The New Jersey Devils 2021-22 Regular Season Thread

mfitz804

Just now, eaglejelly said:

Was just about to post this.  Guy is 27 and has 13 GP up in the NHL for his career.  He's little more than a warm body, but I get it.  

17 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

2018-19:  17.72%

2019-20:  17.95%

2020-21:  14.19%

2021-22:  12.00%

Yeah it wasn't good before, but at least it was "on the spectrum" bad.  Now it's rotten and trending to be...even more rotten.

Yup. Bad to worse. 

9 minutes ago, eaglejelly said:

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Was just about to post this.  Guy is 27 and has 13 GP up in the NHL for his career.  He's little more than a warm body, but I get it.  

Come on, how many more fvcking goalie pucks do I need to find this season??

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

The Fitzhog made this trade and then saw his shadow. 6 more weeks of trusting the process 

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Punxsutawney Fitz

This is really fvcking funny as hell.  Just saying.  Well done to both of ya!

Interesting the guy has played as many ECHL games and he has NHL games this season (ONE!).  Pretty sure having a pulse was the requirement in the search for a new goalie. Meet our new christmas tree, sure to be lit up every chance he gets at this level. 

who is that GIF

Edited by titans04
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Interesting the guy has played as many ECHL games and he has NHL games this season.  Pretty sure having a pulse was the requirement in the search for a new goalie. Meet our new christmas tree, sure to be lit up every chance he gets at this level. 

This is how it goes though...not like they're going to give up anything of remotely major significance for another netminder.  It does suck that the last two Plan As for the goaltending tandem went completely up in flames way too early though.  Fitz seems like he's got a bit of the Shero curse...makes mostly good moves that we all agree with, then they have some way of not working out as we'd hoped.  

11 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

fvck it. I am writing this season off. 

Gillies has to be temporary.  I'm guessing if possible, one of the two Utes will get an extended look up here (once both are healthy).  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Gillies has to be temporary.  I'm guessing if possible, one of the two Utes will get an extended look up here (once both are healthy).  

If Bernier needs hip surgery, that’s gotta be close to season ending. At that point I think from a safety and development standpoint you make a small trade for a Wedge type or let Gilles take the hits. No need letting the 2 Utes (I like that one) get beat up behind this garbage defense. 

Just now, Devil Dan 56 said:

If Bernier needs hip surgery, that’s gotta be close to season ending. At that point I think from a safety and development standpoint you make a small trade for a Wedge type or let Gilles take the hits. No need letting the 2 Utes (I like that one) get beat up behind this garbage defense. 

If there's a change to the coaching staff, and we start to see some improvement, then I definitely wouldn't be opposed to a Ute signing.  But yeah, if it's going to be a nightly trainwreck, might as well let Gillies deal with a good chunk of it.  He'll love it because he'll get more NHL time than he ever could've dreamed.  

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

This is how it goes though...not like they're going to give up anything of remotely major significance for another netminder.  It does suck that the last two Plan As for the goaltending tandem went completely up in flames way too early though.  Fitz seems like he's got a bit of the Shero curse...makes mostly good moves that we all agree with, then they have some way of not working out as we'd hoped.  

hopefully if Bernier is unable to play they can recoup his money via insurance plus with Crawford walking away he cost them nothing. I don't see how that now allows Fitz a free pass to bring in a 27 year old with under 20 games, essentially nothing but a body to plug into a  season that's already slipping away. Now if Ruff's comments were misleading and Bernier's season and long term health aren't at risk ok. That being the case I would go with the AHL guy though. Brining in a guy like this seems to be  throwing in the towel and accepting the is swirling down the drain. He's certainly a cheap ass option that's for sure.

Edited by titans04

22 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I am sure he is, we have no depth in the farm at the moment with Dawes injured .

But If Bernier is done for the year it's highly likely we have below average goaltending for the rest of the season. Given we have to go at 108 point pace to make the usual cutoff for playoffs I think it's safe to say we are done. 

27 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I am sure he is, we have no depth in the farm at the moment with Dawes injured .

But If Bernier is done for the year it's highly likely we have below average goaltending for the rest of the season. Given we have to go at 108 point pace to make the usual cutoff for playoffs I think it's safe to say we are done. 

submit season 4 GIF by Black Sails

1 hour ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Well we were below average basically already. 

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

It could be career ending…

34 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Maybe limit it to goalies that actually win a game. Should make it much easier…

Not at this point, to be honest this helps me out since I can’t find the others. 

I mailed a puck to the Rock to try to get Schmid to sign it today. Sounds like he’ll be around long enough to sign it. We’ll see. 

Friend made me aware in the 4 games he’s been to this season he’s seen 6 goalies play:

Blackwood

Gilles

Schmid

Bernier

Dawes

Wedgewood

And two of those games were wins.

Also made a good point that from ‘95 to ‘14 it was basically one goalie, this fvcking franchise has become garbage

48 minutes ago, ajsgolf said:

Friend made me aware in the 4 games he’s been to this season he’s seen 6 goalies play:

Blackwood

Gilles

Schmid

Bernier

Dawes

Wedgewood

And two of those games were wins.

Also made a good point that from ‘95 to ‘14 it was basically one goalie, this fvcking franchise has become garbage

Gillies hasn't suited up for the Devils yet.  But yeah five goalies have played for the Devils this year, which most definitely was NOT Plan A.

Just goes to show how hard it is to follow up an all-time great.  So many times, fans think that someone who can at least give you short-term success can be found without too much difficulty.  But we've seen how it works...you can get those guys who make perfect sense at the time (like Schneider), but it doesn't work out as expected.  You can have the homegrown kid who initially shows some promise (Blackwood), but before long has you wondering what his true top-end really is.  And then, having been spoiled by a guy who NEVER seemed to get hurt during his prime, you see that most goalies will succumb to injuries and missed games from time to time.

Remember when Brodeur was an automatic for so long (always for 70+ games), and we would laugh at teams like the Flyers and their revolving door of goalies?  Well that's the Devils now.  Not sure who's available in the upcoming draft, but the Devils might have to think about spending a higher pick on a goalie very soon.