NHL: 24 team playoffs soon. Devil's season is over

Satans Hockey

12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

If you are suggesting that a team that makes the finals and wins because their opponent had several injuries of their top players should have an asterisk next to their championship, that's absolute crap.

it's quite sad that you obviously missed the part where i said " i don't think its unfair to have some * in our minds for some stuff."

And that because of that you somehow got that i was saying there should be a legit official * next to championship teams like on the cup or in the books or something and took the time / effort to type all that....

for example. IN MY MIND Brodeur should have won the conn smyth in 2003. IN MY MIND Subban shouldnt have won the Norris for "best overall dman" in a year where he was NOT put in any defensive role situations, protecting leads or playing tough matchup / not playing a single game against west teams / in shortened season. IN MY MIND Dallas shouldnt have won the cup in 99 because Hull's skate was in the crease etc etc etc etc etc etc

Edited by SterioDesign

6 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

it's quite sad that you obviously missed the part where i said " i don't think its unfair to have some * in our minds for some stuff."

And that because of that you somehow got that i was saying there should be a legit official * next to championship teams like on the cup or in the books or something and took the time / effort to type all that....

for example. IN MY MIND Brodeur should have won the conn smyth in 2003. IN MY MIND Subban shouldnt have won the Norris for "best overall dman" in a year where he was NOT put in any defensive role situations, protecting leads or playing tough matchup / not playing a single game against west teams / in shortened season. IN MY MIND Dallas shouldnt have won the cup in 99 because Hull's skate was in the crease etc etc etc etc etc etc

I “somehow got” it because you used it as a specific example of what you were talking about. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I “somehow got” it because you used it as a specific example of what you were talking about. 

Well i still specified " * in our minds". Never said it should be official or anything.

Some people are saying Carolina should have never won the cup if the Sabres would not have been all injured that year. Some habs fans are saying they would have won the cup the year Kreider ram in price and took him out lol Not saying it's correct but everyone is entitled to their own opinion in their mind

6 hours ago, MB3 said:

Tarasenko is the first name to come to mind. They were saying he "might be healthy by the cup finals" when he originally went down. Not sure if that prognosis changed.

Definitely post deadline, but I hadn’t read the Finals part. I believed playoffs were a possibility but hell its been a long decade since the season paused

10 hours ago, jagknife said:

Definitely post deadline, but I hadn’t read the Finals part. I believed playoffs were a possibility but hell its been a long decade since the season paused

This whole current situation, for many, is something we have never dealt with before.  Many are learning as they go.  But as we deal with these life issues, we will learn what the important things are.  And we will be better the next time for events such as these.

4 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Some really old games on today and for once games I actually haven't seen before on MSG+... 

5pm - Hartford at Devils from 12/3/82

10pm - Islanders at Devils from 10/21/84

Love it! Definitely games I have never seen before. I was only 3 in ‘82, and I was in Kindergarten in ‘84 (I found out about the Devils in ‘85, and that’s when I saw my first game- from there, I was hooked and the rest is history lol). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Some really old games on today and for once games I actually haven't seen before on MSG+... 

I would get a kick out of seeing the "Mickey Mouse" game...I have it on DVD, but would be a hoot to see that on MSG...one of the only losses I'd check out if it was actually on TV.  

Most people don't know that the Devils led 2-0 just after three minutes in the first period.  And were still in it over halfway through the second, trailing 4-3.  Got plenty ugly after that though...9 Edmonton goals in just over 27 minutes...how is that even POSSIBLE?!

BTW I think you made a typo on that second game...looks like it was played on 10/12/84.  That was the Devils' opening game that year.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Love it! Definitely games I have never seen before. I was only 3 in ‘82, and I was in Kindergarten in ‘84 (I found out about the Devils in ‘85, and that’s when I saw my first game- from there, I was hooked and the rest is history lol). 

