The New Jersey Devils 2021-22 Regular Season Thread

mfitz804

Subban’s Devils days hopefully end around the deadline at best, and this offseason at worst.  

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

lets remember subban is a 3rd pairing D man. with 14 pt and a 0 p/m. no prob with a cheap extend.  just pair him with a big who can clear the front of the net, jaros???

its our second pairing that will need help, who will help seigenthaler get the puck exited.

He has 20 PIM. And it honestly should be A LOT more with all the slew foots. 

14 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

He has 20 PIM. And it honestly should be A LOT more with all the slew foots. 

That’s my biggest issue with PK, if he’d stop being such a dirty fvckboi, I’d be perfectly okay on a short low cost deal, but he averages a slew foot every 10 game which puts literally everyone else at risk cause he won’t fight for himself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

The only reason i'm kind of glad were out of the playoffs picture is cause then we won't have to hear arguments about how we should keep Subban around cause "once you're in you never know"

No. We know. We know damn well. 

We still have a very long shot at the playoffs

We need a goalie. Imagine how different things would be if we had a goalie

33 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

We still have a very long shot at the playoffs

It still doesn't mean we should stick with Subban because of it. Don't get me started on that lol

If we can get something for him. We have to

6 minutes ago, MB3 said:

what would those arguments be? 

“once you’re in, you never know — he might give up a game winner because he’s slow and untalented!” 

you and i fight about everything but it’s impossible to say you didn’t warn us about him. i wonder if even you pictured he’d be THIS useless.

To be honest and hell i've been trying to be fair and gave him credits when it was due (its just rare). But when we traded for him. I did say that we'd have to deal with a LOT of sh!t. (i meant the terrible positioning, bad defensive play, selfish plays, slewfoot, dirty plays, bad decisions, potential problem in the locker room, etc etc) but i did say that he should at least bring a decent amount of production and that we needed that, so wtv.

So even the one thing i tried to give him credit for he failed me lol

At the very least it doesn't appear like he was a problem in the locker room. But then.. was he really or we just didn't see it cause the Devils reporting is basically inexistant and i think we know that even if something happen that the team wouldnt let Amanda or wtv report it. So who knows, i,ll give him the benefit of the doubt that he finally matured a bit since i have no proof that he was indeed a problem. Contrary to a mountain of proofs in MTL lol

Edited by SterioDesign

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

by all accounts he’s been nothing but an excellent locker room presence and strong member of the community since being brought here, that’s undeniable. 

the on-ice stuff has been atrocious.

i did edit my post to say something about that haha

And yes, it sure appears like that. But again, it also "appeared" like that in MTL say we wouldnt have seen all the other stuff and heard from people close to him reporting about it. 

I think that we have a very very young thing helps. The shenanigans that subban pulled off constantly appeared to be mostly stuff that would get on veterans nerves.

Edited by SterioDesign

14 minutes ago, MB3 said:

“once you’re in, you never know — he might give up a game winner because he’s slow and untalented!” 

you and i fight about everything but it’s impossible to say you didn’t warn us about him. i wonder if even you pictured he’d be THIS useless.

Once you’re in, you never know, someone may need to sweep the leg. 

when you're getting paid 9M and performing at the level he has been on the ice the least you can do is be a model citizen in the locker room. I'd be the happiest guy in there every day too. 

Has there ever been a Devils dman  harder on the end boards and glass with their shot in the team's history. 

1 minute ago, titans04 said:

when you're getting paid 9M and performing at the level he has been on the ice the least you can do is be a model citizen in the locker room. I'd be the happiest guy in there every day too. 

Has there ever been a Devils dman  harder on the end boards and glass with their shot in the team's history. 

Imagine if he didn’t fan on half of his attempts…

40 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Also i was not projecting lol

This is a conversation i had on here not long ago. I forgot who but someone made the argument that if we were close that we had to keep him. Forgot the argument, but one was made lol 

1 hour ago, CarpathianForest said:

I don't buy this at all.  The league is vastly different than it was 20-30 years ago when there were goalies who were stalwarts night in and night out, making it easy for their team and the guys in front of them. (Guys like Brodeur, Roy, Hasek, Belfour, Joseph, etc).  Now, the league is full of guys who "1A/1B" simply because they aren't good enough to be the clear cut number one.  In recent memory the only guys who I can think of that are even close to that would have been Luongo who's retired now, and Fleury who is close to it.  Outside of them, the talent at the goaltending position has been extremely poor over the last 10-20 years, which is why you see guys who basically hop from team to team every couple years.  

Look at the stats for this season.  These are the top 10 goalies in save % with a minimum of 10 games played so far this season:

Igor Shesterkin (he looks like he could be great, but too early to tell)

Jack Campbell (he was terrible on LA, that's why they let him go)

Tristan Jarry (he had quite possibly one of the worst playoff rounds I've ever seen last year or the year before when he got smoked in the first round)

Frederik Anderson (the very definition of a mediocre goalie)

Juuse Saros (average at best)

Illya Sorokin (same as above, though he's younger and probably has more potential)

Jacob Markstrom (average)

Andrei Vasilevskiy (ok, he's great and actually had a lot of playoff success)

Johnathan Quick (used to be good, now he's getting old)

Sergei Bobrovsky (same as Quick, to a lesser extent)

Literally the only goalies in the entire league that scare me or when I see them on the schedule I say "Ok, it's gonna be tough to score tonight" are Vasi and Shesterkin.  Everyone else is average and I feel like we have a fair chance of scoring against them.  And that's saying something because our team isn't exactly full of offensive juggernauts.