2021 Around The League Thread

Satans Hockey

Without the scoring palms isn’t nowhere close to palms who deserve this money. And he didn’t use his shot last year. Maybe two or three time in entire season. May be he has some back or shoulder injury. But this is a big sign to not sign him on that kind of deal. Even if he will return to use his shot, injury precedent is a stop lock to sign him long term.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2021 at 11:08 AM, DevsMan84 said:

I figured this was worth nothing outside the thread in the Marketplace.

So this year the NHL is making a change to the actual materials of the on-ice jersey.  They are switching from the current material to the Parley material that was worn during the All-Star game a couple years back in San Jose.  The material is either totally or partially made from recycled materials and falls in line with Adidas' initiative to go more green.

Now, some of you may or may not know that the on-ice MiC jerseys the players wear are actually quite a bit different than the ones Adidas sells to the public as "Authentic" which are made in Indonesia and made out of completely different materials that were called both AeroReady and Climalite (same thing they just changed names a couple years back).  The new "Authentics" Adidas will be selling to the public are going to be called PrimeGreen and apparently also with recycled material.  Below is an example of Adidas starting to sell Vegas jerseys using this branding.

This is also largely the reason why the past year or so Adidas has been dumping a lot of jerseys to discount retailers like Ross, TJ Maxx, etc.

https://www.adidas.com/us/golden-knights-home-authentic-jersey/GT5633.html

I own a couple of the Red Bulls Parley jerseys. The league has been making them for a few years now and the entire league wears them for a game one weekend. The only difference is that they are always in either like a black/blue/white versions but that's more to call attention to keeping our oceans clean with their for the oceans campaign . I like the cause so I always buy them but I generally hate the color blue since I've been conditioned to hate that color lol They fit and feel very well though and I'd never guess they were made from some plastic thrown into the ocean. My only complaint is that they never seem to make enough of them so they can be a pain to get them, we all know there's plenty of plastic in the ocean so it shouldn't be difficult to make more. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

9 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

So, unless the Islanders still have a move up their sleeve... why all this secrecy? And why was it released now? What changed exactly?

Yeah this whole thing was weird...given the fact that it was obvious that ALL of those players were coming back (they'd be looking for offers elsewhere otherwise), it was the worst-kept secret that they were staying with the Isles.  And even if the exact terms weren't disclosed right away, most GMs could do the math by approximating the values of each signing...at which point it would become clear that Lou's going to be up against it, as far as the cap goes.  And his team is currently over:

New York Islanders Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

And I know the Islanders have gone deep into the playoffs the past couple of seasons, but that roster seems overpaid for what it is.  And a lot of guys are locked up long-term.    

11 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

So, unless the Islanders still have a move up their sleeve... why all this secrecy? And why was it released now? What changed exactly?

The only thing I could think of is trying to keep the cards close to the vest for a Tarasenko deal but that doesn't even make much sense. It looks like Lou being all secretive for the sake of being all secretive. 

Dude lives in a James Bond world. 

Additional theory... Lou doesn't believe in fax machines or email so he sent the contracts to the  league via carrier tortoise (because he doesn't trust those new fangled pigeons)

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Additional theory... Lou doesn't believe in fax machines or email so he sent the contracts to the  league via carrier tortoise (because he doesn't trust those new fangled pigeons)

Alternate theory: he looks exactly like a carrier tortoise himself so it’s probably his relative. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

I own a couple of the Red Bulls Parley jerseys. The league has been making them for a few years now and the entire league wears them for a game one weekend. The only difference is that they are always in either like a black/blue/white versions but that's more to call attention to keeping our oceans clean with their for the oceans campaign . I like the cause so I always buy them but I generally hate the color blue since I've been conditioned to hate that color lol They fit and feel very well though and I'd never guess they were made from some plastic thrown into the ocean. My only complaint is that they never seem to make enough of them so they can be a pain to get them, we all know there's plenty of plastic in the ocean so it shouldn't be difficult to make more. 

