GDT: 3/23/24 Senators @ Devils 7:00 pm MSGSN

ButlerBulldog

24 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

Last year, man I really liked this guy, his personality, play, bought into NJ… he’s just part of the sinking ship right now, on deck playing violin while the rest of us stand by watching 

We constantly get fooled by occasional stellar games. The team is just fvcking awful. There's nothing left that hasn't been already said. I'm sick and tired of their puck mismanagement, stupid decision making, constant turnovers, overpassing, etc, etc, etc. fvck this season.

Edited by Devs64

21 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Middle of the pack. Bahl and Nemec were both horrendous. 

Not at all surprised to see Haula, Bahl, and Nemec at the bottom.  This was probably Simon’s worst game this season, and it’s not a coincidence that his sloppy play over the past few games overlaps with his being paired with Smith.  For the life of me, I will never understand why this coaching staff insists on giving so much playing time to the NHL’s worst defenseman.  

If the Devils aren’t going to make the playoffs—and tonight is a perfect example of why they won’t—then they should prioritize the development of their young players, which means keeping them away from Smith.  Let “Dawson” Marino play with him.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

You mean you didn’t enjoy Lindy telling Novo he doesn’t know the game?

That was at least one of the few memorable ones. I think most people usually forgot what he had to say by the end of the interviews. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Devs64 said:

We constantly get fooled by occasional stellar games. The team is just fvcking awful. There's nothing left that hasn't been already said. I'm sick and tired of their puck mismanagement, stupid decision making, constant turnovers, overpassing, etc, etc, etc. fvck this season.

That’s to be blamed on the coaching staff my dude, this gm better go out and bring in someone with a spine in the offseason, along with a solid #1 goaltender regardless of the cost, we have nothing in the pipe. If this season has shown anything, you need a legitimate goalie to be competitive and a confident structure in front of it which we haven’t had all season. In all honesty, this has to be one of the most embarrassing/ disappointing seasons I’ve gone through as a devils fan (and I’ve been following since I was about 7 years old 1997). The expectations were absolutely there to atleast be competitive, we brought in Toff in the offseason which looked like a great add, my god did we fall so far from where we should have been. Everything is about growth and we literally went backwards, I’m disappointed, hurt, mad, down right embarrassed.. I don’t know what other words to describe this season. 

3 hours ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Chico: “People keeping saying that the Devils play down to their competition, but I don’t think that’s the case.”

Yes, Chico, it is.

Chico with a stinging remark there. Says they're not too good.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

I swear, it was like this team saw they had a chance to draw within four and said “fvck this, no more hockey this year” and tanked that game away.

11 games cannot come soon enough

I won't root for anyone else until the Devils are mathematically eliminated, but I'll probably hope the Caps get the final spot once we're done because the Wings are arguably the only team who deserves the playoffs less than us.

This team simply hasn't played well enough to get in.  And that's a reflection on all of them.  They've had stellar goaltending for 5 games and they lost two of them, Vegas and Ottawa, because they couldn't score more than a goal or two. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jerrydevil said:

Chico with a stinging remark there. Says they're not too good.

The thing is, he followed up that comment by trying to rationalize what’s happened this season.  It was actually Matt who made the stinging remark by suggesting that the Devils are showing everyone who they are.  After an awkward pause, Chico reluctantly agreed.

11 hours ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

That’s to be blamed on the coaching staff my dude, this gm better go out and bring in someone with a spine in the offseason, along with a solid #1 goaltender regardless of the cost, we have nothing in the pipe. If this season has shown anything, you need a legitimate goalie to be competitive and a confident structure in front of it which we haven’t had all season. In all honesty, this has to be one of the most embarrassing/ disappointing seasons I’ve gone through as a devils fan (and I’ve been following since I was about 7 years old 1997). The expectations were absolutely there to atleast be competitive, we brought in Toff in the offseason which looked like a great add, my god did we fall so far from where we should have been. Everything is about growth and we literally went backwards, I’m disappointed, hurt, mad, down right embarrassed.. I don’t know what other words to describe this season. 

I’m disappointed, hurt, mad, down right embarrassed.. I don’t know what other words to describe this season. - that's exactly how I and, I'm sure, many of us feel too. Indeed, we went backwards having a very talented young core. It's mind blowing how much this team regressed in one year. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Devs64 said:

I’m disappointed, hurt, mad, down right embarrassed.. I don’t know what other words to describe this season. - that's exactly how I and, I'm sure, many of us feel too. Indeed, we went backwards having a very talented young core. It's mind blowing how much this team regressed in one year. 

