1. 1. Who do you want at #4?

• Luke Hughes
    • Brandt Clarke
    • William Eklund
    • Matthew Beniers
    • Simon Edvinsson
    • Other

9 hours ago, MB3 said:

he’d still be considered a top-5 pick and i’d still want him or clarke.

but the reality is, his name is Luke Hughes. there’s proof that there is stupid skill attached to the Hughes name, and many scouts say he’s the best of the three. Devils fans have dealt with favorite players leaving to be closer to family, etc. 

if he’s available, you have to take him. if he AND power are available, you have to take power and trade the islanders pick, next year’s 1st and whatever else you can to get back up there and take him too. 

I am not into drafting a guy just because he is related to another guy. But, if scouts are in fact saying he is the best of the 3, that’s be good enough for me. 

But I can’t see them picking Luke AND then trading up to get Power? That’s some real wishful thinking. 

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

Most likely it will come down to Clarke vs Hughes and between those two I would rather take Clarke.  He just seems like the player with the bigger upside and strengths than Hughes.

Also, I really hate the idea of having to take a player just because his brother plays for us and the fear of losing him to another team.  Most indications point to Luke not going to Vancouver, so at worst each brother will be on a different team.  The only scenario then I could see that Jack leaves is if NJ is in the worst shape out of the three teams with a brother.  If that's the case in the likely 5-10 years from now when Jack is a UFA then that's a much bigger issue than having him leave.

Also both players have a brother in the organization. One is just a bigger deal than the other lol

As for the brother leaving thing. And not to start a big thing. But we don't have a GM who constantly and systematically let all our top guys walk straight into free agency anymore. So i doubt we'd lose Jack for nothing anyway, he'll be signed and locked up for sure by then.

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Also both players have a brother in the organization. One is just a bigger deal than the other lol

As for the brother leaving thing. And not to start a big thing. But we don't have a GM who constantly and systematically let all our top guys walk straight into free agency anymore. So i doubt we'd lose Jack for nothing anyway, he'll be signed and locked up for sure by then.

I can't find the gif, but just imagine that I posted the scene from Super Troopers where Farva says shenanigans and Torny and Mac hold out their pistols.

15 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I just don't think worrying about what may happen that far off into the future should affect our decisions now.  I get that the cap has made teams think about the future more often, but even teams that are pushed against the cap wall seem to find their way out more times than not.

5 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I just don't think worrying about what may happen that far off into the future should affect our decisions now.  I get that the cap has made teams think about the future more often, but even teams that are pushed against the cap wall seem to find their way out more times than not.

yeah well even with the cap being a problem. We as fans often look at teams like... Tampa and go like "ha there's no way they can keep this top guy they wont be able to keep it."

We  see it like that cause we want him to leave but in reality, those teams would trade or sacrifice a bottom 6 players so they can keep their big guy obviously

• Like 1

A guy possibly staying or going 8 years from now should not affect any of our decisions now. I'm assuming Power will be gone and I'm fine with either Clarke or Hughes, whichever our scouting dept thinks is best. 

If Jack is unhappy in 8 years, he will do what is best for him regardless of where his brother is.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

I'm very curious to know what would be the overall perception of Luke if he was like... Luke Donovan... and not Jack and Quinn's brother.

But Luke Donovan would have less of an impact on keeping Jack Hughes in NJ.    The Niedermeyer wound will be eternal...   I wouldn't draft Luke if he was in a different tier, but same tier, I'll take him.

From the reports I've read there's not a whole lot of difference between Clarke and Hughes at the moment. I'd probably pick Clarke but to be honest I'd be happy with either.

Could be neither of them are there at #4. That'll cause a meltdown.

34 minutes ago, MB3 said:

what sport have you been watching where it takes 8 years for unhappy players to force themselves out? 

Laine, PLD in this season *alone* 

So 3 years, 4 years. I was just going by when Jack would hit free agency. The bottom line is at the draft they need to do what's best for the team. If they feel Clarke is the better player, that's who they should pick. I personally prefer Luke but I'm going off of his ranking, the fact that he's favorably compared to his brothers, and that he seems to have a high ceiling. If they feel both players are equal and the tie breaker is that he's Jack's brother, then of course they should go for it

And for all we know, they decide one of the forwards is what they want. 

