GDT4: *PLEASE LET IT BE SCHNEIDER IN NET* Edition - Devils @ ISLANDERS - 7 PM - MSG+, MSG+2

Devs3cups

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

The only issue with Ty is his size. He got pushed around a bit tonight, and twice was unable to hold the point because he has no reach. Aside from that, I’m really encouraged. I think he’s a way better version of Butcher and that’s why Will is still watching hockey instead of playing hockey. 

Rafalski did alright for himself at that size. In a much more physical era, too. Ty actually reminds me a bit of him. 

• Like 3

Don't be shocked if a couple guys get a wake up call.  (healthy scratch) I like how he's using his 4th line whenever the hell he wants.  Gusev imo was on wrong side on PP last night.  Sharangovich & Boquist didn't give us anything. 

Honestly, I'll take losses like last night.  They weren't pretty, but at least at times the Devils looked like they belonged on the ice.  Unlike many, many games last year..

I'll tell ya what though, Palms is itching for a healthy scratch when Nico/Bratt return.  He's been awful.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Honestly, I'll take losses like last night.  They weren't pretty, but at least at times the Devils looked like they belonged on the ice.  Unlike many, many games last year..

I'll tell ya what though, Palms is itching for a healthy scratch when Nico/Bratt return.  He's been awful.

Every time Barzal touched the puck, all I could think was how you can’t use the 6th pick on him lol. 

• Like 1

I almost had a heart attack when I first read Blackwood on IR. Hopefully he recovers fast, if he has any symptoms at all.

Can't win all the games as much as I would like.

Also, I'm happy to see Wedgewood back in the organization after we dumped him a while back, he's definitely put in his time in the minors for us.

13 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Goose trying to be a little too fancy with all the toe drags.

Just shoot the puck, bud

On a PP!!!! Why in the world would you do that.. And they were forcing him the puck. Just bad

On a different note, at least we don't have to protect ok from expansion

Edited by EdgeControl
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Give him some more games...still very early (ditto Goose).  I know he's quickly becoming the latest whipping boy, and he has been largely terrible to start this season...but he came into this season averaging 30 G per 82 GP as a Devil, and despite being streaky within seasons, was actually very consistent year-to-year, as far as his rate numbers go.  It's not like his overall Devil numbers were inflated by one big career year.  As bad as he has looked, I can't talk about giving up on him after just four games.

If anything, when Nico returns, maybe that gets Palms going...at least Nico is a player that Palms has a good history with.  But yeah, if he's still struggling (and then dragging down Nico), absolutely time to start to wonder what should be done with him.  I get the feeling instead of being scratched, you might see a "change of scenery" type trade, where he's moved for someone who's had also success in the past, but is also playing well below expectations.  The irony in that is that I think Palms absolutely wants to stay here, but if it indeed turns out that he's on an early decline path (we don't know this yet, but until we see him bounce back, it can't fully be ruled out either), there's no longer any reason to keep him.  Given his age, if he shows that he can still be the player of the past 5 seasons (30 G and 26 A per 82 GP), I'd consider extending him for 2-3 years (that would take him to his Age 32 or 33 season...he'll turn 30 on 2/1)...given the current environment, I don't think the AAV will be outrageous (and the Devils will have cap space galore anyway).  But no longer than 3 years (I'd prefer two)...if someone wants to go 4+ years, soyonara Kyle.      

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Give him some more games...still very early (ditto Goose).  I know he's quickly becoming the latest whipping boy, and he has been largely terrible to start this season...but he came into this season averaging 30 G per 82 GP as a Devil, and despite being streaky within seasons, was actually very consistent year-to-year, as far as his rate numbers go.  It's not like his overall Devil numbers were inflated by one big career year.  As bad as he has looked, I can't talk about giving up on him after just four games.

