GDT: Devils @ Rags - 12 Dec - 700p start - NHL Network

jagknife

2 hours ago, MB3 said:

Part of what made this team so good was the fact that we could roll 4 lines. Our guys were fresh all game, our 4th line dominated opponents 4th lines, etc.

Bastian and Palat are huge parts of this, I understand. But Ruff has to do something here, because right now we're the 2021 Devils -- a two-line team with 2 other horrendous groupings. McLeod-Zetterlund-Wood scares nobody, drives nothing, and does nothing. Yet they're unmistakably better than our 4th line of Sharangovich-Boqvist-Holtz.

I think you have to keep Mercer on Jack's wing. But Ruff needs to mess around with things a bit because this just isn't fvcking working any more. Johnsson has been actually producing in the minors, maybe it's time to call his number.

Johnsson-Hughes-Mercer
Tatar-Hischier-Zetterlund
Bratt-Haula-Sharangovich
Wood-McLeod-Boqvist 

At least the top 3 lines all have a dominant play-driver (Jack, Nico, Bratt) and someone with a wicked shot (Mercer, Tatar/Zetterlund, Sharangovich). 

Totally agree.  I blame this loss on Ruff.  No way Holtz should have played in this game-he's completely overmatched at this point.  And to put him on a line with Boquist -another lost soul-was a disaster waiting to happen.

Johnsson is nothing special -but he is at least an NHL player.  And poor Sharangovich is wasted playing with those guys-it's almost like he's being punished....  They need another big body who can at least skate/check/hit.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I don’t think there’s anything ridiculous about saying Shesterkin outplayed Vanecek. Vanecek wasn’t even bad, Shesterkin was just better. He made some huge saves in the 3rd. 

That’s not ridiculous. Summing it up that way as the reason we lost is ridiculous. Not to mention the fact that goalie performances are not intertwined with each other whatsoever.

Edited by mfitz804

This "4th line" is brutal. Often lost, not much compete.  Maybe if #17 would work his way back up to top 6, he'd be a lil more productive?  Please send Holtz to Utica, (lost, not contributing at all). I can't believe how much this team misses Bastian?  McCleod has been great imo.

Devil fans will start the "he's not being used properly" defense. 

15 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

This "4th line" is brutal. Often lost, not much compete.  Maybe if #17 would work his way back up to top 6, he'd be a lil more productive?  Please send Holtz to Utica, (lost, not contributing at all). I can't believe how much this team misses Bastian?  McCleod has been great imo.

He’s not being used properly. He should be being used in Utica. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Have Another Donut said:

Totally agree.  I blame this loss on Ruff.  No way Holtz should have played in this game-he's completely overmatched at this point.  And to put him on a line with Boquist -another lost soul-was a disaster waiting to happen.

Johnsson is nothing special -but he is at least an NHL player.  And poor Sharangovich is wasted playing with those guys-it's almost like he's being punished....  They need another big body who can at least skate/check/hit.

35 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

Totally agree.   The Bastian injury has had the compounding effect of making the BMW line way less effective while also making the 4th line completely worthless with Holtz swapping in for Zetterlund.   

A lot of the lineup issues solve themselves once Palat and Bastian are back but until then, I don’t think the lineup Lindy is currently icing gives us the best chance to succeed as we are basically a three line team at the moment.  The fact that we haven’t seen Johnsson yet is a bit bothersome given just how bad Holtz and Boqvist have been.   I would like to see:

Tatar - Hischier - Bratt 

Sharagovich/Johnsson - Hughes - Mercer 

Wood - McLeod - Zetterlund 

Sharagovich/Johnsson - Haula - Boqvist 

At this point, just send Holtz to Utica at let him rack up points down there.   Maybe he can be used as a significant trade chip in the summer because I just don’t see it with him.   I’ll probably get crap for giving up on him but to me, he flashes absolutely nothing to suggest it will eventually come together.  What good is a great shot if you’re not good enough or fast enough to get it off at the NHL level?  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Totally agree.   The Bastian injury has had the compounding effect of making the BMW line way less effective while also making the 4th line completely worthless with Holtz swapping in for Zetterlund.   

