Lindy Ruff RELIEVED Of duties, Green Temp Coach

Colorado Rockies 1976

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

He ain’t selling. 

If they lose the next two, hard to imagine that he won't sell.  There's no justification in not doing so.

Even if they win the next two, I'd still sell.  Hopefully he will.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Team would have to go 16-5 minimum (I think) to have any chance.  I don't see that happening, so yeah, in terms of that part of it, I can't agree with him about any small windows.  The window's been slammed shut for this season.  I'd need to see 8-9 straight wins before I could even begin to entertain such an idea.

Going to be hard going 16-5 or better when out of the gate you're planning to sit one of your best defenseman and give Chris Tierney 3rd line minutes. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nmigliore said:

Going to be impossible to go 16-5 or better when out of the gate you're planning to sit one of your best defenseman and give Chris Tierney 3rd line minutes. 

FIFY

Yeah there's just no way.  None.  

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You can also look at it as that this was a valuable (and obviously painful) learning experience for him, which can lead to him becoming a better GM, in having learned from making a mistake.  For all we know his next coach may be someone who he's not close with at all.

A scenario that may better serve everyone involved, especially the men in uniform.  It’s not necessary for a head coach to be liked by his players, but it is important that he’s respected by them and will hold them accountable.  Outside of Holtz and Timo, was anyone on the roster punished for poor play or bad behavior?  Granted, none of us has been in the locker room, but it seemed as though certain players were given an infinite number of chances, even after major mistakes and lapses in performance.

52 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

A lot of Crystal Palace fans want them out as owners. Seen a few banners about it at games, I'm sure it doesn't help they are American either. I don't follow their other sports teams enough to know what those fans think. 

Unless you’re Rob and Ryan rescuing a fifth tier club from insolvency all Yank owners get frowned on overseas lol

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, aylbert said:

He said the stadium series gave him hope...  
I would have rather been blown out by the Flyers if it meant he was fired then.

I think the season was toast either way. Only memorable thing of this season was the outdoor game, it's all we have so I'm glad we won. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, aylbert said:

He said the stadium series gave him hope...  
I would have rather been blown out by the Flyers if it meant he was fired then.

Take That Back Jason Sudeikis GIF by Saturday Night Live

Getting destroyed by the Flyers in what essentially was our home stadium series in NEVER an option.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Take That Back Jason Sudeikis GIF by Saturday Night Live

Getting destroyed by the Flyers in what essentially was our home stadium series in NEVER an option.

Especially with Torts behind the Flyers’ bench.  Losing to that man is never acceptable.

• Like 3

One thing I'll say about Holtz - I think he's certainly gone and I'd bet as soon as this Friday. It was weird/surprising to hear Fitz to speak so bluntly about him, yet cite the "human element" when discussing the goalie situation earlier. Hmm. He's also still clearly on the 4th line, even Chris freakin' Tierney is ahead of him. At this point it feels like he's a goner by Friday, in a Markstrom deal, and thus there isn't much to be gained by trying to boost his value by giving him top-6 or top-9 minutes. 

Edited by nmigliore
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

One thing I'll say about Holtz - I think he's certainly gone and I'd bet as soon as this Friday. It was weird/surprising to hear Fitz to speak so bluntly about him, yet cite the "human element" when discussing the goalie situation earlier.

It's very clear that Lindy hated Holtz... and had Fitzy ear and backing of this assessment.  Fitzy's spoke with near disdain for Holtz - and clearly won't be heartbroken sending him out for a goalie if the opportunity arises.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, aylbert said:

It's very clear that Lindy hated Holtz... and had Fitzy ear and backing of this assessment.  Fitzy's spoke with near disdain for Holtz - and clearly won't be heartbroken sending him out for a goalie if the opportunity arises.

If Fitz decides to trade Holtz—and all indications are that he will—he’d better be making the right decision.  If Holtz blossoms somewhere else, Fitz is going to have a lot of egg on his face.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

If Fitz decides to trade Holtz—and all indications are that he will—he’d better be making the right decision.  If Holtz blossoms somewhere else, Fitz is going to have a lot of egg on his face.

He was extremely dismissive of Holtz and his goal scoring... and was more concerned about all around play off the puck.
Holtz is going to be a goal scorer in this league.  That's hard to do.
And it's going to be even harder watching him do it in the Western Conference.   

• Like 3
  • Angry 1

5 minutes ago, aylbert said:

He was extremely dismissive of Holtz and his goal scoring... and was more concerned about all around play off the puck.
Holtz is going to be a goal scorer in this league.  That's hard to do.
And it's going to be even harder watching him do it in the Western Conference.   

Plus, Holtz being moved likely means that Toffoli—who can’t play with Jack and whose presence is forcing Timo out of position—is staying beyond this season.  I’ve already made my feelings about Toffoli plain, so I’ll simply reiterate that Fitz needs to be right about these moves.  If they blow up in his face, he deserves to lose his job.

• Like 4

Just now, ButlerBulldog said:

Plus, Holtz being moved likely means that Toffoli—who can’t play with Jack and whose presence is forcing Timo out of position—is staying beyond this season.  I’ve already made my feelings about Toffoli plain, so I’ll simply reiterate that Fitz needs to be right about these moves.  If they blow up in his face, he deserves to lose his job.

Fitz wants Toffoli back, but they don't agree on term.    If we can get a 1st rounder for him, I want him off this team.
We committed to Timo, we need to build around him and not build around Toffoli.  

• Like 2

My take:

1) First off, the reporters on this really put Fitz on the spot with some pretty pointed questions. So we'll done to them , was refreshing to see.

2) Mixed messages on Holtz, early on in the conference Fitz said something about young players not learning anything with their arse glued to the bench. Which I read as maybe some criticism of Lindys handling of Holtz. But later on he kind of went in on him in quite a direct manner. Given he was jumping through hoops to cut the two goaltenders slack and not make it personal,I was pretty shocked. One thing I will say is that if Fitz is trying to package Holtz, probably best not to call out his work ethic in a press conference. 

3) Fitz has clearly been working the phones, I think if anything it shows he was doing his best to get Lindy what he needed so he didn't have to pull the trigger now and fire him. I got a real sense of personal responsibility for the situation the team is in from Fitz. Think he has learned a big lesson from this experience. 

4) I think Toffoli is traded before Friday. The fact that Fitz referenced there was a difference in term makes me think that Fitz will make sure he can get something back. He can circle back in the summer and he kind of hinted at that. To me he was trying to sound as non committal as possible, but it didn't really work.

I think if Fits should take anything away from this it's that he needs to be more visible. There were three rounds of general housekeeping/injury update questions, literally because he isn't avaliable for such long stretches.

• Like 5

I lost even more faith after watching that press conference. Throwing Holtz under the bus was unfair imo. Didn’t single anyone else out. And basically admitted he was willingly blind to seeing the need for a coaching change for months.

Oh, and he wants to extend Toffoli. Fitz is a clown.

Edited by devlman
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, devlman said:

I lost even more faith after watching that press conference. Throwing Holtz under the bus was unfair imo. Didn’t single anyone else out. And basically admitted he was willingly blind to seeing the need for a coaching change for months.

Agreed.   I said it yesterday, but I just want to know their is a plan.   Instead, he came off as a defeated man upset he had to fire Lindy.  He could have very much used this press conference to address that Lindy wasn't getting the results from the roster, nor getting the buy-in needed from the players to improve.   Instead, it was a man defeated just giving off "I'm trying my best" vibe.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, devlman said:

A little unfair, he was asked specifically about Holtz