2021 Around The League Thread

Satans Hockey

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

$917k and change. 

Weird to trade for him and then not qualify him though. I kind of looked at this move as doing good by him too because maybe he'd have a better shot to get some playing time somewhere else. Thompson and Foote are expected to compete for the last roster spot then? Merkley is almost a better option than Mango given how he played last year.

6 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Weird to trade for him and then not qualify him though. 

That’s what I’m saying. It’s certainly a worthy observation and kind of interesting, not one that warrants a “who gives a fvck” response, I thought. 

22 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That’s what I’m saying. It’s certainly a worthy observation and kind of interesting, not one that warrants a “who gives a fvck” response, I thought. 

I think MD was just saying there’s no point in “worrying” about the guy we got back. If you just mentioned Merkley not receiving a QO I don’t think you get the “who gives a fvck” reply lol. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

I think MD was just saying there’s no point in “worrying” about the guy we got back. If you just mentioned Merkley not receiving a QO I don’t think you get the “who gives a fvck” reply lol. 

Exactly. The dude we got back is Utica depth. He’s the dude you’ll call up if you have like, three or four injuries on D.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Crisis said:

Hall just got a contract for $6m and he has about 80 more points in 7 more games.

Nugent-Hopkins got a contract for $5.125m and he has about 30 less points in 30 less games.

Do you think Gabe deserves the $9m he is asking because he is the captain?

Well I said what i had to say. I don't know what the numbers are. Which is that i'd personally feel insulted if i played 10 years for a guy and that we can't come up with a fair price in weeks and then he turns around and throw 9m per year to the new kid who still never played a full season in the NHL and sign a 6 years deal right away. That's literally all im saying. You may not agree and wouldn't feel the same way and that's perfectly fine but i fail to see how that's not easily understandable as an angle.

And no of course i'm no saying he deserves 9m because he is the captain, of course not. I brought up the captain cause he's been a loyal guy and figured they had a good relationship.

There's no need to throw numbers that aren't even confirmed around and compare with other players around the league. You bring up Hall, then i bring up Skinner. Then what? lol

19 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well I said what i had to say. I don't know what the numbers are. Which is that i'd personally feel insulted if i played 10 years for a guy and that we can't come up with a fair price in weeks and then he turns around and throw 9m per year to the new kid who still never played a full season in the NHL and sign a 6 years deal right away. That's literally all im saying. You may not agree and wouldn't feel the same way and that's perfectly fine but i fail to see how that's not easily understandable as an angle.

And no of course i'm no saying he deserves 9m because he is the captain, of course not. I brought up the captain cause he's been a loyal guy and figured they had a good relationship.

There's no need to throw numbers that aren't even confirmed around and compare with other players around the league. You bring up Hall, then i bring up Skinner. Then what? lol

What you say makes sense to me. In fact, if Sakic offered him a $5 million salary, then I'm inclined to believe they really don't want Landeskog.

14 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Makar is the real deal.  And if Gabe is insulted by the new trends in NHL contracts, then he needs to get over it.  The young guns are the ones getting paid and there is a precedent being set for the way his peers and comparables are getting paid.  Sakic is going to come in a little low and his agent is going to come in a little high, but all I'm saying is that the number is probably closer to 6-7 than the 9-10 that it has been rumored he is asking.

12 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Makar is the real deal.  And if Gabe is insulted by the new trends in NHL contracts, then he needs to get over it.  The young guns are the ones getting paid and there is a precedent being set for the way his peers and comparables are getting paid.  Sakic is going to come in a little low and his agent is going to come in a little high, but all I'm saying is that the number is probably closer to 6-7 than the 9-10 that it has been rumored he is asking.

Im probably just not explaining myself well here. Again.

Sakic has been known to be playing hardball. Either with trades or signing his players. He had the whole summer to sign Makar. He's a RFA coming off his ELC, he's controlling his next few years no matter what, he has all the leverage. Those young guys are often signing a bridge contract. Sometimes they don't and thats also fine.

But in this case, Sakic is playing hardball and really dragging this with both his captain and starting goalie, willing to even let them walk. Playing hardball like a motherfvcker.

Then you have McKinnon who many see as the best player in the world at time, signed to a very very very favorable contract. I'm sure Sakic played into that decision too.

All of that to recap, Sakic is always playing hardball to get the best possible deal that HE wants. 

But then when it came to Makar. It doesn't  appear like he played hard ball with that one AT ALL. As hardballer as he can be, how couldnt he force makar to sign a bridge contract or something? Since he still didn't even play a full season yet. Of course Makar IS amazing and im sure he's the real deal. But there's been many young guys like him having amazing starts then sh!tting the bed. So those are STILL arguments that goes your way in negotiations when you have leverage. I don't understand why he prioritized his rookie with who he has FULL leverage and could force to sign a bridge deal because of small sample size or wtv. And not his captain and starting goalie who was just nominated for the vezina, willingly giving away all his leverage.

