GDT: 4/27/2023 Game 5 - Blowshirts @ Devils 7:30 pm Screw the blue

Colorado Rockies 1976

4 minutes ago, devlman said:

Settings are on point. The MSG feed, which is usually low with crowd noise, for me came through louder. Even watching highlights on YouTube on my phone you can tell ESPN’s audio engineering was off. But I’ll double check on settings.

Fair enough. Maybe I’ve become accustomed to it and it really isn’t as loud as it should be haha

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Watching the Rags post game. I get the last thing you want to do is talk to the press after a loss like that, but they have no answers. Especially their excuse for a 'captain'. Marble-mouthed caveman muttering through his teeth. Gallant gave Schmid a shout-out though so that was cool. 

This series in some ways is starting to remind me of the 1995 sweep of the Red Wings...ya gotta throw out the first two games of this series to do it, but there's similarites:

Game 1 1995/Game 3 2023:  Two very tight 2-1 road wins

Game 2 1995/Game 4 2023:  Another tight road win...Devils win 3-2 in 1995, and win 3-1 in 1995.  Just like the last game, this one is close, and just like the Red Wings, the Rangers look like they're having trouble finding a way to bust through what's been thrown at them

Game 3 1995/Game 5 2023:  A 5-2 pasting in 1995 that was 5-0 before the Red Wings scored a couple of meaningless cosmetic goals that only served to make the game look closer than it ever truly was.  The 2023 Devils win 4-0.  Both the Red Wings and Rangers sound baffled and almost defeated despite neither series being done.

Game 4 1995:  The Red Wings threw everything that they had at the Devils in the first period, and even had a lead at one point (2-1), but the Devils would tie it up before the period ended.  You could just see the Red Wings had this collective "We gave it every last bit and we couldn't even win the period?!" feel about them as the period drew to a close.  The Devils would go on to win 5-2.

For this Game 6, I expect the Rangers to do the same...come out desperate and hope to somehow get a lead and find a way to hang on, no matter how ragged they have to be to get there.  If the Devils (and Schmid of course) can find some way to withstand that and either keep the game close or take a lead themselves...I can see the Rangers just crumbling completely as they realize they can't shake the Devils no matter what they do.  But they gotta withstand those first 15-20 minutes.  Give them nothing on which to build or feel good about.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

To add to this, @devlman do you have a surround sound system? It makes a huge difference in terms of sounding like you're there vs just the regular speakers from the TV. 

No surround sound, I’m sure that would help. But the thing is I just want our very awesome and very underrated fanbase to be heard on the national broadcast more than anything. I know the Rock was jumping last night, and I want our fans to get the respect for it that they deserve.

Quick compare here…Sportsnet does it so much better

Compare to ESPN’s game seemingly broadcast from a phone booth:

Our fanbase never gets credit. It’s always the Garden that is some fortress of noise, or we have no real fans. Steve Levy said on the broadcast that these Devil ranger games are usually 50-50 split. I was like what the fvck?? That’s not true at all. 

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

When it comes to development, I still think the insane amount of young talent was going to find a way to blossom...but like I said in other posts, I think Ruff definitely has a nurturing side that helped at times for sure.

BUT, it's the bolded that is shutting his critics (I've obviously been one of the more vocal) right the fvck up.  He's made key personnel decisions AND adjusted quite well to a Ranger gameplan that looked scary effective in those dual 5-1 losses.  Not only have the Rangers not been able to do much of ANYTHING over the past three games, the Devils seem to be getting even BETTER at completely stifling everything that the Rangers are trying to do.  That third period was as men-against-boys as it gets (though it was technically boys-against-men, heh heh), even if the Devils only managed the one empty-netter in that period.  They're playing like they know what the Rangers are going to before the RANGERS do.  There was a solid article in the NYP about all of the homework Lindy and his assistants did after those two brutal defeats, and man has that hard work paid off.  Lindy deserves a ton of credit for what he's been able to do in helping to turn this series around so drastically.

Some other random notes:

I've barely noticed Lazar since he came into the lineup for Wood...and that's exactly the fvcking point.  Fair to say that he doesn't get much TOI (though Wood wasn't either in this series), but more importantly, he brings NONE of the stupid that Wood did.  Wood is definitely the more physically gifted player, but that means nothing when there's no hockey IQ whatsoever to go with it.  Best of luck in future endeavors Miles...you brought some fun moments, but you can go be a big dumb animal somewhere else.

Bahl is willing himself into being a gritty regular; "from within" solutions are always ideal.  Smith as the cheap #7 that he was signed to be is tolerable.  A defensive corp of Hamilton, Siegs, Marino, Luke, Nemec, and Bahl?!  That's really friggin' good, and as Luke and Nemec settle in (and Bahl continues to develop), just...goddamn does the future look bright as fvck.

Schmid...wow.  Who knows how his story unfolds, but this is a hell of an introduction. 

On to Game 6!  

Our future is blindingly bright. Throw in a potential stud young goalie on top of that D corps and it’s like…wow.

Re Lindy: He has performed a masterclass coaching clinic so far with adjustments and lineups and is making Gallant look like an amateur.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

For this Game 6, I expect the Rangers to do the same...come out desperate and hope to somehow get a lead and find a way to hang on, no matter how ragged they have to be to get there.  If the Devils (and Schmid of course) can find some way to withstand that and either keep the game close or take a lead themselves...I can see the Rangers just crumbling completely as they realize they can't shake the Devils no matter what they do.  But they gotta withstand those first 15-20 minutes.  Give them nothing on which to build or feel good about.

