GDT - Devils vs Rags Game 7 --Devils move on!

NJDfan1711

10 minutes ago, Patrick Sundstrom Ghost said:

Congratulations everyone, what a great night it was, this was like 94 to me or maybe even 87 in terms of feeling.

Now let's focus on Carolina, a really different team than the Rangers, but one I also think we are better than, especially with their key injuries.

Oh and fvck the Rangers, fvck their fans, fvck the media, fvck Toronto and the entire NHL hub central who wanted and tried their best to help NY win.

LFGD.

The Panthers better not so much as sneeze near any Leaf players or they'll be given five-minute majors for nasal flatulence.

11 minutes ago, Aznjsn said:

My first game 7 in person and boy was that a doozy. I don't think the hit on Meier was as dirty as it looked at first, but what I did have a problem with, was that sh!tsterkin skated over and stood over Meier while he was down, a few feet away. 

You can be a great goalie, but when you do classless stuff like that, then I have no sympathy for you with these Igor chants raining down like hail. 

What's done is done, goodbye New York! Our boys did their job now it's time to bring on the light rain.

One thing we learned about Shesterkin:  he's really friggin' good at stopping pucks, but he can be rattled.  Timo was definitely getting on his nerves.

And here's how you negate a top goalie's "advantage":

Shesterkin (Games 3-7):  12 GA, .921 save%

Schmid (Games 3-7):  7 GA, .951 save%

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Would love to see the Devils lower the video board and have some viewing parties at the arena if the arena is empty during the road games.

Really no excuse not to. Charge $5 and donate it to *insert charity* so they know how many people to expect to show up. 

That was one of the most fun parts of that 2012 run

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The Panthers better not so much as sneeze near any Leaf players or they'll be given five-minute majors for nasal flatulence.

One thing we learned about Shesterkin:  he's really friggin' good at stopping pucks, but he can be rattled.  Timo was definitely getting on his nerves.

And here's how you negate a top goalie's "advantage":

Shesterkin (Games 3-7):  12 GA, .921 save%

Schmid (Games 3-7):  7 GA, .951 save%

To have a .921 and go 1-4 has got to be insanely frustrating. He’s gotta be wondering what else he could possibly do.

Once again they go after the biggest names and not the best fit. God I hope Dolan owns this team forever. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Schmid’s final numbers for the series:

4-1

1.38 GAA

.951 SV%

2 shutouts 

He’s a 22 year old rookie ffs. Just absurd. And honestly it was always going to take goaltending like that to match Igor. 

I am ready to say, he is the goalie of the future for the Devils.  I appreciate what VV did during the regular season and he will be a great 1B.  Akira is so calm, his positioning is great, covers the net well, he handles the puck really well, he moves well for his size and he doesn’t allow many rebounds, when he does he swats most into the corners.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

I am ready to say, he is the goalie of the future for the Devils.  I appreciate what VV did during the regular season and he will be a great 1B.  Akira is so calm, his positioning is great, covers the net well, he handles the puck really well, he moves well for his size and he doesn’t allow many rebounds, when he does he swats most into the corners.

He appears to have the ability, but still early to know exactly what he'll be long term (can he handle a 1A role in NHL and the potential volume that comes with it, etc).  

That being said, I don't think that there's a Devils fan alive that isn't 100% comfortable with a goaltending tandem of VV and Schmid for next season.  

19 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

Yep, of course things can change and who knows we may need VV in this series, and he is on a reasonable contract & will have a large part of the future here, but Akira is the guy.

His stick work is the thing we don't talk about, he is the best since Marty, and I don't think it's close.

That is such a huge weapon that helps a defensive unit, that the Devils have been lacking for so long now.

How many times have we seen dump ins where our defense gets attacked and turnovers lead to goals, with a goalie with good athleticism to get behind the net plus the ability to move the puck, it makes things so much easier.

Oh and the money, the money is another lotto ticket for this team, Akira plus Bahl doing what he is, it really is amazing how well they are going to be setup for the long term health Cap wise for this decade plus run we are just starting.

Edited by Patrick Sundstrom Ghost
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He appears to have the ability, but still early to know exactly what he'll be long term (can he handle a 1A role in NHL and the potential volume that comes with it, etc).  

That being said, I don't think that there's a Devils fan alive that isn't 100% comfortable with a goaltending tandem of VV and Schmid for next season.  

Forget next season right now.

They have as good a shot as anyone now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Presale is going on right now for round 2 tickets, looking at the prices now for it and I can't believe they are charging this much for Carolina. I expected it to be cheaper than the first round since its not the rangers but it's the same prices in a lot of areas. 

How much are we talking? I am actually considering flying up.

49 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Forget next season right now.

They have as good a shot as anyone now.

I was responding to Puckbuster about Akira potentially being the goalie of the future.  Not sure why I'm being ordered to "forget next season right now", when it wasn't like I was even going into any real depth about 2023-24.  All I was getting at was we're all fine with VV and Schmid being the tandem for next year (and right now of course).  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

To have a .921 and go 1-4 has got to be insanely frustrating. He’s gotta be wondering what else he could possibly do.

Once again they go after the biggest names and not the best fit. God I hope Dolan owns this team forever. 

Shesterkin has a .935 save% and a 2.12 GAA over his last 23 playoff games...he hasn't given up more than three goals in ANY of them.  The Rangers' record over those 23 games?  12-11.

Yeah that's the kind of sh!t that can wear on a guy quick.  Not to mention that he'll turn 28 years old next December...not like he's old of course, but he's now very firmly in his prime and as we know, no telling as to how long a guy in his late 20s will enjoy being at his peak.