Your New Jersey Devils Regular Season Thread: 2022-2023 Edition

Crisis

19 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Looks like we’ll be playing the Rags in round 1. I just can’t see Blackwood having 2 straight good games. 

I hate this and there's a part of me that wants to scream at Lindy for insisting that Deadwood somehow needs to be involved here...

...BUT, I would hate it a lot more if VV somehow got hurt tonight.  And even with a division title at stake, Washington is meh enough that maybe the Devils can beat them even with Yeller in net.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, devlman said:

Only one ny area sports team did not make the playoffs this year…

Hopefully the Devils are the ones to go deep...the Mets, Yankees, and Giants didn't do a whole lot (Yanks and Giants did advance).  I would guess that the only team really "expected" to go far (based on general perception and where the teams currently are in their competitive windows) out of the Devils, Rangers, Islanders, Nets and Knicks is the Rangers...but I'd love to see the Devils blow that right the fvck up, heh heh.

3 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Thank god the Devils are good again. The Jets make football season impossible to enjoy 

Yeah the Patriots look like they're in for a long period of mediocrity/irrelevance (just about EVERY franchise climbs in the suck barrel eventually).  The Devils turned the corner exactly at the right time.  

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah the Patriots look like they're in for a long period of mediocrity/irrelevance (just about EVERY franchise climbs in the suck barrel eventually).  The Devils turned the corner exactly at the right time.  

AA0C1BE0-BC96-4E9E-B58E-4CE9890BA93F.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

The regular season is ending so let's look forward for a second and see who might be  playing their last regular season game for the Devils.

This is a thank you for your time and I wish you all the best in your future in the NHL post, and also a guess as to what the future looks like.

I will start with the one surprise though very unlikely, but still to me at least not a slam dunk decision until I see what happenes in the playoffs.

I think MB is playing in his last game tonight, but I think there is slight chance if he plays out tonight and then has to come to the rescue in the playoffs that they could try to bring him back.

I do not see this happening but out all the other players minus one, he's the only other one who could shock me and others and return.

I will be beyond shocked if DS,MW & RG have a future after the playoffs here.

Damon was very average the first half of the season, but he's been mostly excellent with the occassional shake your head plays for months now.

He is in a great spot in the line-up playing that bottom pairing role, but he has been a big advantage to the team and I don't want to take anything from how good he has been.

Miles is gone, sorry but he has to be, even with maybe his best game since the first month the other night, I just see no way he can return. The awful penalties, the turnovers, plus the contract he will seek, it's time for him to go elsewhere.

Ryan Graves had a great first few months, I know some folks were even saying he could re-sign if the deal and terms were favorable to the Devils. The second half of the season has not been as kind, to me he's been inconsistent and outright bad at times, maybe he's banged up a bit, but I just don't see how tonight is not his last regular season game.

He will sign hopefully for him and his family a very nice deal from another team, and I thank him for helping settle the defensive corps down the last couple of years.

The one player not named I think has earned a role on next years team and that is Tatar, while I don't want him to be on the top 6, he has played great with Nico so I can't really complain when he has been so good for most of this season.

His numbers are even better than the results, so while I don't know that there is a higher ceiling in the future if he continues to play this way, he could actually see more points with a little lesser play.

I don't know what he will be looking for, but as long as he wants to be on the team, I think it's something the team should try to get done at a reasonable term.

I won't mention the pending RFA, but that obviously will be another discussion for another time.

Last game in a few hours, LFGD.

2 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Looks like we’ll be playing the Rags in round 1. I just can’t see Blackwood having 2 straight good games. 

Jeez, I was really hoping the Bruins game was the last time we would see him in a Devils jersey.   Even when he plays well, he usually finds a way to lose.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Wait. Vitek is ok, right guys?? He’s ok right??

I think it is strictly “Thank you for a great year, stay home, relax, rest up, be ready to go for Game 1.”

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think it is strictly “Thank you for a great year, stay home, relax, rest up, be ready to go for Game 1.”

