GDT: 11/3/2022 Devils @ Oilers 9:00 pm Keep on winnin'

Colorado Rockies 1976

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I love that they are playing like this and Hughes doesn’t even look like he’s gotten started yet. I also love that Hughes hasn’t found his game yet this year and still has 10 points in 11 games. 

Yeah he just looks that little bit off.  And yeah, if this is what "Little Bit Off" Hughes is bringing numbers-wise, imagine when he's "A Lot of Bit ON".  I'm not worried about him at all (and I don't think anyone else in here is either).   

• Like 4

I didn’t stick around for the postgame, what was the update as to Blackwood’s injury? They kept saying they were waiting for word so I assume the team was completely transparent and provided a comprehensive update after I went to sleep. 

Edited by mfitz804

Just now, mfitz804 said:

I didn’t stick around for the postgame, what was the update as to Blackwood’s injury? They kept saying they were waiting for word so I assume the team was completely transparent and provided a full update after I went to sleep. 

Amanda asked Ruff and Ruff basically said (not exactly in these words) "Shaddup, maybe tomorrow."  So you assumed (😉) wrong.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I think it's important we start tempering our expectations here a little bit. I'm excited they're doing well and I'm not trying to be a debbie downer at all; this team has shown they have what it takes to compete, but I still don't think we're quite 'there' yet but goddamn it if I'm not excited for Devil's hockey again 

There’s always one 🙄… in all seriousness, I’m cautiously very optimistic at the moment, they’ve come out swinging to start the season before and a month from now we’re drowning in the toilet. However, this right here, what we’ve had the absolute pleasure of enjoying so far is something different. It just feels different, if this team can stay mostly healthy, they’re showing they can throw it down with the best of them. Now is not the time to start having doubts, believe in this team, they deserve it at the moment and they’re showing they can hang with anyone. Let’s hope this keeps going as of right now I think they’re showing they can be legitimate contenders if they can keep this going. Devils hockey seems like it’s back. 

27 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

There’s always one 🙄… in all seriousness, I’m cautiously very optimistic at the moment, they’ve come out swinging to start the season before and a month from now we’re drowning in the toilet. However, this right here, what we’ve had the absolute pleasure of enjoying so far is something different.  It just feels different, if this team can stay mostly healthy, they’re showing they can throw it down with the best of them. Now is not the time to start having doubts, believe in this team, they deserve it at the moment and they’re showing they can hang with anyone. Let’s hope this keeps going as of right now I think they’re showing they can be legitimate contenders if they can keep this going. Devils hockey seems like it’s back. 

I have no issues at all with RWTD but what I found odd about his initial "temper expectations" comment is that I didn't really see anyone making any real proclamations...mostly I saw everyone just living in the moment and enjoying seeing the team winning...especially in such memorable fashion.  I didn't even really see anyone say "Here comes the playoffs!"  I saw variations of "This team is good" and "They're turning the corner" more than anything else.

What's different is the current assistants actually bring something, the kids are settling in more and more, and Fitz is seeing some moves (especially Marino and Vanacek) pay off.  They've lost Palat (I did like that move too) and it's not even like that's hurting them at the moment.  Smith has been a borderline disaster and they've managed to minimize that too.       

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I have no issues at all with RWTD but what I found odd about his initial "temper expectations" comment is that I didn't really see anyone making any real proclamations...mostly I saw everyone just living in the moment and enjoying seeing the team winning...especially in such memorable fashion.  I didn't even really see anyone say "Here comes the playoffs!"  I saw variations of "This team is good" and "They're turning the corner" more than anything else.

What's different is the current assistants actually bring something, the kids are settling in more and more, and Fitz is seeing some moves (especially Marino and Vanacek) pay off.  They've lost Palat (I did like that move too) and it's not even like that's hurting them at the moment.  Smith has been a borderline disaster and they've managed to minimize that too.       

We have some very emotional posters here who take everything to the extreme. We were down by two goals yesterday and people were saying “we’re not ready”. We won 3 out of the first 5 and people were declaring us a playoff team. 

For me, fvck tempering my excitement. What’s the point? We’re winning and I’m excited. If that turns around and we start losing I will be pissed. 

If you can’t be overly excited when your team is doing well, what the fvck is the point of being a fan? Why temper it, it’s not like (love you @SterioDesign) when you are dating a girl but you don’t want to put everything into it because you are afraid of getting hurt.

