New Around The League Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

8 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If it's one thing that NFL franchises rarely fvck around with, it's locking up franchise QBs (or even guys who remotely resemble a franchise QB, in some cases).  Can't see the Bengals not taking care of this

Oh for sure. Hell, the Bengals made Carson Palmer the highest paid QB in the league back in the day, so I’m not even remotely worried. I’m just being impatient. Especially after Herbert and Hurts deals got done. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lateralous said:

…and then there’s this earth shaker 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Some 1OAs get 8 years and $8 million AAV…and are considered bargains.

Some…don’t.

https://x.com/bigheadhcky/status/1694460890182201383?s=46&t=LbTlicr2R-wpEQlojJz9Sg

Ugh tweets are still not embedding for me. 

Edited by Nicomo

20 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Yeah both Lafreniere and Kakko’s first post-ELC deals pretty much tell you all that you need to know about how disappointing they’ve been, especially given expectations and where they were picked.

We already know, but because it’s fun to point out, Mercer has absolutely smoked Lafreniere to this point.  Of course Ranger fans will take the “But playing time!” tact, but the fact is that if Lafrenière was playing so well that the Rangers would have no choice but to give him more minutes, I doubt that they wouldn’t do just that.  He simply hasn’t EARNED more…not so far.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah both Lafreniere and Kakko’s first post-ELC deals pretty much tell you all that you need to know about how disappointing they’ve been, especially given expectations and where they were picked.

We already know, but because it’s fun to point out, Mercer has absolutely smoked Lafreniere to this point.  Of course Ranger fans will take the “But playing time!” tact, but the fact is that if Lafrenière was playing so well that the Rangers would have no choice but to give him more minutes, I doubt that they wouldn’t do just that.  He simply hasn’t EARNED more…not so far.

It is hard to give them any real opportunity to step up when you are signing/trading for geriatrics to stick in your top 6 instead because you're desperate to compete. Nico and Jack were able to take those big steps because they were given big opportunities and, at times, were "the guys" due to other guys being injured. Hall went through an injury and then was traded and Nico had to be "the guy". Nico then had some extended injury issues and bad luck and Jack had to be "the guy". The Devils in those years didn't have to be good so they were able to just let what happened, happen, and give the boys a chance to grow into their roles. Really thankful the Rags have managed to squander top tier talent with BRUTAL player development.

11 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

It is hard to give them any real opportunity to step up when you are signing/trading for geriatrics to stick in your top 6 instead because you're desperate to compete. Nico and Jack were able to take those big steps because they were given big opportunities and, at times, were "the guys" due to other guys being injured. Hall went through an injury and then was traded and Nico had to be "the guy". Nico then had some extended injury issues and bad luck and Jack had to be "the guy". The Devils in those years didn't have to be good so they were able to just let what happened, happen, and give the boys a chance to grow into their roles. Really thankful the Rags have managed to squander top tier talent with BRUTAL player development.

Re:  the bolded, that's just it...if they had shown more, then maybe Drury doesn't decide to load up with Tarasenko and Kane (man do I love that those deals didn't help them much at all).  Maybe they're not forever relegated to this "Kid Line" that had a good few weeks, then didn't do a whole hell of a lot the rest of the season (but of course were celebrated like they did, because that's the Rangers and their fans for ya...they (over)celebrate everything).

But yeah, I can't completely discount that Nico and Jack went to teams more in "Our 1OAs are going to get plenty of looks and chances out of necessity, right away...we'll live with the growing pains."  Who knows, if it was 2-3 years ago, maybe a guy like Nemec is on the big club right away, instead of getting a year of seasoning in the AHL.  But there was enough on D at the time and the team was good enough overall last season that the Devils were able to exercise more caution and patience with Nemec.  

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Re:  the bolded, that's just it...if they had shown more, then maybe Drury doesn't decide to load up with Tarasenko and Kane (man do I love that those deals didn't help them much at all).  Maybe they're not forever relegated to this "Kid Line" that had a good few weeks, then didn't do a whole hell of a lot the rest of the season (but of course were celebrated like they did, because that's the Rangers and their fans for ya...they (over)celebrate everything).

But yeah, I can't completely discount that Nico and Jack went to teams more in "Our 1OAs are going to get plenty of looks and chances out of necessity, right away...we'll live with the growing pains."  Who knows, if it was 2-3 years ago, maybe a guy like Nemec is on the big club right away, instead of getting a year of seasoning in the AHL.  But there was enough on D at the time and the team was good enough overall last season that the Devils were able to exercise more caution and patience with Nemec.  

But NHL Network assured us, multiple times, that The Kids are Alright!

• Haha 2
  • Angry 1

25 minutes ago, jagknife said:

But NHL Network assured us, multiple times, that The Kids are Alright!

What was so odd about all of that crap is that friggin' line continued to get SO much respect even after they had largely cooled off...to the point where I'd watch even non-Ranger hockey talk shows and it would sound like the idea of breaking up the "vaunted" Kid Line was somehow blasphemous.  Basically from about 2/11-on, those three really didn't do a whole hell of a lot (15 points in 37 GP for Kakko, 16 points in 37 GP for Chytil, and 14 points in 37 GP for Lafreniere)...yep, whatever you do, can't bust up that gang of untouchables.  

32 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah I don’t see that as realistic 

It's funny, in that someone was talking about how "boring" this site can get in the offseason.

Journalists are feeling the same thing, re:  this part of any given offseason (especially once most free agents have been signed, and there isn't much in the way of personnel moves taking place), so they gotta start racking their brains to come up with angles.  Really bad fan-run sites like Pucks & Pitchforks pull that crap all of the time of course, but it gets to the point where just about EVERYONE is trying to come up with SOMETHING to write about.

