Brunette to Nashville

mikemarc1

9 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Damn. Really thought he'd be our future head coach.

I hope Fitz knows what he's doing, sticking with Lindy

I was all for him too initially but not impressed with his work with the Devils' power play.

I suspect he took the "associate" coach job with the understanding that the head coaching gig would be his before too long.  And though Lindy's obviously been given some vote of confidence, I think the fact that he's still here is more of a reflection of Fitz souring on Brunette just enough.  Not sure the whole golf cart incident did him any favors.

Maybe Dineen joins the big club's coaching staff?  Maybe Brylin's tasked with more?  Yeah no idea where Fitz goes next.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I was all for him too initially but not impressed with his work with the Devils' power play.

I suspect he took the "associate" coach job with the understanding that the head coaching gig would be his before too long.  And though Lindy's obviously been given some vote of confidence, I think the fact that he's still here is more of a reflection of Fitz souring on Brunette just enough.  Not sure the whole golf cart incident did him any favors.

Maybe Dineen joins the big club's coaching staff?  Maybe Brylin's tasked with more?  Yeah no idea where Fitz goes next.

Is Brylin with us? I thought I saw somewhere just a month or two ago that he was with some other organization, and I remember being pretty surprised. But I could be thinking of someone else...

8 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Is Brylin with us? I thought I saw somewhere just a month or two ago that he was with some other organization, and I remember being pretty surprised. But I could be thinking of someone else...

Didn't see or hear anything about Brylin going elsewhere.  Just did a quick search and nothing came up. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

So, an ex NJ head coach replaced by an ex NJ associate coach? Lol. Can't see that there will be too many takers for a Hynes services. He's hardly set the world alight.

Yeah think DBA's time as a NHL head coach might be up.  And it would be nice to stop seeing all of these retreads getting chance after chance.  Feels like the NHL coaching ranks need some new blood.  

Well the next guy gets to inherit a power play that consists of J. Hughes, Hischier, Meier, Hamilton, and L. Hughes. 

Shouldn’t be any shortage of takers. I’m kind of indifferent towards Brunette leaving tbh. Glad it’s not Columbus though, just in case he does turn into a decent HC again. 

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And it would be nice to stop seeing all of these retreads getting chance after chance.  Feels like the NHL coaching ranks need some new blood.  

Right? I had to roll my eyes at the Rags likely going for Lav. He’s the king of all retreads. 

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah think DBA's time as a NHL head coach might be up.  And it would be nice to stop seeing all of these retreads getting chance after chance.  Feels like the NHL coaching ranks need some new blood.  

Washington did hire Spencer Carbery, so that at least is someone different.

So…. Who replaces Brunette?

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Right? I had to roll my eyes at the Rags likely going for Lav. He’s the king of all retreads. 

I actually find that rather amusing.  2-3 years later he and Drury will be shown the door.  And 2-3 more years will have gone by without the Rangers winning a Cup.

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

Washington did hire Spencer Carbery, so that at least is someone different.

So…. Who replaces Brunette?

I did see that and it's a (much needed) start.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I actually find that rather amusing.  2-3 years later he and Drury will be shown the door.  And 2-3 more years will have gone by without the Rangers winning a Cup.

Yep. And I don’t think he’ll be good for the kids at all. 

13 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Yep. And I don’t think he’ll be good for the kids at all. 

He's coached in every single NHL season since 2001-02 (obviously not all full-season campaigns).  Maybe the guy should sit out for just one season?  I guess he loves to coach, how could he not, to keep coming back year after year after year...but in all this time, he's reached three SCF (he did win one, though that was a kooky season).  His teams have made the playoffs a bunch but often haven't done that much upon getting there.

Feels like an uncreative "safe" hire by Drury here, in a lot of ways.

4 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

Damn kind of surprising for the fact that I thought (assumed) Lindy was going to take a different role with the team and Brunette was going to be the next coach. Oh well. The team really seemed to rally behind Ruff. 

I don't think is necessarily the best hockey mind to have behind the bench, but his players do genuinely seem to like him, and they do play hard for him.  In some ways I think they almost played a little TOO hard for him, crazy as that sounds...I think in the years to come, the kids will realize that finishing with as many points as possible isn't THAT important in the NHL...I think you will a handful of games where the Devils will simply say "We're not killing ourselves tonight...we're effectively taking this night off, and then we'll be in better physical shape to handle some other games)."  Of course no one wants to see those games and it sucks if it's a game you bought tix to, but given some of the goofy scheduling that ALL teams have to endure, I get that there will be 5-7 games where some teams simply know that it's not happening those nights.

On a side note, that makes the idea of an 84-game schedule absurd to me.  I'd rather see the NHL go back to 80 myself.  But of course, the new thinking among commishes is that more is somehow better.  It isn't.  These guys need breathers and occasional rest within a long season.  

• Like 2

On 5/31/2023 at 7:21 AM, Puckbuster said:

Good bye, good luck.  I don’t think he was a difference maker in the future success of the team.  Just my opinion.

We'll see soon enough - team took a record jump up in the standings.

All due to Ruff, or was his staff pulling some serious weight?

16 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I think Brunette was definitely helping to make an impact earlier on.  Power play did improve under Brunette BUT it was hard to imagine that it wouldn't...Recchi had a history of being a lousy PP coach and that didn't change once he came here.  Also there was too much young talent for the power play not to get better...but it still seemed like it wasn't as productive as it should have been.

The Devils' coaching staff in general seemed to struggle with adjustments, once the league caught onto what they were doing (remember how the Devils were slamming opponents in shot differential when they went on that 21-2-1 bender)...not that they were bad after that of course...after their one real extended slump, they went 28-10-5 to close out the season.  And of course, Ruff & Co found a way to stuff the Rangers in Games 5 and 7, which after Games 1 and 2 seemed like a pipe dream.

Ruff's never going to give me the warm and fuzzies, but we'll see how much of this past season was due to Brunette's presence soon.  Recchi and nASS were clearly an issue prior...still have no idea how nASS lasted as long as he did here.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Maybe, but I think guys like Jack and Nico were just ready to break out no matter who was coaching them. Those two and Bratt had all taken significant steps the year before even before Brunette.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2023 at 9:00 AM, Devilsfan118 said:

I’m sure Brunette helped the team, but I think the Devils need to build a better team for future success.

That said, I’m happy he is getting an opportunity to be head coach and I do wish him success.

• Like 1