OT:Mets have new suitors: Devils and Sixers owners Josh Harris and David Blitzer

titans04

11 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Yup, I have no idea if it's even available in South Jersey though. I don't follow baseball whatsoever but it's mainly Phillies fans down there.

South Jersey in general is Philly-based, as far as their sports loyalties go.  That was the worst part about living in Lambertville NJ for a couple of years...TV market was all Philadelphia, though for some reason I got both NY Fox and Philly Fox on my cable feed.  To watch the Devils, I used to either go to friends' houses who were able to get the games, or to a TGIF on the Somerville Circle.  I remember being SO pissed when I got everything in my apartment all set up, turned on the TV and quickly found out that I was stuck with Philly sports.  And how happy I was when I moved to Manville (lived there in the late 90s - 2001) and could watch the Devils whenever there was a game, without having to go anywhere unless I wanted to.  

• Like 1

Obviously the network is the biggest thing, but wouldn't owning the team AND the network decrease outlay costs considerably b/c you're not paying for rights fees to the teams?You'd be making right's fees from Cable Operators, ADs, and then any other subscription/OTT related content? 

Do I assume also these teams own their catalogs too?

SNY has an infrastructure in place, easy move to try to get the Devils there - though I had though the Devils signed a long long term with MSG Networks. IIRC - the Devils deal ends in 2025 with MSG and was worth about ~20M/year to the team? Can that be right? (Seems like a money loser for MSG - they may want out early?)

Anyway - having a dedicated network to a team on the rise, seems like a great idea for the fans and for the business. 

13 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Yup, I have no idea if it's even available in South Jersey though. I don't follow baseball whatsoever but it's mainly Phillies fans down there.

Web site says “throughout New Jersey”, so I would guess it is. In any event, the Mets wouldn’t be on MSG where the Devils are, I don’t see how this would impact anything. 

21 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

I don't think the owners did anything negative to the arena but those seats have been there since the building opened. Honestly a lot of seats are going to need be replaced soon, so many are just dirty looking and stained now.

I remember my seats in 208 were stained during a concert over the weekend back in 2010 or 2011, and that mustard stain was still there for the Finals run in 2012. Bet its still there today.

2 hours ago, HellOnICE said:

Obviously the network is the biggest thing, but wouldn't owning the team AND the network decrease outlay costs considerably b/c you're not paying for rights fees to the teams?You'd be making right's fees from Cable Operators, ADs, and then any other subscription/OTT related content? 

Do I assume also these teams own their catalogs too?

SNY has an infrastructure in place, easy move to try to get the Devils there - though I had though the Devils signed a long long term with MSG Networks. IIRC - the Devils deal ends in 2025 with MSG and was worth about ~20M/year to the team? Can that be right? (Seems like a money loser for MSG - they may want out early?)

Anyway - having a dedicated network to a team on the rise, seems like a great idea for the fans and for the business.

Sabres fans have hated MSG since they were picked up by the network, which is hysterical since Empire Sports folded in 2004ish and they didnt have a dedicated network, they never stopped complaining.

I'd honestly like for us to get away from MSG, but I'm glad they're on SOMETHING. I hate the music MSG uses, nit picky i know, but man that depressing outro for every commercial break is so annoying, even when they're playing well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Itd be exciting going onto SNY having a lot of it to ourselves, having more content and such. One good thing about MSG though I’ll say is that  there’s great cross promotion bw all the teams on that network. If you’re a knicks, Rangers, islanders fan watching a game you’ll prob encounter a devils commercial at least once during the night. Not that those fans care about us but it keeps the Devils in the general conscious of many. I’d hope we wouldn’t get lost on SNY.

On 6/10/2020 at 1:02 PM, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Re bolded: I'm confused, how have they de-deviled the arena? Anyone who thinks that is asinine

The owners re-did the Fire and Ice lounges to something more neutral, they removed the pictures of Devils pictures on the columns in front of the former Fire Lounge, etc.

It's literally that kind of stuff that has a decent amount of our fans lose their minds over.

8 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

South Jersey in general is Philly-based, as far as their sports loyalties go.  That was the worst part about living in Lambertville NJ for a couple of years...TV market was all Philadelphia, though for some reason I got both NY Fox and Philly Fox on my cable feed.  To watch the Devils, I used to either go to friends' houses who were able to get the games, or to a TGIF on the Somerville Circle.  I remember being SO pissed when I got everything in my apartment all set up, turned on the TV and quickly found out that I was stuck with Philly sports.  And how happy I was when I moved to Manville (lived there in the late 90s - 2001) and could watch the Devils whenever there was a game, without having to go anywhere unless I wanted to.  