I also thionk Zetterlund looks less effective on that line, and the concept taht we can "roll 4 lines", while technically true, includes one line of hot dog turds at the moment. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I also thionk Zetterlund looks less effective on that line, and the concept taht we can "roll 4 lines", while technically true, includes one line of hot dog turds at the moment. 

I agree but I'm not sure what better option we have for immediately improving the BMW line without taking Bratt away from Hischier or Mercer away from Hughes so I was instead aiming to improve the hot dog turd line which is a really low bar.    

49 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I agree but I'm not sure what better option we have for immediately improving the BMW line without taking Bratt away from Hischier or Mercer away from Hughes so I was instead aiming to improve the hot dog turd line which is a really low bar.    

No, there was no better option, which is why I made the comment I did the other day about our depth. We are not as deep as some folks seem to believe. 

Edited by mfitz804

48 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

The 4th line is definitely hurting... And they were one of the better lines last night. Wood is in a funk right now but McLeod had a good game by McLeod standards. Zetterlund is definitely not able to be as effective away from some of the more talented guys.

6 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

The 4th line is definitely hurting... And they were one of the better lines last night. Wood is in a funk right now but McLeod had a good game by McLeod standards. Zetterlund is definitely not able to be as effective away from some of the more talented guys.

Are you talking about our 4th line or the McLeod line, because they're the 3rd line now. 

14 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I almost think they’re missing Bastian even more than Palat right now. That BMW line was so good, and they definitely miss him on the PP. It’s amazing screening a goalie is such a specialized skill. You’d think literary anyone could do it. But Igor was seeing the puck way too easily tonight. 

The Devils can’t make a net front presence.  It was evident in both the Islanders and Rangers game.  They were shooting from the outside, resulting blocked shots and quick transitions for the opposition.  They need some size and Bastian’s return will help.

6 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

This "4th line" is brutal. Often lost, not much compete.  Maybe if #17 would work his way back up to top 6, he'd be a lil more productive?  

I'd also like to see Sharangovich and Haula swapped, maybe except if the Hughes line needs to win a critical faceoff, then having Haula out there makes sense. Maybe Haula can make that fourth line better? 

I don't want to rule out that Sharangovich should be playing better no matter where he is. We know he runs hot and cold. 

17 hours ago, Have Another Donut said:

I agree and Ruff needs to do something.  Personally, I would try Nolan Foote.  Clearly, Holtz isn’t making a difference, neither is Boqivst atm.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

God no. 

I’d rather try someone with a club foot or no feet at all over Nolan Foote.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

God no. 

Well, we’ll have to wait for Bastian and Palat to comeback or Fitz to make a trade.  I don’t think Andreas Johnsson is the answer.  My suggestion for Foote is simply just having a bigger body out there.  I think this is what the team lacks.  Also, I didn’t think he was awful in his two stints at the NHL level.  He had 3g, 1a, +3 and 8hits in 7 games.  And look at the line mates:

image.thumb.png.0b6069e6781a94f11f866df2c5ff0284.png

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

Well, we’ll have to wait for Bastian and Palat to comeback or Fitz to make a trade.  I don’t think Andreas Johnsson is the answer.  My suggestion for Foote is simply just having a bigger body out there.  I think this is what the team lacks.  Also, I didn’t think he was awful in his two stints at the NHL level.  He had 3g, 1a, +3 and 8hits in 7 games.  And look at the line mates:

image.thumb.png.0b6069e6781a94f11f866df2c5ff0284.png

He can’t skate. We just went through this with Holtz…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

He can’t skate. We just went through this with Holtz…

I mean... that dude claimed the other day that he saw no problem with Holtz speed, that he was fast and had no problem keeping up based on what he saw during his games in the NHL.

Now saying he didn't think Foote was bad when he played in the NHL and that he could be the solution.

Very clearly the coaching staff and most of us here see something completely different than he is 

• Like 1