Crazy as it sounds, but it's true.  We're still a far ways away from baseball and football, but hockey is starting to get a bit high in terms of salaries.  

$8.5 for Skinner is an overpayment, in any scenario. Crosby makes $8.7. Think about that for a second. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

$8.5 is for Skinner is an overpayment, in any scenario. Crosby makes $8.7. Think about that for a second. 

Yeah but when did he get his contract, 4 or 5 years ago?  And what was the max individual annual salary then?  10M?  Context man, context lol.

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yeah but when did he get his contract, 4 or 5 years ago?  And what was the max individual annual salary then?  10M?  Context man, context lol.

Context, no context... it’s too much money and I’m glad someone else is making that mistake.

Context, no context... it’s too much money and I’m glad someone else is making that mistake.

If we do sign a notable FA this summer, I am expecting at least $7-9M per which would make him the highest paid player on our team next season.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

If we do sign a notable FA this summer, I am expecting at least $7-9M per which would make him the highest paid player on our team next season.

That’s fine, depending on who it is.... Jeff Skinner for $9 mil? Yeah no thanks. 

Edited by MadDog2020

I feel ya.  What do you have against Skinner though?  Guy's young (just turned 27), has been a 50/60 point player for the last 4 seasons, and, one of my personal favorite things, has been remarkably healthy, only missing 3 games in the last 4 years.  8.5/9M might be too high, but I'd definitely sign him for 7-8.

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I feel ya.  What do you have against Skinner though?  Guy's young (just turned 27), has been a 50/60 point player for the last 4 seasons, and, one of my personal favorite things, has been remarkably healthy, only missing 3 games in the last 4 years.  8.5/9M might be too high, but I'd definitely sign him for 7-8.

He overachieved last year and now he is going to be paid for it. I am with everyone else here but I understand your point-- 7/8M doesn't carry the same weight as when Crosby signed his deal several years ago. The cap has gone up and players at his caliber are getting 11-13m now as opposed to his 8 and change. Skinner is a good player but he is going to get overpaid regardless. Why should we do it when it looks like we are on the right track to build from within? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Skinner can score, but he doesn’t really do anything else. For the kind of money and term we’re talking about, I’d prefer a guy with more substance than 50-60 points per year, who doesn’t bring much else to the table. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

$8.5 for Skinner is an overpayment, in any scenario. Crosby makes $8.7. Think about that for a second. 

Can't really compare anything to Crosby's deal.  It was heavily front loaded 12 year deal although he'll be playing for real money ($3 million a year) for the last three years when he's 36.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Skinner can score, but he doesn’t really do anything else. For the kind of money and term we’re talking about, I’d prefer a guy with more substance than 50-60 points per year, who doesn’t bring much else to the table. 

Yeah I’m not thrilled with the concept that $9m gets you a 50 point guy. We’re about to try to pay Taylor Hall that much, or just a little more. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

That contract has disaster written all over it.  His 40-goal season in some ways was a bit like Clarkson's 30-goal year...for quite a while, damned near EVERYTHING broke right for him last year...he shot 21.6% over his first 44 GP (30 G)...that's damned near TWICE his career shooting% (11.4).  If you get 2014-15, 2015-16, or 2017-18 Skinner for a great big UFA overpayment, you are gonna be PISSED.  He had one of his most prolific and fortuitous years at just the right time...great for him, not so great for the team that gets suckered into thinking there's more where that came from. 

• Like 1

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Yeah I’m not thrilled with the concept that $9m gets you a 50 point guy. We’re about to try to pay Taylor Hall that much, or just a little more. 

The "good" news is that Taylor's injury history might mean his price won't be too too crazy.  Skinner's missed just 8 games over the past 5 seasons...he does have that going for him.  Hall's missed 94 games over the past 5 seasons, by comparison. 

23 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The "good" news is that Taylor's injury history might mean his price won't be too too crazy.  Skinner's missed just 8 games over the past 5 seasons...he does have that going for him.  Hall's missed 94 games over the past 5 seasons, by comparison. 

Does that mean they are “worth” the same money? 

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

A good and reasonably probable result would be Hall getting the Seguin contract without insane bonuses but maybe takes into account tax considerations.  I hold out some hope that he'll be willing to take some kind of discount that allows the team to acquire more talent.  Maybe a lower cap hit in return for the maximum amount of money being paid up front in bonuses.

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Does that mean they are “worth” the same money? 

No, more me hoping that if/when Taylor re-signs, I’m not seeing the final numbers and thinking “Oh man I hope this one doesn’t blow up..”

Paul Fenton is proving to be one of the worst GM’s in all of pro sports.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Bingo. In a tough physical grind 'em out playoff series I'd worry Skinner would get pushed around and vanish. 

Edited by '7'
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

No, more me hoping that if/when Taylor re-signs, I’m not seeing the final numbers and thinking “Oh man I hope this one doesn’t blow up..”

For that to happen he would have to become a bad player pretty quickly, and that’s really unlikely.  Otherwise, there might be issues if Nico and Hughes get bigger second contracts than we expect, but that would mean we’re likely Cup contenders.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thoughts on Zaitsev?

Could probably be had dirt* cheap - Leafs desperate for cap relief.

Edited by Devilsfan118

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Thoughts on Zaitsev?

Could probably be had dirty cheap - Leafs desperate for cap relief.

He’s not worth his cap hit. Screw dirt cheap; if he isn’t attached to a draft pick I don’t want him. Bottom four right handed defenseman. 

Edited by MB3
  • Like 1

some Zajac love:

Needs 14 points to pass Muller for 3rd all time in Devils history in points
Needs 9 goals to pass Parise for 4th all time in goals and 17 to pass Holik for 3rd
Needs 15 assists to pass Muller for 6th all time and 17 to pass Stevens for 5th
Needs 1 SHG to move into 4th all time

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Thoughts on Zaitsev?

Could probably be had dirt* cheap - Leafs desperate for cap relief.

Zaitsev might be the worst defenseman in hockey, on an even worse contract. I wouldn’t trade a fvcking 12-pack for him.

Edited by MadDog2020

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yup, I’m going to do like when I renovated my house and never look at the final number lol. 

Hall is with Jordan Eberle at game 1 of the NBA Finals.

• Like 3