2023-2024 NJ Devils season thread

MadDog2020

7 minutes ago, SKA1989 said:

If Fitz trades him for a first + player, I want nothing to do with that first except for him to package it for a goalie.

I wouldnt mind trading 2 firsts away if it get us a legitimate starting goalie.   I really don't want to see a backup that we try at starter  re: VV
Logan Thompson may be the exception?    Until Adin Hill emerged, he was looking like the starter in Vegas.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, aylbert said:

I wouldnt mind trading 2 firsts away if it get us a legitimate starting goalie.   I really don't want to see a backup that we try at starter  re: VV
Logan Thompson may be the exception?    Until Adin Hill emerged, he was looking like the starter in Vegas.

I would trade two firsts to Nashville for Askarov. Including a top 10.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, aylbert said:

Yeah Thompson was the starter post Lehner last year before he got hurt and let Hill emerge out of nowhere 

7 minutes ago, aylbert said:

I don't think either Markstrom or Ullmark are the answer and I'm not sure how happy I'd be if we ended up with either one.  I think the goalie pool opens up a little more if you're offering two firsts, one being a lottery pick.

Posted (edited)

Two firsts and Holtz to Nashville for Askarov. Swap Holtz and Mercer if Nashville doesn’t want Holtz. That would be my offer to Trotz. I think it’s more than fair. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Two firsts and Holtz to Nashville for Askarov. Swap Holtz and Mercer if Nashville doesn’t want Holtz. That would be my offer to Trotz. I think it’s more than fair. 

Better be daaaaaaaaamn sure about Askarov to offer that kind of loot...but the potential of such a deal if it were to work out could solve the goaltending issue for MANY years, where you're basically only worrying about who the backup's gonna be.

Nashville would have to be willing to commit hard to Saros though...not sure if they want to pay up for him.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Better be daaaaaaaaamn sure about Askarov to offer that kind of loot...but the potential of such a deal if it were to work out could solve the goaltending issue for MANY years, where you're basically only worrying about who the backup's gonna be.

Nashville would have to be willing to commit hard to Saros though...not sure if they want to pay up for him.  

Askarov is the only goalie I’d trade that package for. And I’d feel confident in it working out because he’s killing it in the AHL, was a first rounder, and is Russian. The last guy to fit that exact description is named Andrei Vasilevsky.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I would honestly rather give up Mercer than Holtz...
And Schmid or Daws are more than capable for backup duties.

Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

Nashville are probably more inclined to trade Saros than Askarov given their window.

That’s why you have to entice them with a crazy package. Saros is 29. They can still have him fit their timeline. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I think Fitz knows there’s no point. 

The point at this point would be not to completely blow up the kids' confidence.  Let Vitek and some retread eat the last twenty games of the season, they've already blown up Daws for a while.

• Like 1

This was hinted by Darren Dreger on Flames Barn Burner today.

He said there is a tentative trade in place, Devils and Conroy have agreed to a trade. But Flames upper management and ownership had said no over the past couple days.

This tracks with what I've been told for weeks.  Not sure how this changes in the next 24 hrs.

Button on NHL Radio as I type this -- they are listing all the goalies that Lindy had as head coach of the Devils and are just astounded that anyone thinks it his fault.

Button: "They needed a goalie in September, October, November, December, January, February -- and they still need one now. Fitzgerald let this team down.  Going into this year with a young D group and that goalie group was major mismanagement."

But what does he know.

FWIW he thinks CAL waits until summer when there will be more suitors and return higher.

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

That’s why you have to entice them with a crazy package. Saros is 29. They can still have him fit their timeline. 

Teams usually don't draft a kid like that to trade him...yeah, the Devils would have to pony up for him big-time to get them to consider moving him.  You might be looking at Holtz/Dawson (one or the other), two firsts (hopefully you can snag one of these in a deal for Toffoli to flip in this deal), and Casey to get their attention.  Yeah, it's a LOT.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Teams usually don't draft a kid like that to trade him...yeah, the Devils would have to pony up for him big-time to get them to consider moving him.  You might be looking at Holtz/Dawson (one or the other), two firsts (hopefully you can snag one of these in a deal for Toffoli to flip in this deal), and Casey to get their attention.  Yeah, it's a LOT.  

It’s a lot, but I’d do it and not think twice. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

Are there even any rumors in us being interested in askarov? Or are we just making conversation here

Fitz would much rather Saros.  He is done relying on anyone remotely unproven.  That's blown up in his face too many times.

Word is he has lots of preferred options before Askarov -- Markstrom, Ullmark, Swayman, Saros.

But beggars like Fitz can't be choosers.

Edited by smelly
  • Like 1

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

It’s a lot, but I’d do it and not think twice. 

Yeah I think I'd have to do it too.

You can make the argument that Luke and Nemec make Casey a luxury more than a necessity, one of the firsts being given up would be a "bonus" first that was acquired from dealing a UFA, and you're banking that neither Dawson nor Holtz will become stars (though either could obviously have a solid NHL career when it's all said and done).

1 minute ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

Are there even any rumors in us being interested in askarov? Or are we just making conversation here

Just conversation.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, smelly said:

Fitz would much rather Saros.  He is done relying on anyone remotely unproven.  That's blown up in his face too many times.

I’m down with Saros too, but I’m not trading two firsts and Holtz, etc. Trotz needs to get that through his skull.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 2

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

I’m down with Saros too, but I’m not trading two firsts and Holtz, etc. Trotz needs to get that through his skull.

Definitely not without an extension in place.  Can't lose him as a UFA if you're even thinking about giving up this much.

• Like 2

Watch Fitz trade for Askarov with Holtz as part of the package. Brunette unlocks Holtz’s 40+ goal upside. Rogalski ruins Askarov. Almost a foregone conclusion if that trade happens. 

• Like 1
  • Vomiting 1