4 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

In fairness, Fitz has been on the job for less than two full seasons...let me see what he does if (hopefully when) the time comes when he thinks he has a team that is a legit Cup contender, and thinks his absolute best shot is to win is with guys who might indeed leave via UFA, even if he can't get them signed ahead of time and there's a good chance that yes, they might very well leave for nothing.  Not debating MO or right or wrong or proper asset management, just saying that the Devils have been a complete non-contender so far in Fitz's short time here as the GM.  Hopefully we get to find out what he'd do, because if we're debating whether or not the Devils should trade off potentially departing assets despite the team looking like it has a real chance to win a championship, they'll have come a long way indeed.  But no one will know how Fitz would handle that situation until he's actually IN that situation (and that's my only point here).  I vote for just being in that situation at this point.  

3 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

yeah well even with the cap being a problem. We as fans often look at teams like... Tampa and go like "ha there's no way they can keep this top guy they wont be able to keep it."

We  see it like that cause we want him to leave but in reality, those teams would trade or sacrifice a bottom 6 players so they can keep their big guy obviously

Yep.  And they wind up trading those expendables to the Devils.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

7 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

So 3 years, 4 years. I was just going by when Jack would hit free agency. The bottom line is at the draft they need to do what's best for the team. If they feel Clarke is the better player, that's who they should pick. I personally prefer Luke but I'm going off of his ranking, the fact that he's favorably compared to his brothers, and that he seems to have a high ceiling. If they feel both players are equal and the tie breaker is that he's Jack's brother, then of course they should go for it

And for all we know, they decide one of the forwards is what they want. 

Things is all rankings are absolutely all over the place. Some have Brandt before Hughes too.

The big thing is for me that Brandt doesn't have as much stuff to work on than Hughes. Many scouts said Luke can really get lost in his zone and make very bad decisions. Some learn and some doesn't. We have many vets on our team right now who clearly never learned

15 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

In fairness, Fitz has been on the job for less than two full seasons...let me see what he does if (hopefully when) the time comes when he thinks he has a team that is a legit Cup contender, and thinks his absolute best shot is to win is with guys who might indeed leave via UFA, even if he can't get them signed ahead of time and there's a good chance that yes, they might very well leave for nothing.  Not debating MO or right or wrong or proper asset management, just saying that the Devils have been a complete non-contender so far in Fitz's short time here as the GM.  Hopefully we get to find out what he'd do, because if we're debating whether or not the Devils should trade off potentially departing assets despite the team looking like it has a real chance to win a championship, they'll have come a long way indeed.  But no one will know how Fitz would handle that situation until he's actually IN that situation (and that's my only point here).  I vote for just being in that situation at this point.  

Fitz and Ownership will proudly proclaim how they "weaponized cap space" by taking another team's most expendable player for yet another year.

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

Fitz and Ownership will proudly proclaim how they "weaponized cap space" by taking another team's most expendable player for yet another year.

Hopefully not.  Fingers crossed.

19 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The difference is... literally any GM outside of the one we had actually assess the situation and make an educated decision vs just doing things his way "just because". So when i say im glad we have a GM who will do that, i just mean that we don't have a GM who systematically let every top players walk into free agency

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

The difference is... literally any GM outside of the one we had actually assess the situation and make an educated decision vs just doing things his way "just because". So when i say im glad we have a GM who will do that, i just mean that we don't have a GM who systematically let every top players walk into free agency

I'll give you that there may not be a less shy seller than Fitz...and that he does a good job in getting pieces back.  

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Do we even have “many vets”?

okay i'll drop names. How many times did you curse at your tv watching Subban or Severson being insanely out of position or making a bonehead play that you should know by age 22 not to do?

19 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Owen Power will assuredly be gone by #4, but it’s probably wide open after that. Who do you prefer? 

A couple months ago I saw a draft article that had Power going sixth, if memory serves.  I was surprised, but I am holding out hope that if he is the guy the FO wants that he will be there at number four.  As much as I like the other players—there are some awesome defensemen this year—Power’s sheer size combined with potential talent makes me enthused.  I would love for the Devils to have the next Zdeno Chara (well, mini-Chara...) or, at the least, a defensemen who can turn a game around.  once upon a time we were really spoiled having two HoF dmen who could do that exactly: they could change a game in a moment.  We need that again.

Then again, having two HoF defensemen would be better, eh?  You heard me FO, be sure to draft only HoF players from here on, okay?  I don’t know why they didn’t think of that before....

12 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

okay i'll drop names. How many times did you curse at your tv watching Subban or Severson being insanely out of position or making a bonehead play that you should know by age 22 not to do?

Most night. But that’s two guys.