When I lived in Hillsborough, I heard of people saying they lived in Hillsborough but their cable provider showed stations of our Philly instead of NYC.  Not sure how true that part is.  Maybe the Belle Mead section got it?

11 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Web site says “throughout New Jersey”, so I would guess it is. In any event, the Mets wouldn’t be on MSG where the Devils are, I don’t see how this would impact anything. 

I wonder if Harris and Blitzer could leverage this into somehow getting Devils games on TV in South Jersey. The Flyers may have territorial rights, but fvck the Flyers. It’s our state. Stick it to them and increase the fanbase. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

Must be nice... 

Noooooooooo!!!! They’re my most hated team in all of sports, and if I’m being perfectly honest it’s really not even close. I mean, ofc I hate the Rags, and Sean Avery is my most hated hockey player of all time, but since I don’t live up there I don’t really have to deal with Rags fans like you guys do on a daily basis. The Steelers otoh fill Paul Brown Stadium with their awful piss yellow terrible towels every time they play the Bengals in Cincinnati. And their Yinzer fans are insufferable (sorry if anyone here is from Pittsburgh). Talk about living in the past. They’re still boasting about Super Bowl’s won in the 70’s ffs. Some of the nastiest fights I’ve ever seen at a sporting event involved Steelers fans too. I don’t like this one bit. 

11 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Worse than Philly fans??

I have no basis to compare, but from everything I’ve heard about Philly sports fans you mostly only have to worry in Philly. But Steelers fans travel so well (especially to close places like Cincy and Cleveland) you basically lose home field advantage. Probably similar to what you guys deal with with Rags fans. Just worse because football games people are drunk as sh!t and fights are much more common. 

4 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I have no basis to compare, but from everything I’ve heard about Philly sports fans you mostly only have to worry in Philly. But Steelers fans travel so well (especially to close places like Cincy and Cleveland) you basically lose home field advantage. Probably similar to what you guys deal with with Rags fans. Just worse because football games people are drunk as sh!t and fights are much more common. 

Flyer fans do show up to the Rock, and the nights I've seen the most fights among fans have been games against the Flyers.  Ranger fans are largely dummies, but damn do the Flyers fans have the market on violence pretty well cornered.  I used to go to the Spectrum back in the day wearing a Devils jersey, and amazing nothing happened (though I didn't do much to draw attention to myself...I'd cheer when the Devils scored, but would sit back down and not attempt to start anything with anyone).  Not so sure I'd go to a Flyer home game now...just don't need the aggravation.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Flyer fans do show up to the Rock, and the nights I've seen the most fights among fans have been games against the Flyers.  Ranger fans are largely dummies, but damn do the Flyers fans have the market on violence pretty well cornered.  I used to go to the Spectrum back in the day wearing a Devils jersey, and amazing nothing happened (though I didn't do much to draw attention to myself...I'd cheer when the Devils scored, but would sit back down and not attempt to start anything with anyone).  Not so sure I'd go to a Flyer home game now...just don't need the aggravation.  

Must be something in the water in Pennsylvania...

• Like 1

I've said this before but I've seen a hell of a lot less fights at the Prudential center than at the old Meadowlands. I think that has way more to do with everyone having cell phones nowadays and people not wanting to lose their jobs over getting filmed doing something stupid. 

There's still some here and there but it's nothing like it was at the Meadowlands. There was one game vs the Flyers where a good 10 people or so got tossed out in my section alone and I had to dodge people falling over the seats lol

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I've said this before but I've seen a hell of a lot less fights at the Prudential center than at the old Meadowlands. I think that has way more to do with everyone having cell phones nowadays and people not wanting to lose their jobs over getting filmed doing something stupid. 

There's still some here and there but it's nothing like it was at the Meadowlands. There was one game vs the Flyers where a good 10 people or so got tossed out in my section alone and I had to dodge people falling over the seats lol

Agree totally, you had to make an effort to avoid fights at the Meadowlands. Never really an issue in Newark. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 6/15/2020 at 4:07 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I used to go to the Spectrum back in the day wearing a Devils jersey, and amazing nothing happened (though I didn't do much to draw attention to myself...I'd cheer when the Devils scored, but would sit back down and not attempt to start anything with anyone).  Not so sure I'd go to a Flyer home game now...just don't need the aggravation.  

