Zajac Turns Down Trade Scenario

titans04

Would have less than zero issue moving him out so even without knowing the proposed deal color me bummed.  They need to turn this roster over in a huge way imo outside of the few young guys we want to hold onto.  Yeah he's a great guy in he room I'm sure. Replacing Zajac's production on the ice wouldn't be all that difficult.  I also do want him as a part of the future. I also get he's earned the right to say no thanks, but it sucks.

Edited by titans04

Well I guess it’s within his rights. I’ve been very critical of Zajac in the past but I think I’m happy to keep him at this point. Now that we have a 1C (pretty much two of them) he’s being used properly on the 2nd or 3rd line (even though his line is currently the most productive). Still think Hughes needs to get a shot between Coleman and the Goose and if that’s successful I might rethink my stance on Zajac again. 

• Like 2

If he can put in 4 more years and stay health, he can break Daneyko's record for most regular season games played as a Devils. With his defensive skills if his skating doesn't totally go south and he can still chip in 30 pts a year...he may be worth keeping around. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Seeing this also makes me realize that a lot of guys we have grown accustomed to over the past 4-5 seasons are going to be gone soon.  I think by the start of the 21-22 season at least 2/3 of the roster will be totally different guys than what we have now.

That seems to be the trend. 

4 hours ago, Jerzey said:

Well I guess it’s within his rights. I’ve been very critical of Zajac in the past but I think I’m happy to keep him at this point. Now that we have a 1C (pretty much two of them) he’s being used properly on the 2nd or 3rd line (even though his line is currently the most productive). Still think Hughes needs to get a shot between Coleman and the Goose and if that’s successful I might rethink my stance on Zajac again. 

Goose-Hughes-Coleman.... that line would inspire a new drink served at the Rock: Jack and (Grey) Goose with a splash of pickle juice. 😛

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Love having this dude on my team and I appreciate his loyalty to us here in NJ given the lack of success the team has had while he's been here. Fully support him staying. 

Agree totally. I mean are we gonna criticize a guy who is loyal and wants to stay? Not I. 

Further, in a world where current day Wayne Simmonds makes $5m a year, Zajac is not overpaid for what he brings. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Agree totally. I mean are we gonna criticize a guy who is loyal and wants to stay? Not I. 

Further, in a world where current day Wayne Simmonds makes $5m a year, Zajac is not overpaid for what he brings. 

When Hall propelled NJ into the playoffs a few years ago tons of people continued to call him overpaid(as if his cap hit even mattered). It seems like he draws negative attention when the team is doing well because the things he does best fly under the radar. Hey, what do I know? Blake Coleman is just a role player after all and we need to let go of our love affair with role guys and trade them for TJ Brodie 😛

1 minute ago, jagknife said:

Zajac under a new deal more befitting his age and bottom 6 role will not be an issue for this team.

Love the guy and I hope he takes Dano’s record down with ease. He’s earned it.

And I hope we give him a nice deep playoff run. Or better yet a Cup.

Since 2012 he's played 5 playoff games. He deserves far better

Edited by '7'
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I had a bigger problem when we were using Zajac as a first line center, which he was never suited for. 

I wouldn’t say never. He was pretty damn good with Zach for a couple years there. 60+ points a season and 20+ goals. 

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I wouldn’t say never. He was pretty damn good with Zach for a couple years there. 60+ points a season and 20+ goals. 

Ehh...that was two seasons and I think that was more playing with a very talented player on his wing than his skill set. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Ehh...that was two seasons and I think that was more playing with a very talented player on his wing than his skill set. 

Right, so there was two seasons where he was a pretty good 1C. Almost 70 points in 2010. 

11 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Right, so there was two seasons where he was a pretty good 1C. Almost 70 points in 2010. 

I didn’t say he didn’t compile some good numbers for a couple seasons, I just said he was never suited to being a 1C. That’s not where his skill set lies. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I didn’t say he didn’t compile some good numbers for a couple seasons, I just said he was never suited to being a 1C. That’s not where his skill set lies. 

Agree to disagree. That ZZPops line was pretty good. 

I do wish we’d stop using him on the PP at this point though. I don’t know how much longer you can keep ignoring Coleman...