official off topic thread

pumpkin cutter

2 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

I went to a bunch of games during the lockout year, even have a jersey. The son use to be above the ice in like a suite and would scream and yell the entire game. Was absolutely hilarious lol

At the Meigray expo, out of all the Rupp gamers people brought (first NHL game, Stanley Cup Finals, etc) the one that seemed to get the most attention was this guy having one of his Trashers gamers.  Even Rupp mentioned it when he spoke.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Holy fvcking sh! that's above the dugouts, that means the locker rooms are completely filled to the ceiling too..... 

I remember very similar imagery when it was flooded during Floyd in 1999.

IIRC when the Saddledome was flooded a few years back it was back up and running within only a few weeks.  I can imagine that would be the same case with the Patriots.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

If you have Netflix, I would advise you all catch the new documentary under the Untold series called Crime and Penalties.  It is about the Danbury Trashers who existed for only 2 seasons in the UHL back in 04-05 and 05-06.  Mike Rupp actually talked about his time when he was the guest speaker at the Meigray expo a few years back.

For those of you who don't know the background the long story short is: Mobster buys UHL team, puts his 17 year old son as President and GM.  The kid promptly decides to fill the roster with goons (such as Rumun Ndur) and later on players like Mike Rupp (he only played a dozen or so games with them).  The team turns into pretty much a real-life version of Slap Shot.

Some buddies and I had season tickets for  their last season and they ended going to the finals. Those home games were wild ask season long . Section 101 was where I first heard the  "hey you suck" chant along with several other very  colorful chants. We even went up to Glens Falls for a road game. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

I went to a bunch of games during the lockout year, even have a jersey. The son use to be above the ice in like a suite and would scream and yell the entire game. Was absolutely hilarious lol

Great memories, we made the trip up there a few times as well.  Holy hell looking back at those rosters the two years they were in the league is crazy. They were a literally a LNAH team. Their rosters loaded with maniacs. Guys would come in play a few games, rack up a sh!tload of PIMS get suspended and disappear back to the LNAH type leagues in Canada. Hockey fights has them at 74 fights for the 05-06 season. Can't find count for 04-05. But just look at the names and pims on these rosters. Even had Gretzky for a season :)

04-05 Roster

05-06 Roster

Edited by titans04
  • Haha 1

On 9/2/2021 at 3:17 PM, DevsMan84 said:

If you have Netflix, I would advise you all catch the new documentary under the Untold series called Crime and Penalties.  It is about the Danbury Trashers who existed for only 2 seasons in the UHL back in 04-05 and 05-06.  Mike Rupp actually talked about his time when he was the guest speaker at the Meigray expo a few years back.

For those of you who don't know the background the long story short is: Mobster buys UHL team, puts his 17 year old son as President and GM.  The kid promptly decides to fill the roster with goons (such as Rumun Ndur) and later on players like Mike Rupp (he only played a dozen or so games with them).  The team turns into pretty much a real-life version of Slap Shot.

This was really entertaining btw. Thanks. 

• Like 1

On 9/2/2021 at 9:56 PM, jagknife said:

Guys, I really hope you all doing well up north. Ida whipped us as she departed and side swiped us last weekend, the worst we really had was hunkering down in the bathroom with the kids and dogs as a tornado warning popped and there was one that dropped w/in a mile here.

Glad you made it through ok my man. 

Had minor flooding in my office, only had damage to the doors and moldings. Lost no client files and no personal items, so I am pretty happy about that. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Glad you made it through ok my man. 

Had minor flooding in my office, only had damage to the doors and moldings. Lost no client files and no personal items, so I am pretty happy about that. 

That's awesome, glad to hear it.

Invest 91 is taking aim at the Gulf Coast again, but thankfully it doesn't look like it will get much stronger than a tropical storm.

Damn, apparently Michael K Williams (Omar from The Wire) was found dead in his NYC apartment. The Wire is my second favorite show of all time, and Omar was certainly one of the most iconic characters in tv history. I actually think my very first avatar on this board was Omar wearing a Devils jersey. :(

RIP

• Sad 2

On 8/11/2021 at 3:48 PM, DevsMan84 said:

So last weekend the SiriusXM station 80's on 8 had a special to celebrate the 40th anniversary of MTV.  In addition to a reunion of the original (living) VJ's, they also played the first videos shown on MTV in order.  I have known this for years, but they stated again that the only place that got MTV on that first night was a part of northern NJ as very few cable systems carried them (cable was still a pretty new thing back then).

Also, here is the list of the first 25 music videos they played that night.  It was heavy on guys like The Who and Rod Stewart because not many bands were making music videos back then so their library was very limited and those bands already made a bunch.  I know most of the songs but a few evade me.

