Trade Deadline Targets: Discuss

mikepeluso8

7 hours ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

I think we may be forgetting that they guy has to want to sign here long term, which we’ve struggled with being an attractive destination in the past. I agree, i really want this guy but im also starting to feel like if this was going to get done i feel like it probably wouldve happened

If he did not want to be traded here word would have leaked out already.

The guy who is close with Nico, who went on vacation to the same place where like 4 other Devils were at, yeah he might be okay being traded anywhere, but I don't think there is a chance he won't sign here.

All he would have to do is tell Nico, hey I don't want to live in NJ with those high taxes, I mean it's not like he is used to high taxes... Oh wait, he is already taxed more where he currently plays...

If SJ trades him somewhere else that team better have made a crazy overpay because otherwise he is a perfect fit on the Devils and that's why most of the top hockey experts keep on mentioning this, and again they would have gotten word if the player would not play here.

I wonder if NJ could include Severson in a deal for Meier and that would allow SJ to flip him to another team for another 1st or some other assets.  I think that could be one way to add value to the trade without sending sending 4 or 5 contracts or giving up Mercer, Luke, or Nemec.  It's going to take some creativity for NJ to make it happen and SJ not to get hosed.

34 minutes ago, Crisis said:

I wonder if NJ could include Severson in a deal for Meier and that would allow SJ to flip him to another team for another 1st or some other assets.  I think that could be one way to add value to the trade without sending sending 4 or 5 contracts or giving up Mercer, Luke, or Nemec.  It's going to take some creativity for NJ to make it happen and SJ not to get hosed.

I think if it becomes clear we're missing out on Meier, Fitz goes for a combo of Boeser and Schenn from Vancouver. I think that's a deal where Severson is part of. I read that Vancouver is interested in him, we'd be getting back a good defender and a good scoring forward, albeit one that is a downgrade from Meier's caliber

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I think if it becomes clear we're missing out on Meier, Fitz goes for a combo of Boeser and Schenn from Vancouver. I think that's a deal where Severson is part of. I read that Vancouver is interested in him, we'd be getting back a good defender and a good scoring forward, albeit one that is a downgrade from Meier's caliber

Yeah I could see that.  The more I try to work it out in my head, the harder it is to come up with a realistic trade for Timo without involving a 3rd party.  I would love a trade for Buchnevich as a runner up.  And lesser so Henrique or Toews.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Patrick Sundstrom Ghost said:

If he did not want to be traded here word would have leaked out already.

The guy who is close with Nico, who went on vacation to the same place where like 4 other Devils were at, yeah he might be okay being traded anywhere, but I don't think there is a chance he won't sign here.

All he would have to do is tell Nico, hey I don't want to live in NJ with those high taxes, I mean it's not like he is used to high taxes... Oh wait, he is already taxed more where he currently plays...

If SJ trades him somewhere else that team better have made a crazy overpay because otherwise he is a perfect fit on the Devils and that's why most of the top hockey experts keep on mentioning this, and again they would have gotten word if the player would not play here.

Well you kind of made my point exactly, if he’s looking to get paid the 10M+ he may be able to get, why would he leave one tax riddled state to come right into another when he may be able to go anywhere he wants and be just as competitive in Carolina. Also, I don’t think nico would come running back to the media telling everyone Meier said he wouldn’t come play here.. not sure I’ve ever seen that happen. A lot of players are obviously friends and not on the same team. Some of you guys look way too far into things. 

Someone mentioned yesterday that if a deal for Meier was going to happen it would have happened already. I am starting to believe that more and more. I want Meier but not for the ranch. I’ll gladly take boeser or buchnevich and/or Schenn or gudas. I’m hoping a combo of two of them. 

9 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

Well you kind of made my point exactly, if he’s looking to get paid the 10M+ he may be able to get, why would he leave one tax riddled state to come right into another when he may be able to go anywhere he wants and be just as competitive in Carolina. Also, I don’t think nico would come running back to the media telling everyone Meier said he wouldn’t come play here.. not sure I’ve ever seen that happen. A lot of players are obviously friends and not on the same team. Some of you guys look way too far into things. 

He would not tell the media, he would tell the GM of his team, you know the guy who he works for.

There is let no way, zero none, nada, that Meier has said he does not want to be a Devils, how do i know, real easy, every single hockey columnist, talking head have all said the same thing, NJ is the team to watch out for.

Do you know why they all say that? It's because they talk to the GM's and scouts of teams, they know SJ has been at NJ games and also in Utica. They also know Timo Meier has never made it known that he does not want to play here. If he did not, the GM of the Devils would leak that to everyone so the team would not get any heat if they trade does not happen, as it would be announced that Timo has a preference of where he wanted to play.

Oh and Timo nor his agent ever stated he wanted 10 million a year, but nice try.

18 minutes ago, Fansinz88 said:

Someone mentioned yesterday that if a deal for Meier was going to happen it would have happened already. I am starting to believe that more and more. I want Meier but not for the ranch. I’ll gladly take boeser or buchnevich and/or Schenn or gudas. I’m hoping a combo of two of them. 

Yes because hockey trades are always made in the first week of Feb not in the last week before the deadline.