If anything, when Nico returns, maybe that gets Palms going...at least Nico is a player that Palms has a good history with.  But yeah, if he's still struggling (and then dragging down Nico), absolutely time to start to wonder what should be done with him.  I get the feeling instead of being scratched, you might see a "change of scenery" type trade, where he's moved for someone who's had also success in the past, but is also playing well below expectations.  The irony in that is that I think Palms absolutely wants to stay here, but if it indeed turns out that he's on an early decline path (we don't know this yet, but until we see him bounce back, it can't fully be ruled out either), there's no longer any reason to keep him.  Given his age, if he shows that he can still be the player of the past 5 seasons (30 G and 26 A per 82 GP), I'd consider extending him for 2-3 years (that would take him to his Age 32 or 33 season...he'll turn 30 on 2/1)...given the current environment, I don't think the AAV will be outrageous (and the Devils will have cap space galore anyway).  But no longer than 3 years (I'd prefer two)...if someone wants to go 4+ years, soyonara Kyle.      

I totally think Palms will get it going. He's been absolutely poop so far though. Regardless, scratching him would be a bad idea-- he needs ample opportunity to bounce back for the team but also for his trade value. Scratching him tanks both. We're in unprecedented times right now. Modern athletes have never had to take breaks this long before. It might take more time than others to get going... And Palms has always been streaky anyway. 

FFS though he really needs to stop turning the puck over. 

10 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I totally think Palms will get it going. He's been absolutely poop so far though. Regardless, scratching him would be a bad idea-- he needs ample opportunity to bounce back for the team but also for his trade value. Scratching him tanks both. We're in unprecedented times right now. Modern athletes have never had to take breaks this long before. It might take more time than others to get going... And Palms has always been streaky anyway. 

That would be a hell of a start...followed by getting a lot more shots on goal.  

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Quoting this again because the bolded is fair.  This season is going to make it very hard to get a read on some players.  You may see a fair number of players in Kyle's shoes take one-year "Bet On Myself" deals, with the hopes that under more "normal" circumstances (like an 82-game season with an actual preseason), deals closer what they would've gotten in the Pre-Covid world will materialize. 

Funny thing is if Kyle turns in a subpar year here, and doesn't get traded, I can even see him signing a one-year deal like that to stay in NJ (or maybe he comes back despite being dealt, like Vats).  Even if he had a nice bounceback year, I could still see the Devils either trading him (his value would be higher), or letting him walk.  As nice as it is to have vets around who've been with the team for several years, more and more it's just feeling like that if Palms has productive years left, they're not going to line up with the Devils' current timeline.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

21 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Quoting this again because the bolded is fair.  This season is going to make it very hard to get a read on some players.  You may see a fair number of players in Kyle's shoes take one-year "Bet On Myself" deals, with the hopes that under more "normal" circumstances (like an 82-game season with an actual preseason), deals closer what they would've gotten in the Pre-Covid world will materialize. 

Funny thing is if Kyle turns in a subpar year here, and doesn't get traded, I can even see him signing a one-year deal like that to stay in NJ (or maybe he comes back despite being dealt, like Vats).  Even if he had a nice bounceback year, I could still see the Devils either trading him (his value would be higher), or letting him walk.  As nice as it is to have vets around who've been with the team for several years, more and more it's just feeling like that if Palms has productive years left, they're not going to line up with the Devils' current timeline.   

It'd be fitting since I just got his Military Night jersey as a gift for Christmas :argh:

This is why I cant have nice jerseys....

23 minutes ago, jagknife said:

It'd be fitting since I just got his Military Night jersey as a gift for Christmas :argh:

At least you don’t have a Cinco Domingo military jersey like someone else does. 

50609894346_791d4341a2_b.jpg

Edited by mfitz804
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, jagknife said:

It is a pregame worn?  Or off the rack?  (just curious)

I have an absurd amount of Palms GWs...but he did enough here that if he’s dealt or leaves, I wouldn’t feel weird about still wearing those jerseys to games.  

44 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I have an absurd amount of Palms GWs...but he did enough here that if he’s dealt or leaves, I wouldn’t feel weird about still wearing those jerseys to games.  

I actually didn’t even realize that was jagknife, when I saw it was a Palmieri I kind of assumed it was you lol. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I actually didn’t even realize that was jagknife, when I saw it was a Palmieri I kind of assumed it was you lol. 

I wonder why...heh heh

7 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Think its an authentic off the rack, I didnt ask