I've been to their Spectrum, FU Center, The Wach Off Center, & Wells Fargo, and am ALWAYS in our colors.... and a mask :devil:. And I try to get "Let's Go Devils" chants going because I'm an a$$hole... I get boo'd. But laugh it off with those near me. 

I've irritated some of them to getting close to fighting several times in all those arenas, but was always able to diffuse the situation by turning the majority of the crowd against the idiot wanting to fight by winning the battle of comedy and wits banter beforehand... But to be fair, FlyHer fans are usually not armed for that fight.

On 6/15/2020 at 4:54 PM, Satans Hockey said:

Good point about the phone camera thing. But if you are to the point you think fighting in the arena is a good idea, you're probably past the "giving a sh!t about real life" stage.

Now, once you hit the streets heading to our car/ride, that's a different story.

&

I was there at a time when people came tumbling down the seats before too! Crazy stupid!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/11/2020 at 9:06 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Lambertville is absolutely not South Jersey. It's pretty much straight west of Newark. That might not've been exactly what you were saying, but I couldn't let this misidentification stand if it was lol

On 6/10/2020 at 9:01 PM, Satans Hockey said:

Certainly interesting to see how many comments on there are about people wanting them to sell the 76ers...

I also wonder how this would even work, they would need overflow channels cause all 3 teams do play at the same time during certain times of the year. Plus would you even show a 76ers game anywhere but South Jersey? Nobody in the rest of NJ or the NYC area gives a sh!t about the 76ers.

No one gives a sh!t about the Nets or the Knicks, either. People that actually care about an NBA franchise are turning into a pretty small niche. It's all about the star power. If a team's got stars, they'll get eyeballs in any market. I wouldn't be surprised if the Kicks didn't blow the Sixers out of the water in terms of ratings if they were both available in the NY market. People might have just as much interest in watching Embiid and Simmons as they do watching an awful Knicks team. 

Things will change big time when the Nets get this whole team together on the court, but that'll just illustrate the point. Pretty much no one is actually primarily a Nets fan anymore, but people will watch and bandwagon if that team works out. 

Don't the owners have a piece of a premier league team, too? Crystal Palace if I remember right? Or is that someone else. 

36 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

Lambertville is absolutely not South Jersey. It's pretty much straight west of Newark. That might not've been exactly what you were saying, but I couldn't let this misidentification stand if it was lol

No one gives a sh!t about the Nets or the Knicks, either. People that actually care about an NBA franchise are turning into a pretty small niche. It's all about the star power. If a team's got stars, they'll get eyeballs in any market. I wouldn't be surprised if the Kicks didn't blow the Sixers out of the water in terms of ratings if they were both available in the NY market. People might have just as much interest in watching Embiid and Simmons as they do watching an awful Knicks team. 

Things will change big time when the Nets get this whole team together on the court, but that'll just illustrate the point. Pretty much no one is actually primarily a Nets fan anymore, but people will watch and bandwagon if that team works out. 

Don't the owners have a piece of a premier league team, too? Crystal Palace if I remember right? Or is that someone else. 

Lambertville is not straight west of Newark...much more southwest.  But regardless of where it is geographically (about right in the middle of the state, but as far as you can go west of course, before hitting Philly), it feels very South Jersey...right down to the 609 area code.

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Lambertville is not straight west of Newark...much more southwest.  But regardless of where it is geographically (about right in the middle of the state, but as far as you can go west of course, before hitting Philly), it feels very South Jersey...right down to the 609 area code.

I mean, we can dissect it as much as we want, but it's an east/west trip. If you go directly east as the crow flies from Lambertville, you're hitting some of the Brunswicks, Old Bridge, Hazlet. Far from South Jersey. It's also still pretty far from Philly. Right across the bridge from New Hope, which is way out there in Bucks County. 

Funny how people see the state so differently. I'd probably give a similar rudimentary analysis of North Jersey that would be eye rolled at by you guys up there. The only reason I know any differences between Essex and Hudson County is because I know where the Rock is. 

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Definitely not straight west, though that looks like the dead center of NJ. If Central Jersey was a thing, I would say it’s right there. 

50199923473_2742f8771f_c.jpg

I just don't understand the obsessive Central Jersey denial thing. If it exists collectively to the people from there, it exists. People get to identify with their space however they want. 

That being said, Lambertville is probably firmly Central Jersey, but I couldn't go much further north from there before starting to see it as North Jersey.