This is a case of someone seeing a team with a need and a player who hasn't yet agreed to contract, and trying to create something that isn't realistically there at all...at least not right now.

If Petterson was going UFA, I might see a little more urgency involved, as far as Vancouver exploring moving him goes.  But he's an arb-eligible RFA.  Even if they don't come to terms at any point this season, they can still try to hammer something out this offseason.  

As we saw with Bratt, just because it might take a while for a guy to sign doesn't mean it won't happen.  There's still time for Pettersson and Vancouver to come to some agreement.  

• Like 1

On 8/27/2023 at 1:09 PM, StarDew said:

Hughes currently stands second among active players with eight career goals against Shesterkin. Jake Guentzel is first with 10. However, seven of Hughes’ goals were scored during this past season, as he continually found different ways to keep Shesterkin off-balance and guessing.

Holy sh!t. Prior to last season, Jack only had 1 goal against Shesty. He now is 2nd behind Guetzel because he put up 7 on Shesterkin this past season. Such progression, such stud. 

• Like 1

On 8/25/2023 at 10:25 AM, MadDog2020 said:

Auston Matthews is great, but talk about hamstringing your team with that cap hit.  I get it he wants to make money, but leave a little for some depth players.

maybe I’m wrong with this take, I don’t know.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

Auston Matthews is great, but talk about hamstringing your team with that cap hit.  I get it he wants to make money, but leave a little for some depth players.

They’re not in as bad of shape as it would seem…they actually have a lot of money coming off in the next couple of seasons.  I suspect after Tavares’ contract is up, they won’t re-sign him.

13 hours ago, Puckbuster said:

Other than the perception that he's always trying to get every last dollar and never commits to the Leafs for the full 8 year max, setting the tone for their other upcoming free agents, I don't think it's actually a bad deal for them that they got him for roughly the same 15% of cap as other star players are getting and have an out when he turns 31.   He had all the leverage in this negotiation since Dubas walked him right into UFA with a full no trade clause.  I mean, if they keep running it back with the same results for another 5 years, it's probably time to move on anyway, so no reason to lock in for another 8 after next year.   

The real sin is that they overpaid him on a 5 year term on his last contract.  He was way more established than Jack when he signed his long term deal but a better GM would have kept the number below 11.6 (a direct result of Tavares getting 11 and Matthews already outproducing him at the time).  If they got the 8 year term, they would still have four more years of him at a relative bargain as the cap finally moves up.   The idea that they are probably pissing away 2 more years of Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Rielly's absolute prime years just riding out the Tavares contract so that they get some cap relief to address the glaring holes and lack of depth in the roster is just absolute highest level of mismanagement from Shanahan/Dubas.   

This is just opinion but the other thing I don't like about the Leafs situation is having your top guy be someone who really doesn't make others around him better.  I know goals are expensive but I'm not really sure what else Matthews brings to the table.   Despite his size, he's not terribly physical, it doesn't seem like he's some sort of Nate MacKinnon level leader in the locker room and on a team that basically just feasts on the PP, he has a career high of only 45 assist.    I guess it's the same reason I've never personally never considered Ovechkin at the same level as Crosby.   Regardless of the contracts or age, I wouldn't trade Jack Hughes straight up for Auston Matthews for the next 4 years for what they bring.          

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

They’re not in as bad of shape as it would seem…they actually have a lot of money coming off in the next couple of seasons.  I suspect after Tavares’ contract is up, they won’t re-sign him.

You are right, in two years they will have plenty of cap space.  However, they are in a win now season and they are at negative cap space.  Matthews isn’t getting any younger.107CD839-C587-4B13-AC67-0BF29322E96C.thumb.jpeg.d6b9483561f69750aa49d3503a8b9482.jpeg

8 hours ago, Lateralous said:

Other than the perception that he's always trying to get every last dollar and never commits to the Leafs for the full 8 year max, setting the tone for their other upcoming free agents, I don't think it's actually a bad deal for them that they got him for roughly the same 15% of cap as other star players are getting and have an out when he turns 31.   He had all the leverage in this negotiation since Dubas walked him right into UFA with a full no trade clause.  I mean, if they keep running it back with the same results for another 5 years, it's probably time to move on anyway, so no reason to lock in for another 8 after next year.   

The real sin is that they overpaid him on a 5 year term on his last contract.  He was way more established than Jack when he signed his long term deal but a better GM would have kept the number below 11.6 (a direct result of Tavares getting 11 and Matthews already outproducing him at the time).  If they got the 8 year term, they would still have four more years of him at a relative bargain as the cap finally moves up.   The idea that they are probably pissing away 2 more years of Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Rielly's absolute prime years just riding out the Tavares contract so that they get some cap relief to address the glaring holes and lack of depth in the roster is just absolute highest level of mismanagement from Shanahan/Dubas.   

This is just opinion but the other thing I don't like about the Leafs situation is having your top guy be someone who really doesn't make others around him better.  I know goals are expensive but I'm not really sure what else Matthews brings to the table.   Despite his size, he's not terribly physical, it doesn't seem like he's some sort of Nate MacKinnon level leader in the locker room and on a team that basically just feasts on the PP, he has a career high of only 45 assist.    I guess it's the same reason I've never personally never considered Ovechkin at the same level as Crosby.   Regardless of the contracts or age, I wouldn't trade Jack Hughes straight up for Auston Matthews for the next 4 years for what they bring.          

Well put, I agree with your take.  My post was much more simplistic in its premise.