This was my first game:

https://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/198312100NJD.html

I was 13.  I remember the game being close for a while, then my dad wanting to leave when it started to get out of hand...I think it was after Flyers' goal #6 that he had had enough.  

This is another one that I went to, in 1994 (I was 23), and man I would LOVE to see this one again.  Check out the box score from the 14:34 mark on in the third period.  Basically every time a goal was announced, the Devils would score another one.  I went with two of my buddies, and we had an absolute blast at this game:

https://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/199402050NJD.html

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

BTW I think you made a typo on that second game...looks like it was played on 10/12/84.  That was the Devils' opening game that year.  

Not sure, that's how it's listed on my guide. 

I just like seeing some older games in general. I'm not really a repeat watcher of anything so I'm not really interested in seeing replays from games I've already seen.

5 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Not sure, that's how it's listed on my guide. 

I just like seeing some older games in general. I'm not really a repeat watcher of anything so I'm not really interested in seeing replays from games I've already seen.

Yeah know what you mean, I usually don't "rewatch" games I've already seen.  I have some Rockies games on DVD that I've watched more than once, for nostalgia's sake more than anything else (one of them shows Hardy Astrom in net, heh heh).  

I've always wanted to see that Devils - Penguins game from 1994 again though.  The Penguins were clearly gassed (they had played in Detroit the night before) and the Devils were just all over them from sometime in the second period on...you just kept waiting for them to break through.  And then it was just an absolute explosion.  Building really got loud with each goal in that barrage to close out that game.  Lots of cheering and even a lot of laughing.  One of the best times that I ever had at a Devils game.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

On 4/20/2020 at 3:57 PM, Satans Hockey said:

I am into these old Devils games, and over the weekend I watched a good portion of the Islanders' Cup clinching games from the early 80s.

The quality of hockey in the 1980s and early 90s was outstanding in my opinion. Things took a turn for the worse in the late 90s and 2000s. I rewatched our 2000 victory in Game 7 over the Flyers in the Eastern Conference Finals, and what a slog of a game that was. The entire 2003 playoffs was a slog, made tolerable by the fact that we won a Cup.

I'm watching Sabres-Devils '94, Game 2 in the first round, and it's very entertaining. Miles Wood's dad is playing on Buffalo!

• Like 1

I remember Randy Wood more as an Islander.

Really made me feel old when I found out that Miles was his kid.  

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I remember Randy Wood more as an Islander.

Really made me feel old when I found out that Miles was his kid.  

You can say that again.

Seeing Bernie Nicholls in the game reminded me that he should be in the Hall of Fame. You could also make an argument for another player in this game, Alex Mogilny. But the biggest HOF snub from this era is former Sabre and Islander Pierre Turgeon. How in the world is this guy not enshrined? An elite player.

1 hour ago, Jerrydevil said:

I am into these old Devils games, and over the weekend I watched a good portion of the Islanders' Cup clinching games from the early 80s.

The quality of hockey in the 1980s and early 90s was outstanding in my opinion. Things took a turn for the worse in the late 90s and 2000s. I rewatched our 2000 victory in Game 7 over the Flyers in the Eastern Conference Finals, and what a slog of a game that was. The entire 2003 playoffs was a slog, made tolerable by the fact that we won a Cup.

I'm watching Sabres-Devils '94, Game 2 in the first round, and it's very entertaining. Miles Wood's dad is playing on Buffalo!

My biggest complaint that I notice for the old Islanders games for me is that my TV guide puts the score for those games, doesn't happen for the Devils games though. Makes no sense to put the score there lol

Disagree about the 03 team being a slog though but I'm 100% bias cause I love that team still lol

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

My biggest complaint that I notice for the old Islanders games for me is that my TV guide puts the score for those games, doesn't happen for the Devils games though. Makes no sense to put the score there lol

Disagree about the 03 team being a slog though but I'm 100% bias cause I love that team still lol

There are a lot of memorable moments for that 2003 team and I am fond of many of the players. Lou did a great job bringing in role players who made a big difference. Friesen's goal in Ottawa is one of the franchise's biggest highlights. I just remember the games themselves not being the greatest. I kind of recall the Anaheim series not being a great series even though it went 7 games. I ain't giving the Cup back or anything. :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerrydevil said:

You can say that again.