SJ will get a big haul for Meier, but not crazy, he has to get paid, many teams can't pay him. NJ can.

There are only a handful who are in this chase if you want to call it that.

Buffalo is in it if they want to, but they are a little behind NJ and might want to hold off in going for it.

Carolina is certainly the team out there that I fear, but they also have questions.

Do they want to spend big on a pending bih money player, or do they instead go after a lesser big move and get a player who won't cost as much and will only be on the team for a rental like a Toews, O'Reilly or Tarasenko.

NY I don't believe they can get Meier unless they move serious money as they have some big contracts that will be do in the two lotto picks, Miller on D and Chytil.

I don't see many other teams who can sign him long term, although I am sure I am missing one or two.

Maybe Dallas is another one of those teams, I don't know their Cap situation though, so I can't say, but yeah that might be another team to watch out for.

Edited by Patrick Sundstrom Ghost
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Patrick Sundstrom Ghost said:

Yes because hockey trades are always made in the first week of Feb not in the last week before the deadline.

SJ will get a big haul for Meier, but not crazy, he has to get paid, many teams can't pay him. NJ can.

There are only a handful who are in this chase if you want to call it that.

Buffalo is in it if they want to, but they are a little behind NJ and might want to hold off in going for it.

Carolina is certainly the team out there that I fear, but they also have questions.

Do they want to spend big on a pending bih money player, or do they instead go after a lesser big move and get a player who won't cost as much and will only be on the team for a rental like a Toews, O'Reilly or Tarasenko.

NY I don't believe they can get Meier unless they move serious money as they have some big contracts that will be do in the two lotto picks, Miller on D and Chytil.

I don't see many other teams who can sign him long term, although I am sure I am missing one or two.

Penguins as well

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Patrick Sundstrom Ghost said:

He would not tell the media, he would tell the GM of his team, you know the guy who he works for.

There is let no way, zero none, nada, that Meier has said he does not want to be a Devils, how do i know, real easy, every single hockey columnist, talking head have all said the same thing, NJ is the team to watch out for.

Do you know why they all say that? It's because they talk to the GM's and scouts of teams, they know SJ has been at NJ games and also in Utica. They also know Timo Meier has never made it known that he does not want to play here. If he did not, the GM of the Devils would leak that to everyone so the team would not get any heat if they trade does not happen, as it would be announced that Timo has a preference of where he wanted to play.

Oh and Timo nor his agent ever stated he wanted 10 million a year, but nice try.

Well a few things, since you don’t seem to comprehend very well. I’m not sure if nico is even friends with him, that he would run back to his boss and dime him out that he does or doesn’t want to play here. I don’t know what kind of rat background you may come from but if my friend tells me something in confidence I’m not running to my boss to tell him what I’ve been told. Also, more often than not I’m pretty certain if the GM comes out and says he made a push for a player… usually happens after one of the two sides have already moved on, not prior.. there’s a mutual respect most times than not on these things.. clearly much different than this forum. People jumping down other peoples throats for basic opinions and conversation. Also, I never stated he or his agent said they wanted 10M, if you know anything about free agency the guy is going to be going into the biggest contract year of his career and a player of his caliber will easily get about or around 10M… not sure why you’re so angry, it’s 9:15am.. go back to sleep and bury your oversized head in the sand. 

Also, since you’re attacking me about the above might as well add… if we are lucky enough to get Meier ( I want him as much as anyone) .. you can plan on losing bratt or paying him something equivalent. 

Edited by 2ELIAS6

10 minutes ago, ajsgolf said:

Is everyone in here checking for any updates on tsn.ca every hour while working or do you get some kind of automatic pop up somewhere if any kind of movement has been made in the league?  Anyone productive at work for these next few weeks? Lol

I get notifications from The Athletic on my phone. 

1 hour ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

Also, since you’re attacking me about the above might as well add… if we are lucky enough to get Meier ( I want him as much as anyone) .. you can plan on losing bratt or paying him something equivalent. 

Lighten up. No one "attacked" you and we're trying to keep this place civil.

Do your part. Let's banter, we're all on the same team

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Lighten up. No one "attacked" you and we're trying to keep this place civil.

Do your part. Let's banter, we're all on the same team

Ending a rant directed against me because he misinterpreted something with “ but nice try” … pretty fvcking snarky where I come from. Sorry, if he wants to get bitchy i have no problem getting bitchy right back .

1 hour ago, ajsgolf said:

Is everyone in here checking for any updates on tsn.ca every hour while working or do you get some kind of automatic pop up somewhere if any kind of movement has been made in the league?  Anyone productive at work for these next few weeks? Lol

Only on actual deadline day lol

35 minutes ago, Anhkheg said:

I think we should be chasing Chychrun over Meier, either way, both are expensive, and Chychrun is signed to a reasonable long term deal and will solidify our D considerably. We can package Severson, a high pick and a prospect.

I don’t want him for the lone fact he’s more fragile than Jack, and our docs already are suspect…

Seriously though the dude has never played more than 70 games in a single season

• Like 2

Not an amazing return, but not like Tarasenko is lighting it up this year.  Also a UFA-to-be.