2019-2020 Training Camp Roster

Devil Dan 56

Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

You sound more angry than he probably is lol. 

I’m not all that thrilled, I can tell you that lol. The Devils wanted to give Smith a roster spot. And at the very least- the absolute bear minimum- you’d think he’d do enough to get the nine game audition, especially after the camp he had last year. The fact that he’s going to spend the entire season in juniors should be flat-out unacceptable to him, and I hope he’s furious about it, and uses it to motivate himself for next year’s camp.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

I thought he did show it last year, but definitely not this year, which is why it's so disappointing. I though he might get the 9 games, but I get the decision. I'll be following him closely in Spokane and during the WJC. 

Definitely agree. I 100% expected him to come into camp this year and make the team. Until I saw him play. Very disappointing for us as fans, so he must be really bummed. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Definitely agree. I 100% expected him to come into camp this year and make the team. Until I saw him play. Very disappointing for us as fans, so he must be really bummed. 

Will definitely be interesting to see how he performs in the WJC in a bigger role. If I remember correctly last year his role was pretty limited or fairly limited. Still managed 3 points in 5 games, but I'm excited to see him take a bigger role with Canada.

2 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

Calling it now that Ty Smith will actually be a somewhat important part of the Devils playoffs this year - similar to Cale Makar last year for the Avs.

How's that for the bright side of things?

Yup I’ll sign up for that. 

4 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

Calling it now that Ty Smith will actually be a somewhat important part of the Devils playoffs this year - similar to Cale Makar last year for the Avs.

How's that for the bright side of things?

I mean, the Chiefs could very well make a deep playoff run, so unless the Devils have a similarly deep run, Ty Smith won't be suiting up for the Devils in the postseason. 

6 minutes ago, MB3 said:

oooooh I think 19 years old is a new NJDEVS record for getting a  “bust” label. 

Congratulations! We’ll email you a link for a free sweater, to help warm up your cold, dead heart.

Take it easy on me you old grouch, just kidding around.

Edited by Neb00rs

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I’m 27 years old, and you’ll forgive me for thinking that yet another NJDEVS member is going to start calling players busts before their 21st birthday.

"Old" was more a reference to how long you've been around the board, not your age. I think we can both agree that Smith is not a bust but you on the other hand, well, I'm still willing to give you a few more years to live up to all the hype.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

"Old" was more a reference to how long you've been around the board, not your age. I think we can both agree that Smith is not a bust but you on the other hand, well, I'm still willing to give you a few more years to live up to all the hype.

@MB3 lives up to the hype. 

7 hours ago, aylbert said:

I dunno about that...  his teenage years were rough, he mellowed out, and now he’s becoming grouchy.    (All in board context, not personal context)

He wasn’t at his prime at 19, few are. He was much better at 22 like everyone else. 

45411387281_1ae62b32cc_b.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nessus said:

Not that Smith deserved to make the NHL team, but he really needs tougher competition than the WHL. People are arguing otherwise, but he's got almost nothing to gain down there. I don't really have a solution, I'm just being another grouch.

I think most everyone agrees that this is not an ideal situation. The NHL transfer agreement with the CHL needs amending - and that's not my original thought, such has been suggested by numerous people across the hockey world. It seems to me that a good start would be allowing first round picks to go to the AHL as early as the year after their draft year...or even immediately. 

• Like 2

Very disappointing with Smith.  Very disappointing that Shero and Hynes felt it was more important to not lose a guy like Rooney to waivers than to keep Smith around for even 9 games.

I know the whole spiel about he should be playing every night versus playing 20 games in the NHL, but what good is it for his development to spank a league he already spanked last year but this time as a 19 year old doing it to 16 year olds?  What will he gain from that?  I guess in Hynes/Shero's mind mauling teenagers in the CHL is better than getting actual professional experience against men for 20 games and possibly more if Mueller/Butcher sh!t the bed.  I would also include Greene in that but of course our gutless coach would never dare scratch that pylon as long as he is blocking shots just by being in the way of practically everyone on the ice.

See you next year kid.

32 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Very disappointing with Smith.  Very disappointing that Shero and Hynes felt it was more important to not lose a guy like Rooney to waivers than to keep Smith around for even 9 games.

I know the whole spiel about he should be playing every night versus playing 20 games in the NHL, but what good is it for his development to spank a league he already spanked last year but this time as a 19 year old doing it to 16 year olds?  What will he gain from that?  I guess in Hynes/Shero's mind mauling teenagers in the CHL is better than getting actual professional experience against men for 20 games and possibly more if Mueller/Butcher sh!t the bed.  I would also include Greene in that but of course our gutless coach would never dare scratch that pylon as long as he is blocking shots just by being in the way of practically everyone on the ice.

See you next year kid.

I think it simply comes down to Shero and Hynes not seeing enough there that they could envision Smith figuring enough out after nine games.  Smith did next to nothing to earn the chance, really...he had every opportunity to show that he was ready to seize an NHL spot, and he didn't...on the flip side, Boqvist did. 

I think MD2020's take is pretty fair...the kid really should be aggravated with himself for not showing more, especially after last year's preseason (which kind of gave him an "in")...I think Shero and Hynes are disappointed too, both that he didn't play better, and that they couldn't justify giving him a roster spot. 