I just can't wrap my head around that whole thing and i'm 100% guessing how Landeskog feels. I obviously have no idea. But again, if i'd be him seeing this would leave a sour taste in my mouth personally, thats all. 

11 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Pius Suter is a guy Fitz should be looking at: 

yeah for sure. That's kind of Sharangovich'ish. He'd have to play the wing here though. He's not great defensively and would need a bit more size to play center in the bottom 6 IMO. but the kid can sure score goals

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

yeah for sure. That's kind of Sharangovich'ish. He'd have to play the wing here though. He's not great defensively and would need a bit more size to play center in the bottom 6 IMO. but the kid can sure score goals

Swiss guy too. I’d assume Nico is familiar with him.

22 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Swiss guy too. I’d assume Nico is familiar with him.

Yeah totally, they didn't grow up in the same town but would actually go to the same summer camp as kids. They connected through soccer and always stayed in touch through MSN messenger. Nico's nickname in highschool was 'Cotine and it's Pius who came up with that. 

I also made this all up

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Im probably just not explaining myself well here. Again.

Sakic has been known to be playing hardball. Either with trades or signing his players. He had the whole summer to sign Makar. He's a RFA coming off his ELC, he's controlling his next few years no matter what, he has all the leverage. Those young guys are often signing a bridge contract. Sometimes they don't and thats also fine.

But in this case, Sakic is playing hardball and really dragging this with both his captain and starting goalie, willing to even let them walk. Playing hardball like a motherfvcker.

Then you have McKinnon who many see as the best player in the world at time, signed to a very very very favorable contract. I'm sure Sakic played into that decision too.

All of that to recap, Sakic is always playing hardball to get the best possible deal that HE wants. 

But then when it came to Makar. It doesn't  appear like he played hard ball with that one AT ALL. As hardballer as he can be, how couldnt he force makar to sign a bridge contract or something? Since he still didn't even play a full season yet. Of course Makar IS amazing and im sure he's the real deal. But there's been many young guys like him having amazing starts then sh!tting the bed. So those are STILL arguments that goes your way in negotiations when you have leverage. I don't understand why he prioritized his rookie with who he has FULL leverage and could force to sign a bridge deal because of small sample size or wtv. And not his captain and starting goalie who was just nominated for the vezina, willingly giving away all his leverage.

I just can't wrap my head around that whole thing and i'm 100% guessing how Landeskog feels. I obviously have no idea. But again, if i'd be him seeing this would leave a sour taste in my mouth personally, thats all. 

Well Miro and Seth signed for 8.5x8 and 9.5x8 leading up to this deal so they basically set the market for Cale.

Edited by Crisis

37 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Well Miro and Seth signed for 8.5x8 and 9.5x8 leading up to this deal so they basically set the market for Cale.

Well Miro played twice the amount of games Cale played and Seth played about 5-6 times the amount of games. That's the big difference in negotiations.

I mean does Sakic think signing him this early will save him money? that Cale will be worth 11-12m in a few years?

Like for us... we SHOULD try to sign Hughes right now cause he didn't do that well so far with a small sample size. So it would go to our advantage. So you hope that he signs at that value and then start producing more. That's part of the logic. In cale's case he had great production early so i get that he went for this contract but im surprise Sakic went for it right away. Maybe it will pay off in the end of Cale would be worth 12m in 3-4 years. But theres also a chance that he's just another Myers, Ghost, etc etc who did amazing in their first season and went downhill after. Again, the kid didn't play a full season yet travelling around the league

Evidently Tyler Johnson traded to the Blackhawks along with a 2nd round pick in exchange for the Brent Seabrook contract.  

I have no idea how that helps the Lightning.  They don't lose much salary at all, and they give up a pretty decent pick.  

Losing Gourde, Coleman, Goodrow and Johnson is really going to eat into their depth. 

4 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Evidently Tyler Johnson traded to the Blackhawks along with a 2nd round pick in exchange for the Brent Seabrook contract.  

I have no idea how that helps the Lightning.  They don't lose much salary at all, and they give up a pretty decent pick.  

Losing Gourde, Coleman, Goodrow and Johnson is really going to eat into their depth. 

Yep: https://www.si.com/hockey/news/blackhawks-acquire-tyler-johnson-trade-seabrooks-contract?fbclid=IwAR2a789I7UvZ0aBnha2ukTIA5wsZFP2GWJy0L9poL-9LG7G0p0kmRfByMks