I completely agree with you on this. Withstanding the expected onslaught will be crucial. If the Devils can manage to take the lead. I'm pretty sure their heads will drop. They looked shell shocked in the third period last night as it was.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

Kenny Daneyko is excited. "I like to see that big Bahl."

Big_Balls-poster.jpg

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

I completely agree with you on this. Withstanding the expected onslaught will be crucial. If the Devils can manage to take the lead. I'm pretty sure their heads will drop. They looked shell shocked in the third period last night as it was.

I agree but I will add that there are likely only a select number of players on the Rangers who can give them the lift they need at even strength. I can't see Panarin doing it and I can't see Patrick Kane doing it. If I were a Ranger fan, I wouldn't be upset if Gallant scratched Kane. Zibanejad is a gamer and as much as we poke fun at Kakko, I can see his line providing a lift. 

If the Devils take stupid penalties, however, the door can open for the Rangers, including passenger Panarin.

1 hour ago, devlman said:

No surround sound, I’m sure that would help. But the thing is I just want our very awesome and very underrated fanbase to be heard on the national broadcast more than anything. I know the Rock was jumping last night, and I want our fans to get the respect for it that they deserve.

Quick compare here…Sportsnet does it so much better

Compare to ESPN’s game seemingly broadcast from a phone booth:

Our fanbase never gets credit. It’s always the Garden that is some fortress of noise, or we have no real fans. Steve Levy said on the broadcast that these Devil ranger games are usually 50-50 split. I was like what the fvck?? That’s not true at all. 

It’s a lazy trope, it wasn’t anywhere close to 50-50 in any of the three games, or 2012 for that matter. The only legit 50-50 games I’ve seen at the Rock were Game 5 in 2008 and Fan Depreciation Night at the end of the Lou era when they clowned us and clinched the President’s Cup.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, eaglejelly said:

From Larry Brooks "Trailing 3-0 after the second period, the Rangers were outshot 20-2 in the third period" I didn't realize that the Devils were that dominant in the third. Impressive stat.

That’s because Shesterkin kept it from being the 6-0 or 7-0 it should have been. The Devils steamrolled them out of the building, last week might as well have been last season 🫣😂

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

It’s a lazy trope, it wasn’t anywhere close to 50-50 in any of the three games, or 2012 for that matter. The only legit 50-50 games I’ve seen at the Rock were Game 5 in 2008 and Fan Depreciation Night at the end of the Lou era when they clowned us and clinched the President’s Cup.

Didn't even remember the second one but had to look it up, they clowned us 6-1 at MSG but then we lost 4-2(4th being an empty net) at home when they clinched at least they gave it the old college try at home lol

Man what an absolutely fun game to have been at last night! Although I hated seeing so much blue in the arena, hopefully that’s the last of it for the season. This whole series I’ve felt a bit of anxiety with these games, but last night was worth every dollar. The team has to stay on top of them going back into the garden we don’t want a game 7 and this thing isn’t over yet. Fun fact, I was literally sitting right in front of @Colorado Rockies 1976 and had absolutely no idea until about an hr ago. 

• Like 3
  • EvilHeart 1

1 hour ago, Jerrydevil said:

I agree but I will add that there are likely only a select number of players on the Rangers who can give them the lift they need at even strength. I can't see Panarin doing it and I can't see Patrick Kane doing it. If I were a Ranger fan, I wouldn't be upset if Gallant scratched Kane. Zibanejad is a gamer and as much as we poke fun at Kakko, I can see his line providing a lift. 

If the Devils take stupid penalties, however, the door can open for the Rangers, including passenger Panarin.

I would break up that kid line and move around some of the more experienced players to play with them.  Fortunately, the Rangers are more focused on marketing than winning.

8 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

I would break up that kid line and move around some of the more experienced players to play with them.

That line has managed a whopping five points combined so far in this series...four of them came on garbage-time goals in Games 1 and 2, with two of those coming on an empty-netter in Game 1.  Lafailure is pointless so far.

Yet people still talk about them in some circles like they have something going on.  What exactly?  

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That line has managed a whopping five points combined so far in this series...four of them came on garbage-time goals in Games 1 and 2, with two of those coming on an empty-netter in Game 1.  Lafailure is pointless so far.

Yet people still talk about them in some circles like they have something going on.  What exactly?  

I agree, I don’t think that line is effective, but I do think there is some talent there. 

So tired of people with their fake karma bullsh!t, like any of this nonsense matters in the somehow grand scheme of life. 

People have literally got away with murder and never had anything bad happen to them yet somehow a stupid song is gonna swing the balance of some cosmic bullsh!t, fvck outta here

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It's been a pretty effective line this season. It's just hard to forget the fact that Kakko and Lafreniere were expected to be much more than they are. 

14 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

So tired of people with their fake karma bullsh!t, like any of this nonsense matters in the somehow grand scheme of life. 

People have literally got away with murder and never had anything bad happen to them yet somehow a stupid song is gonna swing the balance of some cosmic bullsh!t, fvck outta here

THE UNIVERSE HEARS BRAH. IT CARES ABOUT HOCKEY.

Milky Way Art GIF by xponentialdesign

• Haha 1