2023-2024 Around The League thread

MadDog2020

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Interesting. Looks like Fitz wanted another year of Tatar and then pivoted to the Toffoli trade at the draft when Tatar wanted more years. I definitely prefer Toffoli but Tatar was much better last season than the one before that. 

Come on dude! I already posted about this yesterday! Gawd. 😉

I think we got too many threads going on.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Makes me curious to see how Dawson's negotiations will go when the time comes.  Fitz has done a great job with re-signing guys so far, and Dawson does really seem to want to be a part of this thing going forward.  Hope it goes smoothly.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Makes me curious to see how Dawson's negotiations will go when the time comes.  Fitz has done a great job with re-signing guys so far, and Dawson does really seem to want to be a part of this thing going forward.  Hope it goes smoothly.

I think Dawson will drink the Fitz-Aid, I just hope the cap goes up as much as everyone thinks it will.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Ty Smith cleared waivers. Man, what a fall from that All Rookie Team season. 

Damn, no one willing to take him for free?!  Ouch.

10 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Ty Smith cleared waivers. Man, what a fall from that All Rookie Team season. 

That’s crazy.   He was one of my favorite Devils picks ever.   Top picks are a little different because there isn’t the same drama to see if “your” guy will still be there later in the draft.  I was as excited when he “fell” to us in the draft as I was when Parise fell.  There wasn’t the same coverage back then but Sykora falling was also intriguing.   If I remember correctly, Smith was ranked top 10 in the hockey news.  

He seemed to be right on track during his D+1 year and his rookie year but maybe that first training camp where Hynes was really as negative as I’ve ever heard a coach about a young guy should have been a bigger red flag than it originally seemed (I don’t put much stock in anything Hynes says, he still sucks).   Oh well, all credit to Fitz for turning him into John Marino.  

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Lateralous said:

That’s crazy.   He was one of my favorite Devils picks ever.   Top picks are a little different because there isn’t the same drama to see if “your” guy will still be there later in the draft.  I was as excited when he “fell” to us in the draft as I was when Parise fell.  There wasn’t the same coverage back then but Sykora falling was also intriguing.   If I remember correctly, Smith was ranked top 10 in the hockey news.  

He seemed to be right on track during his D+1 year and his rookie year but maybe that first training camp where Hynes was really as negative as I’ve ever heard a coach about a young guy should have been a bigger red flag than it originally seemed (I don’t put much stock in anything Hynes says, he still sucks).   Oh well, all credit to Fitz for turning him into John Marino.  

I think he has to tear up the AHL or I don't think he's brought back. 

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

A reminder: we got John Marino for a guy who can’t clear waivers. Fitz is a wizard. 

The funny (for us) thing about this is that friggin’ Hextall decided that Marino’s salary was a PROBLEM!  A guy locked up to EXTREMELY reasonable AAV and term who happens to be really REALLY good at what he does!

Hextall just HAD to dump that salary to make room for Jeff Petry!  I swear Hextall was the friggin’ anti-Fitz of GMs.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

On 9/30/2023 at 12:20 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The funny (for us) thing about this is that friggin’ Hextall decided that Marino’s salary was a PROBLEM!  A guy locked up to EXTREMELY reasonable AAV and term who happens to be really REALLY good at what he does!

Hextall just HAD to dump that salary to make room for Jeff Petry!  I swear Hextall was the friggin’ anti-Fitz of GMs.

Hextall thought that Marino was just a Ty Smith who wasn't living up to his offensive potential and that Petry has size and offense on Marino. 

Textbook example of why you don't always give up on a player or scapegoat him when you have a good defense.

8 minutes ago, ajsgolf said:

Just curious of who here is going to opening night?  I’m most likely going to, still figuring out some logistics.

Can't go to opening night (daughter has tennis and I want to watch that opening game with her, so taking that first one in at home), but going to the second game (with a bud).  I want to go to at least 20 regular season games this year, maybe more.  My daughter's school workload is insane (she's now a high school sophomore), so we're basically limited to Fri/Sat/Sun and occasional weekdays when she has the following day off.  School's gotta come first; sometimes we start the games on TV at 8:30 or so, so she can get her homework done.  Not so bad because we blow through stoppages in play and commercials and the between-period intermissions.    