Fvck that sh!t, just go Bahls deep and be excited. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

We have some very emotional posters here who take everything to the extreme. We were down by two goals yesterday and people were saying “we’re not ready”. We won 3 out of the first 5 and people were declaring us a playoff team. 

For me, fvck tempering my excitement. What’s the point? We’re winning and I’m excited. If that turns around and we start losing I will be pissed. 

If you can’t be overly excited when your team is doing well, what the fvck is the point of being a fan? Why temper it, it’s not like (love you @SterioDesign) when you are dating a girl but you don’t want to put everything into it because you are afraid of getting hurt.

Fvck that sh!t, just go Bahls deep and be excited. 

Exactly. For me, this team is my emotionally abusive girlfriend who just spent a few months with a new therapist. She seems to be doing well, and treating me good. She's treating me better than she has in years. All my friends are telling me how different she is, and I can definitely see the change, but I still remember how she was. 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Where did you hear this? It's very obviously not true lol. He was screaming in pain on the ice and he left the arena last night in a full leg brace. 

18 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

It was a joke. Like Nico had ‘cramps’.

Yeah, not sure how he missed the obvious sarcasm lol.

It looked to me like he was holding lower in his leg like his knee, which in the scheme of things is probably better for a goalie than hip or groin. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Marino now has 6 points in his last 6 games (1 G and 5 A) and is a +10 in those games.  He’s only 11 games into his Devils career but man what a hell of start he’s off to.  He plays like a seasoned star vet who seems to know exactly what he’s supposed to do and where he’s supposed to be damned near all the time.  He’s been such a joy to watch…hopefully he’s one of the guys who goes to a new team (think John LeClair with the Flyers) and suddenly and immediately exceeds even the most optimistic expectations.

There should be an award giving out by the league for best shut down defenseman. The Norris requires points be posted. Marino needs to be in the Norris convo otherwise.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah, not sure how he missed the obvious sarcasm lol.

It looked to me like he was holding lower in his leg like his knee, which in the scheme of things is probably better for a goalie than hip or groin. 

I don't often get wooshed, but when I do, boy do I get wooshed with the best of em. 

• Haha 1

After Draisatl's goal on Vanecek on the power play, he had this look on his face like "let's bury these guys now". In previous years, that game quickly becomes 6-1. Instead, our guys put an impressive win together.

There was a moment in the second period, toward the end while it was 3-1, where one of the Oilers forwards (I forget who) received a pass alone in front, and VV came up with a huge save. If he allows a goal there, it's the type of thing where you say "well you can't really blame him for that one". But man is it nice to have a goalie who can make some of those big saves - saves that our post-healthy Schneider goaltenders never have been able to make. If the Devils go into the 3rd down 4-1 against the Oilers, that's a tough deficit to overcome. Credit to Vitek for coming in cold and really shutting the door.

As exciting as the start to the season has been, just wait until Jack goes on a tear.

• Like 4

On 11/4/2022 at 4:59 PM, nessus said:

After Draisatl's goal on Vanecek on the power play, he had this look on his face like "let's bury these guys now". In previous years, that game quickly becomes 6-1. Instead, our guys put an impressive win together.

There was a moment in the second period, toward the end while it was 3-1, where one of the Oilers forwards (I forget who) received a pass alone in front, and VV came up with a huge save. If he allows a goal there, it's the type of thing where you say "well you can't really blame him for that one". But man is it nice to have a goalie who can make some of those big saves - saves that our post-healthy Schneider goaltenders never have been able to make. If the Devils go into the 3rd down 4-1 against the Oilers, that's a tough deficit to overcome. Credit to Vitek for coming in cold and really shutting the door.

As exciting as the start to the season has been, just wait until Jack goes on a tear.

Yes, excellent post.  How many times in the last couple of years have the Devils come out flying and looking competitive, then the first intermission comes, and the other team seemed to say “Wait a minute, these are the Devils, we got this!”  Then it’s Devils looking helpless and disorganized with The Three Stooges behind the bench looking worthless and helpless.

You are right, that game is EXACTLY the kind of game that would’ve become an infuriating 6-2 loss or something similar.  Having more talent helps (both on the ice and in the coaching ranks), and to be fair, the Devils did catch one huge break in that there was that empty net scoring chance that somehow wasn’t converted…but the fact remains is that there’s absolutely NO way the 2021-22 Devils don’t lose that kind of a game in a landslide.

Also to be fair, the Oilers have a ton of offensive talent.  Playing against them is SUPPOSED to be a challenge.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2