The New Jersey Devils 2021-22 Regular Season Thread

mfitz804

2 hours ago, DevilMinder said:

You did post it, but to bring it up in an e-argument is a line that shouldn't be crossed. His account is suspended till after the season.

You are way too nice. Should have been permanent. But it’s your site. 

Anyway, imagine actually using +/- as your sole argument against a forward in 2022… 

I just can’t :lol:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Thanks for this, its way too easy when everything is going wrong on the team to just focus on the results.

You forget that at the end of the day these are people trying their best. Lindy is probably losing more sleep than us over the way the team is playing. He is just a guy at the end of the day trying to do his job and dealing with life at the same time. 

Whatever happens going forward I hope he is treated with respect and his situation is handled with some class, because he has always come across as a good guy. 

I like Lindy and think he’s just been saddled with two worthless assistant coaches and GM. The players also seem to like him. He wouldn’t be first on my list of staff to fire. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

If I recall the last time I read our stats, all of our players are minus men. 

41 minutes ago, MB3 said:

if there’s a player on the devils who isn’t, that probably means they have a total of 4 minutes of ice time lmao

Bratt is the only player who isn’t. And he’s at an even 0. 

Anyway, just google +/- outdated metric and you will see about 50 different articles on why it’s the most useless stat in all of hockey.

This one in particular gives a good breakdown as to why:

https://hockey-graphs.com/2016/11/01/behind-the-numbers-why-plusminus-is-the-worst-statistic-in-hockey-and-should-be-abolished/

1 hour ago, devlman said:

I like Lindy and think he’s just been saddled with two worthless assistant coaches and GM. The players also seem to like him. He wouldn’t be first on my list of staff to fire. 

I think Lindy might be a decent assistant coach. Although Rag fans weren’t fond of him apparently.

3 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Bratt is the only player who isn’t. And he’s at an even 0. 

Anyway, just google +/- outdated metric and you will see about 50 different articles on why it’s the most useless stat in all of hockey.

This one in particular gives a good breakdown as to why:

https://hockey-graphs.com/2016/11/01/behind-the-numbers-why-plusminus-is-the-worst-statistic-in-hockey-and-should-be-abolished/

It’s a stupid individual statistic because a guy can get a plus while standing at center ice jerking off if his team happens to score while he’s doing it, and minuses work the same way. 

7 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The main problem with this gag is that he has a much better chance of breaking his stick and/or missing the net than he does hitting a teeny weeny target.

I guess after this, he gets to slewfoot Wee Man?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The main problem with this gag is that he has a much better chance of breaking his stick and/or missing the net than he does hitting a teeny weeny target.

I guess after this, he gets to slewfoot Wee Man?  

Was going to say I have visions of that shot hitting the end boards ,rebounding and smacking Chris Pontius in the face. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

“PK Subban Slapshot take 76. Try to get it near the net PK. Thanks”

Seriously, of all of the NHL defensemen out there with a hard shot, PK was the best that they could come up with?  At the very least, see if Dougie might be interested first!

6 minutes ago, MB3 said:

casual hockey fans know PK subban wayyyyy more than they know dougie.

Be that as it may, Dougie has a much better chance of not causing bodily harm to the Jackass cast and crew.

3 minutes ago, eaglejelly said:

I think you missed the point of Jackass. Safety is not the primary concern.

Good point, but I don't think they realize how PK has the potential to do harm to just about everything except the back of the net, heh heh.  

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Good point, but I don't think they realize how PK has the potential to do harm to just about everything except the back of the net, heh heh.  

It took them 26,012 takes, 54 broken sticks, and 2 shattered panes of glass in the RW corner before he actually hit the "target."  Based upon the per hour ice costs, it was the most expensive scene ever filmed in Jackass history.

Edited by Chuck the Duck
  • Haha 1

The results, plus's the performances we are seeing from players who have not reached their current levels before add weight to Holtz's statement. 

Will be interesting to see if we can hold onto him if a vacancy comes up somewhere. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Promoting Dineen might not be a bad idea.

I could be totally wrong, but I have a feeling Fitz's plan might be to let Ruff and Co finish out the season, then bring up Dineen to be the new head coach (at least that would explain why Fitz never attempted to make any changes to the staff).  He's keeping Dineen in Utica right now to help the kids (some of whom, like Holtz, could be joining the big club very soon).  If that's the plan, I can live with it, as much as I hate nASS being here any longer than he already has.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MB3 said:

“this statistic is only useful when it fits my narrative” isn’t the way stats work my dude.

that was some kind of irony. I don`t need a stat to tell why we must replace them. And if I will use stats, it will be a huge book. Without +\-. Or with. It doesn`t care. Because it doesn`t change reality. Severson is useful player, but his next contract isn`t the deal we must take on our shoulders. Zacha is Zacha. I did protect him a lot, but "all good things come to end".