2024 Offseason Thread - It’s FINALLY here

A narrative has circulated connecting the Devils with Ottawa Senators captain, Brady Tkachuk. Whether that’s realistic or not is certainly in question. However, if Tkachuk is available, the Devils GM should be knocking down Steve Staios’ door with an offer. However, if he isn’t, who else is cut from a similar cloth that would fit in the Devils’ top six and brings a bit of elbow grease? https://newjerseyhockeynow.com/2024/04/26/3-gritty-top-six-forwards-for-the-new-jersey-devils-to-target-via-trade-lawson-crouse-eeli-tolvanen-sam-bennett-jack-hughes-jesper-bratt/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR3YhDoFebYqN2uwdPbdNQoET9CZLmWA2WglIuLxe5gcNQQ08aY-934BXHQ_aem_AdbtgCkt6ZrXE3SZU2KdOJEV2kLc5lJmHuGTUrEmu21u2sLKEpBL8QK1rcu-JqQwzpta0rfCQ5iPcVMRj4Ex8eFX#google_vignette If Fitz can somehow pull off Brady Tkachuk, that would go a long way to his redemption.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

A narrative has circulated connecting the Devils with Ottawa Senators captain, Brady Tkachuk. Whether that’s realistic or not is certainly in question. However, if Tkachuk is available, the Devils GM should be knocking down Steve Staios’ door with an offer. However, if he isn’t, who else is cut from a similar cloth that would fit in the Devils’ top six and brings a bit of elbow grease? https://newjerseyhockeynow.com/2024/04/26/3-gritty-top-six-forwards-for-the-new-jersey-devils-to-target-via-trade-lawson-crouse-eeli-tolvanen-sam-bennett-jack-hughes-jesper-bratt/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR3YhDoFebYqN2uwdPbdNQoET9CZLmWA2WglIuLxe5gcNQQ08aY-934BXHQ_aem_AdbtgCkt6ZrXE3SZU2KdOJEV2kLc5lJmHuGTUrEmu21u2sLKEpBL8QK1rcu-JqQwzpta0rfCQ5iPcVMRj4Ex8eFX#google_vignette If Fitz can somehow pull off Brady Tkachuk, that would go a long way to his redemption.

Tkachuk would be a big step in the right direction.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I don’t know and I don’t care; but if they’re stupid enough to actually do it, Fitz better be first in line. 

No doubt. He missed out on his other cousin. Just doesn’t seem like something that’s even remotely likely. 

• Like 2

I’ve been told a few things they are reportedly looking at, but have  heard nothing about this.

That in itself absolutely doesn’t mean it isn’t true, but such a deal also doesn’t make a lot of sense or seem feasible given what OTT would understandably demand in return. 

As for Crouse, OTOH . . . no comment.

Edited by smelly
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Mercer, Holtz, Casey?

Plus this year’s first, plus another pick probably. It would be expensive as hell. But it would be worth it. Also- Tkachuk signed an extension not long ago. Can we even afford him?

Edited by MadDog2020

14 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Plus this year’s first, plus another pick probably. It would be expensive as hell. But it would be worth it. Also- Tkachuk signed an extension not long ago. Can we even afford him?

I think we'd almost have to move out Palat as part of such a deal.

I think a trade for Brady would most likely involve Simon Nemec and Dawson Mercer. 

Do I want to give up Nemec? No. And I know this sounds blasphemous, but I would rather give up Luke if Ottawa wants a d-man in exchange. 

I'm torn on Bratt. I think he's a solid top 6 forward, but the question is, does he have that poise and determination to go in the trenches come playoff time.  He also has a hefty salary which would need to come off the books to fit in a Brady Tkachuk type of player.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Bratt for Brady.

Who adds, who says no.

Interesting.

Tkachuk has four years left on his current deal, and Bratt has seven.  So Ottawa would get three more years of a cost-controlled Bratt.  Tkachuk is about 14 months younger.

Bratt for Tkachuk alone probably won’t be enough, but if it ever became a case of Tkachuk simply wanting out that badly, Bratt + something else not too too prohibitive might get it done.  Bratt’s obviously become a plenty productive player since turning the corner but Tkachuk checks boxes that Bratt never will AND brings production of his own.  I think I’d have to make that deal.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Interesting.

Tkachuk has four years left on his current deal, and Bratt has seven.  So Ottawa would get three more years of a cost-controlled Bratt.  Tkachuk is two years younger.

Bratt for Tkachuk alone probably won’t be enough, but if it ever became a case of Tkachuk simply wanting out that badly, Bratt + something else not too too prohibitive might get it done.  Bratt’s obviously become a plenty productive player since turning the corner but Tkachuk checks boxes that Bratt never will AND brings production of his own.  I think I’d have to make that deal.

I would do it too. I love Jesper, but like you said, Tkachuk brings production AND sandpaper, along with additional leadership. I’d do it and not think twice. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Brady Tkachuk would be awesome!  Not only could bring the elbow grease, but some might rub off on to the rest of team.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/pittsburgh-penguins/latest-news/pittsburgh-penguins-coach-considering-joining-new-jersey-devils

i think Sullivan could be a good fit.  His system would work with the Devils young and fast core.  He also believes in excellent conditioning.

I would 100% welcome Sullivan or Berube

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Interesting.