Fitz has just GOTTA nail the coaching hire.

If he had canned Lindy earlier and hired someone like Berube that made sense but saw such a move not work out, I would’ve given him another hire after that.  But the way he handled this season overall, I only give him one shot.

Jack will be entering his Age 23 season, Nico his Age 25/26, Bratt his Age 26, and Timo his Age 28…and not like Dougie is getting any younger.  Luke and Nemec are still very much kids but paydays for both aren’t far off.

Every season going forward needs to be approached with actual urgency.  Both Shero and Fitz seem to approach any given Plan A not working out as “Maybe next year, not giving up any assets to try to right this year, I’m saving them for the offseason.”  No more punting.  It wasn’t acceptable this season and it especially won’t be going forward.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If he had canned Lindy earlier and hired someone like Berube that made sense but saw such a move not work out, I would’ve given him another hire after that.  But the way he handled this season overall, I only give him one shot.

Jack will be entering his Age 23 season, Nico his Age 25/26, Bratt his Age 26, and Timo his Age 28…and not like Dougie is getting any younger.  Luke and Nemec are still very much kids but paydays for both aren’t far off.

Every season going forward needs to be approached with actual urgency.  Both Shero and Fitz seem to approach any given Plan A not working out as “Maybe next year, not giving up any assets to try to right this year, I’m saving them for the offseason.”  No more punting.  It wasn’t acceptable this season and it especially won’t be going forward.

💯💯💯💯💯💯💯

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Agree with all of this.  Because this team’s core is young, it’s easy to delude oneself into thinking the Devils have plenty of time to build a contender, but theirs is a smaller window than most realize.  If they don’t improve substantially next season, they’ll likely have only 1-2 more years before the aforementioned core is broken up—and that’s assuming their next general manager exercises any patience.  Another year like this one, and Fitz is almost certainly gone, and hard questions are being asked about whether Jack, Nico, Bratt, Timo, etc. constitute the nucleus of a championship team.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Agree with all of this.  Because this team’s core is young, it’s easy to delude oneself into thinking the Devils have plenty of time to build a contender, but theirs is a smaller window than most realize.  If they don’t improve substantially next season, they’ll likely have only 1-2 more years before the aforementioned core is broken up—and that’s assuming their next general manager exercises any patience.  Another year like this one, and Fitz is almost certainly gone, and hard questions are being asked about whether Jack, Nico, Bratt, Timo, etc. constitute the nucleus of a championship team.

These players are not being held accountable, and it’s obvious. This ‘show up when we feel like it’ bullsh!t wouldn’t be tolerated under a real coach. The next coach has to be a fvcking whip cracker that way. EVERYONE held to the same standard of accountability. Not selective punishment like this idiot staff utilizes for certain players. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

These players are not being held accountable, and it’s obvious. This ‘show up when we feel like it’ bullsh!t wouldn’t be tolerated under a real coach. The next coach has to be a fvcking whip cracker that way. EVERYONE held to the same standard of accountability. Not selective punishment like this idiot staff utilizes for certain players. 

Agree with this as well.  The only players from whom I’ve seen consistent effort over the last several games are Allen, Nico, and maybe Timo.  Luke has also picked up his play after a difficult stretch.  The rest of the group has behaved as though it can turn it on whenever it wants.  

Even someone like Nemec, who’s been arguably the Devils’ best defenseman despite his youth, has played poorly three out of the last four games, with last night being his worst performance to date.  He deserved to sit after failing to do anything to stop the 3-on-1 that led to a goal, but instead he was back out there when it was time for his next shift.  Of course, Simon should never have been in a position where he needed to contain three men at once, a consequence of his being paired with Brendan Smith, who’s never punished no matter how often he screws up.

I hope that when April 16 rolls around, these players are embarrassed to be cleaning out their lockers as other teams begin preparing for the postseason.  They deserve to spend the entire summer feeling badly about the opportunity they’ve wasted, and the coaches who enabled their ineptitude deserve to be shown the door.

Edited by ButlerBulldog
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Another year like this one, and Fitz is almost certainly gone, and hard questions are being asked about whether Jack, Nico, Bratt, Timo, etc. constitute the nucleus of a championship team.

Idk about championship (hell - all these years later and we’re still questioning Toronto’s core), but the one time this team actually had a good coach behind the bench they set a franchise record for wins, and were one of the best teams in the league. We know a better coach can win with them. 

• Like 1