Butcher is signed to a three-year deal...if he were to start slow, it's not like they're not going to stick with him and give him a chance to get out of it.  As for Mueller, he's supposed to bring a different skillset altogether (more of a defensive defenseman of course)...he really needs to both show he CAN do his job AND stay healthy this year or it's soyonara, but I never really saw Smith as a replacement over Mueller...I always saw it more that two defensemen who play entirely different games. 

I agree in that I'm not sure Smith will benefit a ton from being an overager in juniors, but I don't see what occasional game action in the NHL (with a glut of defensemen who can provide offense already) will do for him either...he's probably not feeling terribly confident right now.  We've been through it...maybe Shero and Hynes are right.  Maybe for whatever the reason(s), they're truly dead on, in that this kid, much as they hoped and as much as WE hoped he'd be ready, simply isn't. 

Basically, in the end, I put this far more on Smith than I do Shero and Hynes.  He had a fair shot.  He didn't do nearly enough with it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think it simply comes down to Shero and Hynes not seeing enough there that they could envision Smith figuring enough out after nine games.  Smith did next to nothing to earn the chance, really...he had every opportunity to show that he was ready to seize an NHL spot, and he didn't...on the flip side, Boqvist did. 

I think MD2020's take is pretty fair...the kid really should be aggravated with himself for not showing more, especially after last year's preseason (which kind of gave him an "in")...I think Shero and Hynes are disappointed too, both that he didn't play better, and that they couldn't justify giving him a roster spot. 

Butcher is signed to a three-year deal...if he were to start slow, it's not like they're not going to stick with him and give him a chance to get out of it.  As for Mueller, he's supposed to bring a different skillset altogether (more of a defensive defenseman of course)...he really needs to both show he CAN do his job AND stay healthy this year or it's soyonara, but I never really saw Smith as a replacement over Mueller...I always saw it more that two defensemen who play entirely different games. 

I agree in that I'm not sure Smith will benefit a ton from being an overager in juniors, but I don't see what occasional game action in the NHL (with a glut of defensemen who can provide offense already) will do for him either...he's probably not feeling terribly confident right now.  We've been through it...maybe Shero and Hynes are right.  Maybe for whatever the reason(s), they're truly dead on, in that this kid, much as they hoped and as much as WE hoped he'd be ready, simply isn't. 

Basically, in the end, I put this far more on Smith than I do Shero and Hynes.  He had a fair shot.  He didn't do nearly enough with it. 

Am I the only one who disagrees with this? I mean...that's sports, isn't it? Sometimes you can have the talent you need and for whatever reason still end up taking the L or just not getting it done. If everyone performed up to expectations every time they were called it wouldn't be any fun. The effort was there, he tried his best, and the talent isn't going anywhere. He has nothing to hang his head about. Sometimes even star players can't rise to the occasion when it matters the most and he's only 19. Everyone's expectations, even his own probably, were way inflated by last year's camp and the pressure was on.

Mfitz said it the best with his comment about making the team out of camp as a teenager. You have to really be impressive, like way above average. He should have gotten the 9 game look, and I do wish he made the team, but some of you dudes, not CR1976 who I quoted, have to get some perspective. Ty Smith's world is not falling. Def isn't ideal that he has to go back to the WHL and can't play in the Bing though.  

Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

Am I the only one who disagrees with this? I mean...that's sports, isn't it? Sometimes you can have the talent you need and for whatever reason still end up taking the L or just not getting it done. If everyone performed up to expectations every time they were called it wouldn't be any fun. The effort was there, he tried his best, and the talent isn't going anywhere. He has nothing to hang his head about. Sometimes even star players can't rise to the occasion when it matters the most and he's only 19. Everyone's expectations, even his own probably, were way inflated by last year's camp and the pressure was on.

Mfitz said it the best with his comment about making the team out of camp as a teenager. You have to really be impressive, like way above average. He should have gotten the 9 game look, and I do wish he made the team, but some of you dudes, not CR1976 who I quoted, have to get some perspective. Ty Smith's world is not falling. Def isn't ideal that he has to go back to the WHL and can't play in the Bing though.  

Fair points.  His strong showing at last year's camp clearly raised expectations, to the point where it almost seemed preordained that he would make the team this year.  Maybe THIS version of Smith (the 19-year-old at THIS moment in time) against tougher competition is who he really is...Hynes did sound a little frustrated with him though, during the preseason...sounds like he expected more too.  Even Smith himself is probably a little surprised that it didn't go better for him.

Doesn't mean that Smith won't get a hell of a lot better and won't begin to contribute as soon as next year (or even earlier, if enough sh!t aligns).  Like you said, sometimes kids go through the typical growing pains, rough spells, etc.  Shero was clearly prepared for this...he brought in Subban, and didn't trade a guy like Vatanen prematurely to make room for Smith.  He'll come into camp as a 20-year-old next season...still very young, still lots of time.  If makes the team at 20 and holds his own against NHLers as a rookie, and then follows that up by becoming an NHL regular, no complaints at all.