Tkachuk has four years left on his current deal, and Bratt has seven.  So Ottawa would get three more years of a cost-controlled Bratt.  Tkachuk is about 14 months younger.

There is no way Bratt would not be enough in a deal. Tkachuk brings sandpaper but he’s also a dolt of a player. His IQ is low, he takes dumb penalties all the time and his production isn’t anything where you’d have to throw players into a deal in addition to Bratt.

Theres a reason he’s captained disappointing team after disappointing team year after year. His on ice leadership sucks. That said, I’d take him in a heartbeat because of his intangibles and because he’s a good player and what we need. For Bratt? Hell no. For Bratt plus more assets? Stop.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, devlman said:

There is no way Bratt would not be enough in a deal. Tkachuk brings sandpaper but he’s also a dolt of a player. His IQ is low, he takes dumb penalties all the time and his production isn’t anything where you’d have to throw players into a deal in addition to Bratt.

Theres a reason he’s captained disappointing team after disappointing team year after year. His on ice leadership sucks. That said, I’d take him in a heartbeat because of his intangibles and because he’s a good player and what we need. For Bratt? Hell no. For Bratt plus more assets? Stop.

Over the past three seasons, Tkahcuk has scored 102 goals and added 122 assists in 242 games; Bratt has scored 85 goals and added 144 assists in 240 games.  For whatever it’s worth, Tkachuk has scored 30+ goals in each of the past three seasons, but their overall point production is obviously close.

Is a team’s results now tied strictly to the captain?  I think Nico’s a good captain…is it somehow on him that the 2023-24 Devils had a bad year?  At any rate, I doubt you watch enough of the Sens or follow them to the point where you have any idea what kind of a leader Tkachuk is…at any rate, if he was such an awful captain or had such nonexistent hockey IQ, wouldn’t he have been stripped of the “C” by now?  

In a perfect world, would I love it if Fitz could get Tkachuk AND keep Bratt?  Sure.  I have no issues with Bratt at this point in his career…yeah, he can disappear for games at a time, but for his prime he should be good for 70-85 points per 82 GP.  And when he gets hot, he can pile up the points in bunches.

But assuming there’s the slightest bit of truth to any interest in Tkachuk, do you really think the Devils wouldn’t have to give up something of value?  How much do they really have to offer, especially since it’s obvious that certain players are considered to be absolutely untouchable?  At least if the Devils give up Bratt (and it would be hard to see him go), the Sens would still potentially not miss much of a beat as far as offensive numbers go.  And cap considerations are clearly a concern here…to take on Tkachuk’s hit, a similar kind of hit would have to go the other way.  And no the Sens aren’t going to take Palat’s hit in a deal for Tkachuk, unless Fitz gives them a hell of a package of picks and prospects.

Like you said, Tkachuk absolutely brings intangibles (such as physicality of course) and even though I like Bratt, Tkachuk brings things to the table that Bratt simply can’t, and with no dropoff in offense.  So why should the Sens accept a straight-up trade?  BTW I didn’t say that Fitz should throw in something MAJOR going back, but yeah, I don’t think Bratt alone would be quite enough for Tkachuk.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Like you said, Tkachuk absolutely brings intangibles (such as physicality of course) and even though I like Bratt, Tkachuk brings things to the table that Bratt simply can’t, and with no dropoff in offense.  So why should the Sens accept a straight-up trade?  BTW I didn’t say that Fitz should throw in something MAJOR going back, but yeah, I don’t think Bratt alone would be quite enough for Tkachuk.  

Ottawa can demand the moon since it is their captain and they don’t have to move him, but it would be foolish for the Devils to include Bratt on any deal. Why? Same reason you gave for Tkachuk’s value - the things he brings that the other does not. Bratt provides things like speed, on-ice awareness, puck handling, chemistry with our top centers that Tkachuk cannot. Bratt is also locked down longer term. 

Edited by devlman
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/27/2024 at 10:37 PM, devlman said:

Ottawa can demand the moon since it is their captain and they don’t have to move him, but it would be foolish for the Devils to include Bratt on any deal. Why? Same reason you gave for Tkachuk’s value - the things he brings that the other does not. Bratt provides things like speed, on-ice awareness, puck handling, chemistry with our top centers that Tkachuk cannot. Bratt is also locked down longer term. 

Why the assumption that Tkachuk won’t have or can’t possibly develop chemistry with Nico or Jack?  Obviously we wouldn’t know until we actually see them play together, but I’m not just going to assume they can’t possibly click.  As far as contracts go, I can’t say if having Bratt locked up for an extra three seasons is a good thing or a bad thing…that’s a question that can’t be answered until later, as mileage very much varies on these 8-year deals.

Also not sure why you have Brady as being this borderline dumbass of a hockey player.

I see this as more Tkachuk brings some things the Devils desperately need, in one package (production and physicality).  If you’d rather just keep Bratt and try to address upping team physicality through other moves, I certainly wouldn’t be against that.  Some kind of Bratt-for-Tkachuk move would help to make the Devils a different kind of team, but Fitz would still have to go Top 6-shopping as a result.

If Brady is truly a target for Fitz this offseason, I just don’t see how he adds him through moving other assets.  I don’t think he wants to give up Luke or Nemec, and at this point, I definitely don’t want that either.  Luke is only entering his Age 21 season, and Nemec his Age 20/21.  

• Like 1