1. “Video Killed the Radio Star” by The Buggles
  2. “You Better Run" by Pat Benatar
  3. “She Won't Dance With Me" by Rod Stewart
  4. “You Better You Bet" by The Who
  5. "Little Suzi's on the Up" by Ph. D.
  6. "We Don't Talk Anymore" by Cliff Richard
  7. “Brass in Pocket" by The Pretenders
  8. “Time Heals" by Todd Rundgren
  9. “Take It on the Run” by REO Speedwagon
  10. “Rockin’ the Paradise” by Styx
  11. "When Things Go Wrong" by Robin Lane and the Chartbusters
  12. "History Never Repeats" by Split Enz
  13. “Hold On Loosely” by 38 Special
  14. “Just Between You and Me” by April Wine
  15. “Sailing” by Rod Stewart
  16. “Iron Maiden” by Iron Maiden
  17. “Keep On Loving You” by REO Speedwagon
  18. “Bluer Than Blue” by Michael Johnson
  19. “Message of Love” by The Pretenders
  20. “Mr. Briefcase” by Lee Ritenour
  21. “Double Life” by The Cars
  22. “In The Air Tonight” by Phil Collins
  23. “Looking for Clues” by Robert Palmer
  24. “Too Late” by Shoes
  25. “Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around” by Stevie Nicks and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Seeing this list made me want to listen to "Hold on Loosely," and that sweet, sweet guitar solo by Jeff Carlisi. 

And this is the second thread on NJDevs where Toto is discussed! 

4 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

Seeing this list made me want to listen to "Hold on Loosely," and that sweet, sweet guitar solo by Jeff Carlisi. 

The Devils came out to “Hold On Loosely” in the early part of the 1993-94 season…I always liked that song a lot (and “Caught Up In You”), but to this day, when I hear “Hold On Loosely”, I still picture those 93-94 Devils coming out onto the ice.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Damn, apparently Michael K Williams (Omar from The Wire) was found dead in his NYC apartment. The Wire is my second favorite show of all time, and Omar was certainly one of the most iconic characters in tv history. I actually think my very first avatar on this board was Omar wearing a Devils jersey. :(

RIP

I think maybe you went a little far, not sure he’s quite that iconic, perhaps among people who have seen the show, but I am guessing a lot of people have no clue who that character is. 

It was an excellent portrayal and it’s a huge loss. 

On 9/2/2021 at 9:56 PM, jagknife said:

Guys, I really hope you all doing well up north. Ida whipped us as she departed and side swiped us last weekend, the worst we really had was hunkering down in the bathroom with the kids and dogs as a tornado warning popped and there was one that dropped w/in a mile here.

I had the white-knuckle drive of my life on Wednesday. Long story short, by the time I got to Woodland Park, NJ, where I live, there was no way home. I safely parked at the intersection of McBride and Lackawanna in the TD Bank lot and waited with my 10 year old daughter until the rain stopped and the floodwater receded. We got home at 3 am but alive, thank God. A quarter-mile from where we were parked, a woman was swept away by a raging Peckman River on Lackawanna. She got out of her car and was swept away, probably into the Passaic River. They still haven't found the woman. Just horrible.

Also on Lackawanna Avenue, the Camal Judo dojo where my son takes classes -- wrecked. The sensei said he had to be rescued and he lost his truck to floodwater. He was trying to salvage equipment but the water rose so quickly, before he knew it, water was chest high. He said he was rescued through a window. 

Edited by Jerrydevil
  • Sad 4

17 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The Devils came out to “Hold On Loosely” in the early part of the 1993-94 season…I always liked that song a lot (and “Caught Up In You”), but to this day, when I hear “Hold On Loosely”, I still picture those 93-94 Devils coming out onto the ice.  

That's a great association for that song. I remember when they played "The Boys Are Back in Town" at Continental Arena after a road trip.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nicomo said:

RIP

If you haven't seen Omar Comin', this is a terrific watch.  It's a super cut of all of Omar's scenes throughout the series.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jerrydevil said:

One of my top 5 favorite stations on my SiriusXM radio is Yacht Rock Radio.  It's essentially the Toto/Steely Dan/Fleetwood Mac/Doobie Bros/Dr. Hook channel with a few other artists sprinkled in.

11 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I was more partial to Caught Up in You, but Hold On Loosely is a good tune.  Also, for some reason, I also like their latter hit Second Chance.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I think maybe you went a little far, not sure he’s quite that iconic, perhaps among people who have seen the show, but I am guessing a lot of people have no clue who that character is. 

It was an excellent portrayal and it’s a huge loss. 

I have heard of the actor and the show, but I have not seen a single second of The Wire.  I may check it out eventually.

I had the white-knuckle drive of my life on Wednesday. Long story short, by the time I got to Woodland Park, NJ, where I live, there was no way home. I safely parked at the intersection of McBride and Lackawanna in the TD Bank lot and waited with my 10 year old daughter until the rain stopped and the floodwater receded. We got home at 3 am but alive, thank God. A quarter-mile from where we were parked, a woman was swept away by a raging Peckman River on Lackawanna. She got out of her car and was swept away, probably into the Passaic River. They still haven't found the woman. Just horrible.

Also on Lackawanna Avenue, the Camal Judo dojo where my son takes classes -- wrecked. The sensei said he had to be rescued and he lost his truck to floodwater. He was trying to salvage equipment but the water rose so quickly, before he knew it, water was chest high. He said he was rescued through a window. 

That's terrible but glad you made it out alright.