Seeing Bernie Nicholls in the game reminded me that he should be in the Hall of Fame. You could also make an argument for another player in this game, Alex Mogilny. But the biggest HOF snub from this era is former Sabre and Islander Pierre Turgeon. How in the world is this guy not enshrined? An elite player.

Mogilny basically had two very big years in a very offensive era.  Most of the rest saw him miss his fair share of games, or be good, but not great (compared to his peers).  Obviously had a fine career and I’ll always remember his 2000-01 regular season fondly (especially when he went on that goal-scoring tear), but he just didn’t have enough standout seasons to get in the Hall Of Fame.

Bernie and Pierre played in Live Puck...their numbers look awesome now, but they weren’t as impressive then...average offensive teams were often averaging more goals for per game than top offensive teams do now.  That being said, when guys like Lindros and Kariya get in (who I think got in for what they could’ve been had they been healthier, as opposed to what they actually were for the balance of their careers) and the bar is lowered, I can understand wondering about guys like Nicholls and Turgeon.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Mogilny basically had two very big years in a very offensive era.  Most of the rest saw him miss his fair share of games, or be good, but not great (compared to his peers).  Obviously had a fine career and I’ll always remember his 2000-01 regular season fondly (especially when he went on that goal-scoring tear), but he just didn’t have enough standout seasons to get in the Hall Of Fame.

Bernie and Pierre played in Live Puck...their numbers look awesome now, but they weren’t as impressive then...average offensive teams were often averaging more goals for per game than top offensive teams do now.  That being said, when guys like Lindros and Kariya get in (who I think got in for what they could’ve been had they been healthier, as opposed to what they actually were for the balance of their careers) and the bar is lowered, I can understand wondering about guys like Nicholls and Turgeon.

Good point about Live Puck, I just thought Turgeon passed the "eye test" for an elite player in addition to having great numbers. I think he's a bigger omission than Nicholls. I have no problem with Lindros and Kariya getting in, they were both great players for a long enough period of time, and Lindros was flat-out dominant.

3 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

Lindros was flat-out dominant.

Gretzky and Mario had their best years before my time.  With that in mind, there are only two players in their prime that scared me as an opposing fan every time they had the puck, Lindros and Jagr.  I can't say the same thing about Crosby or McDavid.  Ovehckin might be kind of close, except for the fact that he has played virtually no important games against the Devils. 

5 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Gretzky and Mario had their best years before my time.  With that in mind, there are only two players in their prime that scared me as an opposing fan every time they had the puck, Lindros and Jagr.  I can't say the same thing about Crosby or McDavid.  Ovehckin might be kind of close, except for the fact that he has played virtually no important games against the Devils. 

The comparison to Jagr is high praise and well-deserved. Lindros was that scary good.

2 hours ago, Jerrydevil said:

The comparison to Jagr is high praise and well-deserved. Lindros was that scary good.

Devils actually did a pretty good job neutralizing Lindros...while it’s not like his numbers sucked vs the Devils (39 points in 41 GP), it did feel like when push came to shove, the Devils would always find a way to beat his Flyer teams.  He didn’t scare me that much...looking at his career splits, there’s other teams that he hurt a lot more.

His numbers were quite beastly for a while, and if he hadn’t missed so many games, he would’ve deserved to get into the HHoF based on short-term dominance.  But my beef is that in the time that he played, you just couldn’t count on him to ever stay healthy.  760 GP in 13 seasons.  He had Hall of Fame talent and for most of his time with the Flyers that was fully on display when he was on the ice, but sadly due to health and concussions, he didn’t really have a Hall of Fame career.  And I think he got in more due to his obvious talent and what could have been, than what actually was.