New Around The League Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

26 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah Bill, very shortly. You said that a year ago you stupid fvck. 

It seems like the NHL is doing everything they can to let the London police take the lead on this, otherwise they would have released the report a few weeks ago during the absolute dog days of summer.   The police seemingly botched this so badly the first time, I’m not sure how motivated they are to put the spotlight on that ineptitude by indicting players now.     

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

It seems like the NHL is doing everything they can to let the London police take the lead on this, otherwise they would have released the report a few weeks ago during the absolute dog days of summer.   The police seemingly botched this so badly the first time, I’m not sure how motivated they are to put the spotlight on that ineptitude by indicting players now.     

It’s truly amazing that the NHL is a multi-billion dollar entity with the frequency in which they trip over their own dicks. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Lateralous said:

10 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

It’s truly amazing that the NHL is a multi-billion dollar entity with the frequency in which they trip over their own dicks. 

Devil's Advocate here: The NHL might be staying way slow rolling the fvck out of this one to avoid any blowback lawsuits from improperly naming people without being charged. For example, say the league places EVERYONE on that team on admin leave, guys who were absolutely not involved will now be looked upon with doubt, regardless of alibis, leading to loss of playing time, leading to loss of wages in the future, so on and so forth.

I 100% blame Hockey Canada for covering it up with hush money to begin with, then I blame London Police for taking excessive amounts of time to finalize and release their investigation results.

As much as I love to pile on Gary and blame him for black eyes that the League gets from their own doing, this is one where I feel they HAVE to take their time with and be right. We all know the Reddit/Twitter/Internet police have held their own kangaroo court and decided who is guilty.

EDIT: Also, I think the victim was doxxed a while back (but I'm not searching for that to prove it), could you imagine if HYPOTHETICALLY the NHL suspends Makar for being part of the team until the report was released by HC/LPD? Keyboard warriors would have a field day (just like EVERY scandal that hits the league)

Edited by jagknife
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Devil's Advocate here: The NHL might be staying way slow rolling the fvck out of this one to avoid any blowback lawsuits from improperly naming people without being charged. For example, say the league places EVERYONE on that team on admin leave, guys who were absolutely not involved will now be looked upon with doubt, regardless of alibis, leading to loss of playing time, leading to loss of wages in the future, so on and so forth.

I 100% blame Hockey Canada for covering it up with hush money to begin with, then I blame London Police for taking excessive amounts of time to finalize and release their investigation results.

As much as I love to pile on Gary and blame him for black eyes that the League gets from their own doing, this is one where I feel they HAVE to take their time with and be right. We all know the Reddit/Twitter/Internet police have held their own kangaroo court and decided who is guilty.

EDIT: Also, I think the victim was doxxed a while back (but I'm not searching for that to prove it), could you imagine if HYPOTHETICALLY the NHL suspends Makar for being part of the team until the report was released by HC/LPD? Keyboard warriors would have a field day (just like EVERY scandal that hits the league)

I think you are absolutely correct.  I read somewhere that one agent had mentioned defamation lawsuits if and when the NHL report came out.

2 hours ago, Lateralous said:

I think you are absolutely correct.  I read somewhere that one agent had mentioned defamation lawsuits if and when the NHL report came out.

I hate it, cause there ARE players that were involved. And London/Hockey Canada know exactly who was/wasn’t. I refuse to believe they don’t.

But this is one of the rare times I won’t drag Gary for it.

6 hours ago, jagknife said:

I was under the impression that this was with the provincial police department. The NHL doesn't have authority over a criminal investigation. They probably know sh!t but they can't say anything until it all goes public when the police finish the investigation.

Sanderson deal is a new orienteer for Luke.

If Mercer will hit 30+ g and 65+ points he will have a right to ask 8mil. Overall I'm waiting for 6.5-7 mil. Boldy is a good orienteer.

Anyway if we will spend 14-16 mil for Luke and Dawson, Nemec will make a slide i think, we will need to sign him after 4 years from today. And Nico too. It could be 20+ mil. This is a situation where Fitz strategy to draft from mhl/khl is working for need and help to surround our core by NHL more ready and cheap players and sign them on a short cheap deals after elc. Vancouver gives 5.5 to Kuzmenko, and its not like every player will play on Kuzmenko level and its still very cheap. I believe Carolina is making something similar in a bigger scale. If Fitz will continue to draft better players with better tools/skills and ceiling in later rounds, it will help to surround our expensive core (and its not really expensive, thanks, Fotz) and will prolonging our window.

I would trade half of our prospect pool and roster for Sanderson. Wanted him in the draft day so hard. 

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Uh huh 🙄

I'd hate to see what "inactive" would be...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Just hope he's not a catcher...might rack up some passed balls if ya know what I mean 😉

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, jagknife said:

https://twitter.com/AlexC_THW/status/1699846721046483175?s=20

Latest installment of, “Summer is slow, I need some clicks…”

can camps just open up already

What's annoying about crap like that is that such a tweet is put out there with absolutely no context.

Sure, Fitz (as any good GM would do in his position) probably reached out and got an idea of what it might take to get him a few months ago.  At the same time bringing in a Hellebuyck-type at this point would REALLY go against Fitz's MO...and of course, that MO has largely been to build from within, and trade for helpful but cost-effective (read:  not pricey) players.  With the exception of the "He filled a big need and it's time to show everyone that the Devils are ready to start taking steps" signing of Hamilton, Fitz very clearly wants to save the big money, long-term contracts for HIS guys...he's not looking for outside UFAs (or guys soon to be UFAs) to take up big chunks of cap space.  Guess you can make an argument that Timo is kinda-sorta an exception, but it also sounds like Timo was a player that Fitz was very keen on long before he brought him here, and was not going to be allowed to go elsewhere without a serious fight.  Timo is as much "one of the gang" as guys like Jack, Nico, Bratt etc in Fitz's eyes, even though he's still settling in.

The way Fitz spent this offseason, it's pretty obvious that he moved on from the idea on leaving space for Hellebuyck pretty early in the offseason, assuming he was even entertaining such an idea to begin with.  Maybe if VV and/or Schmid play just meh enough to cause concern, then I can see Fitz considering adding Hellebuyck, even if it's only as a rental.  But I just don't see him being remotely first and foremost on Fitz's mind as we head into team practices and preseason.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Maybe if VV and/or Schmid play just meh enough to cause concern, then I can see Fitz considering adding Hellebuyck, even if it's only as a rental.  But I just don't see him being remotely first and foremost on Fitz's mind as we head into team practices and preseason.

If our duo isn't getting it done, then Fitz will make it happen. I have no problem with wait-and-see. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

I'll never understand retiring jersey numbers so many years later. He retired from playing in 2010. Now all of a sudden he qualifies for a jersey retirement? I really hope we never end up doing sh!t like this. 

Never won a Cup with them either. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

18 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I'll never understand retiring jersey numbers so many years later. He retired from playing in 2010. Now all of a sudden he qualifies for a jersey retirement? I really hope we never end up doing sh!t like this. 

He was a terrific Hall of Fame defenseman and leader but he's not in the category of most the players who have had their Blackhawks numbers retired already, because he played just as long for the Red Wings. Yes, his prime was in Chicago but still. Some may disagree with that take. I wouldn't have retired Hossa's number either. It's a good bet Duncan Keith, Toews and Kane will have their numbers in the rafters too.

Eventually it's too many retired numbers. Ring of honor is better, it keeps the numbers in circulation. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

$$$$$ grab. Nothing more.

• Like 1