Yesterday I was reading in one of the FB groups where a person in either Bridgewater or Manville essentially had their house condemned because the hydrostatic pressure that was put on their basement walls were so great that one side started to noticeably bow inwards.

That's a great association for that song. I remember when they played "The Boys Are Back in Town" at Continental Arena after a road trip.

For me it is always "Devil Inside" by INXS that will forever be the Devils warmup song.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Highly recommend the show, and he was clearly the best character in it. 

He was incredible, no doubt.  But allow me to geek out and say that Bodie was the best in my opinion.  No matter what was thrown at him, the kid never wavered.  He was a soldier through and through.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Crisis said:

He was incredible, no doubt.  But allow me to geek out and say that Bodie was the best in my opinion.  No matter what was thrown at him, the kid never wavered.  He was a soldier through and through.

Controversial opinion, but I’ll allow it lol. 

3 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

One of my top 5 favorite stations on my SiriusXM radio is Yacht Rock Radio.  It's essentially the Toto/Steely Dan/Fleetwood Mac/Doobie Bros/Dr. Hook channel with a few other artists sprinkled in.

Michael MacDonald, Kenny Loggins and Christopher Cross, too. When I had Sirius in the car, I also had this station on a lot.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

I was more partial to Caught Up in You, but Hold On Loosely is a good tune.  Also, for some reason, I also like their latter hit Second Chance.

Funny you should mention "Second Chance"...I rememeber hearing that a number of times on the radio (I was 18 at the time, in college) and being stunned when I finally found out it was a .38 Special song.  It sounded SO different than the tunes that I knew them for.  Kind of fitting that it was released in 1989, just as the 80s were waning...it has a very 80s vibe to it.

Two funny things about .38 Special:  Since the "...for Dummies" books became a thing, I've considered .38 Special to be "Southern Rock for Dummies"...and in a way, that's exactly was the point with them...they wanted to make southern rock very accessible for the masses.  And the other...when you listen to and see the videos for "Hold On Loosely" and "Caught Up In You", was there ever a band that "needed" two drummers less than .38 Special?  We're not exactly talking Rush-level difficulty here.

15 hours ago, Jerrydevil said:

Yeah, I thought HOL worked, but I remember fans around kinda being like "Huh what?" when they heard it...maybe due to the genre?  It didn't last for that long...I wanna say it was replaced about a quarter-way through the season...I forget what replaced it.

I think for the 89-90 or 90-91 season, they came out to "Hearts On Fire" (from Rocky IV...it's what's playing over Rocky's training montage).  "Devil Inside" made sense given the lyrics, but to me it didn't have enough energy to be a "Here are your New Jersey Devils!" intro tune.  I remember "Standing On Top Of The World" back in the late 90s (or thereabouts).

The 81-82 Rockies not only used R&R Part 2 as their goal song...but also as their coming out on the ice tune as well.  Kinda weird.  A lot of teams didn't even have goal horns back then either...to me they're a big part of the celebration of a goal.  It's weird to see the Rockies score, then a split second later hearing R&R Part 2.  Feels like something's missing. 

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Funny you should mention "Second Chance"...I rememeber hearing that a number of times on the radio (I was 18 at the time, in college) and being stunned when I finally found out it was a .38 Special song.  It sounded SO different than the tunes that I knew them for.  Kind of fitting that it was released in 1989, just as the 80s were waning...it has a very 80s vibe to it.

Two funny things about .38 Special:  Since the "...for Dummies" books became a thing, I've considered .38 Special to be "Southern Rock for Dummies"...and in a way, that's exactly was the point with them...they wanted to make southern rock very accessible for the masses.  And the other...when you listen to and see the videos for "Hold On Loosely" and "Caught Up In You", was there ever a band that "needed" two drummers less than .38 Special?  We're not exactly talking Rush-level difficulty here.

Yeah, I thought HOL worked, but I remember fans around kinda being like "Huh what?" when they heard it...maybe due to the genre?  It didn't last for that long...I wanna say it was replaced about a quarter-way through the season...I forget what replaced it.

I think for the 89-90 or 90-91 season, they came out to "Hearts On Fire" (from Rocky IV...it's what's playing over Rocky's training montage).  "Devil Inside" made sense given the lyrics, but to me it didn't have enough energy to be a "Here are your New Jersey Devils!" intro tune.  I remember "Standing On Top Of The World" back in the late 90s (or thereabouts).

The 81-82 Rockies not only used R&R Part 2 as their goal song...but also as their coming out on the ice tune as well.  Kinda weird.  A lot of teams didn't even have goal horns back then either...to me they're a big part of the celebration of a goal.  It's weird to see the Rockies score, then a split second later hearing R&R Part 2.  Feels like something's missing. 

IIRC, Second Chance was sung by one of the other band members and not their usual lead singer like on their other hits.  You are 100% correct in saying that it had a very late 80's vibe to it.  It was definitely written to be a Lite FM hit.

"Southern Rock for Dummies" is a very accurate description of .38 Special.  Not only that, but Hold on Loosely, Caught Up in You, and Back Where You Belong sounds so similar to each other (at least to me), that anytime I hear one of them I think of this Simpsons clip.