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Can't go to opening night (daughter has tennis and I want to watch that opening game with her, so taking that first one in at home), but going to the second game (with a bud).  I want to go to at least 20 regular season games this year, maybe more.  My daughter's school workload is insane (she's now a high school sophomore), so we're basically limited to Fri/Sat/Sun and occasional weekdays when she has the following day off.  School's gotta come first; sometimes we start the games on TV at 8:30 or so, so she can get her homework done.  Not so bad because we blow through stoppages in play and commercials and the between-period intermissions.    

Do you have a concern when she gets older at some point she won’t be as interested in watching or going to games as she currently is?  I certainly hope that’s not the case.  I have 2 boys, one is def more interested than the other and pretty sure he’ll always remain interested but am guessing it can sometimes be different when someone has girls.

30 minutes ago, ajsgolf said:

Do you have a concern when she gets older at some point she won’t be as interested in watching or going to games as she currently is?  I certainly hope that’s not the case.  I have 2 boys, one is def more interested than the other and pretty sure he’ll always remain interested but am guessing it can sometimes be different when someone has girls.

Meh, there's girls who are interested in watching and/or playing sports and boys who aren't, and vice-versa...I don't make any assumptions based on gender.

This being said, my daughter is not a multi-sport fan, like I am...hockey is my #1, but I'm also a big Mets (MLB) and Pats (NFL) fan.  Basketball simply never took.  My daughter would rather watch paint dry than watch baseball or football with me, heh heh.  She has ZERO interest.  Even though she plays tennis (this is her second year playing JV doubles), she also has little interest in watching tennis on TV.

She enjoys hockey a lot, knows all the players now, can recognize penalties and knows some nuances to the game.  Do I expect that some nights she'll have already made plans to do something with her friends (or a boyfriend sometime down the line) when I could take her to a game?  Sure...but that's to be expected.  I'm not going to pretend she's as completely into the Devils as I am, but not many fans are.  She does love to go and to watch them on TV with me...if it happens a little less as she gets deeper into her teen years, so be it.  I'll just enjoy the games that we do go to (or watch at home) as much as possible.    

OK, so Hellebuyck and Scheifele both stay in Winnipeg, 7 years each, for identical $8.5 million AAV cap hits.

Just glad it's not the Devils who gave that kind of money to Hellebuyck.  This contract will cover his Age 31-37 seasons (kicks in next season)...he should have about 500 regular season games under his belt by the time this extension begins.  That's a lot of mileage...he'll move up to about 78th on the all-time list, if he reaches 500 GP.  Exactly 16 goalies in the entire HISTORY of the NHL have played in over 800 games...so how much will Hellebuyck have in his tank?  And how many peak years does he have left?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Just glad it's not the Devils who gave that kind of money to Hellebuyck.  This contract will cover his Age 31-37 seasons (kicks in next season)...he should have about 500 regular season games under his belt by then.  That's a lot of mileage...he'll move up to about 78th on the all-time list, if he reaches 500 GP.  Exactly 16 goalies in the entire HISTORY of the NHL have played in over 800 games...so how much will Hellebuyck have in his tank?  And how many peak years does he have left?

Bingo, nailed it.  8.5M for years 31 through 37 is a great way to absolutely destroy your cap and future flexibility, even with the cap going up.

• Like 1

Just now, Devilsfan118 said:

Bingo, nailed it.  8.5M for years 31 through 37 is a great way to absolutely destroy your cap and future flexibility, even with the cap going up.

WPG trying their hardest to squeeze the last bit of hope out of their core. Maybe it works or maybe they just kicked the can down the road a bit.

Topic adjacent - - I really think Arizona are going to start being more competitive here and with that... Where are teams going to be sending their dumpster fire contracts they need to offload? I really don't see Grier and Verbeek being down for that like Arizona was for so long.