I have a few shirts from Banana Republic that were on a steep discount (like $10) and are made from 4 recycled water bottles each,. They're honestly some of the most comfortable shirts I own, FWIW

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Kinda surprised they don't try to upgrade the arena in Tuscon and move the Yotes there: Big military base, good economy (from what I little I know) and a lot of retirees from the Air Force tend to head there.

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/nhl-to-punish-unvaccinated-players-more-harshly-this-season?fbclid=IwAR3RjAEU9NmSk1s19v2V_wn_ig88kXdF6HKwcbm14VvqhBu7OpqJu70r6-4

2 hours ago, jagknife said:

Kinda surprised they don't try to upgrade the arena in Tuscon and move the Yotes there: Big military base, good economy (from what I little I know) and a lot of retirees from the Air Force tend to head there.

They need to be moved to Houston or Quebec. Enough of this sh!t. It doesn’t work there. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/projecting-team-canadas-2022-olympic-mens-hockey-roster/

Cool to see Blackwood getting some love and some people projecting him on team Canada for the olympics. Im not sure about that but still cool

I could see it. It’ll probably be Price, MAF, and probably someone like Blackwood or Hart as the 3rd. EDIT: forgot about Binnington, can’t really go wrong with him either.

Edited by MadDog2020

13 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I could see it. It’ll probably be Price, MAF, and probably someone like Blackwood or Hart as the 3rd. EDIT: forgot about Binnington, can’t really go wrong with him either.

I wanna see how Binnington bounces back after a pretty pedestrian season for his first full in an uncontested net plus without the Cup hangover. I also think if Mac can't beat out Hart at this point, then he's regressing, much to our dismay. Not to discredit Hart, but I think last year Mac passed him

• Like 1

Will be interesting to see who can make it to the olympics for us.

I think Nico, Zacha, Tatar will make their team for sure, mostly cause their teams aren't too deep.

Hamilton should be in the discussion for team Canada but i wouldn't say he's making it for sure. Team Canada is going to be ridiculous.

Blackwood could make a case for the 3rd spot maybe. I assume the goalies for Canada will be between Fleury, Binnington, Price, Blackwood and Hart.

Siegenthaler... who knows.

Jack Hughes, i don't think so at this point but say he's having a very very good season maybe he could get into the conversation. IF Eichel can't play it would obviously help his chances.

2 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Will be interesting to see who can make it to the olympics for us.

I think Nico, Zacha, Tatar will make their team for sure, mostly cause their teams aren't too deep.

Hamilton should be in the discussion for team Canada but i wouldn't say he's making it for sure. Team Canada is going to be ridiculous.

Blackwood could make a case for the 3rd spot maybe. I assume the goalies for Canada will be between Fleury, Binnington, Price, Blackwood and Hart.

Jack Hughes, i don't think so at this point but say he's having a very very good season maybe he could get into the conversation. IF Eichel can't play it would obviously help his chances.

Bratt will probably have a good chance at making team Sweden. 

29 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Bratt will probably have a good chance at making team Sweden. 

Well i'd love him too but unless he has a craaazy year i dont think he will. There's a lof of guys who can play wing on that team with Petterson, Landeskog, Forsberg, Nylander, Nyquist, Arvidsson, lindholm, william karlsson, burakovsky, hornqvist, eriksson ek, etc

I see Bratt on par with guys like Rakkel,  Silfverberg and backlund maybe fighting for a spot but not sure there's room

3 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

In all seriousness, really? Are the Swiss that bad? They can't find 6-8 better than this guy to represent their country?  Imma go with a it's a no, he's not there without buying a ticket to get in.  But I've been wrong before.

22 minutes ago, titans04 said:

In all seriousness, really? Are the Swiss that bad? They can't find 6-8 better than this guy to represent their country?  Imma go with a it's a no, he's not there without buying a ticket to get in.  But I've been wrong before.

yeah i'm definitely not expecting him to make but like i said, who knows

• Like 1