I thought we were playing for a banner. If that’s the case do the same with the rest of the regulars lol

2 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Admittedly, I'm not exactly sure how we called up Schmid. Doesn't that mean someone has to be put on the IR? Usually we know it's Blackwood, but since it seems he's playing tonight, how are we carrying three goalies?

According to CapFriendly he's been called up as an Emergency Loan. Is this just a way of calling him up without having to send someone else down, or does VV have a knock?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lateralous said:

HF Boards says Marino, Palat and Graves are all scratches tonight as well.   If true, Luke Hughes will be getting decent minutes.   

I don’t agree with this at all. The friggin division is at stake here. Home ice thru the second round. And plenty of time to rest before game 1.

edit: don’t care about Palat. Forgot he was even on the team.

Edited by devlman

Yeah sorry MB, but tonight has to be the last game of your Devils career, I thought they would want Schmid to be the goalie for Utica, but let Dawes carry them, NJ needs a better backup in case of emergency happens.

Tonight was just 1 game, but if you watch Luke play and don't see the difference in skill level with Graves or Bahl and the potential he could have in helping them win in the playoffs, I don't get it.

The one thing I did not think about was the PK which Graves is a big part of, so that makes me think Bahl could be the guy to be replaced by Luke more so than RG.

He might make mistakes against the Rangers, they might cost us goals, heck it's possible he could lose them the series, but the talent is so overwhelming, I don't think you can not play him, I really don't.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Patrick Sundstrom Ghost said:

The regular season is ending so let's look forward for a second and see who might be  playing their last regular season game for the Devils.

This is a thank you for your time and I wish you all the best in your future in the NHL post, and also a guess as to what the future looks like.

I will start with the one surprise though very unlikely, but still to me at least not a slam dunk decision until I see what happenes in the playoffs.

I think MB is playing in his last game tonight, but I think there is slight chance if he plays out tonight and then has to come to the rescue in the playoffs that they could try to bring him back.

I do not see this happening but out all the other players minus one, he's the only other one who could shock me and others and return.

I will be beyond shocked if DS,MW & RG have a future after the playoffs here.

Damon was very average the first half of the season, but he's been mostly excellent with the occassional shake your head plays for months now.

He is in a great spot in the line-up playing that bottom pairing role, but he has been a big advantage to the team and I don't want to take anything from how good he has been.

Miles is gone, sorry but he has to be, even with maybe his best game since the first month the other night, I just see no way he can return. The awful penalties, the turnovers, plus the contract he will seek, it's time for him to go elsewhere.

Ryan Graves had a great first few months, I know some folks were even saying he could re-sign if the deal and terms were favorable to the Devils. The second half of the season has not been as kind, to me he's been inconsistent and outright bad at times, maybe he's banged up a bit, but I just don't see how tonight is not his last regular season game.

He will sign hopefully for him and his family a very nice deal from another team, and I thank him for helping settle the defensive corps down the last couple of years.

The one player not named I think has earned a role on next years team and that is Tatar, while I don't want him to be on the top 6, he has played great with Nico so I can't really complain when he has been so good for most of this season.

His numbers are even better than the results, so while I don't know that there is a higher ceiling in the future if he continues to play this way, he could actually see more points with a little lesser play.

I don't know what he will be looking for, but as long as he wants to be on the team, I think it's something the team should try to get done at a reasonable term.

I won't mention the pending RFA, but that obviously will be another discussion for another time.

Last game in a few hours, LFGD.

One person you need to add to this list is Sharangovich.   He pulled a disappearing act this year that would have made ‘21-‘22 Pavel Zacha blush.   

I’m sure he can get a nice deal from some bottom feeder and score 20 goals a year, but the Devils have moved passed having guys like him on the roster, especially if he’s going to be looking for a raise.  

Small sample but yeah, the kid is absolutely electric.  He’s making as solid of a case as he can to draw into the lineup.