GDT: Philly @ Devils-round 2: 7:00 PM MSG+

MadDog2020

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The big question with some of these kids is can they build off what they’ve done, in the seasons to come?  Smith, Hughes, and Hischier I believe in.  I think Blackwood will have a solid season next year too.  Guys like Sharangovich, Kuokkanen and others...we’ll see.  Fingers crossed.

Indeed. I'm enthused about Sharangovich, I think he's for real, but time will tell. 

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Yah McCleod and Zacha appearing to be actually NHL players suddenly is a big help and encouraging.

And Kuokkanen that we got for nothing i also a welcome addition

I forgot to mention Zacha, he has made a huge jump from where he had been.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

Indeed. I'm enthused about Sharangovich, I think he's for real, but time will tell. 

I would love to pencil him in as 3rd line wing with the ability to slide up as needed going forward. That shot alone is a skill set we desperately lack as currently constructed.   

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, SeanMac16 said:

I literally just logged in to comment this haha. Probably not too happy with the trade I'm sure.

Idk about that. Zajac asked for the trade, so I’d hope Nico (and the rest of the guys) are happy for him. 

6 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Yah McCleod and Zacha appearing to be actually NHL players suddenly is a big help and encouraging.

And Kuokkanen that we got for nothing i also a welcome addition

Zacha was always an NHL player. I don’t think even his biggest critics would have suggested otherwise his first few years. 

Anyway, glad we finally snapped the losing streak. Would like to see a couple good games from Blackwood to end the season out though. Not saying I’m worried about him or anything, but it would be nice to see him finish out strong. 

1 minute ago, Lateralous said:

I would love to pencil him in as 3rd line wing with the ability to slide up as needed going forward. That shot alone is a skill set we desperately lack as currently constructed.   

He can play in all situations, too. And by the way, I think Jack should be killing penalties, but Lindy Ruff didn't ask me.

37 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Zacha was always an NHL player. I don’t think even his biggest critics would have suggested otherwise his first few years. 

I feel like this was directed toward me, so...

As founder and CEO of “Almost”, I would remind everyone that the whole reason he earned that nickname was because he always appeared to be on the cusp of something. “Almost” getting the job done. It was never about whether he was “almost” an NHL player, that was a given. 

I’m happy to see that he has continued to develop. Still not what some expect with the 6th overall pick, I guess, but I think he will be a solid supporting player going forward. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Probably Sami Vatanen’s best contribution as a Devil 🤣

Eh, he was pretty good for us in 2018. 28 points in 57 GP. I don’t think they make the playoffs that year without that trade. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Eh, he was pretty good for us in 2018. 28 points in 57 GP. I don’t think they make the playoffs that year without that trade. 

True. But getting Kuokkanen for what turned out to be a handful of games of Vatanen was a shrewd move by Fitz.

• Like 1

Listening to Chico last night he said  Blackwood sh>t the bed on a few goals last night. That should've been saves. Going down too early, being back too far in his net, pushing off w/ his stick. At times makes amazing saves, misses on routine shots occasionally. He should play every game down the stretch, unless maybe back to back? Play two good periods, then get shaky?

1 hour ago, vadvlfan said:

Listening to Chico last night he said  Blackwood sh>t the bed on a few goals last night. That should've been saves. Going down too early, being back too far in his net, pushing off w/ his stick. At times makes amazing saves, misses on routine shots occasionally. He should play every game down the stretch, unless maybe back to back? Play two good periods, then get shaky?

The last goal I thought was possibly a little soft - the shot from far out - he had what appeared to be lots of time to see it, but then again there could have been a screen in between that I didn't notice, and it was also a bit of a fluky puck that caught him just above the shoulder in the corner of the net, so it's kinda hard to fault him for that.  I think it was also their second or third goal where they stuffed in that rebound right around the crease....you could tell he looked behind him and also tried to slide/swipe his feet to stop it from trickling through, but I put it on the defense for basically allowing the Flyers to have SEVERAL cracks at it - leading up to that play you could actually see that Blackwood made, quite literally, 3-4 (maybe more) saves before they finally stuffed it in.  

4 goals isn't what you want to see your goaltender allow, but of those 4, I think at least 2 or 3 of them you could argue weren't really his fault.  He's not blameless of course, but I think with a better defense he'd be pretty solid, night in and night out.  

Blackwood did indeed have a very shaky game.  He keeps doing this cycle of 5-10 games of shaky play and then 5-10 games of brilliance.  His big goal for next season is consistency.  A competent backup will go a long way, but the market goalies next season is looking a little thin.  I guess Ullmark is the best of the bunch and I wouldn't mind him for a 1-2 year deal.  As an aside, I am still a bit annoyed at Crawford at how it went down with him retiring (not the reasons why, but how he did it).

From the eye test, the Maltsev line fared poorly last night.  I thought the other 3 lines played well.

Severson had yet another tough game.  Same with Tennyson (though that save in the last minute redeemed him a little bit).

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

True. But getting Kuokkanen for what turned out to be a handful of games of Vatanen was a shrewd move by Fitz.

It was a handful of games for them. It was zero games for us, he was injured and couldn’t play anyway. We got Kuokkanen for Vatanen sitting in their press box rather than ours. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Blackwood did indeed have a very shaky game.  He keeps doing this cycle of 5-10 games of shaky play and then 5-10 games of brilliance.  His big goal for next season is consistency.  A competent backup will go a long way, but the market goalies next season is looking a little thin.  I guess Ullmark is the best of the bunch and I wouldn't mind him for a 1-2 year deal.  As an aside, I am still a bit annoyed at Crawford at how it went down with him retiring (not the reasons why, but how he did it).

Upgrading the defense will help him with that as well. Would be nice for him to know that he can possibly be bailed out at times instead of feeling all alone out there. Tennyson’s effort last night notwithstanding, of course. 

4 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

I love how Chico calls it like he sees it.

Eh, I stand by what I said. I never saw anyone suggesting he didn’t even look like an NHL player. What I saw was a lot of frustration over his underwhelming start in relation to where he was drafted (and who went after him). 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Eh, I stand by what I said. I never saw anyone suggesting he didn’t even look like an NHL player. What I saw was a lot of frustration over his underwhelming start in relation to where he was drafted (and who went after him). 

Who went after him?

30 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Provorov was the very next pick. But assuming the Devils were going forward; Rantanen, Barzal, Connor...

Sorry, I was just being facetious.  For those first few years more than recently, but not much,  anytime you would mention Zacha, someone would list all of the players picked after.

23 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Sorry, I was just being facetious.  For those first few years more than recently, but not much,  anytime you would mention Zacha, someone would list all of the players picked after.

I should have realized that...

image.gif.49edd893b5e6d91ec485b6e5207168b8.gif

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Provorov was the very next pick. But assuming the Devils were going forward; Rantanen, Barzal, Connor...

The Bruins still own the king fvckup of that draft by a long shot with the three straight first round picks that they used to not draft any of Barzal, Conner, or Chabot. It would be talked about a lot more if they weren’t a perennial Cup contender.