2023-2024 Around The League thread

MadDog2020

37 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I saw Shakir play in Austin and he looked like the only Barracuda that had played hockey before. I hope he kicks some ass in camp and makes the team.

And that's actually a GOOD thing for the Devils if he turns out to be a good player for the Sharks...if enough of your prospects don't make it when given looks with their new teams, over time that can make other GMs hesitant to want to trade for your franchise's promising (but unproven) kids.  

8 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Assistant GM for Calgary, only 42 and been dealing with ALS for awhile, 2 young kids, such sad news... 

His perseverance and resilience in the face of impossible odds was downright admirable.

I hope nothing but the best for his family as they grieve and, eventually, celebrate what he was able to show the world even after the death sentence diagnosis 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Biz is a tool, but I’m right with him on his Rags take 🤣

I think having the Rangers missing the playoffs is over the top, but yeah, obviously when it comes to their collective fate being tied into Shesterkin being at the top of his game, yeah, that I agree with.  Their forwards are getting old...only the Kid Line is in their 20s at this point. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think having the Rangers missing the playoffs is over the top, but yeah, obviously when it comes to their collective fate being tied into Shesterkin being at the top of his game, yeah, that I agree with.  Their forwards are getting old...only the Kid Line is in their 20s at this point. 

I’m with you there, it’s the frauds thing. He called their players and fans frauds, and I love that, because they are.

10 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I’m with you there, it’s the frauds thing. He called their players and fans frauds, and I love that, because they are.

I’m not even really afraid of them at this point.  Buffalo though…I could see some tough ECFs coming up with them in the very near future.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

This stuff makes me cringe.  Whatever sport you played, imagine if a guy who was literally one of the worst players in the league and was lucky to even suit up on a given night was out there calling you a fraud?   I hate the Rangers, hate the big city bright lights bullsh!t, can't stand Trouba, laugh that their kid line all suck, think their ownership and GM are trash for making moves like Kane and Tarasenko at the deadline but "Frauds"?    

17 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

This stuff makes me cringe.  Whatever sport you played, imagine if a guy who was literally one of the worst players in the league and was lucky to even suit up on a given night was out there calling you a fraud?   I hate the Rangers, hate the big city bright lights bullsh!t, can't stand Trouba, laugh that their kid line all suck, think their ownership and GM are trash for making moves like Kane and Tarasenko at the deadline but "Frauds"?    

It's for the Lols and clicks. I wouldn't take this stuff so literally. Frauds in a sense they're supposed to do something, what feels like, every year and fall flat of expectations. Biz wasn't a good player but he also wasn't a fraud lol. He is a tool!

I agree on calling the fans frauds though-- they're not frauds they just picked a sh!t team... And dumb.

Edited by NJDevils1214

30 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Oh come on, lighten up and enjoy it. Who cares if Biz warmed bench? Not like he’s not completely self aware about it, he makes fun of himself all the time. Yes, frauds. fvck them.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Here's why I think that the "frauds" label has some level of truth to it, as far as the team goes:

Starting with snagging Panarin and Trouba before the 2019-20 season as their "We're baaaaaaack" moves, along having a 2OA and then a 1OA fall into their laps, adding a top goalie from within (kudos to them for drafting him several years ago), then having Fox basically will himself to the Rangers, and of course be aggressive buyers at the deadline...what have the Rangers really done with this window, outside of take advantage of a couple of teams that saw their primary goalies suffer injuries?  They needed 7 games just to get past Pittsburgh, who saw friggin' CINCO DOMINGO start 5 straight games in that series!  And then needed 7 games to get past the Canes, who were without THEIR top goalie vs the Rangers.

Then you have Valiquette actually saying "The Rangers have to be the favorite to win the Cup" after the deals for Tarasenko and Kane...and of course, a team with little playoff experience knocks them out in the first round.

So yeah, given how good their fans ACT like that team is, and with some of the names on the roster (who are making serious coin), I'd say the Rangers are kinda fradulent, heh heh.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Oh come on, lighten up and enjoy it. Who cares if Biz warmed bench? Not like he’s not completely self aware about it, he makes fun of himself all the time. Yes, frauds. fvck them.

I get the whole hot take thing and that Biz does joke about himself.   I guess I meant it more from a players point of view than me being personally offended.   Imagine being someone like Kreider or Zibanejad and having to answer questions about Biz calling your team and fans frauds.   Spittin Chicklets is big enough now that when comments like that are made, the players are going to be asked about it.    That's where it makes me cringe.    

1 minute ago, Lateralous said:

I get the whole hot take thing and that Biz does joke about himself.   I guess I meant it more from a players point of view than me being personally offended.   Imagine being someone like Kreider or Zibanejad and having to answer questions about Biz calling your team and fans frauds.   Spittin Chicklets is big enough now that when comments like that are made, the players are going to be asked about it.    That's where it makes me cringe.    

Think about some of the dorkier writers who never played a game in their lives calling out coaches and players in their articles.  I gotta think some NHLers take a look and think "THIS fvcking guy is criticizing me?!  How about YOU get on the ice and show me how to play!  Since you got it all figured out from the press booth!"  I know Torts could always be a d!ck when he wanted to be, but I sure he looked at Brooks and thought "Oh yeah, I really have to answer to THAT dweeb about my coaching strategies!"

Biz obviously had a forgettable career, but he did manage to play 202 games over parts of 6 seasons.  Plenty of guys (including VERY high draft picks) who can't say that.  

Just now, Devil Dan 56 said:

I think we won that trade

Because they just HAD to make room for Petry, who is no longer on the team.

Curious to see if Ty gets claimed.  

48 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

It's just bombastic stuff to try to upset Rags fans on Twitter. He also calls them Fugheyzees, which is an entirely made up smear/word that he uses for the team and its fanbase. I don't envision any Rangers stars in the near future being asked about how the word "Fugheyzee" makes them feel. 

Despite getting big, I don't feel like they've really changed it up much over the years and they just speak their minds. They've become pretty good interviewers too. Show obviously has a lot of influence such as with the whole Babcock saga but it's still just former pros talking hockey with former and current pros. 

I tend to zone out when they start talking non-hockey or crying about politics or golf, but I've watched a few of the sandbaggers and it's the most entertaining I've ever seen golf presented. 

Edited by RizzMB30

49 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I love that they’ll be asked about it; maybe it’ll remind them of what a sh!tty organization they represent 🤣

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I think we won that trade

Yikes. I'm still hoping he figures out the defensive side of the puck as I usually like to root for those undersized dmen to figure it out. The other guys to watch this year are the guys we sent over to the Sharks. I want to see how Okhotiyuk, Zetterlund, and Muk look. 

Edited by RizzMB30

28 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

Yikes. I'm still hoping he figures out the defensive side of the puck as I usually like to root for those undersized dmen to figure it out. The other guys to watch this year are the guys we sent over to the Sharks. I want to see how Okhotiyuk, Zetterlund, and Muk look. 

Really was hoping he would figure it out. He had a ton of promise and seems like a good kid. He had that great camp and get sent back to the WHL then didn't come back the same. Maybe he needs a mental coach, like Bratt got.